[Drama 2021] River Where the Moon Rises, 달이 뜨는 강

elan1

On 1/8/2021 at 5:00 AM, elan1 said:

it is! I don’t think anyone translated it or spoiled the ending. The book is loosely based from the folklore legend that is loosely based on real life events from what I heard. And in that folklore, the male lead dies in battle :( so honestly expect a bittersweet ending. 

Can you elaborate a little on their relationship? I might have misunderstood the drama synopsis but it seems like Princess Pyeonggang takes advantage of his feelings for her (and eventually falls for him too)?

On 1/20/2021 at 5:26 AM, Vera Vainio said:

I’m so excited for this drama for 2 main reasons : its set during Goreyo dynasty (most historical kdramas are set during Joseon dynasty) and the FL is a badass warrior!! (Ofc also the romance excites me...) 

Goreyo seems more idk how to describe... more ”free” than joseon dynasty , women seemed to have more rights, there was no confucianism yet in Korea. Actually not just women , but everyone in general was more free

Totally agree.  That's one of the reasons I'm excited too.  i love the feel and look of Goryeo dramas compared to Joseon and omen had so much more autonomy, choices and freedom during this period before Confucianism took away their rights and freedoms.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

44 minutes ago, raziela said:

Can you elaborate a little on their relationship? I might have misunderstood the drama synopsis but it seems like Princess Pyeonggang takes advantage of his feelings for her (and eventually falls for him too)?

the novel and the folklore has many stark differences from what I was told and supposedly the drama is being influenced by both. And supposedly there are things added in that are not in both works. 

ondal is known as a pacifist, someone who chooses peace over violence. Princess is aware of his feelings for her, and he is willing to bend his peace philosophy to help her whenever she needed his assistance. I wouldn’t say that she “used” or “exploited” him like a tool but he was more than willing to serve her in any capacity. And he did fall in love with her first before she fell for him. 

it seems in the teasers, that she lost her memory for sometime before she regains it and that he has his own identity crisis. And it seems they both loved each other in the teaser before she regained her memory(?). 

in the novel, supposedly it was more political and she wasn’t a warrior but she was great at fighting in the folktale and she trained ondal to be a great general. In the folktale his father was never mentioned either, so it was added into the story. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, yeli said:
I love the main couple, but I’m also looking forward to their chemistry.

Me too. I really wonder their chemistry. Maybe princess will marry with him after Ondal's death to protect Goguryeo :idk:

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

7 hours ago, yeli said:

love the main couple, but I’m also looking forward to their chemistry

Ikr me too, I can’t wait to see their story :wub:

7 hours ago, Breeze said:

Maybe princess will marry with him after Ondal's death to protect Gogury

strong possibility :P

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

15 hours ago, elan1 said:

the novel and the folklore has many stark differences from what I was told and supposedly the drama is being influenced by both. And supposedly there are things added in that are not in both works. 

ondal is known as a pacifist, someone who chooses peace over violence. Princess is aware of his feelings for her, and he is willing to bend his peace philosophy to help her whenever she needed his assistance. I wouldn’t say that she “used” or “exploited” him like a tool but he was more than willing to serve her in any capacity. And he did fall in love with her first before she fell for him. 

it seems in the teasers, that she lost her memory for sometime before she regains it and that he has his own identity crisis. And it seems they both loved each other in the teaser before she regained her memory(?). 

in the novel, supposedly it was more political and she wasn’t a warrior but she was great at fighting in the folktale and she trained ondal to be a great general. In the folktale his father was never mentioned either, so it was added into the story. 

Thanks a lot for all that information.
I'm also glad to know Ondal isn't actually an idiot.  I didn't realise there was going to be a memory loss storyline.  Not really one of my favourite tropes but will see how the drama handles it.

9 hours ago, yeli said:

I love the main couple, but I’m also looking forward to their chemistry. :fullofhearts:

I am too actually.  I wonder what their relationship will be like.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

2 minutes ago, raziela said:

Thanks a lot for all that information.
I'm also glad to know Ondal isn't actually an idiot.  I didn't realise there was going to be a memory loss storyline.  Not really one of my favourite tropes but will see how the drama handles it.

I am too actually.  I wonder what their relationship will be like.

yes only in the folktale he was considered an idiot (but have potential to overcome that that “idiot” label) ... also rumors were spread that he was hideous looking and had a hunchback. But those were all unfounded rumors. Princess recognizes his potential and not only trains him how to be a good warrior but how to read and write.

I personally dislike amnesia plots when they add it into the drama at the last minute or near the end of the series. I enjoyed it when used early onto the series, I love seeing the inner turmoil of characters :lol:

2nd male lead:

I’m going to make the assumption that they are like star cross lovers, but one sided :P He is the son of her father’s enemy and will most likely be somewhat antagonist to her in the beginning but will come around, be fascinated with her and support her ideals. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

8 minutes ago, elan1 said:

I personally dislike amnesia plots when they add it into the drama at the last minute or near the end of the series. I enjoyed it when used early onto the series, I love seeing the inner turmoil of characters :lol:

Good point. I agree it can work when it is an organic part of the story early on but not when dramas throw it in at the last moment for added angst.

34 minutes ago, elan1 said:

2nd male lead:

I’m going to make the assumption that they are like star cross lovers, but one sided :P He is the son of her father’s enemy and will most likely be somewhat antagonist to her in the beginning but will come around, be fascinated with her and support her ideals. 

This sounds intriguing enough for a drama all of its own haha:P

• LOL 1
  • Blob 2

Upcoming Historical Drama “River Where The Moon Rises” Shares Glimpse Of Lee Ji Hoon As Top Elite General

KBS 2TV’s new drama “River Where The Moon Rises” has released the first stills of Lee Ji Hoon!

A reinterpretation of a classic Goguryeo folk tale, “River Where the Moon Rises” will tell the famous love story of Princess Pyeonggang (played by Kim So Hyun) and On Dal (played by Ji Soo). In the drama, Lee Ji Hoon plays Go Geon, the top elite general of Goguryeo.

On January 25, the drama’s production team gave a peek at Go Geon. The general looks relaxed and confident, and his aura shines with dignity and grace. The first thing that stands out is his handsome appearance. His facial features are both soft and manly, and his smile exudes sweet gentleness. It is understandable why the women of Goguryeo are captivated by him.

Go Geon also remains prominent with his charisma as he walks with his fellow soldiers. He is from a wealthy family, and he excels in martial arts, making him the best general of Goguryeo. It was as if he was born to be at the top of the ladder.

However, he will suffer from unrequited love when he meets Pyeonggang. Despite his wealth and status, he is unable to win her heart, and as a result, he will undergo changes that will also affect the princess.

lee-ji-hoon-11.jpg

The production team shared, “Lee Ji Hoon was perfect for the role of Go Geon, a flawless man who has everything. In addition, the actor himself is showing extraordinary passion for the character, making Go Geon even more appealing. Please look forward to the performances of charming actor Lee Ji Hoon as he plays Go Geun, the most attractive man of Goguryeo.”

“River Where the Moon Rises” premieres on February 15 at 9:30 p.m. KST and will be available with subtitles on Viki.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1450782wpp/upcoming-historical-drama-river-where-the-moon-rises-shares-glimpse-of-lee-ji-hoon-as-top-elite-general

• Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

Choi Yoo Hwa Becomes A Mysterious And Manipulative Woman In Upcoming Drama “River Where The Moon Rises”

KBS 2TV’s new historical drama “River Where the Moon Rises” released the first set of stills of Choi Yoo Hwa!

A reinterpretation of a classic Goguryeo folk tale, “River Where the Moon Rises” will tell the famous love story of Princess Pyeonggang (played by Kim So Hyun) and On Dal (played by Ji Soo).

In the drama, Choi Yoo Hwa will be Hae Mo Yong, who is determined to control Goguryeo and play with it as she wants. She is a woman with a beautiful face, a meticulous personality, a special power to foresee the future, and a big secret of her own.

In the new stills, Hae Mo Yong exudes a mystical aura, which is further enhanced by her enchanting appearance. Her eyes are intense with a hint of mischievousness, and they seem to penetrate through everything and everyone. Her outfit is also eye-catching. As the adopted daughter of Hae Ji Wol (Jung In Kyum), one of the most powerful men of Goguryeo, she owns unique clothing and jewelry that shows the dignity of the Hae family. She will be able to pursue her ambitions with the help of her adoptive father’s power, and she will dominate Goguryeo with her mysterious, manipulative ways.

The production team shared, “Hae Mo Yong’s secret will greatly affect the development of the drama. As it is such an important role, Choi Yoo Hwa and the production team are creating Hae Mo Young with extraordinary passion. Please look forward to Hae Mo Young’s strong impact in the drama, and we ask you to wait for the premiere of ‘River Where the Moon Rises.'”

“River Where the Moon Rises” premieres on February 15 at 9:30 p.m. KST and will be available with subtitles on Viki.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1450958wpp/choi-yoo-hwa-becomes-a-mysterious-and-manipulative-woman-in-upcoming-drama-river-where-the-moon-rises

• Blob 4

Viu announces new Korean Viu Original drama series ‘River Where the Moon Rises’ 

TVA Editor, 4 hours ago  0  3 min  77  

Viu, a leading pan-regional OTT video streaming service operated by Viu International Limited, has revealed its latest Viu Original, a highly anticipated Korean period romance drama series titled River Where the Moon Rises.

Set to premiere exclusively on Viu on February 15, 2021, River Where the Moon Rises is adapted from a Korean folktale recorded in The History of the Three Kingdoms and based on Princess Pyeonggang (Kim So Hyun) and her General, On Dal (Ji Soo).

Born as a princess but raised as a soldier, young Pyeonggang sets out on a tour of the kingdom with her mother, the Empress, during which they arrive at a village where they meet General On Hyeop and his son, On Dal. Sharing with him her goal of becoming Goguryeo’s first queen with her intellect and confidence, the straightforward On Dal laughs at her lofty dreams as women do not engage in state affairs, though he means no harm. Meanwhile, the Empress is seeking help from General On Hyeop due to the schemes and conspiracies ongoing in the kingdom, but the two are assassinated in the process. The story follows Pyeonggang’s quest to uncover dark and dangerous conspiracies in the kingdom.

The series features Kim So Hyun, who is well-known among K-drama fans for her varied roles in everything from historical dramas to rom-coms. Kim began her career as a child actress in 2006 and initially gained fame for playing a villainous young queen-to-be in Moon Embracing the Sun. Subsequently, she took on leading roles in hit dramas such as Who Are You: School 2015, The Emperor: Owner of the Mask, and even won the Excellence Award at the 2019 KBS Drama Awards for her portrayal of a clumsy, yet hot-tempered courtesan in The Tale of Nokdu. Most recently, she is reported to be the youngest actress to surpass 10 million followers on Instagram which illustrates her popularity around the world.
Playing On Dal, Ji Soo captivates audiences with his boyish charms and athletic looks. He has appeared in romance dramas including When I Was the Most Beautiful and all-time favourite JTBC title Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. He also played the love-struck prince Wang Jung in 2016 time-travel period drama Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo – a K-drama classic.

River Where the Moon Rises is produced by established South Korean production house Victory Contents. Behind the lens, Yun Sang Ho (Kingmaker: The Change of Destiny and Saimdang, Memoirs of Colors) will direct and writer Han Ji Hoon helms the production of the series (Temptation  and Women of 9.9 Billion 99).

Ms. Virginia Lim, Chief Content Officer, Viu, said, “Viu is committed to offering the best of premium Asian entertainment content to delight our viewers. In 2021, we are excited to be investing in more original productions and especially Korean drama series which offer outstanding production quality, stunning cinematography, and visual effects. With an exceptional script and amazing talent, River Where the Moon Rises is not to be missed.”

Viu-ers in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, Myanmar, Hong Kong, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Jordan, and Egypt will be able to watch River Where the Moon Rises exclusively on Viu on February 15, 2021. This series and other top performing titles such as True Beauty and Mr. Queen, as well as the upcoming* The Penthouse 2 ,  Mouse,  Luca, and Dear.M can be watched on the Viu app which can be downloaded for free on App Store, Google Play, and selected smart TVs, as well as on the web at www.viu.com.

https://tva.onscreenasia.com/2021/01/viu-new-korean-viu-original-drama-series-river-where-the-moon-rises/

cr:shirlley0604,ig

• Blob 3