Mi Er as Yao Mowan (young)
Zhang Jun Ning as Ye Hongyi
Liang Jia Tong as Ye Hongyi (young)
Cheng Yan Qiu as Yao Moxin
Yan Zi Dong as Han Jinyi
Zhang Xuan as Yao Suluan
Wen Li as Ben Lei
Chen Ying Ying as Wang Qinruo
Guan Xin Liu Yang as Wang Qinruo (young)
Yang Xin Ming as Yao Zhenting

Synopsis:

It is the early 12th century in the city now known as Nanjing. War threatens to erupt across the land of Da Chu, and the Imperial court is rife with corruption and intrigue.

The cruel Emperor’s and his corrupt cronies plot to kill the Empress – and are successful in their malicious efforts. Meanwhile, other vindictive parties chase down Yao Mo Wan (Li Mo Zhi), the Empress’ illegitimate younger sister.

However, the night is stormy and full of mystery. The dead queen’s spirit enters the body of her younger sister…intent on taking revenge on the people who wronged her.

Yao Mo Wan enters the Imperial Court, bent on seeking vengeance.

She also meets (and falls for) Ye Jun Qing (Chen Zhe Yuan), a young Da Chu prince.

As she discovers the scale of the corruption at court, she decides to do her best to see that Ye Jun Qing deposes the evil Emperor using the best tools at her disposal: her wits and natural intelligence.

This drama was based on a graphic novel named “The Cry of the Phoenix that Reached Ninth Heaven.”

(Source: DramaWiki) 

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Coming soon...

Additional Links:

Renascence 凤唳九天 Viki Episodes

Renascence 凤唳九天 Novel Translations

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to SoompiSupport

I'm torn from this drama. The two leads Chen Zhe Yuan 
and Li Mo Zhi have great chemistry. The costumes and the 
surroundings are also huge and let you immerse yourself 
in this story. Chen Zhe Yuan embodies Prince Su fabulously. 
However, it tears me apart that he first loses his great love
and now the plot is much more dramatic. 
Warning spoilers:
Spoiler

I am sad that Mo Wan is going to the palace and Ye Hong Yi's concubine. That would mean, since there are 2 souls in her body, that she shares the bed with him. 
I don't hope it happens. She loves Prince Su. 
Maybe someone can give an assessment of how something like this 
should be rated.
 I hope so much for a happy ending.
 * Am sad*

What can I say I've seen 12 episodes, and I have to say that for the moment it's great.... It's been a long time since a drama took me like this.
The male and female protagonists are very good at their part.
The sets and choreographies of the fights are wonderful, it looks like a high level production.
If it continues like this until the end, I can confidently say drama of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped this drama after 7 episodes and am very happy to have done so. Though the leads have good chemistry and I'm a sucker for historical dramas, I just couldn't get on board with this one at all. The body swap was confusing enough, but the crappy editing truly ruined it for me. So many plot holes and the pacing was just terrible. Whoever thought this should have been 70 episodes was insane, but to cut that in half just wrecked the drama. What a waste...

I agree with you, the cut from
 70 to 36 episodes
 resulted in missing storylines 
in the end. 
It confused me a little in many parts. 
The love story of the protagonists 
also fell short. 
The emperor had more screen time 
than the prince who starred. 
I think it's a shame that 
this drama 
was so messed up. 
I would love to 
see the whole story, 
then some things would be 
more logical.

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Renascence 凤唳九天

Despite the awful editing and cut, I want to mention the amazing job Chen Zhe Yuan has done. He was able to show a lot of different emotions his character goes through along the way, without, for example, over-exaggerated face expressions and goggle-eyed looks :D. I will definitely look back and watch his previous dramas.

In my opinion, this drama is the second drama I watched this year, that could have been a success, if not messed up like that (the first was Love in Between).

I wonder why it has been cut in half in the first place? Does anyone know?

On 10/29/2020 at 4:46 AM, leo2020 said:

Despite the awful editing and cut, I want to mention the amazing job Chen Zhe Yuan has done. He was able to show a lot of different emotions his character goes through along the way, without, for example, over-exaggerated face expressions and goggle-eyed looks :D. I will definitely look back and watch his previous dramas.

In my opinion, this drama is the second drama I watched this year, that could have been a success, if not messed up like that (the first was Love in Between).

I wonder why it has been cut in half in the first place? Does anyone know?

I agree that Chen Zhe Yuan did a great job. The drama had to be drastically cut because it was filmed prior to China's new 2020 law limiting dramas to 30ish episodes. In 2019 the drama lengths were getting out of hand, 75 is definitely crazy but there were so many in the 80-90 episode range and even some rumored to push 100. I'm definitely glad for the limit, although it seems some productions are trying to get around it with seasons now. 

China's new 2020 law limiting dramas to 30ish episodes

Yes, I've heard about the matter. However, I actually thought it would be obligatory only for new upcoming dramas, not for the series that are already in production/started/ended filming. In case of Renascence the situation is indeed very sad, because with all the quality and amount of work the production team and the actors did, we have no opportunity to enjoy it in full:(.

@leo2020 There were still some dramas released after the issuance of the guideline that exceeded 40 episodes. From an article I’ve read, the episode limit is not inflexible. Productions that exceed 40 episodes can submit a report to explain why so many episodes are necessary and promise there will not be any form of fillers.

Productions that exceed 40 episodes can submit a report to explain why so many episodes are necessary and promise there will not be any form of fillers.

That's great to hear. Unfortunately here we have what we have. Anyway, thanks for the information!

Archived