larus

12 hours ago, paolaadl said:

I thought that Kang Dan plot would be developed deeper in this week episodes but it didn't. I wonder if we will ever get to see her. Also, there's something I find inconsistent about that . Sol A said that Kang Dan is her twin sister but there are some informations that makes it look like she is actually older than Sol A. I mean... maybe I got it wrong but I think this is very weird.

From all the titbits from the show so far: 

-Kang Sol and Kang Dan are twins and look exactly like each other (identical twin). Pretty sure Ryu Hye Young is doing dual roles here. Her voice from the phone is the same, and the flashback shows Kang Dan briefly looks like Kang Sol with a different hair style. 

- The books Kang Sol tried to sell belong to Kang Dan, so in fact those books belong to the person who passed Hankuk admission. Kang Dan is indeed Joon Hwi's sunbae. 

- From the way Kang Sol's mom speak about Kang Dan. Kang Dan seems exceptionally smart, and I'm sure Kang Sol get compared with Kang Dan all the time and that probably the source of Kang Sol's insecurity and lack of self-confidence. 

The first year law school students are of different age. So for example Kang Sol is consider unni in her group, meaning she's older than the standard age to start first year. We also have the student who studied med school before starting first year law, so he belongs to the oldest one there as well. 

It's plausible that Kang Dan is same age with Kang Sol but well advanced in her studies/career because of how smart she is. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, kaqueski said:

From all the titbits from the show so far: 

-Kang Sol and Kang Dan are twins and look exactly like each other (identical twin). Pretty sure Ryu Hye Young is doing dual roles here. Her voice from the phone is the same, and the flashback shows Kang Dan briefly looks like Kang Sol with a different hair style. 

- The books Kang Sol tried to sell belong to Kang Dan, so in fact those books belong to the person who passed Hankuk admission. Kang Dan is indeed Joon Hwi's sunbae. 

- From the way Kang Sol's mom speak about Kang Dan. Kang Dan seems exceptionally smart, and I'm sure Kang Sol get compared with Kang Dan all the time and that probably the source of Kang Sol's insecurity and lack of self-confidence. 

The first year law school students are of different age. So for example Kang Sol is consider unni in her group, meaning she's older than the standard age to start first year. We also have the student who studied med school before starting first year law, so he belongs to the oldest one there as well. 

It's plausible that Kang Dan is same age with Kang Sol but well advanced in her studies/career because of how smart she is. 

Yes, and Sol A had to pay a million won as a settlement. She worked hard for years to earn them, so she wasn't able to study as other children of her age.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, paolaadl said:

Sol A said that Kang Dan is her twin sister but there are some informations that makes it look like she is actually older than Sol A. I mean... maybe I got it wrong but I think this is very weird.

I think this is where the "Asian"/"Korean" culture plays a part. Most likely, Kang Dan was born minutes before Sol A, which is why Sol A refers Kang Dan as her "older sister". But if you notice, like in ep3, Sol A refers to Kang Dan as "Dan" when the person she's talking to knows who's older between her and Dan (in ep3's case, it's because Byeol already knows who's older/younger). 

Once again, ep7-8 was amazing! The progress they've developed in the story, Yeseul's bravery, Joonhwi & Sol A's petty fight (hahahaha! they're just too cute), etc – gosh.. it's gold!! it's going to really hurt next week when we only have 1 episode T.T goshhhh... I want more!! More Solhwi interactions, more school scenes, more Yang scenes, more everything!! 

Btw, is it just me or does anyone else suspect Prosecutor Jin? He feels suspicious... One one side, he's a true lackey of Assemblyman Go. On another side, he leaked the case info. Plus, in ep8, there was a close up of Jin's shoes. Since "shoes" was a big reason why they suspected Yang in the first place, I have a feeling this close-up means something more. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

52 minutes ago, gracebkk said:

it's going to really hurt next week when we only have 1 episode T.T goshhhh... I want more!!

What??? There will be only one episode next week?? I didn't know about that! Why???

:cries:

• Sad 1

“Sell Your Haunted House” And “Mouse” Stay Steady In Ratings + “Law School” Sets New Personal Best

***skipped unrelated

On JTBC, “Law School” recorded ratings of 5.388 percent, a new personal best for the drama after its premiere with 5.113 percent.

:cutekitty:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1467811wpp/sell-your-haunted-house-and-mouse-stay-steady-in-ratings-law-school-sets-new-personal-best

5 hours ago, kaqueski said:

Surely they are the same age since they are twin. Being more smart sounds right. I agree those books belong to Kang Dan because how can she be in the assemblyman office and proposing some law stuff before if she isn't well verse with legal matters and in Harvard this time. 

5 hours ago, gracebkk said:

Btw, is it just me or does anyone else suspect Prosecutor Jin? He feels suspicious...

His face only seems suspicious. What bothers me is why did PA Jin need to expose illegally those info of cases?  What benefits shall he get  from doing those? 

4 hours ago, paolaadl said:

What??? There will be only one episode next week?? I didn't know about that! Why???

What???  Omg!  Andwee!  It is hard to wait for another week when there are so many queries to answer. Is this confirmed? @gracebkk

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

@paolaadl @Sakurafairy Yep. It’s confirmed. If you go to Netflix, you’ll see that only 1 episode is scheduled to air next week (only on the 12th). This is because of Baeksang Awards. 

Btw.. Has anyone seen this SolHwi clip (with fake subs) yet? It’s the cutest!!!

There’s also a SolHwi fanfic originally on tumblr (now also available on AO3) that’s just the cutest!!! Have you guys read it? Here’s the link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/31148765

• Sad 1
  • LOL 3

Law School: Episodes 7-8 Open Thread

by Anisa

LawSchool0708-00052.jpg

Law School is really hitting its stride now, an entertaining blend of legal drama and campus hijinks, with thrilling courtroom showdowns in every episode. And exam stress. Lots of exam stress. New murder suspects continue to emerge, but the prosecution is hellbent on pinning this crime on our hero, whether they have the evidence to back it up or not.

EPISODES 7-8 WEECAP

I feel like this show really settled into its groove this week. The previous unevenness in tone has smoothed out, and now there’s a good balance of twisty reveals, nail-biting suspense and study group drama. Maybe it’s also that I’ve let go of some of my expectations and am starting to enjoy the show for what it is—a soapy, fast-paced and witty legal drama with a talented ensemble cast.

Jong-hoon remains the anchor of this group, but each week highlights new characters, and these episodes were all about Ji-ho and Ye-seul. We finally found out why Ji-ho’s been keeping that folder about Seo Byung-ju, and I particularly enjoyed his turn on the witness stand, practically bantering with Jong-hoon as the man skillfully cross-examined him.

LawSchool0708-00002.jpg

Ji-ho keeps his pain and anger bottled up so tight that he comes across as cold. I’m glad Ramyun Bandit Joon-hwi has finally broken through that wall a bit by earning his trust. Joon-hwi clearly sees his job as leader of the study group as more than just a tutor. He’s always looking out for the others, quietly stepping in to help when needed.

But my heart went out most to Ye-seul this week, whose situation has only worsened since she started school, her abusive boyfriend using her as a punching bag for his frustration at getting rejected from Hankuk. I was already worried about her, but the nauseating revelation of that spycam, and then his and his father’s blackmail of her with that video, was absolutely wrenching to watch.

more

ps://www.dramabeans.com/2021/05/law-school-episodes-7-8-open-thread/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

https://zapzee.net/2021/05/12/k-drama-review-law-school-legal-thriller-that-is-fun-to-put-together-like-a-jigsaw-puzzle/
[K-Drama Review] ‘Law School’: Legal Thriller That Is Fun to Put Together Like a Jigsaw Puzzle

by kim yeo un | Edited by Yang Young Jun | Translated by Kim Y.U | images: JTBC

EB138FDB-4656-4ED7-9BCE-9D387077E2BE.jpg

A professor is found dead at the nation’s most prestigious law school. The victim was a former chief prosecutor and a concurrent professor. Police suspect an overdose caused the murder. Since the murder case happened in an institution where the top 1% of elites study to become legal experts, inevitably, it attracted significant public attention. What is the truth of this horrible murder case? This is the story of JTBC Law School.

Given the circumstances, the strongest suspect is Professor Yang Jong Hoon. He is the one who decided to resign from his district attorney’s office after becoming disillusioned with the unduly lenient sentences of the ‘prosecutor office’s real estate bribery case.’ Seo Byung Joo, who is the victim of the murder case, was acquitted by the court. Yang Jong Hoon has a motive. And his fingerprints were found on the instruments that were supposedly used to murder – the coffee cups and the bag of methamphetamine. The unprecedented law school murder case appears to have a personal grudge as its motive, but the case gradually falls into mystery as suspicions rise against others as well.

48A57102-7FEE-4AD9-B96D-DE157279C8C5.jpg

Law school has faithfully captured the fun of the whodunit genre, which traces “who is the culprit?” among characters with different interests and intertwined pasts. And it tells the story of the main characters dreaming of becoming legal professionals and captures the growth of the youth. It gives the sense of politics as well. Overall, the series seems like a mixture of Sherlock and a school series. Depending on the viewers, the combination would garner varied ratings. But it’s also quite fun and fresh to see this mixture.

As the series takes place at law school, it is noteworthy that it deals with the precedents of various cases. The show addresses some of the current issues and controversies, such as unpaid child support, sexual violence against children, dating violence, gaslighting, and spy-cam-related crimes. Although it may not be directly related to the murder of Seo Byung Joo, it naturally merged into the story in different ways to add variety to the narrative and provide viewers with an opportunity to think about the issues. Legal knowledge like defamation stating fact and announcement of the accusation becomes more straightforward and more realistic throughout the episodes.

F68ABF4F-DED3-4CDB-A267-0CC467C5C6E7.jpg

It’s important to mention the main character, Kim Myung Min. He plays Professor Yang Jong Hoon, who everyone avoids because of his sharp tongue. But, he cares for his students more than anyone on the inside and presents a one-man show performance. Although the role similar to his previous characters in K-drama, such as his role in Beethoven Virus (2008) and The King of Drama (2012), it is hard to think of another actor who could do such a character better than he does. 

Lee Jung Eun, Ahn Nae Sang, Park Hyuk Kwon, Woo Hyun, and Oh Man Seok provide a stable balance next to Kim Myung Min’s character, who could go overboard. Ryu Hye Young, Kim Bum, Ko Yoon Jung, Lee Da Wit, Lee Soo Kyung, and Hyun Woo also add vitality to the play, portraying the joys, growth of law school students, and the confusion of being involved in unprecedented incidents.

The exciting developments of the story and the actors’ passionate performances draw the viewer’s attention strongly. Still, the relationship between the characters and the development of events is a little arbitrary. And as mentioned earlier, the main characters’ past is entangled like a spider web, which can be the critical point to entertain the show by showing its twist and new incident. However, if the process does not unravel them smoothly, it may lose the viewer’s interest since it tends to mostly rely on the coincidence in the relationship and the development of events.

For example, Lee Man Ho is the defendant in the child sexual assault case. Professor Kim Eun Sook was in charge of his case when she served as a judge. He turned out to have connections with Yang Jong Hoon, Seo Byung Joo, and even Kang Sol A’s twin sister, Kang Dan (if you look into the circumstances, it is much more complicated). Some of the show’s directing style felt dated. There are some difficult-to-read scenes, cheesy dialogue, and incompetent prosecutors and police that leave much room for improvement. A timeline that frequently goes back and forth between the past and the present and difficult terms in the lines can also be barriers to entry.

Spoiler

43E0E342-1C14-41B6-A8C7-E73B294D6CC3.jpg

Starting from the 8th episode, Law School will enter a new phase. Kang Sol A’s twin sister Kang Dan, a hidden character in the veil, will likely play a vital role in connecting the relationships of significant figures. In addition to finding the true culprit of the murder case of Professor Seo Byeong Joo, it will be the most important part to pay attention to in the second half of the story. How will it successfully link all the given clues? Since I have enjoyed the show so far, I hope it won’t end with the bitter name, “poor imitation of the American show.”

Verdict: Kim Myung Min shines his charisma once again after Kang Ma Ae and Anthony Kim (7/10)

Editor Yang Young Jun: There is at least one good part in every movie or TV series. A media geek who isn’t picky with genres.
Translator Kim Y.U: Welcome K-pop, K-drama, K-movie, K-culture fans. I hope you enjoy our news about K-entertainment.

• Like 4

The pace of the drama has improved a lot, each episode is getting better and better. It's so sad that we got to see only one episode this week. It will be so painful to wait a whole week to watch the next one.

:sad1:

• Like 4

The moment the episode ended.. my mind was already trying to connect all the past, present and future scenes.  For those who haven't watched it yet ... and love "jigsaw puzzle" .. ha ha ... you've got to watch it.  

Does it mean our Prof Yang has resigned?

Our Yeseul is having another challenge ahead ...  somehow all the cases are inter-connected ...

Preview

Credit to the owner

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

I'm confused with the whole KD mystery. The rapist is trying to find her because she knows where his son is right?And is Byeol their sister or KD's daughter. FYI i only watched the drama once so i might have my memory mixed up...

Do we know how old is the kid who was hit by SBJ? Could it possibly be the exDoctor's child and that would be his motive of wanting SBJ dead?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dzareth said:

I'm confused with the whole KD mystery. The rapist is trying to find her because she knows where his son is right?And is Byeol their sister or KD's daughter. FYI i only watched the drama once so i might have my memory mixed up...

Byeol is their sister.

Do we know how old is the kid who was hit by SBJ? Could it possibly be the exDoctor's child and that would be his motive of wanting SBJ dead?

SBJ hit the child 11 years ago. I don't think exDoctor is that old to have a child back then.

• Like 3

This drama is literally like a jigsaw puzzle.  Every episode we'll get a few pieces of the puzzle and we need to put them together till it is completed. I wonder whether we'll get to know the real murderer only at the end of the drama.

Oh btw, I've rewatched the first episode ... now it makes sense ha ha .. especially the going back and forth.  There are things that I haven't noticed before ... such as Prof Kim's phone wallpaper etc.

• Like 2