larus

Kim Bum was sublime. The professor.... he hs a very, very deep voice, sounding dark - so not so surprising he ended up becoming the first suspected culprit. But is it true? Somehow I should doubt it, considering his career as a prosecutor he could have committed a crime without being found out, at least not that easily.

• Like 2

I loved the first episode! I'm always looking forward to Kim Myung Min's dramas, and this pilot did not disappoint. Hope it only gets better. The cast is doing an amazing job as expected. I'm one in the minority that actually liked the shaky camerawork as Yang Jong Hoon was walking through the school/crime scene. I thought it had a cool effect, lol. I can see why it would put people off though. Kim Myung Min creates yet another memorable character. Most of his roles are kind of "cool" characters, but the distinction he makes between them is just sublime. As always, a wonderfully nuanced and masterful performance. And even as an avid watcher of his works, I still marvel at how amazing his voice (and diction!) is. Jtbc is jsut having hit and hit veteran performances, earlier being the fantastic Shin Ha Kyun in Beyond Evil of course. 

• Like 4

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/04/688_307220.html

Kim Myung-min returns to small-screen as professor in JTBC's 'Law School'

By Lee Gyu-lee | 2021-04-15

6147B31C-A561-4D1B-BBA3-765FAB943861.jpg

Actors Kim Myung-min, left, and Lee Jeong-eun pose for pictures during an online media conference for the series, Wednesday. Courtesy of JTBC

Actor Kim Myung-min is returning to the small screen as law school professor Yang Jong-hoon in JTBC's new drama, "Law School," three years after starring in the hit fantasy series "The Miracle We Met" in 2018.

The mystery thriller series kicked off Wednesday with a promising viewership rating of 5.1 percent nationwide.

"This series is a legal drama combined with stories about college life. The series is about legal procedures, but at the same time, it also follows a mysterious case that happens on campus," Kim said during an online media conference for the series, Wednesday.

"So, while other whodunit series would have a few lead characters solving the case, our series involves all of the characters working together with the professor."

Directed by Kim Seok-yoon, who directed the "Detective K" film and the TV series, "The Light in Your Eyes," the program revolves around elite professor Jong-hoon and his students at a prestigious law school. After getting involved in a mysterious murder case on campus, the students are put to the test in seeking justice through the law.

The director said the series will show the "naked truth" about law schools. "Law school became the only option to pursue a legal profession. So our series will provide an opportunity for people to take a closer look at the institution."

Kim Myung-min's character is a sharp-witted, self-reliant professor who is skilled in teaching students.

28FB7394-006F-47AE-9AE8-4B8032A6C8EC.jpg

A poster for the series / Courtesy of JTBC

From the first episode, Kim Myung-min leads a fast-paced scene where he holds a model criminal trial court for his class.

The actor expressed that playing this character was harder than any other role. "I couldn't sleep until I shot the model trial scene… I guess that's how much pressure I felt," he said. "I have to say legal jargon and voicing it in Jong-hoon's style was harder than any other role. As an actor, however, playing such a difficult role does feel satisfying."

The actor and director Kim Seok-yoon are reuniting for this series about four years after they worked together on the action crime series, "Detective K: Secret of the Living Dead," the third installment of the film series. The two have worked together on all three "Detective K" films since 2011.

Both the actor and director expressed faith in each other for their latest project.

"Since we've worked together so many times, we would be on the same page even without having to say anything... It was great how we knew what each other wanted or was going to do by just looking in each other's eyes," Kim Seok-yoon said.

Kim Myung-min said he took the part in the series to work with the director. "I said I'll join if the director is leading the series," he said. "Because I know him so well, I really wanted to do well so I won't let him down."

Actress Lee Jeong-eun, known for her compelling performance in Bong Joon-ho's "Parasite," plays fellow law professor, Kim Eun-sook, who is the only person Jong-hoon can confide in. She also has extensive experience working with the director, starring in six of his projects including this one.

"The director assured me that, with this script, he can make a series that will get people to find law interesting and easily relatable to. And that was the biggest reason I took this role," the actress said. "And as I also briefly worked with Kim Myung-min on Detective K, I had a good feeling that we would achieve great synergy together."

"Law School" airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 9 p.m.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

make me miss being on the lecture class :( already more than 1 year being on online class make me sick. 

although i hope i wont get a killer lecturer like Yang but i miss being on class. right now it just feel like dream lol

Are you a young person? I've had the impression that you are. I'm a gramma. Oldest grandchild is 28. I don't miss those lectures. Especially being called by an instructor. 

I like the episode 1. I haven't seen Kim Bum in a while. It's a dog eat dog world out there. In school and everywhere.

• Like 3

When I read Soompi's article Law School Preview & Intriguing Characters a few days ago I got excited on their uniqueness but I thought I'll watch it this weekend. Then I  saw this morning that the 1st episode nearly achieved 1.1 million viewers (5.1% rating across Korea) according to this article below ‘Law School’ premiere draws 1M viewers, likened to a US TV series

Enough reason for me to watch sooooon. No need for me to wait the weekend. I'm excited to see Kim Bum again after his stellar performance in Tale of the Nine-Tailed :)

See you later.. I need to catch this up then episode 2 :approves:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, brooksmom said:

Are you a young person? I've had the impression that you are. I'm a gramma. Oldest grandchild is 28. I don't miss those lectures. Especially being called by an instructor. 

I like the episode 1. I haven't seen Kim Bum in a while. It's a dog eat dog world out there. In school and everywhere.

still 20 years old so i am on 3rd year university. so yeah i am younger than your oldest grandchild hehe

i rarely get called by instrutor but usuallly when i got called by one i will get nervous suddenly and my mind went blank haha exactly like the girl kang sol a 

side note : i really love seeing go yoon jung here. sadly she is not main lead/second lead :( more like supporting cast but its alright miss here already since sweet home. 

glad seeing sweet home had their own drama 

song kang with navillera and another one with han so hee.

lee do hyun and go min si with youth of may

and this. 

like it!! 

also kang sol B look fire tho with that poker face and short hair. 

lets go 

• Blob 1

Wow. Ep 2 was even better than ep 1!!!! All those twists and surprises?! Caught me off guard each time there was a surprise. Love the fast pace of the drama too. This drama definitely doesn't give you any time to take a breather because every single scene was important and intense. WOWWW!! Can't wait to watch ep3 already!!!! 

• Like 1

Ummm why does that classmate have files over files full of the dead Professor and his nephew's photos? CREEPY.  His face is very ice cold and suitable for a straightlaced inflexible guy. Let's see how it will play out.

Though I've got to say Episode 2 was magnificent - the cliffhanger haha. I'm not going to say what it is, so people can watch for themselves. 

All I can say is that Kim Bum is doing very, very well. 

• Like 3

Finished episode 1. lt's good.  HTGAWM vibin in the drama. The law jargons got me rewindin.

Yang Jong Hoon (Kim Hyun Min's character)  ruled out suicide and  told investigators  why would man who just ordered  meds test strips be leaving a suicide note.  Was this ploy?

Question is did he kill Seo Byung Ju? In the  teaser for Ep 2 he forced SBJ to drink the  from the cup mix with meth and sugar.  But remember, Kang Sol A (female lead. Ryu Hye Young) said  the room where the SBJ died is only accessible through the courtroom they were doing the mock trials. It's the room that only professors can acccess. However there is one outsider that drop of package for SBJ and  KSA pointed out the room where SBJ was taking a break. But he also came out after dropping package.

The end scene. YJH arrested for the murder of  SBJ

A. The delivery man ? B. YJH have something to do with that delivery? Must be the test strips.  One of the student suspicious?  Well what did Ji Ho (David Lee) delete in the laptop anyway?

Obviously I haven't watched episode 2 so not sure what's happening. My thoughts when I'm done with watching with subs.

Also in the Ep1 , Jeon Ye Sul (Go Youn Jung) the signs of abuse perhps is there as we see from the bruise wrist. Must be from the husband. I wonder who plays the husband.

And also how can Lee Man  Ho  the rape suspect wearing anklet, can just  go to the civil law professor's class.. just like that and goad the professor nd get a way with nothing but a talk with  YJH. Does this happen in real life? Anyway  The professor was pregnant and suffered bleeding.

I'm gonna wait for the subs of ep 2 so I'll know more.

KSA explaining to YJH why she applied for law school.

"The law owes me an apology" - Kang Sol A, Ep 1

cr@

cr:@

I'm not familiar with her.  But the twt feels.. same.  the expressions so cute.

cr:@

And t's good to see beautiful Go Youn Jung. I like in her previous drama, Sweet Home. And Kim Bum. Just always rememer him in Padam Padam and TWTWB and BoF. I have a feelin I'll be crushing for him as I watch more episodes.

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

I confess that I started to watch this drama because of Kim Bum. I was blown away by his amazing performance in Tale of the Nine Tailed, I remember I got so impressed by his talent to deliver all kinds of emotions in such a charismatic way that I promised to myself that I'd watch all his future dramas lol fortunately he's doing a great job here, as expected. 

Now I’m surprised by the script, I didn’t imagine it would be so complex. Judging by the teasers I thought that the plot wouldn't be so dark and heavy. I'm glad there's small moments of humor tho.

I'm not really into legal dramas tbh but I'll will keep watching beacuse I got curious about this case and because of Han Joon Hwi and Kang Sol Ah. I'm loving their interactions together. They have great chemistry and charisma. I relate a lot to Sol A, I find her so cute and funny, she's a fresh air in the drama. 

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

I find Kim Bum is very cute looking but with those bad boy looks that gives out cool and mysterious vibes. Completely different style compare to those flower boy. I like him and will watch on this drama.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

“Law School” And “Sell Your Haunted House” Continue Fierce Competition For Ratings After Solid Start

0d94bc06871640478f5e1071accdea31.jpeg?s=

Apr 16, 2021
by C. Hong

The new Wednesday-Thursday dramas are continuing their tight competition for ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, the April 15 episode of JTBC’s new drama “Law School” recorded average nationwide ratings of 4.112 percent. This is a drop from the ratings of its premiere episode, 5.113 percent, which aired on April 14. The premiere marked a solid start for the new drama, higher than the finale ratings of its predecessor in this time slot, “Sisyphus: The Myth.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1464484wpp/law-school-and-sell-your-haunted-house-continue-fierce-competition-ratings-solid-start

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

Done with Ep 2. All I can say.. the child rapist Lee Man Ho need to rot in jail!

LMH doing  dirty deed  inside container type- tiny room. Teen boy peek  the glass window. LMH saw him run after him boy running and was hit by SBJ car. The child rapist is the only witness to the cold case of YHJ.

SBJ who is prosecutor need to make sure that LMH keeps his mouth shut. He probably found out the he witness.  To make matters worse,  LMH got a reduced sentence  because prosecutor did not appeal. Due to feeble mind and drunkeness, LMH showed no remorse for raping or molesting saying he was drunk did not know what he was doing.

Seriously. This drama writer better do something about this child rapist character. He better be punished.

Spoiler

I felt professor KUS anger and disappoinment with the decision of a reduced sentence. She was then the preciding judge?  for the case.  SBJ was  the prosecutor. ( you can check the scene in ep 1).  Ah the moral ambiguity. Making a deal with a chid rapist.  Damnn sh!@#$%. I want LMH punished and not be save just because he witness the hit and run of SBJ.

But anyway, just as I'm  disliking YHJ for making a deal with the rapist, the teaser for Ep 3 seems to point out that  HJW also  made deal with LHM.  But did he really made a deal ot was it the other way around. Perhaps the latter knew of HJW plan. Tried to  bargain with him with half of the inheritance. 

I'm sure they know he's a child rapist but why let him get away acting like that? Isn't he on probation?

Ep2, quick revelation HJW killed his uncle.  I did not expect that at all. The flashback showed how it was done. Pushed him on the staird. But wait. He was found slump on the couch with drugs drool on his mouth.

Flashback scenes. March 2020. 

Revelation that HJW was related to SBJ . I also did not expect that)  He dislike his uncle for using his authority and the law to get away with something illegal consideing he's a prosecutor.  SBJ accused of bribery because he accepted aland as gift. HJW did something to stop the appointed of prosecutor. In the process, the students found out that he's the nephew of SBJ.

He made a petition to stop the faculty appointment of SBJ.  Because he's a second year judicial passer, anybody who wants tio study with him has  scans the QR code and  when students did, it opened the petition to stop the appointment.  HJW case was used by YHJ for his judicial exam for. He had this prior to being arrested. I mean who knew he'd be arrested.  It made HJW tear up.

They held a student trial where the studends ack as prosecutor and defence for defamation.  KSA defending side of HJW. SJH prosecuting but YHJ ask them to switch places. KSA was rattled and caugh off guard so she reasoned, HJW did it due to personal grudge against his uncle. Then as how her character is, KSA just couldn't continue. The school drop the case against HJW (he could have been expelled).

Present time. October 2020

SBJ left inheritance to  HJW, but the wife (I think) is asking for him to renounce, to disclaim the inheritance. Before SBJ died, HJW is on the will. The wife- greedy it seems and not fond of HJW. Like  she doesn't even care if YHJ killed  SBJ. It's all abut the money.

After watching episodes 1 and 2. It's good but I'm confused why the public defender is a clown. Is he con man. We're dealing with murder suspect well known in law circles. YHJ accused of murdering a high powered prosecutor SBJ. But I don't understand why the character is like that.  Why the unnecessary humor.  And what the heck is the relation with the public defender to the guy manning the university copy room. It's serious drama isn't it.  Uni life scenes and humor drama is fine for me.  Some humor is okay but should be when needed. Not fan of the editing. The flashback is confusing. Good thing there is a date.  The camera angle and shaky thing  put me off but  it's fine as long as drama is good.

After having said that. I gotta say though, drama is fast pace, the dialogue and interaction is good (but not w/ public defender).  Looking forward to Ep 3.

I like scene below between. YHJ came to realization who killed SBJ. But then what if itsn't HJW?

The prison visit, they were discussing the mock trial and real trial. In the mock trial HJW was aquitted due to reasonable doubt. But then he said he did kil the victim. HJW said there was no evidence. He turned the question to YHJ asking if he killed SBJ.

The reason why KSA feels strongly for YHJ. I also like this scene. YHJ went against the chief prosecutor who happens to be the father of the kid who bullied KSA sister. Fav scene.

Awww

twts ctto as tag.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

Awww. Think I'm wishin 'My Mister' vibes.  :P

twts ctto as tag.

So yeah here's the thing. It's interesting drama. I just wish the editing and camera work improves. But I'll continue to watch. I think. I hope.  And if that child rapist character is presented as glorified witness..ugh. Hello writer what cha' gonna do?

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

I watched the first two episodes. I expected more or something else but so far I want to continue watching. I watched the first episode twice because all the jump scenes were so confusing. That`s is my major complaint so far.

I like Kim Myung Min and Lee Jung Eun`s characters but the students interaction not so much. The students are very different and we`ll discover all their stories later, I suposed. That`s good. I found Sol A annoying and I don`t know if it is the character or the portrayal of this young actress. Or both. :D But I can see that she can grow as a character and that`s important. I liked her when she realised that prosecutor Yang Jong Hoon confronted his boss in front of her. She toned down her behaviour. It is obvious that Yang Jong Hoon sees her as a promising student and I know she will change for the better later. I was curious what she wrote on the exam`s paper when she changed her answer.

Another thing that I don`t really like. The police could be more profesional. I knew that Yang Jong Hoon had an ace up on his sleeve to prove his innocence but I don`t apreciate how the police jumps to conclusion and arests people/ suspects and puts them on jail every time they found new evidence. How about investigating more first?

Lee Man-Ho will give a lot of headache to the good guys. Not only he is a dangerous and crazy man but now he knows the law as well. He is involved in the case.

Lots of people have secrets or ulterior motives and we`ll find out their stories later. And we`ll see many aspects of the law. I was not totally sold on this drama`s execution from the premiere but I see potential. I will continue watching. I like the premise of professors Yang and Kim mentoring the students.

Kim Myung Min is mesmerizing once again. I love watching him on screen.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

4 minutes ago, larus said:

Another thing that I don`t really like. The police could be more profesional. I knew that Yang Jong Hoon had an ace up on his sleeve to prove his innocence but I don`t apreciate how the police jumps to conclusion and arests people/ suspects and puts them on jail every time they found new evidence. How about investigating more first?

To be fair to the police, the professor kind of provoked them. They shouldn't have reacted, but he really wanted to go to jail... to make an impact I guess, to draw attention of the media. Maybe it's this or he has some superiority complex and just relishes in proving he is NOT the murderer after being arrested. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

24 minutes ago, agenth said:

To be fair to the police, the professor kind of provoked them. They shouldn't have reacted, but he really wanted to go to jail... to make an impact I guess, to draw attention of the media. Maybe it's this or he has some superiority complex and just relishes in proving he is NOT the murderer after being arrested. 

I agree that he played them. He is a good observer and I think he was a good prosecutor but he has to colaborate with the police not playing superior. At the end of episode 1, when he was arrested (he passed the victim's room) we saw how sharp he is.  He realised how they will conclude the events that make him a suspect. Earlier, he noticed the key evidence very quickly. Yang Jong-Hoon is more inteligent  than the others but why he wanted to be arrested?

Maybe he has a motive to behave this way. He knew that he will be release soon. He was very relaxed when he was investigated. He even he was more interested in evaluating students 'work than in answering prosecutors' questions. He wanted to attract more attention to the case? Someone wanted to make him a suspect and he knew it? He doesn`t trust the law system anymore/ his former colleagues?  

• Like 2
  • Blob 1