[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] A Female Student Arrives at the Imperial College 国子监来了个女弟子

sugarplum892

35 minutes ago, rabbit_casa said:

Zhao Lusi apparently got a lot of negative reviews in this one as her role is quite similar to her previous ones. 

I should say, honestly, I started to watch and dropped all her dramas before the Long Ballad. However it was not because of her, but because nothing really impressed me in those dramas itself and I was bored. 

35 minutes ago, rabbit_casa said:

Also there is a scene where she danced and it is obvious that she is no dancer.

Emm, I actually thought that was the part of the plot, since she is a general's daughter who is good in archery and horse riding, and not so good in traditional "girly stuff" as her rival "city ladies" :grin:

Re the roles and their range- I suppose she is just at a certain stage of her career and is just offered certain roles.  She is very young, so I think would have a lot of possibilities in future. Long Ballad for me was an indicator she is ready to step out of her "comfort zone" and take more serious roles.

• Like 2

Zhao Lusi is one of the potential actresses of recent years not because her acting is impressive, but she is very expressive and I like the energy she put into her roles as well as behind the scenes. She gets along with many of her co-stars as well and I always enjoy the BTS of her dramas.

Still, she is very young and there is a lot to learn. Compared to other young actresses out there, she is the better one and I think people should accept her efforts and encourage her advancement, instead of criticize and complain. 

1 hour ago, leo2020 said:

I should say, honestly, I started to watch and dropped all her dramas before the Long Ballad. However it was not because of her, but because nothing really impressed me in those dramas itself and I was bored. 

You should watch The romance of Tiger and Rose. I was put off by the sypnosis of the drama too, too cliche I thought at the time. But once you start watching, it is so damn funny. Both actor and actress have excellent chemistry and their sidekicks should have stories of their own.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

27 minutes ago, rabbit_casa said:

You should watch The romance of Tiger and Rose. I was put off by the sypnosis of the drama too, too cliche I thought at the time. But once you start watching, it is so damn funny. Both actor and actress have excellent chemistry and their sidekicks should have stories of their own.

I really tried it, sorry, that was just nothing there for me :wub:.

• Like 1

So it's no really reverse harem, the word used is also strange, we know very well that the female will not have two or three husbands,  just ML and SML who like her, and maybe SML has other girl later?? just no forced marriage for ML with another girl, please lol

I just came from watching ep 9-14's previews. I think I am less concerned about the female lead than the writer and director letting me down.

Isn't this filmed and edited? That was a truly awfully dubbed and woefully edited song and dance. The lip syncing was off. The musical instruments electronic additions was tacky. And then the scene where the fathers were at the table- the dubbed voices were not in synch.

And the last 2 episodes or was in episode 8's episodes where the ML and the 2nd ML's clothing where the modern design/ sheen was so jarring.

So yeah been looking forward to this drama so was expecting higher production values.

The ML for once looks like a man even though he looked like a good looking 31 year old male she does look young. Even though I know she has to be young to be a student. So the age difference looks and how fast he fell for her was a surprise to me. I was watching expecting it to be around episode 15 or so. So looking at the preview and seeing the actual school teacher persona behave in front of the 2ndML student in public made me cringed. My god the meal scene- is he for real? No teacher can do that. And since I see her graduation ceremony her school attendance part has to continue on in the plot.

However I do like the actress so will see what happens. Her face is mobile and expressive. Not Botox to be so stiff.

I just watched a 22 episode drama where the FL literally sounded like a screeching shrew. And ML was scrawny and couldn't act.

So yeah this drama has been such a relief. So I am off to work out if I can hold off watching ep 9 and 10 until the other 4 episodes comes out. Since I already saw what's happening.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Hi everyone,  I've checked 4 episodes of the drama, and I suppose if you are looking for smth laughthable, sweet, relatively light, but with a couple of dark twists - it's your drama to watch. I would rate it #2 among  ZLS's dramas I've seen (the first one so far is The Long Ballad).  

May be I'm not 100% unbiased, bcs I've recently grown to like XKC and his acting a lot. :wub:  

I agree!

I am very entertained with this drama. 

Hehehe! I know ZLS has been doing a lot of similar dramas (lighthearted) but her antics here are part of the script and direction of the director. She can really pull off a funny character. 

As for XKC, he is doing well here also. 

• Like 1

I've been having high expectations for this drama since the trailers looked promising. 

However, how should I put it? As much as the leads are visually very shippable, I personally think the story is lacking in purposes. So she manages to be the first female student arriving at an all-male school, but then only chases the male lead for him to accept her pouch. We don't even see her studying. I understand that the school becomes a setting for the story to advance, but at the same time, the FL's character does not seem to have a specific goal. What is she trying to gain from entering the school? To prove herself for what reasons? 

Zhao Lusi is indeed very lively and lovely. I've been rooting for her since the Long Ballad, in which her chemistry with Liu YuNing was over the sky to me. In this drama, not being dubbed, I wished she could use a different tone of voice. It feels like she uses a voice from her nose and throat which sounds annoying at times.

XuKaiCheng, though! Has he been always this good looking? The first and only drama I saw him in was The pet at Dali Temple. I didn't remember him to be this handsome and dynamic in facial expressions. Very swooney and I like his acting. 

If I were to continue to watch this drama, it would only be for the eye candy that the leads are. Story-wise, I am not expecting much anymore. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bomnie said:

XuKaiCheng, though! Has he been always this good looking? The first and only drama I saw him in was The pet at Dali Temple. I didn't remember him to be this handsome and dynamic in facial expressions. Very swooney and I like his acting. 

He is the only reason I made it through I'm a Pet at Dali Temple :wub:. The quality of his recent dramas is higher than before, and he started to get more lead roles (or more significant support roles). 

• Like 1

After 12 episodes I should say 

Spoiler

I'm sooo annoyed by Zhuo Wen Yuan! I thought he would qualify for a solid 2nd lead, but he looks like a parody for a man who can even get a chance with FL Xiao Qi.

Very boring and plain character,  with the same grin/smirk 90% of time. Pffff:angry:. I'm not sure who to blame here- the plot/script itself, the director or the actor. So far IMO a waste of screen time. 

In regard to the whole impression- I can't remember the last time a drama made me laugh so hard during some moments, and from the trailers there are more to come, wooo-hooo:partyblob:.

Very impressed with Ao Rui Peng (Yan Yan) and his acting. Not everyone could pull through such a

Spoiler

ridiculous (in a good way)and extravagant character, and make him loveable and sweet at the same time.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:54 PM, leo2020 said:

He is the only reason I made it through I'm a Pet at Dali Temple :wub:. The quality of his recent dramas is higher than before, and he started to get more lead roles (or more significant support roles). 

@bomnie @leo2020

I saw him first in Moonshine and Valentine with Victoria Song and Johnny Huang. He played her bf who cheated on her. I liked him there. And then he was the male lead in A Well-Intended Love (both seasons). He was also in Dance of the Phoenix, as the male lead. I am watching this one because of ZLS and was pleasantly surprised to see it was XKC. I am also looking forward to his Novoland: Pearl Eclipse drama.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leo2020 said:

He was very convincing in that drama,  alongside with Vardy Wang they just pulled the drama through; IMO among the main cast they were the only ones who could act...

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with the ending of that one. It was so vague!!

• Like 1

Watched up to ep16, ohhh

Spoiler

Zhuo Wen Yuan, you are soooo bad:angry:. Looking forward for Yun Zhi, or even better- Sang Qi -beating that smile from your pretty face:onfirex:

Also, Sister Lan may be beautiful and talented,  but has no shame! Crazy girl, you know, she is the type of person,  that can casually pull out a knife and stab someone quietly and elegantly. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone! It's a wrap for me :)

Overall, I should say I had a lot of fun while watching :doggie:.

The first part was more "romcom-styled", than things got really serious. 

I obviously enjoyed the storyline, not too draggy, with plenty of smiles and tears and 

Spoiler

a happy ending :wub:

The quality of the production is really high- styling, clothes, color panel - loved it all.

The leads are a pleasure to watch, great casting, - couple chemistry all over the place:smooches3: 

My main problem was the acting of Ren Hao. His character -Zhuo Wen Yuan -seems to be the most complex and interesting out of all the main cast, he is

Spoiler

hiding his real intentions, ambitions,doings  and goals under the mask of a hard-working and talented person with a  touch of flamboyance,  a kind of a joker actually))).

Unfortunately, the actor IMO looked not very convincing portraying ZWY, overall really stiff and plain, with the same emotions over his face practically 90% of a time. Don't know why it turned like that, I am sure he put a lot of of work there, however obviously that was not enough.

And the last, but not the list a real discovery I made here - Ao Rui Peng. WOW! We're in the world has he been hiding before:wub:? Although Yan Yan, on the contrary with Ren Hao's Zhuo Wen Yuan, is not so complex (at least at first sight) , there are a lot of moments he should "man up" and prove himself worthy, and ARP is very capable of going from  eye- rolling comedy to being really serious,  changing in appearance, body language and facial expressions. I would definitely follow his upcoming dramas, and particularly the highly anticipated Love Never Fails))). 

Hope everyone enjoyed the drama as much as I have :fullofhearts:.

• Like 4

I’m currently halfway through at about episode 17 and I find this show to be highly entertaining for me (to watch after work).

this is my 2nd Zhao Lusi show after The Long Ballad so I went in with zero expectations especially after seeing all the bad reviews on reddit. She’s hilarious af. Her chemistry with the ML is pretty good too though I hear The Romance of Tiger and Rose is much better. I plan to watch that next.

i do agree that Zhao Lusi has been doing too many of this type of role but she’s really good at it so I don’t quite mind for now.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:12 AM, leo2020 said:

Hi everyone! It's a wrap for me :)

Overall, I should say I had a lot of fun while watching :doggie:.

The first part was more "romcom-styled", than things got really serious. 

I obviously enjoyed the storyline, not too draggy, with plenty of smiles and tears and 

Reveal hidden contents

a happy ending :wub:

The quality of the production is really high- styling, clothes, color panel - loved it all.

The leads are a pleasure to watch, great casting, - couple chemistry all over the place:smooches3: 

My main problem was the acting of Ren Hao. His character -Zhuo Wen Yuan -seems to be the most complex and interesting out of all the main cast, he is

Hide contents

hiding his real intentions, ambitions,doings  and goals under the mask of a hard-working and talented person with a  touch of flamboyance,  a kind of a joker actually))).

Unfortunately, the actor IMO looked not very convincing portraying ZWY, overall really stiff and plain, with the same emotions over his face practically 90% of a time. Don't know why it turned like that, I am sure he put a lot of of work there, however obviously that was not enough.

And the last, but not the list a real discovery I made here - Ao Rui Peng. WOW! We're in the world has he been hiding before:wub:? Although Yan Yan, on the contrary with Ren Hao's Zhuo Wen Yuan, is not so complex (at least at first sight) , there are a lot of moments he should "man up" and prove himself worthy, and ARP is very capable of going from  eye- rolling comedy to being really serious,  changing in appearance, body language and facial expressions. I would definitely follow his upcoming dramas, and particularly the highly anticipated Love Never Fails))). 

Hope everyone enjoyed the drama as much as I have :fullofhearts:.

Hehehe! I agree with you totally about Yan Yan.

He has great potential and he shined here.

As for ZLS, either she has done so many similar dramas that I cannot see much difference anymore. 

I really liked her in Changge...she womaned-up there and her role was vastly different from her usual ones. 

Overall, enjoyed the ride and looking forward to other ancient dramas. 

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] A Female Student Arrives at the Imperial College 国子监来了个女弟子
  • 6 months later...

I would love to read the book in addition to the movie. But this will most likely not happen. By the way, I recently read "the snows of kilimanjaro", found https://freebooksummary.com/category/the-snows-of-kili for a review. It turned out to be a very good book. Now I'm looking for a film about kilimanjaro, I would like to see about it.

Edited by jonminkun36