[Taiwanese Drama 2020] Falling into You 因為我喜歡你

JenL

@Table122000 Have you watched the first episode? If not, maybe don't read my comment below, but if yes, these are a few of my thoughts.

To be honest, not sure how I'm feeling about the series. I'll start off with the good things: I love Puff and I like that she's playing a tomboy character...even more tomboy because of the sports and the unflattering styles.

But other than that, I'm disappointed. Maybe because I've been watching all the series up for Golden Bell nominations, so the quality of those Taiwanese dramas are good or maybe because Korean and Chinese dramas have improved so much and I watch a lot of those. I've been watching Taiwanese dramas for years, and this felt like early stuff - like it was stuck in the early 2000s! The look of it, but also the story line with that old school cheese comedy which I do not understand (but they seem to like in some Taiwanese dramas...I was hoping they had developed away from that level of cheese, but looks like some series still use it). 

The bit that annoyed me was that scene falling off the building. Like why?? Even if they wanted to make it more comical, they could have shot it better and made it less silly. I mean, I have grown up with similar scenes/ideas in old Rainie Yang dramas, but I think if Taiwanese dramas want to be more competitive in the Asian market, it'd help to move into wittier humour rather than pure slapstick. Also had trouble dealing with Jiro's cheesey CEO. The CEO trope is so tired these days that it has to be done well in either a dramatic or comedic sense for it to stand out....and unfortunately, his character lacked any kind of uniqueness. Not sure if I'll keep watching or do the occasional skim. If anyone's seen it, what did they think?

@JenL

I just skimmed through the first episode as I need to wait for the EDITED English subtitles, but I have to agree with your assessment. I was also disappointed at the slapstick-feel of the drama, and that falling off the roof scene. It did feel like a drama from 15 years ago-dated and tired tropes.  It's too bad because I was very much looking forward to Puff's and Jiro's  performances but I think you are right that there is just something off in the storyline or the execution.  I'll agree they need to tone down the slapstick humor.  Hopefully things will improve in the next episodes. 

@JenL Nice to see you here too. 

My thoughts on the first episode are the same. I was getting bored of Korean and Chinese dramas lately so I started watching Taiwanese dramas and I have to agree the humor is completely slapstick. Like I have seen some pretty old 2008/2010 shows and the feel of the humour is largely the same just feels like The cinematography has modernised.

I liked Jiro in My cute consort and the Remake of You are beautiful Korean show forgot the Taiwanese title. So I thought A show with him and Puff Kao would be great. 

I am feeling a little let down because I went in expecting too much. 

Will still stick around though

On 9/24/2020 at 1:30 AM, Table122000 said:

@JenL

I just skimmed through the first episode as I need to wait for the EDITED English subtitles, but I have to agree with your assessment. I was also disappointed at the slapstick-feel of the drama, and that falling off the roof scene. It did feel like a drama from 15 years ago-dated and tired tropes.  It's too bad because I was very much looking forward to Puff's and Jiro's  performances but I think you are right that there is just something off in the storyline or the execution.  I'll agree they need to tone down the slapstick humor.  Hopefully things will improve in the next episodes. 

I agree - I was looking forward to a new Puff drama and a collaboration with Jiro, who I don't mind as an established idol, but it was not a promising first episode. Glad I'm not the only one who feels like something is off in the drama though! Toning down the slapstick humour would be best - I'm surprised it's at that level since it's been awhile since I've seen something that corny. All the latest Taiwanese series have been trending away from that, I think!

14 hours ago, Anjali Punia said:

@JenL Nice to see you here too. 

My thoughts on the first episode are the same. I was getting bored of Korean and Chinese dramas lately so I started watching Taiwanese dramas and I have to agree the humor is completely slapstick. Like I have seen some pretty old 2008/2010 shows and the feel of the humour is largely the same just feels like The cinematography has modernised.

I liked Jiro in My cute consort and the Remake of You are beautiful Korean show forgot the Taiwanese title. So I thought A show with him and Puff Kao would be great. 

I am feeling a little let down because I went in expecting too much. 

Will still stick around though

Haha nice to see you too @Anjali Punia! Yeah, I'm disappointed too - I think recent Taiwanese dramas are actually doing pretty well with better story lines, and I've always loved the actors in the industry, who I feel are warmer in their interactions with each other than Korean actors often are. But this series does look weirdly like it's regressed a decade. I think Jiro is fun and I have liked some of his past roles before....I remember him from really old stuff like ToGetHer and Absolute Boyfriend - but I'm not sure why in this series I feel like he's not acting well? I think it's his character, which doesn't feel very interesting or cool. Also they seemed to film this in a rush (I think while Puff was filming Before We Get Married and Jiro doing Chinese dramas?)

I think I'll just be skimming through this series, since there's a lot of things I want to watch currently. I'll tune in a bit more if the drama improves. But still happy to see Puff actively promoting again, so will chat about her if any interesting things come up and drop news here if I see any!

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve watched the first 4 eps and I don’t hate it.  I think if I suspend Golden Bell type expectations and just enjoy it to cheer on Puff’s character, then it’ll be a nice filler for other more melodramatic or suspenseful shows :).  The first one is the worst for cheesiness, especially with that fake fall, and now by the 4th episode I would say it's not so cheesy and the plot is moving really quickly! 

Episode 4 spoilers below...

I'm thinking the second lead story is going to be more interesting to me than the main lead. The brother looks like he has a really interesting past, and it's very strange that he doesn't respond to his daughter more warmly.

I'm also curious how the mystery of the main leads dad's death unravels. I'm annoyed at his aunt for making him pay his respects if he was an abusive and neglectful dad.

• Guest changed the title to [Taiwanese Drama 2020] Falling into You 因為我喜歡你

Archived