My corner of Soompi

7 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@Sleepy OwlI enjoyed Dae Jang Geum and Dong Yi sageuk shows. I tried Jumong and Six Flying Dragons but quit. How is Six Flying Dragons? I mainly felt inspired to try it after I watched Chicago Typewriter with Yoo Ah In. I wanted to see more of his acting. 

Oh, you’re making me want to rewatch it soon. Sometimes when I remember Galadriel’s prologue, that alone inspires me to rewatch. Actually, my user name is based on Celebrian who is the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn and the wife of half-elf Elrond and mother of Elrohir, Elladan and Arwen. Heh. She lived in Valinor at the time of the War of the Ring.

Six Flying Dragons was good actually. Yoo Ah in did a really good job portraying Yi Bang Won. If you have watched "Tree With Deep Roots", this is its prequel, with same director and writer and also they have used many of characters of that drama here, showing their younger. Of course since 3 among the Six Flying Dragons were fictional characters, there was some fictional element involved in it, but over all I liked that drama. They sort of properly showed how actually Jeong Do Jeon was involved in establishing Joseon, his conflict with Yi Bang Won was also correctly shown and the fight scenes, though exaggerated (meaning having the element of Kung Fu, like flying or jumping longer distance) was really good. 

Jumong, well was long, Very long and was draggy initially. But I liked how well and slowly they developed Jumong's character who initially was shown to be sort of a fool and knowing nothing about self defense, being bullied around by his elder step brothers who also wanted him dead. But I do understand that it was long, and took a bit time in the main plot starting. Overall I think they did a good job showing how he established Gogoryeo. 

Dong Yi was also a good watch. These are mainly the Sageuks which are based on women of palace that I watched. Some other are also on my watch list, which I will be watching later. Chicago Typewriter was also a good watch for me. 

I see that your name is actually based on Celebrian. No wonder I thought whether it came from it or not. :rubchin: 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hey chingus! we are kicking off a new event called 'my corner of Soompi' where we share how we have been unwinding in our little corner over the past month. so how is September looking for you? quite

hey ya chingus, can you believe we are in October? so what does your corner of Soompi look like this month?   my corner: dramaland ~ two dramas are winding down -- 'mom has an affair'

thanks everyone for putting in your thoughts -- gives a good idea of what dramas the soompi chingus are all watching. @larus @Jillia @Sleepy Owl @tulip06 @maribella @alleram95 @lebeaucoupl

@Sleepy Owl, thanks for that information. I have never watched Tree With Deep Roots though I have contemplated doing so a few times. I have to be in the mood to watch these kinds of drama. I still have to finish Rebel Thief which I have on hold for some time now. 

So you don’t like exaggerated fighting? Why? I see it as a form of art. I know Rebel Thief had more realistic sword fighting. You won’t like Chinese drama show fighting then because their martial arts are exaggerated for the most part. It’s kind of funny that I think Jason Bourne’s fighting is more realistic than the martial arts in Chinese drama shows. I always remember his fight with an assassin in an apartment in Europe where they were grabbing everyday stuff in the house (like pens and books) and using them as a weapons. Heh. 

Well tomorrow is the end of Lie of Lies and Alice. We’re both watching those shows. At least Kairos starts on Monday. I’m also becoming interested in upcoming drama shows Awaken with Namgoong Min and Sisyphus: The Myth with Park Shin Hye and Cho Seung Woo. 

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1
1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

@Sleepy Owl, thanks for that information. I have never watched Tree With Deep Roots though I have contemplated doing so a few times. I have to be in the mood to watch these kinds of drama. I still have to finish Rebel Thief which I have on hold for some time now. 

So you don’t like exaggerated fighting? Why? I see it as a form of art. I know Rebel Thief had more realistic sword fighting. You won’t like Chinese drama show fighting then because their martial arts are exaggerated for the most part. It’s kind of funny that I think Jason Bourne’s fighting is more realistic than the martial arts in Chinese drama shows. I always remember his fight with an assassin in an apartment in Europe where they were grabbing everyday stuff in the house (like pens and books) and using them as a weapons. Heh. 

Well tomorrow is the end of Lie of Lies and Alice. We’re both watching those shows. At least Kairos starts on Monday. I’m also becoming interested in upcoming drama shows Awaken with Namgoong Min and Sisyphus: The Myth with Park Shin Hye and Cho Seung Woo. 

Tree With Deep Roots was good. 

I don't dislike exaggerated fights too, as long as they not too exaggerated. Six Flying Dragons did have some exaggeration in fight scenes, but close combat was excellent and very fast. You could actually feel the two characters are fighting to kill each other, and I liked it. Exaggeration was in the signature moves of some warriors, which was pretty cool since it was not overused, I would be disappointed if they would do it. But yes, I usually prefer realistic sword fights, fast, but not really exaggerated or atleast not too exaggerated.

I have seen many Chinese movies, I liked watching "Red Cliff", if fight scenes are very similar to it, I am fine. I think that movie did have some realistic fights (I watched it long ago), apart from it, I have watched many Chinese Period movies, and liked them. I'll check the clips of "Nirvana in Fire" on YouTube before deciding to watch it. Jason Bourne did have some really good fight scenes, and realistic too as you mentioned. 

Yes, 2 of my favorite dramas will end this week, Alice and Lies of Lies. I really hope they end them well, especially Alice by not leaving any questions unanswered. I am looking forward to Namgoong Min's Awaken, it seems interesting and well Namgoong Min does know which script to choose, and I was never disappointed by any of his dramas which I watched (Didn't watch "Beautiful Goong Shim"). I will be watching Kairos too, started "Spies who loved me" yesterday. Sisyphus: The Myth I think will air in 2021, I am interested in that drama too. I might give "Penthouse" a try too. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Tree With Deep Roots was good. 

I don't dislike exaggerated fights too, as long as they not too exaggerated. Six Flying Dragons did have some exaggeration in fight scenes, but close combat was excellent and very fast. You could actually feel the two characters are fighting to kill each other, and I liked it. Exaggeration was in the signature moves of some warriors, which was pretty cool since it was not overused, I would be disappointed if they would do it. But yes, I usually prefer realistic sword fights, fast, but not really exaggerated or atleast not too exaggerated.

I have seen many Chinese movies, I liked watching "Red Cliff", if fight scenes are very similar to it, I am fine. I think that movie did have some realistic fights (I watched it long ago), apart from it, I have watched many Chinese Period movies, and liked them. I'll check the clips of "Nirvana in Fire" on YouTube before deciding to watch it. Jason Bourne did have some really good fight scenes, and realistic too as you mentioned. 

Yes, 2 of my favorite dramas will end this week, Alice and Lies of Lies. I really hope they end them well, especially Alice by not leaving any questions unanswered. I am looking forward to Namgoong Min's Awaken, it seems interesting and well Namgoong Min does know which script to choose, and I was never disappointed by any of his dramas which I watched (Didn't watch "Beautiful Goong Shim"). I will be watching Kairos too, started "Spies who loved me" yesterday. Sisyphus: The Myth I think will air in 2021, I am interested in that drama too. I might give "Penthouse" a try too. 

Yep, when I first started watch Korean drama shows I heard Tree with Deep Roots was good. 

Hmmm. Hopefully Alice answers the major questions at least. These time travel drama shows like to end on questions. Train did, Nine Time Travels did and most time travel shows I have watched in some shape or form did as well. Signal wasn’t exactly time travel but even in that show although a certain important character changed his future, he still paid a price and his ending was uncertain. Maybe they will answer that question in Signal 2. 

Indeed I like Namgoong Min drama shows especially the crime ones. Not many people seem to have watched Doctor Prisoner and Distorted but I liked those shows. Now he’s playing a brilliant detective and I don’t think I have ever seen him in that kind of role where he’s a police officer. 

Oh Sisyphus myth is 2021? They need to update the thread with the right premiere year then. :lol: They still have 2020 on it. 

I’ll definitely try Penthouse and The Spy Who Loved Me. I’m not really fond of spy stuff though just like I’m not fond of undercover cop shows and con artist shows. I think it’s because in all of them deception and danger is a way of life. The deception part is not something I can root me. I’m watching Private Lives even though I don’t like con artist shows but that seem to have a story beyond conning where the people involved are dangerous. I’m only on episode 3 so I don’t know what happened afterward in episodes 4 - 6.

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1
2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Yep, when I first started watch Korean drama shows I heard Tree with Deep Roots was good. 

Hmmm. Hopefully Alice answers the major questions at least. These time travel drama shows like to end on questions. Train did, Nine Time Travels did and most time travel shows I have watched in some shape or form did as well. Signal wasn’t exactly time travel but even in that show although a certain important character changed his future, he still paid a price and his ending was uncertain. Maybe they will answer that question in Signal 2. 

Indeed I like Namgoong Min drama shows especially the crime ones. Not many people seem to have watched Doctor Prisoner and Distorted but I liked those shows. Now he’s playing a brilliant detective and I don’t think I have ever seen him in that kind of role where he’s a police officer. 

Oh Sisyphus myth is 2021? They need to update the thread with the right premiere year then. :lol: They still have 2020 on it. 

I’ll definitely try Penthouse and The Spy Who Loved Me. I’m not really fond of spy stuff though just like I’m not fond of undercover cop shows and con artist shows. I think it’s because in all of them deception and danger is a way of life. The deception part is not something I can root me. I’m watching Private Lives even though I don’t like con artist shows but that seem to have a story beyond conning where the people involved are dangerous. I’m only on episode 3 so I don’t know what happened afterward in episodes 4 - 6.

Let's see how Alice will do. I thought you had dropped it since you were inactive on its thread. Many were not really happy with the development of plot in the recent episodes, and I thought even you dropped it because of it. I liked Signal, found its ending fine too, and waiting for Signal 2. I have not read about it yet, but I really hope that they do keep the main 3. Although I for Signal 2 to be Signal, we'll need a new storyline of detective connected to another one in the past. I wouldn't mind seeing our main trio reunited with the old detective guy, solving cases by connecting to another detective in the past. 

One thing I really found great about Namgoong Min is that all his dramas since he started doing ML roles have different in plot and so were his roles. We saw him as a corrupt yet righteous manager in Chief Kim, then as a reporter trying find the truth behind his brother's death, then we he did a rom-com where he was a single love-guru, then his role of a doctor driver by revenge and extremely calculative in Dr. Prison, and finally a stubborn General Manager with 100% record in Stove League. I am really looking forward in seeing him act as a detective this time. He has got great acting talent. By the way, I didn't watch his "Distort" is it the other name for his "Falsify" drama?

I am watched "Spies who loved me", the first two episodes were fine. I usually love dramas will undercover cop or con artists. I find them interesting. I am also watching "Private Lives" I think the plot though has a great potential, but is still stuck in back stories and intros at least till 5th episode. There were some good developments in episode 6, so I am hopeful we'll see the plot moving forward and not see flashbacks. 

• Like 3

So many LoTR fans. :) I had read those books a long time ago. The first was the Hobbits. Then I got hooked and started reading the others and finally, Silmarillon which is written by the son. I had watched  only one movie and as usual, I was disappointed when it was based on a favourite book. The writers and directors had different notions of the characters and scenes from my imaginings. So for Harry Potter, I only watched the movies, excellent CGI, but not really among my must rewatch shows. Another list of books are the Dune books, yes I am a sci fi fan. Again the movie was disappointing. When I had to read short stories from a Brazilian writer, I was ' no way', like how!'   but I was perfectly ok with elves and space folding. :D

Now, I want to watch those supernatural Kdramas like Arang and the magistrate, but I can't find any.  I did not find time travel kdramas to be enjoyable or something I want to rewatch, like the woman with dementia series - some sort of time travel here.

• Like 1
  • Love 2