My corner of Soompi

Lmangla

Favorite Christmas Songs/Carols?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite Christmas songs/carols? (choose as many as you like)

• "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey
    • "Last Christmas" by Wham!
    • "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby
    • "Feliz Navidad" by José Feliciano
    • "Baby It's Cold Outside" by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
    • "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
    • "Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee
    • "Frosty the Snowman"
    • "Jingle Bell Rock"
    • "Do They Know It’s Christmas?" by Band Aid
    • "Blue Christmas" by Elvis Presley
    • "O Tannenbaum"
    • "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
    • "The Christmas Song" (aka Chestnuts roasting on an open fire....) by Nat King Cole
    • "Jingle Bells"
    • "Silent Night"
    • "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt
    • "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams
    • "Winter Wonderland" by Dean Martin
    • None of the above / Something else
  2. 2. Your favorite Christmas songs/carols? (choose as many as you like)

• "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jimmy Boyd / Jackson 5
    • "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing"
    • "Deck the Halls"
    • "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"
    • "Let It Snow" by Frank Sinatra / Dean Martin
    • "O Holy Night"
    • "Joy to the World"
    • "Carol of the Bells"
    • "O Come, All Ye Faithful"
    • "12 Days of Christmas"
    • "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" by Michael Bublé / Bing Crosby
    • "The First Noel"
    • "Little Drummer Boy"
    • "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
    • "It Came Upon The Midnight Clear"
    • "Away In A Manger"
    • "Ave Maria"
    • "O Little Town of Bethlehem"
    • "Good King Wenceslas"
  3. 3. Your favorite Christmas songs/carols? (choose as many as you like)

• "Silver Bells"
    • "Here Comes Santa Claus (Down Santa Claus Lane)" by Gene Autry
    • "Caroling Caroling" by Nat King Cole
    • "Sleigh Ride" by Ella Fitzgerald
    • "We Wish You a Merry Christmas"
    • A local Christmas song popular in your country :)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/25/2023 at 06:00 PM

19 hours ago, kdramaenthusiastdave said:

Traveling to Singapore and Beyond!

Hey everyone, I'm back from an amazing trip to Singapore in early December! It was the perfect time to visit with just the right mix of sun and rain. I really enjoyed exploring everything Singapore had to offer using this guide:

<removed>

It gave me such a good overview of all the top attractions, things to do, and Singaporean culture. Some of my favorite spots were:

Gardens by the Bay - It truly is breathtakingly beautiful! I could have spent all day wandering the gardens.

Marina Bay Sands - Taking in the views from the infinity pool and sky park was magnificent.

Hawker Centers - The food was so cheap and delicious. I love that you can get such authentic local cuisine.

Night Safari - Seeing nocturnal animals was a really unique experience. Some of them were out during the day too.

Now I'm off to South Korea to explore some locations that inspired my favorite K-dramas! I'll be spending Christmas in Seoul visiting:

Nami Island - The picturesque setting for many romantic drama scenes. Anyone else a fan of Winter Sonata?

Insadong - For shopping and eats featured in It's Okay Not To Be Okay. Any restaurant recommendations?

Han River Park - Such a breathtaking backdrop, I bet it will be even more beautiful blanketed in snow!

Please share if any of you have visited these places too or have tips for making the most of my Korea trip! I can't wait to visit the locations that brought my favorite drama characters to life.

@kdramaenthusiastdave  I remember Singapore was the very first country I visited so many years ago. Gardens by the Bay is so special because of the Flower Dome. It's an amazing place that one must see when in Singapore. I spent an entire day there and still did not manage to cover the entire place. The best time of day to visit the place would be late afternoon or evening so you can catch the sunset views of the Singapore cityscape from the Supertree Observatory.   :heart2:

Yes, I was a fan of "Winter Sonata" because of Bae Yong Joon. This drama has good sceneries and good music. This drama is very famous especially in Japan. In fact, "Winter Sonata" was a driving force in bringing the Hallyu wave abroad. Nami Island was not only for this drama but, famous for being featured in many K-dramas and movies. It's just that a little far from Seoul. But, it's really worth-going. Now, is the best month to visit the place. My very first visit there was in autumn, the leaves were golden, covering the whole island. Nami Island is quite large. Insadong is a well known street that has a bit if everything. This is one of my favorite shopping streets in Seoul for souvenir shopping. It is a good place to experience K-traditions. If you love arts, you will love this place. Try Osegyehyang Resto - I just found this place when I was there looking for something to eat. What an amazing find! The location is a little tricky to find but worth it for the food. You have to sit on the floor on low table. Bukchon Sonmandu Insa is also a good place to try. I tried their beef bone soup with dumplings per recommendation. Han River Parks are a must see for anyone in Korea. This is also a well-known as the filming location for many K-popular dramas and variety shows especially Running Man. It's ideal for a long waterside stroll. Be sure to come in the evening to see the Banpo Bridge fountain illuminated after dark.  :hypehype:

Happy travels!   :heart1:
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

16 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

My small corner?

A full day of BTS today watching Jungkook Golden Live Stage and Suchwita online.  I miss seeing the 7 of them together but it's already been nearly a year for Jin.  The good part is that they left their own content while doing their enlistment and sometimes posted messages on Weverse.  So, it reminds me of myself, working far away from the family but still we can communicate. 

@YongZura⁷  I was able to watch the recent EP of Suchwita with Uhm Jung Hwa in it. She mentioned there that she is set to make a solo concert comeback next month. I find her beautiful. I'm happy that she's now fully-recovered from her voice cancer. They talked about the differences between their generations and K-Pop’s current idols. It's NICE that before Suga enlisted, he pre-recorded episodes of his show. He looks so COOL!   :kicks:   Of course, I also watched Jungkook's Golden Live Stage online.   What is there not to love, huh?   :loveu:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1

21 hours ago, joccu said:

@partyon  food or Glühwein. How about you?

Glühwein! :glasses:

Gluhwein-mulled-wine-create.jpg

18 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

I like it because there's something different or unexpected scene for me but it is true it might drain you emotionally too. It is TW all over and it deals with things that not everyone is open to talk about.   

With TW I thought you were first talking about Taiwan and couldn't make sense of your sentence. :sweatingbullets:

Am not much for Trigger Warnings myself - difficult things are part of life too. Am just not yet in the mood to watch it, but I will get it to it as soon as I have less stress because of my work. :wub:

18 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Ooooh did you watch yesterday's Suchwita?

Not yet! Was it good? :love: Uhm Jung Hwa looks good for her age! She could be Yoongi's noona.

57499a19099bda944e1196060f20a582aba4c1dd

18 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Unfortunately I think I've de facto dropped Strong Girl Nam Soon, especially after hearing that the FL and ML don't really have much screen time together. They were the cutest part about that show, and the bad guy gives me the heebie jeebies so I don't want to watch it anymore.

It's sensational that you have dropped yet another drama, chingu! :hushed: The +- thread's bad way of dropping dramas left and right is rubbing off on you. :bawling: How many dramas did you drop in 2023 in total?

14 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I yelled, what kind of candy is Mentos?  That's no candy!

Agree! It's like a mint :unamused:

10 hours ago, willenette said:

I find her beautiful. I'm happy that she's now fully-recovered from her voice cancer.

She is very beautiful! :fullofhearts: She had thyroid cancer and seems to have recovered from it well.

It's NICE that before Suga enlisted, he pre-recorded episodes of his show. He looks so COOL!  

He does, doesn't he? :dorakiss:

8ff45a1e8fc213881a544be1cede52fe354a6b02

1 hour ago, usadango said:

chestnut roasting on an open fire by Nat King Cole

christmas eve by Yamashita Tatsuro

mary's boy child by Boney M

Thanks for sharing your favorite songs! :kiss_wink: Did you watch any dramas this year? :kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

@willenette you are awesome!

@partyon I keep rewatching that episode.  I love her positive perspective and to think that the members have already impressed her during their early years is so heartwarming.   She did address herself as 누나 :love: 

Now that the announcement about the final 4 members is out, I'm feeling a little bit of emptiness.  Though I know there will be a lot of content for the ARMY.    Well, I wish them all the best and come back together safely by 2025.

• Sad 2
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Wait!  I didn't know there is a poll!  I didn't see these:

• We Three Kings-Rod Stewart
  • White Christmas-Rod Stewart

Oh man, now I'm in the mood listening to these songs

And only because I saw in my Apple music.............

cr:  WildCherryVEVO

C'mon now I know y'all are busting out the dance moves and singing!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

10 hours ago, partyon said:

Not yet! Was it good? :love: Uhm Jung Hwa looks good for her age! She could be Yoongi's noona.

Agree! It's like a mint :unamused:

She is very beautiful! :fullofhearts: She had thyroid cancer and seems to have recovered from it well.

He does, doesn't he? :dorakiss:

@partyon definitely..............20 years or more age gap?  I noticed that some if not most singers have thyroid cancer. Yes, Suga is in his military service right now to a non-combat role (social service). It’s a fixed hourly job that doesn’t involve a lot of physical stress.Usually, those who are assigned here are those not strong enough condition to handle the physical stresses of active duty.People with medical issues are either exempt completely or they are instead ordered to serve their military terms as a public service worker. So, the mandatory social service is given to men in Korea in place of military service for some reasons. Being a Public Service Personnel you could only work regular working hours and you’re allowed to spend your free time on your own. Social service workers have a first service system where the person starts his service before he receives his military training, which takes place three weeks later during the service period. So, I guess Suga had undergone his training by this time.   :heart2beat:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

@willenette you are awesome!

Now that the announcement about the final 4 members is out, I'm feeling a little bit of emptiness.  Though I know there will be a lot of content for the ARMY.    Well, I wish them all the best and come back together safely by 2025.

@YongZura⁷  Awww.....you're so sweet. Thank you for saying that. I share your emptiness, too. But, they'll be back before you  know it. Time flies so fast - and 2025 is here! Looking forward to their safe return, individually and as a group! They’ve shown how committed they’re to fans and to music. I will miss Jungkook very much! I'll be waiting for sure...Here's to June/July 2025!  :kitty:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

On 11/22/2023 at 4:31 AM, YongZura⁷ said:

It will be quiet without any member around.

will smith empty room GIF

Like you said, there will be content for ARMY for sure. But still....

@willenette @YongZura⁷ @Ameera Ali @larus @sweetroad @kokodus @kingpin @confusedheart @4evrkdrama

Any guesses on who of the boys will return with abs? :hwaiting2:

My guess: JK, RM and surprisingly enough Hobi (he is working very hard I see :glasses:) Maybe Jimin too.

On 11/22/2023 at 5:09 AM, CarolynH said:
  • We Three Kings-Rod Stewart
  • White Christmas-Rod Stewart

We EOs love Rod Stewart! :fullofhearts:

He might not have had abs, but he made it up for it with very tight pants.

Jimmy Fallon Flirt GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

23 hours ago, willenette said:

I noticed that some if not most singers have thyroid cancer.

Really? Who else has had it? :scream:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, partyon said:

Nah!

Hmm... their latest documentary is coming on Disney.  Hobi's "On The Street" is coming too. RM's new song is coming, including V maybe (based on the photos).  Jimin with an MV including JK with lots of shooting going on also. Hopefully, we'll get more Suchwita.  Lastly, once in a blue moon, we'll get a Weverse post.:love: (BTW, I do understand what you meant.)

2 hours ago, partyon said:

Any guesses on who of the boys will return with abs? 

I will leave that to your imagination :lol:  They, themselves were surprised to see how Jin looked like during Hobi's enlistment so...

Okay, I'm leaving for a moment with a small gift that I found during my journey to the Balkans (I forgot which country it was).   It just so happened that our trip was around Christmas time and I was wandering around the market area.  I saw this unique and lovely purple heart.  My favourite Korean word --> 사랑 = love   Take care, see you.

20231009_080242.jpg?ex=656d218a&is=655aa

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

13 hours ago, partyon said:

Like you said, there will be content for ARMY for sure. But still....

@willenette @YongZura⁷ @Ameera Ali @larus @sweetroad @kokodus @kingpin @confusedheart @4evrkdrama

Any guesses on who of the boys will return with abs? :hwaiting2:

My guess: JK, RM and surprisingly enough Hobi (he is working very hard I see :glasses:) Maybe Jimin too.

Really? Who else has had it? :scream:

@partyon  I very much agree with you - when Jin & J-hope started serving their MS, we have already felt the void, the silence is quite deafening. The DAY when JK leaves, that day for sure is the one I'm not waiting at all.   :headbang:

I guess 6 of the boys will return with hottest post-military abs except for Suga. But, wait & see - when they start their lives on barracks since no news yet for the remaining (4) on what station they will be assigned. They will be evaluated. For this evaluation, there are different grades that impact their service.Those in grades one, two, and three are able to be enlisted for active duty service, and the activities following their service are based on their qualifications, education, and age.The next two grades are those who are not able to be enlisted for active duty due to ill health. These days, celebrities usually apply to join military band units, whose singers, performers and sound engineers stage events for fellow members of the armed forces. Still, they have time to work-out. Inside the camp, they have a strict schedule to follow : morning roll-call, breakfast, morning tasks, lunch, afternoon tasks, physical training, dinner, free time, cleaning, evening roll-call, & sleep. The soldiers undergo a session of physical training each day to maintain their health.Physical training consists of a lot of running: running on the street, running with gear, running in the mountains, etc. With such consistent exercise, these soldiers are likely to become fit and healthy even if they don’t want to! The following morning, they will repeat their daily schedule. Although the schedule is tight and seems exhausting, one can’t deny that their routine sounds quite healthy!   :cutekitty:

Usually, when we hear that our favorite idols and actors are heading off to the military there are two thoughts that run through our minds: “How am I going to survive 18- months (from 21) without him?” and “What is he going to look like shirtless when he comes back?” hahaha - I'm sure they all be coming out of the military looking sharp and chiseled in face and body. Like Song Joong Ki when he was discharged, he has filled out so nicely, right?  No doubt about JK & RM.   :kicks:

I'm talking about singers here in my side - Park So-dam was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer but, she's not a singer, though. Usually, the biggest fear of those singers who were diagnosed with thyroid cancer was losing their voice. I read an article that Korea experienced the highest thyroid cancer epidemic among other countries worldwide. When facing a cancer diagnosis, celebrities have to make the difficult decision of whether to share it with the public or keep it private. :emmm:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

22 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

(BTW, I do understand what you meant.)

Yeah, it won't be the same :criesariver:

22 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Okay, I'm leaving for a moment with a small gift that I found during my journey to the Balkans (I forgot which country it was).   It just so happened that our trip was around Christmas time and I was wandering around the market area.  I saw this unique and lovely purple heart.  My favourite Korean word --> 사랑 = love   Take care, see you.

That's very beautiful, chingu. :kiss_wink:

One of my favorite Korean words is 내일 (naeil) - "tomorrow". I just like the way it sounds.

My favorite Korean phrase is:

천천히 말해 주세요 (I would romanize it as "jeonjeon(h)i mar(h)ae juseyo") - "please speak more slowly". :joy: My other favorite phrase is 다시 말해 주세요 (I would romanize it as "dashi mar(h)ae juseyo") - "please repeat it / say it again". :joy:

I guess 6 of the boys will return with hottest post-military abs except for Suga.

Poor Suga. No one believes he can get abs. :joy: I don't think anyone's surprised @larus

6016d51dde5376474a4b0e92ff84a483.gif

6 hours ago, ElleSor said:

This is my all-time favorite.

That's a lovely song! :love: Have you been watching any dramas this year?

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

This year, for some reason, I watched more Chinese dramas.

My fav cdramas

-  Ripe Town ...it is a really good crime drama

3:45...the mind-blowing murder scene.. 

- Reset

- Unchained Love

The best jdrama I've watched is definitely the drama ''Silent''.  

I also liked the drama Trillion Game and the movie  As Long As We Both Shall Live...

Through these dramas I discovered a Japanese band... Snow Man...  

• Love 2

8 hours ago, partyon said:

Poor Suga. No one believes he can get abs. :joy: I don't think anyone's surprised @larus

@partyon  no offense meant dear, I know Suga is your oppa, I like him, too! But, the reason I excluded him in my guess was because he's enlisted for the social service and not under active-duty. But, I've seen one of his pictures in the past shirtless and he has it!   :kitty:   BTW, I like your gif -  :heart:

• LOL 2

On 11/21/2023 at 2:00 PM, willenette said:

@kdramaenthusiastdave  I remember Singapore was the very first country I visited so many years ago. Gardens by the Bay is so special because of the Flower Dome. It's an amazing place that one must see when in Singapore. I spent an entire day there and still did not manage to cover the entire place. The best time of day to visit the place would be late afternoon or evening so you can catch the sunset views of the Singapore cityscape from the Supertree Observatory.   :heart2:

Yes, I was a fan of "Winter Sonata" because of Bae Yong Joon. This drama has good sceneries and good music. This drama is very famous especially in Japan. In fact, "Winter Sonata" was a driving force in bringing the Hallyu wave abroad. Nami Island was not only for this drama but, famous for being featured in many K-dramas and movies. It's just that a little far from Seoul. But, it's really worth-going. Now, is the best month to visit the place. My very first visit there was in autumn, the leaves were golden, covering the whole island. Nami Island is quite large. Insadong is a well known street that has a bit if everything. This is one of my favorite shopping streets in Seoul for souvenir shopping. It is a good place to experience K-traditions. If you love arts, you will love this place. Try Osegyehyang Resto - I just found this place when I was there looking for something to eat. What an amazing find! The location is a little tricky to find but worth it for the food. You have to sit on the floor on low table. Bukchon Sonmandu Insa is also a good place to try. I tried their beef bone soup with dumplings per recommendation. Han River Parks are a must see for anyone in Korea. This is also a well-known as the filming location for many K-popular dramas and variety shows especially Running Man. It's ideal for a long waterside stroll. Be sure to come in the evening to see the Banpo Bridge fountain illuminated after dark.  :hypehype:

Happy travels!   :heart1:

It sounds like you have such wonderful memories from your travels to Korea! I can see why Gardens by the Bay and Nami Island left such lasting impressions. Getting to experience the changing leaves in autumn at Nami Island must have been truly magical. Thanks for sharing all those great recommendations as well - Insadong, Osegyehyang Resto, and the Han River Parks sound amazing. Getting a taste of Korean culture and history makes the trip so rich. Thanks for providing such a visual picture of your experiences. 

13 hours ago, willenette said:

@partyon  no offense meant dear, I know Suga is your oppa, I like him, too! But, the reason I excluded him in my guess was because he's enlisted for the social service and not under active-duty.

No offense taken. :D He is my bias and even if he had enlisted in active duty, I would have been highly surprised if he would have come back with abs. :D He's the most lightweight in BTS.

Yoongi has other qualities :wub:

@larus Did you see this article that was released today on AKP?

1700227465-suga7.png

(mint Yoongi is famous)

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2023/11/sugas-seasonal-style-btss-min-yoongi-rocks-fall-fashion-trends

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1