[THE OFFICIAL] RM (알엠) / Kim Nam Joon (김남준) Thread ♪♫ ♫♪

bohmi

BTS “BE” Concept Clip (Room ver.) — RM

Source: ibighit via @jimintoday__

:dorashakes:

Epik High  When you have BTS’ RM’s phone number :joy:

The only quality → he knows RM’s phone number

Tablo: “The only thing that gives his life his existence value, he knows RM’s phone number.”  :lol:

Source: @andytrieu tiktok via @rkive_nmjoon

Andy’s tiktok profile picture :mrgreen:

Spoiler

sNsmSUb.jpg

At 24, BTS’ RM Is a K-Pop Icon — and Hip-Hop Legend
We examine the hip-hop legend that is BTS’ RM.

July 18, 2019 / by Elliot Sang. Source (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

D9_DjrgU4AAaSU3?format=jpg&name=large

Nam-joon began rapping as early as 2007 (when he was 13) and gained recognition as a part of the bubbling underground group DaeNamHyup before successfully auditioning for Big Hit Entertainment, where he’d become the first member of BTS in 2010. BTS eventually grew to prominence in the pop realm, but the Rap Monster refused to give in to the “sellout” brand and forget about hip-hop. His first solo mixtape, 2015’s RM, is a straightforward rap mixtape in the vein of Lil Wayne’s No Ceilings.

The biggest hit from the tape, "Do You," features Nam-joon expressing his discontent with self-help books, genre labels and, naturally, prevailing ideas of hip-hop authenticity over Pharrell and Major Lazer’s “Aerosol Can.” The English hook repeats the phrase “do you” as a call to respect one’s authentic self.

Mono. is the title of RM’s most recent solo project, an EP released last October to positive reviews. It’s a decidedly melodic, genreless effort by a polyvalent pop star who spent years establishing himself as a “traditional” hip-hop lyricist. It features fleshed out ideas of solitude, depression, and the search for meaning that were teased on tracks like “Adrift” on RM. Despite its poppier sensibilities, the EP continued to showcase RM’s knack for lyricism and thematic exploration.

RM often uses phonetics to tie additional meanings to Korean words; on “Moonchild,” he pronounces “isukhae” similarly to “it’s okay,” and plays with the two meanings of “tear” (crying and ripping apart). The lyrics and thematic elements present in his music have become the subject of feverish analysis, akin to a Lupe Fiasco or a Kendrick Lamar, especially by BTS fans who have built a connection with his thoughtful songwriting. RM has made good use of this connection, tackling themes like depression and anxiety, appealing to teens and young adults.

“Because of his English, he’s one of the most accessible idols,” Dennis of kpopstups said on YouTube. “When it comes to straight hip-hop, he’s probably the single best (in my opinion, of course). I always like to refer to this song, which is, in my opinion, the best rapping any Korean idol has ever done. He raps really fast while changing up his flow and rhyme patterns every two to four bars.”

“As a technical matter, RM is a very good rapper,” says the venerable T.K. Park, a blogger from AskAKorean. “[He] strives for smoothness and naturality, but upon closer examination, his rap is finely curated and tightly woven.”

“RM has an important place in Korean hip-hop history,” T.K. tells DJBooth. “There has been a constant tension between idol acts and hip-hop artists in Korea, where the hip-hop community would look askance at idol acts for being overproduced. But because RM established his identity as an artist through hip-hop, he was able to pull the two communities together and find legitimacy as both an idol and a rapper.”

A perfect example of RM’s synthesis is “Timeless,” a 2018 collaboration with Korean hip-hop legend Tiger JK (AKA Drunken Tiger), in which Namjoon pays homage to his OG. “Your whole life was a damn concert / Whether you like it or not you raised another monster,” he quips in English, directly tying his birth as an artist—a K-Pop idol and superstar—to Drunken Tiger’s influence as a certified Korean hip-hop legend. Tiger JK will tell you himself that RM defied his expectations as an idol and as an artist. The gap is bridged.

Read the full article at the link source.

Oct 24, 2016

G-Dragon, Rap Monster, CL, Epik High, Zico, And More Named As “10 Korean Rappers You Should Know” By XXL Magazine

g-dragon-rap-monster-cl.jpg?s=900x600&e=

American hip-hop magazine XXL has put together a list of the ten Korean rappers that they think their readers should check out!

The ten rappers on the list include some of the biggest names in both underground and mainstream Korean hip-hop (in no apparent order): Keith Ape, Block B’s Zico, the guys of Epik High, Okasian, BTS’s Rap Monster, JayAllDay, BIGBANG’s G-Dragon, 2NE1’s CL, Beenzino, and Dok2.

Writer Peter A. Berry compares Rap Monster to “Pitbull or Flo Rida for those pop vibes,” and promises, “Rap Monster rarely fails to live up to his name.” He describes the young star as “one of the region’s most dexterous rappers, capable of switching flows effortlessly as he glides across an array of diverse instrumentals.”

(Soompi)

Oct 19, 2016

10 Korean Rappers You Should Know

The South’s got something to say -- South Korea, that is. Over the last several years, the nation’s hip-hop scene has exploded as acts like Keith Ape, Zico and CL have been killing the game in Korea, while gradually establishing a presence in the U.S. For those not paying attention, it might seem like the Korean rap scene of today materialized overnight, but that's certainly not the case. Hip-hop has been thriving in the country for years.

The genre began spreading through South Korea after the fall of the nation’s authoritarian military government at the end of the 1980s. The collapse of that censorship-heavy regime, along with the cultural collision course that was the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea laid the groundwork for the nation’s thriving rap scene in 2016. It hasn’t been easy, but the Internet’s made it easier for rap fans from other countries to absorb bits and pieces of American hip-hop culture in the blink of an eye. As a result, a new generation of Korean rappers have emerged showcasing an intriguing mix of K-Pop and hip-hop.

Some of South Korea's best rappers have more in common with One Direction than they do members of the ASAP Mob. Others would fit right in with the Travi$ Scotts and Young Thugs of the world. While some of the rhymers in South Korea have been around for years, others have made a name for themselves in what seems like the blink of an eye. XXL takes a look at many of the biggest names in South Korea's vibrant hip-hop culture.

Rap Monster

Hometown: Ilsan, South Korea
Notable songs: "Do You," "Joke"
Sounds like: Pitbull or Flo Rida for those pop vibes.
Why you need to know him: Rap Monster rarely fails to live up to his name. The Ilsan, South Korea-raised rapper is one of the region's most dexterous rappers, capable of switching flows effortlessly as he glides across an array of diverse instrumentals. The 22-year-old first gained major recognition back in 2013, with his boy band, BTS. Since then, he's continued working with the group, even as his individual star continues to shine brighter.

(XXL Magazine)

Nov 9, 2020

[SBS Star] BTS RM Sends Gifts to National Libraries with a Handwritten Letter

201489103_1280.jpg

National libraries of South Korea have begun to receive thoughtful donations from K-pop boy group BTS' leader RM.

Recently, one ARMY (BTS' official fan club) who works at one of the national libraries took to Twitter to share photos of the eight books gifted to the library long with a handwritten letter of RM.

Spoiler

201489104_1280.jpg

dwTF5tP.jpg

RM's handwritten letter reads as follows:

Really, I don't think there is an easier or deeper way than a book to learn about something.

I, too, am still learning and talking with many artists through books; and sometimes, it even feels like they are alive and right next to me.

I hope you enjoy the books and receive a lot of comfort and inspiration just like I did. Fine arts are not hard, and they are very close to us.

201489105_1280.jpg

Previously, RM donated 100 million won (approximately 84,200 dollars) to the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art to celebrate his birthday. (read here)

His donation focuses on books published by the museum that is hard to find or needs to be republished, and the books were donated to both public libraries and schools nationwide.

Spoiler

201489107_1280.jpg

Thanks to RM's generous donation and his sincere appreciation of the arts, the museum published a total of 4,000 copies of the 8 art books and helped open many people's eyes to the importance of culture, arts, and history. (SBS Star)

Spoiler

Source: @As_always0613

EmRs4PbVMAE1jrV?format=jpg&name=large

EmRs4qeVgAA6Q4H?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

Source: @clara8687

Emb6d7BU4AE6x3A?format=jpg&name=medium

Nov 9, 2020

BTS: The Rolling Stone Interview

RM-1-960x640.jpg

“We need a balanced mix of happiness and sadness and light and dark to act as nutritive elements in our lives.”— RM. Photograph courtesy of Big Hit Entertainment

What is the process of choosing a title track for a BTS album? Is the title song the one that best represents the album, or are there other factors that are considered?

RM: The lead single is usually the song that we feel best embodies the overarching theme of the album.

RM, I remember when you did your livestream for Love Yourself: Tear and you showed us the demo for “Fake Love,” it had more of a raw, rock vibe to it compared to the final release. What affects how a track changes from when you create or receive a demo, to the version you finally decide to add on the album?

RM: Because there are seven members involved, many adjustments are always made before the final release of a song. Our vocals and tones are so unique that it’s difficult at times to even come to an agreement about the key. However, we repeat the process of trial and error as we try out different things and finally discover what feels right for all of us.

When you wrote your earlier albums, whether it was Dark & Wild or The Most Beautiful Moment in Life series, you were adolescents. Now when you look back at these records as successful adults, how has your perspective on what the youth need to hear in music evolved?

RM: When I was younger, I thought that sadness had to be dealt with sadness. Now that I am older, I realize that is not always the case. We need a balanced mix of happiness and sadness and light and dark to act as nutritive elements in our lives.

RM, you said at one point, that if you can bring people’s pain down “from a 100 to 99, 98 or even 97, the value of [BTS’] existence is enough.” How does it feel when people reach out to you and tell you the songs you wrote and performed saved their lives?

RM: I’m doubtful if I’m worthy of receiving such comments. On the contrary, it’s those very people who have pulled me back from the edge of the cliff down to 98, 97, so you can say we are saving each other’s lives.

You’re very well known for your philanthropy, especially your partnership with UNICEF for the Love Myself campaign. When did you first get involved in charity work and how do you want to grow this message of giving back?

RM: We have always wanted to be a positive influence in the world whether it may be through our music or our actions. We’re grateful that we’re able to take that further through partnership opportunities like the UNICEF Love Myself campaign. We’re also thankful to our ARMY who are involved in many charitable works.

RM, in 2018, you released your second solo mixtape mono. There was a vulnerability, openness and softness to this album that was distinctly different from your first mixtape, 2015’s RM. Can you talk about this transition in your music as a solo artist?

RM: My color and identity have completely changed again since mono —(new music for his next mixtape?? hmm.. :rolleyes:)— , but I wanted to address that dark and monochrome side of myself then. I hope it can comfort anyone who is in a similar chapter in their life.

The term ‘Namjooning’ has become synonymous in the fandom with taking time to yourself or going on nature walks. How do you feel about ARMY adopting these little wholesome terms from you and incorporating it into their own lives?

RM: I’m very thankful, but also feel a sense of responsibility. I began music because I wanted to share my story and become a positive influence to many people, so I would be honored if I can continue to show my hard work and the results of my efforts.

You love reading books–have you ever considered writing one?

RM: When I read, I realize that everyone has one’s own area of expertise. Will I write a book? I’m not sure, but it doesn’t seem like an impossible idea someday once I gain more knowledge and experience.

(Rolling Stone India)

The November 14 episode of KBS’s “Immortal Songs” featured the hit songs of BTS’s producer, Pdogg.

To support their producer, BTS filmed a special video interview to share behind-the-scenes stories about their hit songs and their work with Pdogg.

The guest singers on the show included Sunwoo Jung-A, Son Seung Yeon, Song So Hee, Yook Joong Wan Band, Goon Jo and ALiEN, and BAE173. BTS shared that they had cheered when they heard that Sunwoo Jung-A would be on the show.

“I’m a huge fan,” RM said. “I really enjoyed listening to her song ‘Run with Me.’” (Soompi)

RM has ever shared Sunwoo Jung-A’s song “Run with Me” on Weverse before. (December 2019)

(Source)

8GVDSw4.jpg

HONNE tweets: can’t believe this was 4 years ago :flushed:

Spoiler

PK9lMul.jpg

November 13, marks the day when Namjoon changed his stage name from Rap Monster to RM.

Nov 13, 2017

BTS’s RM Officially Announces Change To Stage Name

BTS leader RM has officially confirmed that he will no longer be using his former stage name Rap Monster. On November 13, RM wrote a message on the group’s official fan cafe. He said,

I’ve been promoting under the name Rap Monster for about five years, since the end of 2012.

It was a stage name that I naturally came to be called among our company family members and my members, after a line in a song I’d made as a trainee, and I think I became very fond of it.

But once I started promoting, the name ‘BTS’s Rap Monster’ was a bit long, and I’ve become keenly aware of the fact that it’s become different from [what I want] to put at the front of the music I’ve made for the past five years, and the music I want to share in the future.

At some point, I started introducing myself as Rapmon or RM, rather than the full name Rap Monster.

So I’d like to change the name I use for promotions to ‘RM,’ which I think is more in accordance with the music I’m aiming for and also has a wider spectrum.

Since I’ve already released some music and mixtapes as RM, I think that some fans will have already guessed this.

I thought about this carefully for a long while, because I want to make music for a long time in the future with an unrestricted and open mind and view.

It’s possible that it’s a bit awkward to be changing my stage name, which I’ve been called since before my debut, and you may feel like it’s unfamiliar. However, I would be sincerely grateful if you would welcome me after I’ve started with a new name following a long time of consideration.

Thank you!

- RM -

(Soompi)

:omg:

RM is credited as one of the Vocals on John Eun’s new single “Hope”. The song just came out today!!

RM’s voice at 0:52-0:56 saying ~ a little hope, a little hope ~

Spoiler

Just a little bit of hope, a little hope
Just a little bit of hope or
I can’t stand it anymore
A little hope, a little hope
Ain’t easy live without a care

Just a little bit of hope, a little hope
Just a little bit of hope or
I can’t stand it anymore
A little hope, a little hope
→ (RM’s part)
Ain’t easy live without a care

I cannot put me inside a man, a man
I shall compose myself with no blames
And you could see that if I try, I try
One day, when you would turn around
You’d see, I stand behind your ground
Yet there is ever lasted fear of down
Man, I could live without it now

When the river’s down low
When it goes down low
When the river’s down low
I can’t stand it anymore

The song is so good but it’s too short :(

John Eun 은희영 - Hope
Release date: Nov 18, 2020
Genre: Indie music, folk/blues

EnFnIfdXEAA-tBM?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Source:
@LemonamuRM

John Eun Instagram
Melon

RM previously shared John Eun’s songs - Walkin’ on Twitter (August 2019) and Heart on Weverse (May 2020).

(Source)

So cool of RM to support an indie artist with a small following in a very subtle, unflashy but impactful way.

(Source)

Nov 17, 2020

LYST is out with their “Year in Fashion 2020”

The 10 celebrities whose personal style choices drove the biggest spikes in searches, sales, news coverage and social media mentions over the last 12 months.

1. Harry Styles
2. Beyoncé

3. Kim Namjoon (RM) of BTS

As the leader of BTS, Kim Namjoon (also known as RM) is considered the most influential member of the KPop group. In February, when BTS visited New York and Namjoon was spotted wearing a white turtleneck with a white jacket, fashion searches for similar menswear pieces spiked 67% that week. Plus, when BTS performed at the 2020 MTV VMAs wearing full Gucci looks, searches for Gucci ties (+28%) and three-piece suits (+12%) spiked within 24 hours.

Spoiler

HNEUdgy.jpg

4. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
5. Travis Scott
6. Paul Mescal
7. Lizzo
8. Charli D’Amelio
9. Kate Middleton
10. Chiara Ferragni

Source: @lyst and lyst

Harry Styles, Beyoncé and Kim Namjoon Top Lyst Power Dressers List

LONDON — British online shopping platform Lyst is releasing its “Year in Fashion 2020” report on Tuesday. Based on more than 100 million search, sales and social media metrics from the site, it reveals some of the most powerful celebrities, brands, products, fashion movements and moments of the year.

The top 10 celebrities whose personal style drove the biggest spikes are Harry Styles, Beyoncé, Kim Namjoon of BTS, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Travis Scott, Paul Mescal, Lizzo, Charli D’Amelio, Kate Middleton and Chiara Ferragni.

The report made clear just how much influence these big names have.

Source: via Yahoo

Harry Styles, Beyoncé and BTS’s RM Named “Power Dressers” of 2020 by Lyst

Harry Styles, Beyoncé, and BTS leader RM are officially some of the most influential celebs in the fashion business, per a new report by Lyst.

The British shopping platform released this year's "Year in Fashion" report on November 16. The year-end fashion list uses social, sales, and search metrics to determine the list of top brands, trends, predictions, and, yes, celebs. Harry, Beyoncé, and RM (real name Kim Namjoon) took the top three spots on the "Power Dresses" list – followed by the likes of AOC, Travis Scott, and Lizzo.

Source: via teenVogue

Genius Korea asked :
What’s your favorite rap verse in a Korean song?

Genius Korea answered : :D
Got six bullets in my tongue
Six snakes in my lung
Six shots got me feelin’ 2pac 그래 이건 에이셉의 가사여
금실 좋은 부부처럼 별거 없지
넌 천상 여자처럼 설 거 없지
Joke” - RM

RM rapping “Finesse” (Remix) (featuring Cardi B.) — Bruno Mars

Part 1. RM and J-Hope — Carpool Karaoke (February 2020)

On 9/23/2020 at 2:13 PM, bohmi said:

On Feb 26, 2020, Cardi B tweeted: ‘Me homeless cause hobi & joon took my job.’

Cardi B jokes she’s homeless thanks to J-Hope and RM as BTS slay Finesse on Carpool Karaoke.

Spoiler

Part 2. RM — BTS Festa (June 2020)

Spoiler

Part 3. RM and J-Hope — Run BTS Ep. 116 (November 2020)

:glasses::glasses:

Nov 20, 2020

RM Weverse Update

달아나자 미래로
Let’s run away to the future

(T/N: “Life Goes On” lyrics)

Trans cr: Amy @ bts-weverse-trans

et9Zms7.jpg

Cute:fun:

c4MVFL3.jpg

My favourite song from 'BE' is Life Goes On. The song is so beautiful :fullofhearts:

Overall ranking (my version)
1. Life Goes On
2. Fly to My Room = Telepathy = Dis-ease = Dynamite
3. Stay
4. Blue & Grey

I think the Grammys are the final part of the whole American journey.
- RM -

11-103-bw-1606148403.jpg?resize=768:*

November 2020

BTS in Esquire’s Winter issue cover

... near the end of the story, RM talked to Esquire’s Dave Holmes about how much winning a Grammy would mean to the group.

“We would like to be nominated and possibly get an award,” RM said. He added with a smile, “I think the Grammys are the last part, like the final part of the whole American journey... So yeah, we’ll see.”

Source: Esquire (1) (2)

Yeah, finally Grammy nominated BTS. I hope they’ll get it :letsgo: