[THE OFFICIAL] RM (알엠) / Kim Nam Joon (김남준) Thread ♪♫ ♫♪

bohmi

January 17, 2021

#1YearWithBlackSwan

BTS' 'Black Swan' was released on this day in 2020.

The song co-written by BTS' RM received praised from critics for its honest and raw lyrics & dark production.

The live performances have always been impressive with elaborate and high-energy choreography.

Spin or Bin Music

Why BTS’ “Black Swan” Should Have Been A Pop Hit In 2020

On 12/23/2020 at 9:40 PM, bohmi said:
On 10/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, bohmi said:

“RM provided the additional touches needed and really sprinkled on the magic of what the song has now become,” Nantes added.  [ ... ]  (Source)

RM watched the movie ‘Black Swan’ before writing the lyrics, which made him think of the life of dancers. (Source)

December 21, 2020

Insider's 30 Best Songs of 2020

Insider ranked the 30 best songs of 2020, weighing factors like critical acclaim, cultural impact, and listenability.

6. "Dynamite" may have been BTS' biggest hit this year, but "Black Swan" was their greatest artistic triumph.

"Black Swan" is a lush, theatrical song that grapples with self-doubt and fear — specifically, the BTS members' fear of dissonance. What happens when the biggest, most beloved band in the world doesn't feel creatively fulfilled by music anymore?

It's a truly fascinating choice as a single. "Black Swan" doesn't stomp and strut like "On," or blush and beam like "Boy With Luv." Rather, it broods and burns.

The song's shadowy production is anchored by a deliberate trap beat and the septet's sharp, unparalleled finesse; each line is delivered with a ferocious intensity.

The contrast is stunning. "Black Swan" sounds like anxiety and panic, even without understanding the Korean lyrics — but it feels like the focus and defiance that shines through that emotional fog, like a lighthouse beacon.

Source: Insider

giphy.gif

Posted on January 14, 2021

Namjoon thanking all the staff for their hard work after the award ceremony was over.

“I dare to assure you, that at that moment, Kim Namjoon wasn’t only leader of BTS, he was the leader of the entire place.”

— A staff at an award show

giphy.gif

After the award ceremony was over, BTS, who won the Daesang came down from the stage. On the way down, Namjoon shouted, “Thank you so much for your hard work!”

That expression of gratitude wasn’t only directed to his own staffs, but even the staffs who were dismantling the stage and were far away from where he was at that time could hear his voice.

Namjoon then applauded the staffs, clapped over his head. In response, the staffs stopped what they were doing and clapped together with him.

“Woah, you’ve worked hard!”  They greeted each other while applauding each other.

This was a tough event, we were like walking on thin ice/egg shells (working very carefully so that nothing goes wrong on the event) throughout the day.

Namjoon’s words were like freeze tag, Ddaeng! It was like that.

“All staff members, you’ve worked so hard, thank you so much for your hard work!”

I dare to assure you, that at that moment, Kim Namjoon wasn’t only leader of BTS, he was the leader of the entire place.

Source: @jiminism_hi, trans by @iIlejeons

Note: OP didn’t mention which award show this came from.

giphy.gif

DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT (2019)

My favorite quote these days is, Done is Better than Perfect. I think it means that, doing something is better than trying just to be perfect. That’s how I see it. I liked it.

“Done is better than perfect.”

Nothing is really ever perfect. So these days, I’ve taken that quote to heart.

RM (Namjoon)

Netflix Philippines tweeted,

Thinking about watching Sweet Home with Namjoon and leaning on each other for support during the scary scenesV0sB30d.jpg

In his recent VLive, Namjoon said that he watched Sweet Home and it was a fun show.

After he said that, Sweet Home was trending on Twitter. Webtoon Official retweeted it from fan account.

“Sweet Home” is a Netflix drama based on webtoon of the same name.

r5FT0kR.jpg

[ ... ]  The video, in which the members check the Grammy Awards nominations together, was shot on November 25 after they all agreed to RM’s suggestion that they record important moments together and share them: “It would have been somewhat inappropriate to ask the members to film when the nominations were going to be announced so late at night,” Bang recalled, “but they eagerly pitched the idea first, and thanked the staff after they were done shooting.” It was “thanks to the members that I was able to capture that important moment,” Kim said, while noting that “the most important thing when producing content is the artist’s desire to connect with their fans.”  [ ... ]

Source: Weverse Magazine

Ken Lewis did a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) on January 20.

He mentioned RM.

Question: Did you meet BTS in person? How was your experience with them?

Ken Lewis: Not all of them, RM was at my studio finishing his solo EP (mono.) the day after he spoke at the UN General Assembly. That was pretty special :-)  :wub:

5F9LnWM.jpg

Spoiler

EsRP0HxVkAEnAWM?format=jpg&name=medium

Ken Lewis is a producer, mixing engineer, songwriter, musician.

Source: @LemonamuRM

On his live yesterday (January 26), Jackson was asked about RM.

Question: Do you still talk to RM?

Jackson: Yes, from time to time but not a lot because he’s busy, I’m busy..

Here’s another link

These books have RM on the cover.

1. “The American Celebrities” — by Tatsumi Junk  (April 2020)

dn39330.jpg

RM on the bottom right corner.

[Vogue Girl Japan] Editors’ Pick for book to read this month (June 2020) — “The American Celebrities” by Tatsumi Junk.

Spoiler

Source (1) (2) (3) (4)

2. “Larger Than Life: A History of Boy Bands from NKOTB to BTS” — by Maria Sherman  (July 2020)

iFIUTwS.jpg

Source

3. “Pretty Boys” — by David Yi  (Coming June 2021)

TTlL2uM.jpg

RM on the letter ‘B’.

Spoiler

Source (1) (2) (3) (4)

January 28, 2021

DTS (Ducktan Sonyeondan) → “namjoon effect”:dorashakes:

From U.S. Embassy Seoul Twitter Update:  “rice duck with snow duck”

I found this tweet and it looked funny :mrgreen:

Film director Edgar Wright tweeted on April 2019:  “Here’s some of my BTS stills.”

He included a photo of RM and V (BTS) together with his BTS” stills. :lol:

H7X8jzE.jpg

Source (1) (2)

January 29, 2021

Musician Colde and his office (WAVY) featured in Vogue Living Korea. He shared that his long-time friend, RM, gave him a painting for his office opening.

The interesting part is that the artist (painter) and Colde have the same name (Colde’s real name is Kim Hee Soo). Colde said that the painting means a lot for him. :)

RM previously shared Colde’s song “Your Dog Loves You” on Twitter (May 2018).

Source (1) (2)

In VLive (September 2018), RM also mentioned that he worked with Colde on a song called “Old Future” but it fell through. :pensive:

Source (1) (2)

January 28, 2021

Cartoonist Choi Jaehoon, the illustrator of RMs ‘forever rain’ MV, was interviewed about his unique style.

EtYizHzUcAcObHh?format=jpg&name=large

RM asked to work with him. During the process and meeting, all the staff, RM, and the director chose the gloomiest drawings of his and that surprised him.

Cartoonist Choi Jaehoon also mentioned that he would have never met RM if he had used bright and various colours.

If you watch the full video, another level of meaning to RMs song and MV of ‘forever rain’ is added from the perspective of Cartoonist Jaehoon.

“Artists with similar sensitivity seems to be destined to meet in the end...”

Spoiler

Cartoonist Choi Jaehoon:

(at minute 2:21), After the work with Noda (leader of Japanese rock band, Radwimps), RM of BTS asked me to work with him. That too had a connection.

Because during the process and meeting, all staff, RM, the director chose the gloomiest drawings of mine. But the fact they wanted that was quite surprising to me.

[ explaining... ]

(at minute 7:28), “Why do people not like my gloomy paintings, they just keep unfollowing me.” This mindset was more pervasive. But RM too said that he would play ‘forever rain’ in a funeral. (RM ‘forever rain’ MV describes the loneliness and desolation between him and people using rain).

That song includes a very sensitive story of loneliness and depressions.

Source (1) (2) (3) (4)

RM “appeared” in the drama Lovestruck in the City Ep. 13

The K-drama, featuring Ji Chang Wook and Kim Ji Won, featured a hot brew (coffee) which features BTS member RM's picture on it. The brew was placed at the start of the recent episode. The 13th episode of the K-drama began with Choi Kyung Joon (played by Kim Min Seok) seated on his studio and unscrewing a bottle of the brew.

Just when he is about to take a sip, he turns towards the camera and asks if he should show the product he is drinking :D. When the bottle is turned, the camera closes up on Namjoon's face featured on the bottle. Choi Kyung Joon gives a quick review of the product before he dives back into finishing his painting. (Source)

:lol: :joy:

kjQf7ZQ.jpg

:mrgreen: :thumbsup:

February 4, 2021

Baekhyun, Wonho, J-Hope, RM And Blackpink’s Rosé: The K-Pop Solo Stars Who Could Break In America In 2021

ybJrPG0.jpg

Photo Credit. HoneyJoonie94

Almost all of the most successful musical acts from South Korea are groups, which is notably different to the American music market. Boy bands and girl groups like BTS, Blackpink, Monsta X, NCT 127 and SuperM (to name just a few) have managed to make many of the largest and most historic impressions on the Billboard charts, though solo acts have been gaining ground steadily throughout the past few years.

Many of the biggest solo acts to hail from the Asian country are connected to beloved groups, but that doesn’t make their accomplishments on their own any less notable. It looks like a handful of stars are planning on returning to their solo ventures this year, while others are perhaps overdue for a comeback of sorts.

Here are five South Korean solo musicians who could very well break in America in 2021.

RM

Like J-Hope, RM (formerly Rap Monster) of BTS has achieved solo success in addition to his work with the chart-topping band, and seeing as it has now been a few years since his last collection on his own, 2021 may see the man return...:Please: depending on the septet’s schedule, of course.

Back in 2018, RM’s mono. reached No. 26 on the Billboard 200, which at the time was incredible, as very few titles from South Korean musicians had placed inside the top 40 on that roster. Now, it’s not quite as showy, but he’s sure to improve that position with his next set.

When looking at songs, RM has found more success partnering with other acts, and he may continue to do that in 2021 as well. He’s now sent two tracks to the Digital Song Sales chart, and in both instances, he was a featured act. One even entered the top 10 for a single frame, and he stands as one of only five South Korean solo acts to find themselves in that region at any point (with three of the other four being fellow BTS members, of course).

No matter how he chooses to release music as RM in 2021 (if he does at all), he’s sure to establish himself further as a star in America when he does.  (Forbes)

I’m waiting :sipsboba:

Throwback to when Tony Elumelu met BTS

Source: Akpraise Media

September 12, 2020

This article published in honor of RM’s birthday.  :heart:

bY0EIaR.jpg

RM communicated and sympathized with the members as a leader in the group, leading the team with his own solid philosophy and fierce challenge spirit.

RM, an outstanding leader with talent, brain, physical, style, and English skills. RM, who received a high score of 1% in the national college entrance exam when he was a high school student with IQ 148, ‘showed off’ his ‘sexy brain’ by appearing on tvN’s show “Problematic Men” in the past. With excellent foreign language skills, RM has been interviewed on overseas talk shows and radio broadcasts without interpreter.

The article also mentioned RM’s speech at the United Nations 2018.

8xG3Prs.jpg

RM, known as a book lover in the entertainment industry, has the ability to write, compose, and produce many songs in the BTS album, has set the first and only record among Asian solo singers, with solo mixtape “mono.” topping iTunes 103 countries. [*120 countries now]

“RM could be one of the best songwriters and producers in the American music industry in the future,” said Wale, a well-known American rapper who referred to RM as ‘monsters of rap.’ Wale praised RM, “He’s that good.”

The article end by mentioning that on his birthday last year (2019), RM sent a heartwarming handwritten letter to ARMY, and donated 100 million won to a specialized school to provide music education for hearing-impaired students there.

Source: Naver via @RM_source

February 6, 2021

The Dignity of a Leader, BTS RM

RM, who once said “Tomorrow will be better than today, and the day after that will be better than tomorrow, and I will work towards being a better leader” has now become a “well respected” person for many people.

That being said, without RM, BTS wouldn’t have existed today.

Read the full article here (trans by @iIlejeons) / Source (1) (2) (3)

ggdyOQs.jpg

February 15, 2020

Story of RM - The greatest leader bringing BTS to the world
Would BTS be the BTS today without RM?

February 2, 2021

BTS Fan Spots RM In Her Old Vacation Photos Two Years Later

One lucky ARMY just got the surprise of a lifetime — BTS‘s RM in all his candidness!

A Twitter user by the name of tetestears shared a story about her once in a lifetime encounter with RM. Recently, she was scrolling through old photos from a trip she took to Copenhagen. She and her mother visited Denmark’s capital back in 2019.

EtK8DBRXAAINtV1?format=jpg&name=large

While on a boat tour, tetestears snapped a photo of her mother, unaware of who was in the background posing for his own photo.

“I came across this photo that I took of my mom on a boat tour,” she wrote in a tweet. “And when I zoomed in [on] the picture I started crying and screaming from happiness. It was Kim Namjoon right behind my mom.”

At the time, RM was on vacation in Europe.

Fellow ARMYs might be wondering how one of their own didn’t immediately spot RM,

“I wasn’t a fan back then and I had no idea who those people were. I’d never checked the photo until today, and I am totally losing my mind. I couldn’t believe it, still can’t. He was there with two friends and the boat tour went on for about an hour and a half.”

via Koreaboo

1. Wow I would've been so shocked I would've stopped breathingㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Ah

2. Let's all look through our trips pictures~~!!  :lol:

3. Hul daebakㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ That's impressive

4. Can this I-lovely show him the picture when we'll be able to go to offline fansigns again?? She succeeded in making a memory with her bias

5. Wow I can't even imagine how she must be feeling

6. Wow.. His jaw will be dropped when he learns this in the future... I'm so jealous that she could be this close to him

7. Wowㅋㅋㅋㅋ Even though she wasn't aware at that time, she still became a fan later and it's such a cool memory to haveㅋㅋㅋㅋ I'm envious!

8. Wowㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I bet he will be shocked if he knew tooㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ There was this other instance tooㅋㅋㅋ  Jungkook showed up in someone else's picture when he was young. Someone's mom or dad took that picture ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ that was funny as wellㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

9. What to doㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ What a shame she didn't recognize himㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ Namjoon-ah~~~ Still she realized who was in her picture and she can turn it into a happy memory

10. She was so close!!!!!!!!!!

[Pannchoa] / [theqoo]

November 26, 2020

Posted on a forum where gamers are talking about recent BTS X MAPLESTORY collab, op posts “got something to brag about even if it was for a short while, spent high school with King God Runch Randa-nim.”

Runch Randa, Namjoon’s old name, came from Maplestory. Runch Randa is a character in Maplestory.

Source (1) (2) (3) (4)

October 17, 2015

RM appeared as a guest on MBC‘s “Quiz to Change the World”

The October 16 episode of “Quiz to Change the World” features guests who were born in Seoul and guests who were born in other provinces of Korea. Rap Monster, who grew up in Ilsan, Gyeonggi Province, describes the difference between the passion for learning in Seoul and that of his hometown.

He says, “In Ilsan, the education fever is a lot more intense. When I was younger, I attended between 40 and 50 different after-school academies,” shocking the other guests. He goes on to add, “I transferred to Gangnam in high school, but even going to a prep-school there you had to take an exam. Only those who scored the highest were admitted.”

FYISVwX.jpg

Spoiler

SnJpAgc.jpg

kOtG8EC.png

Spoiler

CRVo2j5UAAAXkSE?format=jpg&name=900x900

Source (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

January 2016

This song hasn’t been released :triumph:  It said that the song produced by RM :thumbsup:
Jungkook’s voice :love:

February 2021

RM X RINA when??:cries3:

On 10/14/2020 at 8:53 PM, bohmi said:

Aug 12, 2020

Rina Sawayama says she’s written a song virtually with Namjoon

“We’ve actually spoken, we’ve written virtually together, which is sort of, a bit top secret, but I don’t think anything happened to that song :(, but maybe if you guys pester him enough, he’ll work on it or something :lol:, I don’t know man, they’re just so busy that I’m just like whatever is cool, that’s a cool...”  (Source)

Source (1) (2)