[THE OFFICIAL] RM (알엠) / Kim Nam Joon (김남준) Thread ♪♫ ♫♪

bohmi

EjJVc10.gif

RM posted New Year’s letter on Weverse

2020 is ending.

We all had high expectations for the year, as special as it sounded. But it ended up crushing our dreams. A stage without an audience. The performances without the cheers.

Yesterday and the day before… I sat in the chair inside the studio’s waiting room and kept thinking. How could this be? Could this really be? I guess I do really live in a world where the most nonsense things make sense.

Like a stream of water that flows between boulders, exhaustion and despair came seeping into our lives. And we feel like we have to fight against it — by getting out of our seats. But we’re told over and over to stay where we are, still and stagnant.

So in the meanwhile, I read a lot of books. I tried new things, the online way. I worked out at home. I tried delivery food. Like everyone else, I spent the year doing all kinds of things that I could find possible within the confinement of my room. And it’s still ongoing.

Time keeps going, in one way or another. We’ve survived the year that felt like an eternity. Now we wait for spring. It’s coming, right? Will this spring be better than the one we had? And we try not to expect anything because we don’t want to be let down… But we’re only human and we can only go on when we hang on to even the slightest bit of hope.

And so I remind myself of the countless people who have offered their love and support for me — even in this blistering winter. I promise myself that I won’t be discouraged so easily. Even when it feels like there is no one, I am listening.

For this year, I thought I’d try to be more concise and composed in my letter… but seeing from how my thoughts have poured out, I’m not ready to be — like a wise old tree. No matter how hard I try to trim my thoughts down, I can’t stop the words, the imaginations from branching out from the back of my head. And I feel like I have to at least reach out and try sharing… I guess this is simply who I am. I’ve been told by the elders that I’m darned to be this way. “Darned” to go my way until I find myself satisfied. ㅋㅋㅋ

These days, I found myself feeling extremely happy when the sky would be clear of fine dust. Even more so than before, I’d say. It feels as if my threshold of feeling happiness has become a lot lower than it used to be. I guess that might be a good thing, since I can find satisfaction in the smallest things now. Oh, how would it feel to hold a live concert in front of you guys right now! It would be a dream come true. This must be the lesson I’m learning this year, for having taken things for granted. In fact, I’m sure we’ve taught ourselves many more, though we may not have realized yet. Let’s hope it won’t take too long before we figure out.

The sun is setting beyond the horizon over the roof. To everyone like me, a speck of dust in this universe floating and trying to make something of my existence. To everyone on the outside, trying to swallow us whole with the cold stares and envy. I send this letter. No, 2020 has not all gone to waste.

And though I always come back to the word love, I write and write to tell you how I feel in ways that may be new and better. Thank you all for choosing to stick by my side through the difficult times.

Stay healthy and let us laugh together more. Let us march to a spring that is more like the spring we know. I love you all. Great work this year. I hope we can be of strength to you.

Do remember they can’t cancel the spring.

Happy New Year!

(- -) (_ _) (- -)

- 남준 (namjoon)

Spoiler

9sngRK6.png

Trans via Koreaboo

Gif by @912blues

Here are some versions of the English translation of RM New Year’s letter (more details). It was nice to read all of them. (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

• Like 1

January 8, 2021

[Interview] - John Eun talked about RM’s participation in his song “Hope”

A lot of famous musicians contributed to “Hope.” RM of BTS, eAeon of Mot as vocals. Isaac Hong participated in the chorus. Etc.

RM’s participation in “Hope” was a coincidence. It was a time when I gathered as many musician friends as possible to sing together. When the song was almost finished, I told RM that I wanted him to hear this new song, and he was happy to come to the studio.

gX0oGKx.jpg

Source:

On 11/18/2020 at 5:29 PM, bohmi said:

RM is credited as one of the Vocals on John Eun’s new single “Hope”. The song just came out today!!

RM’s voice at 0:52-0:56 saying ~ a little hope, a little hope ~

On 11/18/2020 at 5:29 PM, bohmi said:

RM previously shared John Eun’s songs - Walkin’ on Twitter (August 2019) and Heart on Weverse (May 2020).

(Source)

Analyzing RM’s Verse On “Ddaeng”

Sep 22, 2019 / by Elliot Sang

DyVkKb8.jpg

Photo Credit. as labeled

Speaking of RM, this thread specifically will discuss his verse on “ddaeng,” which has become the stuff of legend amongst ARMYs, and also the musical backdrop for a pretty cool viral dance video.

Here’s some things to look out for in RM’s verse. For one, if you don’t speak korean and you don’t invest deeply into understanding the verse, you’re probably going to miss at least one or two things.

Let’s get this part out of the way as well. In the song, multiple definitions of the word “ddaeng” are made use of by the three rappers. From doolsetbangtan:

[1] Wrong
[2] The sound of ringing a bell; clang
[3] Done; finished
[4] Release sign in 얼음 땡 (ice ddaeng), a children’s game (tag). The “it” chases regular players. Players can freeze themselves by saying ‘얼음 (ice),’ and the “it” can’t tag the frozen player. Another regular player can tag the frozen player and say ‘땡 (ddaeng)’ at the same time to release the frozen one.
[5] Having two cards from the same month in Hwatu. More explanations follow below.
[6] 땡땡 is an exaggerated form of 팅팅, which is used to describe swollen eyes, face, or body.

RM’s ability to synthesize ideas into one short 12 bar verse using both techniques in delivery and in lyricism display not only a gift for rapping, but for writing music in general. It’s part of the song’s beauty — not only do the words mock haters, but the music of it does too.

Consider the “ddaeng” onomatopoeia that permeates through the titular track; it’s silly, but it’s meaningful. It bounces, but it’s meaningful. Look how RM uses so many different definitions of “ddaeng” within his first four bars:

Spoiler

31XJuw9.jpg

Delivery-wise, one of the most noticeable moments of the verse both audibly and lyrically is RM’s “stutter flow.” It’s incredibly unique in the korean language but has only been sparingly in english, including a notable verse from Busta Rhymes in Tech N9ne’s “worldwide choppers.”

Where Busta opts for a more direct approach to the stumble concept, imitating cowardly people intimidated by his greatness, RM takes a more tongue-in-cheek and dare I say romantic approach to the stutters. He loves his haters so much that he stutters just to speak to them! Sweet.

It’s things like this that make RM, truly, 100%, one of the best rappers out. Most rappers that share the branding he gets, “conscious” or “lyrical” rappers, just write good bars or say smart things over beats. RM takes a songwriter’s approach; he uses musicality to communicate.

It’s not only atypical, but almost antithetical to the core elements that make hip-hop the world’s biggest genre and culture. Hip-hop is so based on raw energy and immediacy — from Kool Moe Dee emceeing at shows to young thug improvising punch-ins. RM is not “raw” in the same way.

Rather, his concentration is on building music that communicates ideas and messages as creatively as possible. He thinks about sound, like the onomatopoeia of “ddaeng,” and then uses it to communicate anything ddaeng means. He stutters to communicate bashfulness and sarcasm.

But he does it in a framework that’s easy to digest on the surface — with a controlled, fun delivery — while inviting you to analyze it beyond that surface. So without further ado, here’s RM’s verse in “ddaeng.”

BTS - DDAENG Explained by a Korean

August 15, 2018 / by DKDKTV

RM’s part is the apex of this whole song. It’s because in one single verse, he uses 7 different usages of DDAENG.

• Cashier collecting bills, ddaeng.
  • When I was young I liked playing freeze tag, ddaeng.
  • I’m ding-dong, you’re ddaeng.
  • You’re 7 kkeut, I’m ddaeng.
  • Face swollen after eating ramen before sleep, ddaeng.
  • Losers, do your thang. Look at me, I’m your errthang.
  • You’re dope? Cool? You gotta be fuxxin kidding..

:cutekitty:

#MAP_OF_THE_SOUL_PERSONA and RM’s real name Namjoon have been trending in the top spots worldwide on Twitter since shortly after the trailer’s release! — Soompi

rm.png

REVIEW (2019)

Intro – Comeback Trailer: Persona

While talking about the idea of “Persona” and “Shadow”, Stein (the author from “Jung’s Map of the Soul: An Introduction”) explained how we spend most our lives making sure that we play our “social roles” well. But there are individuals who through self-introspection comes across the demarcation that has been both deliberately as well as unconsciously created between who they are and how they present themselves to be in the society or public sphere. By asking the question “Who am I”, such individuals embark on the journey of searching their real self and this initiation also becomes a starting point of their transformation into socially conscious beings who in turn, help other people understand the struggle between different selves and how the “wholeness” of identity can be eventually achieved.

“Who am I?”

RM’s intro in the comeback trailer begins with this question. The track portrays the artist’s transition from society’s understanding and the projection of its thought on him to the artist’s understanding and acceptance of his self. Using the metaphor of “pigs and dogs”, RM traces back to Am I Wrong, where BTS talked about the images people try to create – the jingoism of dogs and pigs who don’t understand the value of resources provided to them. In this track, RM talks about his confusion. Once seen as a “crow-tit”, the phrase that follows the metaphor in “Am I Wrong” too, RM confesses that he can never understand how people view him – sometimes calling BTS a “crow-tit” and at other times, putting a “pearl necklace” on them.

Highlighting the socioeconomic inequality which also gives us the glimpse into the effect fame can have on “people” or the “receiver” of social persona, RM sums up the transition in the reaction of people and the projection of their thoughts on BTS as the group continues to rise in the global music industry.

Amidst his struggle to find his real identity and the society’s constant pressure on the artist to act in a certain way, the music video brilliantly shows the transition between different selves of RM. As he sits in a classroom (2Cool4Skool), RM keeps on changing his identity with clothes but the turning point lies in the adornment of his “rapper” self. It is through this self that RM begins to talk about “Shadow”, an element that will bring together his different identities/personas. Using “hesitation” interchangeably with “shadow”, RM is talking about the anxiety that he has to constantly encounter whenever he adorns his stage persona. The reference to anxiety has been made in one of his earlier interviews where he talked about the relation between the height of his fame and his anxiety that brings him back to the question as to why he started his journey.

Stein in the podcast explained how tracing back the history help people achieve individuation which in turn helps them reach the core of their being. Using the letter “R” and the infamous phrase “But Namjoon”, RM is providing an answer to the question he asked in the video. The rapper self belongs to his pre-debut identity as Runch Randa, an underground rapper who made use of his medium to talk about the happenings in his society.

By tracing his journey to this starting point, RM is helping people see the different ways in which his art and artistic self has been perceived by the audience – unworthy of being a messenger, of being a muse, and of being an artist altogether.

Unlike the popular belief that RM is addressing the infamous phrase “But Namjoon” and calling out the haters, the rapper is instead using the phrase for telling why he started making music. By identifying with his shadow, the rapper has been able to hear his inner calling and embrace whatever he has learned through his journey. Moving on, he will be using this knowledge to impart the message of acceptance to his fans.

The intro is the perfect starting point of the transition that BTS is making in the later tracks.

Read the whole review here (written by Ayushi)

Edited by bohmi

[REVIEW] - Intro : Persona

“Intro: Persona” is a solid showcase for the group’s leader, RM. His flow eases back and forth between Korean and English. “Who the hell am I?” he asks, but his delivery says it’s more of a rhetorical question. — Kim Jae Ha, Variety

“Intro : Persona”, “HOME”, and “Dionysus” were chosen as the essential tracks of “Map of the Soul : Persona” by Consequence of Sound.

giphy.gif

March 28, 2019

After months of anticipation, South Korean superstars BTS — who obviously have no regard for anyone's productivity or blood pressure — finally gave fans a taste of what’s to come in their forthcoming album, Map of the Soul: Persona. The teaser reveals the album's first track, "Persona" — a colorful, dynamic song delivered by none other than RM, the band’s leader and main rapper.

This opening track samples BTS' 2014 song "Intro: Skool Luv Affair" and features the same animated intro in the visual, nodding to the band's coming-of-age and self-discovery themes that run through much of the initial work they produced following their 2013 debut. But while "Persona" certainly flexes BTS' growth and maturity since then — Rap Monster is now RM, and the band has certainly graduated since 2 Cool 4 Skool — it also makes a point to acknowledge that even in adulthood, many of our same struggles with self-perception and identity persist.

"The 'me' that I want myself to be/ The 'me' that people want me to be/ The 'me' that you love/ And the 'me' that I create/ The 'me' that's smiling/ The 'me' that's sometimes in tears/[...] Persona,” raps RM in the final verse.

The song — and likely, the album as a whole — is inspired by Carl Jung's theories of psychology, in which "persona" is an archetype of the human mind that deals with public image, or who we present ourselves to the world.

Source: Refinery29 (written by Natalie Morin)

giphy.gif

April 24, 2019

RM talked about “Intro : Persona” on his VLive.

bts-rm-1.jpg

“It was my first solo intro in five years, so I really felt so much pressure. I changed the lyrics a few times. ‘mono.’ had a chill and calm feeling, so I really wanted the more wild style that I’ve always liked. When we were filming the music video, I kept fixing it on set.”

RM revealed that he’d recorded the song five times, and that he ended up using his first recording. “If I perform it live one day, I want to do it in a really cool way,” he said. “After it came out, Tablo and Gaeko sent me messages on KakaoTalk to say that they were inspired by it and it was cool. I was really grateful, and I thought that it must have turned out well.”

Source: Soompi

March 2020

Kim Tae Ri mentioned she’s a BTS fan in PIN Prestige March 2020 issue.

t9daHcf.jpg

The first BTS song she heard was Intro : Persona’s RM.

“This song is like a tongue twister. When I first heard it, I felt that it has a powerful tune, the lyrics were well written, I resonated with every line. I really liked it. After repeating it for a month, I tried to listen to the entire album. Afterwards, I wanted to watch their MV, their performances, and then I became a fan.”

© taeri_yeosin.  Source (1) (2)

“Intro : Persona” and “Spring Day” in Kim Tae Ri’s playlist by PIN Prestige.

z7QjCZL.jpg

Source (1) (2)

January 14, 2021

#GeniusCharts | “Tokyo” expressed the hollowness of both missing something, from home to a person, and wanting to be comforted. The opening track from RM’s 2018, mono., re-peaks at #4 on K-Hip-Hop chart in Genius Korea.

There is also “Change” from RM & Wale’s 2017, at #3.

ErppyNzU0AIObe3?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

So cute  :fullofhearts:

ErdwIiHVcAEDhGf?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Source: @dotgabi_rm

January 8, 2021

Jennifer Lopez and Kim Namjoon Agree: This '00s Trend Is Back

Two fashion icons J.Lo and BTS' Kim Namjoon agree: bucket hats are back.

[ ... ]  Of course, Lopez isn't the only celebrity who is a fan of Dior's bucket hat offerings. Back in September, BTS band member and rapper Kim Namjoon (RM) wore a similar style during an interview with GQ. While his version was technically part of Dior's Jordan Brand collaboration, Air Dior, and was both solid and blue, there's no denying that our favorite fashion icons are really feeling this throwback style.  [ ... ]

hbA8aBz.jpg

Spoiler

FKYzRoU.jpg

Source: InStyle / @InStyle

Run BTS! EP. 124 (behind the scenes)

I7mblOL.jpg

Zz1DYMb.jpg

more photos here

RM and Jung Kook (Run BTS! EP. 124)

This fanart is so cute :smooches3:  Source: @kookiechimm

The Original Content (Video) via  @9497kive

RM: “We can’t play that because of Jung Kook.”
JK: “Why?”
RM: “Nothing.” :lol:
JK: “Why because of me?” :o
RM: “Because you’re too good.” :)

A memorable day  :mrgreen: :lol:

Spoiler

RM (BTS) & Jackson (GOT7)

RM and Jackson are good friends. They’ve been friends since trainee days. Here are some stories about them.

1. 2015 — Jackson appeared as a guest on “Problematic Men” because RM invited him

2. GOT7’s comeback with “Mad” in September 2015. RM tweeted support for Jackson.

3. 2016 — BTS’s Rap Monster Wants to Have a Celebrity Bromance With GOT7’s Jackson

Rap Monster and J-Hope hold a “talk-umentary” (talking documentary) of sorts while watching “Celebrity Bromance” featuring their fellow member V. The pair display their variety skills as they provide hilarious commentary.

During this time, Rap Monster reveals his desire to be on “Celebrity Bromance” and recommends GOT7′s Jackson as his partner. (Soompi)

4. 2017 — Jackson posted a video of him and RM from Golden Disc Awards’s backstage on his Instagram

Spoiler

lxggSQX.jpg

5. 2017 — GOT7’s Jackson Reunites With BTS’s RM At American Music Awards

gCav8Nk.jpg

On November 20 KST, the GOT7 member updated fans from the American Music Awards. In the video, Jackson is seen with Post Malone, Desiigner, and his close friend RM. In addition, he posted a photo with RM and also of a meal he ate at In-N-Out in Los Angeles. (Soompi)

6. 2019 — GOT7’s Jackson Shares How Surprised He Was By BTS’s RM On His Birthday

GOT7’s Jackson was touched by a birthday message from his friend RM of BTS!

On March 29, Jackson talked to fans on a V Live broadcast after he celebrated his birthday the day before.

During the broadcast, he expressed how surprised he was when RM messaged him at 12:01 on his birthday, and he said he’d replied to RM to say, “You remembered?!” Jackson added that he then thanked RM and wished him all the best. (Soompi)

October 1, 2019

Watch: Jackson Opens Up About GOT7, BTS’s RM, K-Pop Stereotypes, And More

GOT7’s Jackson recently sat down for an interview with the Zach Sang Show and talked about a variety of topics including his career, passion for music, GOT7, his friendship with RM, and more.

[ ... ]

Jackson was then asked about BTS’s RM, and he shared on how they became friends, “[RM] and I go all the way back to when we were trainees. I was a trainee at JYP, and he was a trainee from Big Hit. We met through a friend, and he is the same age as me.”

About how different their personalities are, Jackson said, “I goof off often, and I joke around. I’m more aggressive. RM is pretty calm, and he is very smart. He doesn’t talk too much, but whatever he says, it just feels right. He’s like the conclusion to me.” He explained that he rants to RM when he runs into problems, and RM will sum up everything and give a good conclusion, saying, “You should do this, this, and this.” Jackson added, “I don’t call him RM. I call him Namjoon.”

Regarding BTS’s success, Jackson remarked, “They are really hard-working, and RM is really, really hard-working, and he has a lot of pressure because he is the leader of the group. Because of his personality, I feel like everything that he does or BTS does just feels right. They’re very talented, and they think ahead.”

Source: Soompi

November 2017

Jackson talked about RM on Youku live streaming

9b4ad9ce60974cf0a417ed49a790e229.jpeg?s=

“I knew Rapmon since my trainee days. He’s someone with a sense of responsibility. He will insist on doing his own music regardless of what others think. He won’t feel sorry to others, as long as he works hard on his own music. He’s very loyal.”

“BTS is a very popular group worldwide, acknowledged by everyone. But they’ve worked so hard. I don’t have a right to judge them, but from pre-debut to now, Rapmon hasn’t changed. He’s a friend I respect very much.”

— Jackson

Source: @leaderjb_

January 16, 2021

On 1/14/2021 at 1:06 PM, bohmi said:

January 14, 2021

#GeniusCharts | “Tokyo” expressed the hollowness of both missing something, from home to a person, and wanting to be comforted. The opening track from RM’s 2018, mono., re-peaks at #4 on K-Hip-Hop chart in Genius Korea.

There is also “Change” from RM & Wale’s 2017, at #3.

#GeniusCharts | “Tokyo” by RM of BTS jumps from #4 to #1 on today’s K-Hip-Hop chart in Genius Korea with a massive boost in pageviews, beating out newer releases. Read more about the inspiration behind the song on Genius now!

genius.com/Rm-tokyo-lyrics

Erz70ziVEAEmm-Q?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

January 17, 2021

BTS' RM is this year's Biggest Crush at the 2020 TDY Awards

RM of BTS has won Biggest Crush at the 2020 TDY Awards!

The announcement took place on January 16 local time.

J9Jaww0.jpg

Spoiler

Source (1) (2) (3)

William is so loyal to RM-hyung :byebye2:   Jung kook has rival :coolshades:

William mentioned RM again on the January 17 broadcast of KBS2 TV’s “The Return of Superman.”

William: “Dad, are people who don’t lie good/cool?”
Sam: “They are the best/coolest people.”
William: “RM-hyung doesn’t lie too, right?”
Sam: “Of course he doesn’t.”

Source (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

RM Weverse Update (210118)

For the first time in a while, tomorrow night I’ll visit <you all> in VLive ~!!

8h9GFag.jpg

It’s tonight   :partyblob:

RM shared a new song of Epik High on Weverse. A few minutes later, Tablo retweeted it from fan account.

cmetb5o.jpg

RM’s Dreamterview.

Watch the video below for full RM’s Dreamterview. Other links (1) (2)

Spoiler

Q: ON?
RM: Title!

Q: Part-time job you want to try?
RM: Wedding hall

Q: BTS?
RM: The best

Q: Favorite color?
RM: Blue

Q: What have you binge-watched lately?
RM: Ghibli

Q: Anything you cannot do?
RM: There are so many, I can’t say just one

Q: ARMY?
RM: Love!

Q: Challenge?
RM: The Great Challenge!! I enjoyed the show when I was little

Q: Favorite food?
RM: Jjajangmyeon

Q: Country you want to visit?
RM: The Netherlands

Q: What are you scared of?
RM: Spiders

Q: Book?
RM: Book! :D

Q: Skincare routine
RM: It’s just my DNA, sorry B)

Q: Cultural activity
RM: Exhibitions, although we can’t go these days

Q: Favorite item?
RM: Phone :lol:

Q: IQ?
RM: Should we test it again? :D

Q: Height?
RM: 181 cm

Q: Driver’s license?
RM: Bike

Q: Mint chocolate?
RM: I hate it

Q: Jjajangmyeon?
RM: I love it

Q: God of Destruction?
RM: That’s not me ;)

Q: Math? English?
RM: Math wins all the time, so English

Tablo quoted a tweet from fan who said that he/she agreed with RM about the track “Leica.”

Spoiler
On 1/19/2021 at 6:18 PM, bohmi said:

RM shared a new song of Epik High on Weverse. A few minutes later, Tablo retweeted it from fan account.

Tablo also added comments on the quotes,

“The fact that out of all the songs on our new album RM chose the track where I singlehandedly made the beat, the melodies, the piano riff, and wrote the lyrics is proof that HE KNOWS WHAT’S UP.”

The Art Newspaper and Art Review tweeted about RM, who has been named “art sponsor of the year” in Korea (last month).

Edit :

Top five this week | The musician RM was recognised for donating $90,400 to the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Seoul last September

Spoiler

Edited by bohmi