1. 1. The best thing about sageuks is (pick 3):

• Cross-dressing
    • OEDs (Old Evil Dudes)
    • Political struggles
    • Kung Fu action scenes and swords
    • Beautiful costumes and accessories
    • Mane of Glory (the long hair on oppa)
    • King and childhood friend
    • Love triangles (wealthier man vs poorer man)
    • Background music
    • Oppa, of course!
    • Mistaken identities
    • Lots of characters (princes, eunuchs, concubines, ministers....)
  2. 2. The most evil OED (Old Evil Dude) in a sageuk?

• Lady Mishil - The Great Queen Seon Deok (ok, it's a woman but we can all agree that she's an OED)
    • Lee Suyang - The Princess' Man
    • Lee In Jwa - Jackpot
    • Min Am - Queen In Hyun's Man
    • El Temür - Empress Ki
    • Park Wong Jong - Queen For Seven Days
    • Gakkan - Hwarang
    • Taejong - Deep Rooted Tree
    • OED - Chuno
  3. 3. The hottest sageuk abs? (pick 2)

• Scarlet Heart Ryeo
    • Flower Knight Hwarang
    • My Country: The New Age
    • Grand Prince
    • Tale of Nokdu
    • Chuno
    • Empress Ki
    • Scholar Who Walks The Night
    • Goddess of Fire
    • Moonlight Drawn By The Clouds
    • Arthdral Chronicles
    • Crowned Clown

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/2020 at 07:05 PM

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoops, I'm late to this post! I didn't get to vote but I'll offer my random thoughts anyway.

I've always loved historical movies/shows, so when I started watching k-dramas, that love naturally translated over. Not only does history interest me, but I like fiction for the escapism, not to watch normal everyday life, and another time period is obviously very different from our current world. I strongly prefer sageuks over modern dramas, which seems to be the minority opinion! It's hard to care about chaebols and bakeries and high schools like it's life or death when I could watch intrigue, mystery, backstabbing, and scheming that actually IS life or death! Chaebols vying to be CEO? Yawn. It's a company, it's not that serious. Princes battling for the throne? Say no more, I'm in! 

I'll admit I'm also SO weak for long hair and historical clothing on a man. Always have been, and now I don't think I can go back to gentlemen in somber Victorian frock coats when you could have a man in something like THIS: 

Rr4BMHC.png

I spend a decent chunk of every Joseon-era sageuk hoping and praying we'll get to see the ML with that sleek topknot down. You can imagine my joy and horror all in the course of 0.5 seconds when my ultimate fave, Lee Joon Gi, had his topknot fall during a battle in Scholar Who Walks the Night, only for his long wig to look like something from The Grudge... 

dgGZBDa.png

Props to the Silla/Three Kingdoms/Goryeo dramas and their long-haired men for blessing me with the content I need. Hwarang was a feast for my eyes. Though the best male hair I ever saw was in Tale of Nokdu, even though it was Joseon, probably because a lot of it was his natural hair! Look at this. LOOK. Long hair, no shirt, great body? If I hadn't seen this drama already you could've sold me on watching it with this screenshot alone:

1I8CDpv.png

As far as Evil Old Dudes... I hated the king in Rookie Historian Goo Hae-ryung. So heartless. Also, not a dude, but a lady... the dowager queen from Moon Lovers Scarlet Heart Ryeo. Evil. EVIL. Even her face still makes me mad:

xiZaZuE.jpg

Also, yes, I'm one of the legions who adores Wang So. I still remember when he first showed up on screen and killed his horse, I thought "who is this guy, what did he do that for, what an edgelord,"but over the course of the drama I fell utterly head over heels for him. The scene in the rain is, hands down, my favorite scene of any drama ever. The music, the symbolism of the moment, his facial expressions... it still gets me!   

Bc4HS6V.jpg

On 9/4/2020 at 12:04 PM, partyon said:

Poll time: All the things I love about sageuks!

Hey all sageuk fans!

As you know, a sageuk re-watch event is ongoing (Faith, Empress Ki, Moon Embracing The Sun). We thought it would be fun to put together a poll about sageuks.

We have three easy questions:

1. What do you love the most about sageuks?

Is it the (cheesy) background music? Lovely costumes? Kung Fu action scenes? Oppa with long hair?

Mane of glory of course!

3. Who has the best sageuk abs?

We know that sageuks lack abs and shower scenes.... :cry: But I've compiled a list of the ones I found. Again if someone's abs are missing from the list, please let me know and I will add the abs to the question.

Where is Daejang's abs?!

Archived