1. 1. The best thing about sageuks is (pick 3):

• Cross-dressing
    • OEDs (Old Evil Dudes)
    • Political struggles
    • Kung Fu action scenes and swords
    • Beautiful costumes and accessories
    • Mane of Glory (the long hair on oppa)
    • King and childhood friend
    • Love triangles (wealthier man vs poorer man)
    • Background music
    • Oppa, of course!
    • Mistaken identities
    • Lots of characters (princes, eunuchs, concubines, ministers....)
  2. 2. The most evil OED (Old Evil Dude) in a sageuk?

• Lady Mishil - The Great Queen Seon Deok (ok, it's a woman but we can all agree that she's an OED)
    • Lee Suyang - The Princess' Man
    • Lee In Jwa - Jackpot
    • Min Am - Queen In Hyun's Man
    • El Temür - Empress Ki
    • Park Wong Jong - Queen For Seven Days
    • Gakkan - Hwarang
    • Taejong - Deep Rooted Tree
    • OED - Chuno
  3. 3. The hottest sageuk abs? (pick 2)

• Scarlet Heart Ryeo
    • Flower Knight Hwarang
    • My Country: The New Age
    • Grand Prince
    • Tale of Nokdu
    • Chuno
    • Empress Ki
    • Scholar Who Walks The Night
    • Goddess of Fire
    • Moonlight Drawn By The Clouds
    • Arthdral Chronicles
    • Crowned Clown

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/2020 at 07:05 PM

Poll time: All the things I love about sageuks!

Hey all sageuk fans!

As you know, a sageuk re-watch event is ongoing (Faith, Empress Ki, Moon Embracing The Sun). We thought it would be fun to put together a poll about sageuks.

We have three easy questions:

1. What do you love the most about sageuks?

Is it the (cheesy) background music? Lovely costumes? Kung Fu action scenes? Oppa with long hair?

kwak-do-yeon-lee-joon-gi.jpg?s=900x600&e

2. Who is the most evil OED (Old Evil Dude) in a sageuk?

This one I need your help with, because I have a very limited knowledge about OEDs in sageuks (basically the only sageuk I've watched is Empress Ki, and I'm still on ep 8 :D ). If you let me know who to include in the question, I will edit the poll. :kiss_wink:

maxresdefault.jpg

El Temür ! He's a real evil OED!

3. Who has the best sageuk abs?

We know that sageuks lack abs and shower scenes.... :cry: But I've compiled a list of the ones I found. Again if someone's abs are missing from the list, please let me know and I will add the abs to the question.

Scarlet Heart Ryeo

ST_20160914_WWTV14_2592465.jpg

Flower Knight Hwarang

Spoiler

6bd04d0f1124ebe3e398ac555676b067.jpg

My Country: The New Age

Spoiler

2ad3358bdfe32b258d41abc38e0f6f5c.gif

Grand Prince

Spoiler

yoon-si-yoon-ep2-grand-prince-shirtless.

Tale of Nokdu

Spoiler

fc9ff407a23485b403447a39a843557e.jpg

Chuno

Spoiler

2c53143d31a98f84a31eeb0d6471bed3.png

Empress Ki

Spoiler

photo370152.jpg

Scholar Who Walks the Night

Spoiler

original.gif

Goddess of Fire

Spoiler

5.jpg?w=289&h=415

Moonlight Drawn By The Clouds

Spoiler

dTAKd6J.gif

Arthdral Chronicles

Spoiler

aa3bb87fbf722a62f7cd9e947343a9b8.jpg

Crowned Clown

Spoiler

Yi-heon-yeo-jingoo-COVER.jpg

Remember that once you have voted, you can't change your answer anymore. The poll is open until Monday! Feel free to discuss in the thread. :kiss_wink:

re: @Lmangla

tagging some chingus: @Jillia @Berou @MinLyn @joccu @Sleepy Owl @H0ney @Nodame @bombshellchick1 @Ameera Ali @nrllee @MayanEcho @cherkell @faithwalker @Fandomized Q @chickfactor @kehrite @Min2206 @CallieP @Thong Thin @realistic2280a @syntyche @msdot @violetts @Aleumdaun @kdyes @mademoisellesia @vangsweetie637 @stella77 @YongZura⁷ @lebeaucouple @Fangirl22 @ncly @kiefshi1056 @larus @strongtower @kokodus @kiklaminHo @im0202 @Samuel Yohanes @africandramalover @ktcjdrama @0ly40 @celebrianna @brooksmom @rocher22 @corey  @graceyco @Sarang21 @scrawford @CarolynH @AgentQuake @Maja @MY15 @Amy323 @Heretorant @Nikaa94 @Layali @JoannaID @sharoon0136 @willenette @MVM @ailanthus @TiNaDo

• Like 8
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 5

6 minutes ago, partyon said:

@Sleepy Owl What do you like the most about the sageuk background music?
I've been pretty horrified by the music in Empress Ki... :joy:

Most of the Sageuks had some really nice background musics or OSTs. Empress Ki's one is like very horrible for me. But Chuno had very nice background musics, same was with Dong Yi and some more. Listening to traditional music is always fun.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Ooooh @partyon.. I didn't know that 3-letter word OED stands for Old Evil Dude :D I too have not watched many sagueks but will try my level best to answer.  One thing for sure, their OSTs / background musics are cool esp the ones I hear from Faith.

And thanks for the many2 abs-licious slabs.     Appetizers ...just in time for dinner.  Kamsahamnida :D

@H0ney  I so love you!  on Q3:smooches2:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

@joccu @Berou You voted for Lady Mishil. Why is she the most evil OED ? What does she do in the drama?

lady+mishil+%252813%2529.jpg

@Min2206 Yes, I made up the acronym OED last week when I was talking about Old Evil Dudes on the Empress Ki thread.

You can also enhance it with Ugly to make it into OEUD (Old Evil Ugly Dude) - ugly, because they have ugly hearts....

Why do you think there are so many OEDs in sageuks? :joy:

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 2

@partyon ~ you have to watch queen seon deok to see what an amazing villain mishil was:

she has hilarious and super dialogues -- cuts down her enemies verbally, brainy strategy as well as literally slaying them

unlike other evil dudes, she is constantly underestimated because she is a woman; instead of whining about it, she uses her womanly wiles to get her way as well as slay anyone who dares question her because she is a woman.

she has a cynical but also healthy respect for her enemies and so it is like one entire chess game being played out.

this is the ultimate boss career climbing schemer! :lol:

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

12 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

@Jillia, I'd actually suggest a Chuno re-watch. Firstly it has got a fast-paced story, secondly those abs can be seen like for 10 consecutive episodes :D.

@Sleepy Owl  Because of sleepy owl, i googled Chuno.  :tightdeadline:  Very well received! 

@partyon Let's just stick to OED .. OEUD quite a mouthful ... hahaha!   You need the OEDs to make our bloods boiling, hearts pumping, joints cracking, tongue lashing, romancing, no?   but not all are dudes, right?  

5 minutes ago, partyon said:

@H0ney Did Lee Min Ho take his shirt off in Faith?

To be included in the best abs poll, he would have needed to show his abs. The only pictures I could find of him looked like this:

U need to wear special glasses! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

My favourite part of sageuks has got to be the costumes and accessories! Oh so pretty. And also getting to see and hear the traditional instruments that used to be played.

Handsome princes, bodyguards, and other charismatic characters is just a plus.

I haven't seen some of the older sageuks on the list like Queen Seondeok and Empress Ki (heard of those though), but from those I've watched, my favourites are Chuno, Tree With Deep Roots, and of the more recent ones, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, partyon said:

OMO! Looks like Jang Hyuk in Chuno is leading! :kiss_wink:

You are so right!    BTW @partyon , are you counting the packs - abs or the poll votes?  

I need to wear glasses! :coolshades:  How am I going to chew on my meat when you keep posting those abs.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, corey said:
40 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

@Jillia, I'd actually suggest a Chuno re-watch.

I second that wholeheartedly! I am sure people in Jang Hyuk thread will be thrilled!

thanks for the suggestion; we will add it to our list. if there's enough interest, we will definitely have a season 2 of re-watch party. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

8 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

You are so right!    BTW @partyon , are you counting the packs - abs or the poll votes? 
I need to wear glasses!   How am I going to chew on my meat when you keep posting those abs.  

Yes, isn't it strange that I had time to research sageuk abs, but not OEDs in sageuks....? :joy:

Here are some more :kiss_wink:

e6790c6fe0a77bbac301ba5a27263002.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

1. What do you love the most about sageuks?

For me the main thing is the political struggle. The power struggle between the two factions (Noron and Soron) in Joseon Era dramas was always fun to watch and along with that how the King would handle it. The conspiracies of the ladies of palace, how they would influence the palace politics was always interesting for me. So as @Jillia said, "Deep Rooted Tree" actually had a nice political struggle going on in it.

Apart from that, it was interested to see in palace politics and conspiracies by ladies of palace in Dong Yi. IT included everything from planning to depose the queen and replacing her with another to subduing a military coup. 

After the plot, comes the costumes. In Joseon Era, Moonlight drawn by clouds actually really had some good set of costumes used. But apart from that I really liked the costumes used in "Emperor of the Sea". 

MV5BYmYyNzA4YWUtZWYzNi00YWU0LWFjYjQtZWNj

One thing I actually liked about his one was the fact that we could actually see all characters in different costumes every 4-5 episodes. I remember watching Jumong, and going crazy over the fact that the princes were wearing same type of clothes or clothes with same shade (didn't happen much) throughout the drama. 

I also liked the costumes in My Country: New Age 

My-Country_1.jpg

And so did I for Empress Ki 

91ce1352fef0a1ee3c545e4a5d102231.jpg

The third option is actually actions scenes and music both. But I chose music because bad music really discourages me while exaggerated actions scenes can be tolerated. For action "My Country: the new Age", "Chuno" really had some nice realistic action/fight scenes. Even the movie "Great Battle" did. 

While for music, same I liked My Country: New Age, Chuno, Dong Yi, Jumong, and many more EXCEPT Empress Ki of course. 

2. Who is the most evil OED (Old Evil Dude) in a sageuk?

As for OED, I chose Yi In Jwa from Jackpot, because the ones I consider OED were not there. I didn't watch Princess Man so I can't really tell about that dude. El Temur could also be an option, but still I found really evil.

Two of them would be "Taejong" and "Jung Ki Joon" from "Deep Rooted Trees" 

Spoiler

Tree_With_Deep_Roots-ep03trailer.jpg

Deep_Rooted_Tree-ep13trailer.jpg

Taejong is an interested character. Usually portrayed as anti-hero or Villain in dramas. 

Second on my list come the Antagonists from Chuno. These two guys, especially the old dude was playing 3D chess and you would find your self cursing him a lot. 

Spoiler

chunovillains.jpg

Third on my list would be either Lady Choi from Dae Jang Geum or Madam Jami from Emperor of the Sea

Spoiler

5f0a261c652e0efc25d11431c3b592b1a90685b0

e0254b0903093eb1672bd9592eefc6bc--intern 

3. Who has the best sageuk abs?

As for abs, I better not comment on them. :sipsboba:

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

@Sleepy Owl Thanks for your long post detailing what you love about sageuks. :kiss_wink:

I added a few of your OEDs to the poll. Couldn't include all of them, because some of them were not old.... Thanks for your input!

@corey Love the music! Do you know of any sageuks that have another plot than the king vs. corrupt officials (or vice versa)?

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

But apart from that I really liked the costumes used in "Emperor of the Sea". 

One thing I actually liked about his one was the fact that we could actually see all characters in different costumes every 4-5 episodes. I remember watching Jumong, and going crazy over the fact that the princes were wearing same type of clothes or clothes with same shade (didn't happen much) throughout the drama. 

yea, I remember that drama feeling different because you could actually identify the characters and their clothes changed! hahahha... sometimes I wonder with saeguks why the clothes hardly change -- does the drama department stitch multiple sets of the same design for the actors? the costumes have to be dry cleaned at some point right? :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Just now, Lmangla said:

yea, I remember that drama feeling different because you could actually identify the characters and their clothes changed! hahahha... sometimes I wonder with saeguks why the clothes hardly change -- does the drama department stitch multiple sets of the same design for the actors? the costumes have to be dry cleaned at some point right? :lol:

As for Jumong or other ones which included royals, I think we just say that it was their uniform. I really can't come up with any other reasoning for that. Some dramas actually try to reduce their budget with that. Like I said in Jumong all three princes wore same clothes for like 20-25 episodes, then their clothes' colors remained same but with a different design. You'd literally see the King gifting them Silk, and they would literally wear same in palace and outside palace outfit and I found it annoying.

For Emperor of Sea it is basically drama which involves traders, so we got to see how luxuriously their life style would be. You'd see people in that drama with different hair style, clothes and all of that was amazing.

• Like 3
  • Love 1