[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Maiden Holmes 少女大人

sugarplum892

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello.  Been following this thread but haven't had much time to weigh in.  I speak exactly zero Chinese so I have to depend on the English subs to come out.  It's a very frustrating wait when I know the raws are out there already.

I am so impressed with Zhang Linghe.  I cannot believe that he is a rookie actor and I'm looking forward to many more projects with him.

Since there is very little information in English about him, I searched Baidu and used google translate to get some info on him:

In 2016, Zhang Linghe was admitted to Nanjing Normal University, majoring in electrical engineering at the School of Electrical and Automation Engineering; in addition, he also participated in the Aerospace Club at the university. By chance, Zhang Linghe met an agent, and after in-depth understanding, he found that he was really interested in acting, so he entered the showbiz circle.

Born in Wuxi, China.

There was a Q&A I found that I couldn't cut and paste to google.  Can someone who understands Chinese help with translations?  

Q&A Link

On 9/11/2020 at 7:20 PM, P Lam said:

I am going to guess it was the Prince though he did not recognize the dagger.   Reason being the dagger says Yan and his shifu is the Marquis of Yan. It’s just a guess As I’m at ep 22.

His royal name is xiao yan zi. Hence the word yan on the dagger. Su ci never use that dagger on him. So he never saw it on her. His alias is pei zhao which he uses when he is out investigating. Suci n others always call him bro pei. But his real name is yan zi. 

This is hilarious.  No English subs needed. LOL.

They're being so polite and laughing so quietly, I guess they don't want to get the guy in trouble with the director who doesn't seem to know what's going on LOL.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, SIMNEE TING said:

His royal name is xiao yan zi. Hence the word yan on the dagger. Su ci never use that dagger on him. So he never saw it on her. His alias is pei zhao which he uses when he is out investigating. Suci n others always call him bro pei. But his real name is yan zi. 

Actually, he did see the dagger before in the earlier episodes, but he did not recognize it at the time because he still had vision problems due to the poisoned arrow.  I forget which episode that was.

I must say i really like this drama, maiden holmes. The detective and case solving arc sit really well with me. EVen though the cases are nothing surprising but they are easy to watch. I must say this drama is really easy to watch. 

One element that stood up very well is the ML. First of all, for his actin,  i must say for a 22 yo and a rookie without much acting experience, he is very good. the facial expression  (tender, love, anger, pain are very, very natural and well done), the knowing smile, sword fights and even his frivolousness as a good for nothing playboy prince is well done. Only complaint is he just exudes too much youthfulness (he walks like a teenager at the beginning of the show) especially in the beginning for a role of a war seasoned general who went through lots of pain, killing and blood and death. There should be more layers to the acting to add the complexity. But i think that cant be helped because he is young after all and his first role. his costume gets better towards the middle part onwards, makes him look more mature espcially the darker colour garments.

As for the character, i really really buy into and enjoy a ML that is super intelligent and always ahead and yet not think that he is above everyone else and start making decisions for the FL (like too many dramas when the ML pushed the FL away due to 'protecting her' like he knows better, it gets annoying). He always stay to protect her and let her make her decisions, standing by her and being proud of her intelligence. Also he is cool and calm, not cool and icy/stoney. I love his even temper. he said himself too when he said he is thick skin and good temper. After legend of yunxi and sleepless princess, this type of ML character is totally refreshing. Love that the character never wavers in his love for her and his country and his people and his surbodinates. One note though if i were to compare him with legend of yunxi Prince Qin, i think they can make him a bit more elegant and refined like Prince Qin. As they are royals after all, it is inevitable to be more elegant and careful with rules and status because that is the way you are brought up. this character Prince Qi is a bit too casual even though he fully grew up in the palace. supposedly if you brought up as princes, u would not be so casual like going to people wedding on ur own, walking in and out of your manor (in this case hopping between his prince manor and pei manor) as u like without creating much attention for example. I cannot compare him with sleepless princess Xue yao because one is a general and one is a prince. I think even XY has more servants and bodyguards around him at a one time hahaha....

I love the plot of him forcing her to stay in his house. what a smart guy!!! she did not accept him, never mind, keep her close because close proximity will always help when u trying to get the gal of ur dream hahaha.... that is one intelligent fellow. I love the way he does not waver when she rejects him or when she misunderstood him for the killer of her family. no angst at all, just stand firm and prove his stuffs relentlessly. This Prince Qi is a really good character to watch. very soothing compared to many many ML character in other dramas.

as for the FL i love the fact she is level headed and she doesnt do those screechy and babyish, cutish voice. she sounds calm most of the time and how her voice portrays such character. I love her dancing haha....she cant sew and cook even if her love life depends on it but heay she is so beautiful to watch dancing. nice girly quality. But from ep 24 onwards to the end, i can only wish she call him yan zi instead of brother pei ( that really does not sit well with me). when she call him yan zi in the last episode i felt it was so complete. brother pei is not pei gege (that is chines oppa). pei xiong (pei bro) is like calling ur good friend, heay Bro. i cringe everytime she called him that.  it will be complete if she call him yanzi because that is the real him and even carved on the dagger he gave her. to me it will be like accepting him completely and treating him as her love, not a friend bro. she should after the cave incident. because that is the determining point of her love for him already.

EP 24 onwards the love arc is stable but if they could throw in more 'special lines' between them i think will make it more memorable. they touched and hold hands and hugs and kiss etc which is sweet and chemistry is good but if there are some special lines between them it will make the drama so much memorable. one scene she says i will fight with u....ermmm..that sounds like brotherhood hahaha...the last episode finally has some good lines and conversation on the boat. wish there is more in ep 24 to 31.  Say like sleepless princess ( i still love drama so much)...the ML and FL lines (u are my prison, heart person (xin san ren), signed and sealed and many others) with each other really really goes into ur head and heart to be so much well remembered. Just make the chemistry so much more intense and the drama much more personalised.

For me this show is really good but can be even better and more memorable. but well done to the team and the actors.

• 2 weeks later...

Really happy to see this thread on here and all the positive reactions to this great drama.  Thanks so much to everybody who has contributed:blush:

I am so glad I gave this drama a chance! It was such a pleasant surprise in the best possible way. Absolutely adored the intelligent, developed smart OTP as individuals and in their loving relationship, loved their phenomenal chemistry (and kisses!):fullofhearts:, the warmth and camaraderie between the five friends, the adorable second couple, the humour, the smart plot and interlinked mysteries, the gorgeous scenery and costumes, the supporting characters and the refreshingly, strong female roles. 

I just finished watching the translated episodes this week and can say with certainty that Maiden Holmes and the OTP are among my favourites ever out of all the dramas I've watched.  It's not perfect (particularly some incredibly stupid writing and misunderstanding in episode 22 but, luckily, the misunderstanding is resolved next ep and not dragged out) but it's so enjoyable and refreshing to watch.  I would love a sequel with the same cast even though I know it's unlikely. It's sad it is so underrated :bawling: This is one drama I definitely think deserved to be a bigger hit!  

I was looking on Weibo and the drama was purchased to air in S. Korea. Not sure on what channel or platform or the airing date but happy to see that more people will get to experience this great drama :hwaiting:

Totally agree with you. I loved this drama and sad it has ended. The ML character is my all time favourite who treats the FL as his equal and with respect yet he can be assertive when he needs to. Great chemistry, their kisses and interaction so natural not to mention they look beautiful together. 
No c drama is ever perfect nor is this drama but this drama has managed to avoid the usual arc/tropes that are so annoying and frustrating (e.g. unnecessary love rivals/sacrifices, drawn out angst/misunderstandings, sad/open endings). Well done to the script writers. 
Maiden Holmes is so wholesome and refreshing that it’s the first drama that I have never used the fast forward button lol I thought the pace was perfect and characters endearing (even the foreign princess) that I was never bored. I also enjoyed watching the evil uncle who was rather comical with the rolling of the eyes and talking to the pet parrot so I found myself wanting him to get his comeuppance but also laughing at his antics. 

@Chy2209 Exactly my feelings. It wasn't perfect and certain things could have been better but overall it was a joy to watch and what it got right, it got very right. It sounds hyperbolic but it kind of renewed my faith in C-dramas. I had given up on finding a well-written and well-acted enjoyable romantic C-drama that didn't consist of copy paste stone-faced, aloof, cold male lead + "cute", childish and clumsy female lead who gets dumber as the drama progresses, scheming second female lead and "nice guy" second male lead that doesn't have any chance, unnecessarily drawn out angst, pointless noble idiocy:sleeping: 

Even the relationship between the Prince and his young Emperor brother was sweet and supportive and the Empress Dowager was pleasant and reasonable. In every other palace dramas he would be at odds with his brother (probably fighting over Sui Ci and the throne) and the Empress Dowager would despise him and treat him like something nasty she stepped in every time they met.  As you said even the evil uncle seemed to be written as purposely over the top so we hated him but he was also amusing at times.

It's also the first C-drama in a looong time where I didn't fast forward and didn't feel like the story outstayed its welcome or needed trimming.  Every episode was important and the drama was paced very well. I would have been happy for 10 more episodes. I cared about these characters and I wanted to spend more time with them. I loved the camaraderie between the five friends and how they would bond and brainstorm over food.

Prince Qi is also my favourite male lead. He respects, encourages and supports the female lead. He actually has a personality and can be fun and flirty or commanding and serious,  It also doesn't hurt that he is tall, handsome, a great kisser and devoted:bashful: 

I also appreciated that the drama showed how his time in the army wasn't easy. It left him with mental trauma and physical scars. This sounds a little sadistic but I also liked the rare vulnerability the eye condition gave him:sweat:

Su Ci is my favourite female lead in forever. Loved loved loved that we got a smart, rational, cool female lead who could hold her own in a fight and remains intelligent and central to the plot throughout the drama (aside from that ridiculous written misunderstanding in episode 22). She is passionate about her job but you can also see how she had to suppress and rationalise so much of herself to survive as a male. I liked the cute little detail of her being a Prince Qi fangirl lol! Despite her stern exterior she is kind and warm and I adored how the relationship with Prince Qi brought out the sweeter and more passionate side of her:heart:  And the best part was the mutual respect between them. 

I also wonder if Sebrina Chen Yao has a dance or martial arts background because I thought she did a very convincing job in dance and fight scenes.  I especially found the scene where she danced in memory for her dead tribe was so emotional:cry: It was beautifully filmed and you could feel her loneliness all these years.  I actually thought the direction for this drama was pretty good (aside from the final throne room scene) considering they had a small budget.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:48 PM, SIMNEE TING said:

when she call him yan zi in the last episode i felt it was so complete. brother pei is not pei gege (that is chines oppa). pei xiong (pei bro) is like calling ur good friend, heay Bro. i cringe everytime she called him that.  it will be complete if she call him yanzi because that is the real him and even carved on the dagger he gave her. to me it will be like accepting him completely and treating him as her love, not a friend bro. she should after the cave incident. because that is the determining point of her love for him already.

I agree it was an important watershed moment when she finally called him Yan Zi. I wonder if she didn't want to call him his true name until she could totally be her true self too. No longer hiding her gender, her mission or her lineage. 

On 9/21/2020 at 2:34 AM, AuroraSky said:

In 2016, Zhang Linghe was admitted to Nanjing Normal University, majoring in electrical engineering at the School of Electrical and Automation Engineering; in addition, he also participated in the Aerospace Club at the university. By chance, Zhang Linghe met an agent, and after in-depth understanding, he found that he was really interested in acting, so he entered the showbiz circle.

Wow! That is a huge change in career direction.  He must be very intelligent and have had to study very hard to be completing that degree. I think he did very well in his first role and he is so young. He has the filming dates on his weibo as19 May 2019 - 16 August 2019 so he was only 21 when they were filming.

@raziela seriously it’s like you’ve gotten into my head and heart and articulated my every thought and feelings about Maiden Holmes lol Su Ci is one of my favourite FL along with JinXia from Under the Power. Both are strong, independent, smart females although Su Ci’s character has more depth and maturity. UTP was my favourite c drama until MH and that’s partly because I wasn’t a fan of the second couple in UTP so fast forward their scenes along with the unnecessary noble sacrifice near the end. Plus MH has much more skinship lol 

I’m watching Oh! My Sweer Liar and it’s back to the usual annoying tropes and frustration (in bucket loads)... ***sigh*** I think MH has ruined me for other dramas... at least for now. 

12 hours ago, pad-hari said:

More BTS compilation of our cute OTP.  Love them so much.:kiss_wink::wub:

Thank you so much! They really have great chemistry BTS too^_^ I think ZLY was really fortunate to meet CY for his first role as she helped make him comfortable and they have undeniable chemistry:wub:

On 9/11/2020 at 8:58 AM, realistic2280a said:

Now that everyone knows its a happy ending... questions,  did they get married?? And did they do *it* ?:w00t:

On 9/11/2020 at 9:18 AM, Chy2209 said:

Lol there was no wedding scene and no scene implying they did the deed. 

I have lost the weibo link but the director did an interview last month and he said (according to Google Translate) there was no wedding scene because they didn't have enough budget to film a wedding:bawling::bawling::bawling:

Hello!

I want to say this drama brought me a lot of joy. It's like a hidden gem. I felt so sad we did not get a wedding scene. However, I am happy for our two couples. The main leads did a great job for their first project and the chemistry was amazing. I also like how the side characters shine in their own way. Did anyone find the drama OST on spotify? I want to add the songs but is unable to find it. T-T

On 10/6/2020 at 5:31 PM, realistic2280a said:

Thanks for the update, yes, its expected that they didnt have that scene because of budget :lol:

Yeah, it is clear they were quite restricted due to their small budget although I think they managed to work very well with the limited resources they had. I think this drama could have been a pretty big hit if the production had had a bit more of a budget to expand on some aspects of the characters and the story. Also if they could afford some promo...actually any promo because there was zero promotion for the drama. 

On 10/6/2020 at 10:07 PM, Super_Dede said:

Hello!

I want to say this drama brought me a lot of joy. It's like a hidden gem. I felt so sad we did not get a wedding scene. However, I am happy for our two couples. The main leads did a great job for their first project and the chemistry was amazing. I also like how the side characters shine in their own way. Did anyone find the drama OST on spotify? I want to add the songs but is unable to find it. T-T

Hello :waves:l am glad you enjoyed the drama so much! It definitely is a hidden gem. Everyone wanted a wedding scene but we were denied :tears: I saw some C-fans joking that maybe fans can crowd fund a wedding for our OTP:lol:

I agree about the supporting cast. The all did a great job especially clever and cute Rushaung, dim but loveable Xie Bei Ming and devoted Fei Yuan were so well-acted. Together with PX and SC, they really were like a little unconventional family. 

This is the weibo account that interviewed the director:

https://weibo.com/2152454225/JmIK0mQH8?from=page_1006062152454225_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment

Interview with director (He would also like a sequel!)

https://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404554152041906264

Archived