[Drama 2021-2022] Snowdrop, 설강화

gm4queen

32 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

Why oh why did they make him a spy? This mess was avoidable!

Yup, seems that there is a lot of controversy about this drama currently. :grimace: Apparently there is a Blue House petition to cancel the drama....

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

27 minutes ago, partyon said:

Apparently there is a Blue House petition to cancel the drama....

There was already one before it even aired.  JTBC responded and promised not to distort history.  Blue House agreed to let the drama speak for itself and then judge it based on its merits rather than hearsay.  

The numbers on that new petition since it’s airing is growing.  Currently sitting at over 230K.  

This writer (Sky Castle) tends to throw a lot at the viewer in the first ep.  I remember reeling from all the different characters revealed in Ep1 of Sky Castle.  Here it was the same feeling.  Lots of characters.   The plotline isn’t particularly mind blowing either.  Nostalgia is rife.  The writer apparently lived in the dorms then as a student so she’s writing it from firsthand experience.  A lot of it feels like a trip down memory lane (from her perspective).  Except with the spy plot.  I will give it another few eps (if it gets that far) to see if I am sold on it or not.

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

1 minute ago, nrllee said:

There was already one before it even aired.  JTBC responded and promised not to distort history.  Blue House agreed to let the drama speak for itself and then judge it based on its merits rather than hearsay.  

Yes, remember reading about it.

1 minute ago, nrllee said:

The numbers on that new petition since it’s airing is growing.  Currently sitting at over 230K.  

Wow.... One drama was already canceled this year due to similar circumstances - let's see if this one can avoid that.

Haven't watched yet the first episode. Just watched some clips from it, as I wanted to wait until the first verdict was out with regard to viewer sentiments.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

11 minutes ago, partyon said:

Wow.... One drama was already canceled this year due to similar circumstances - let's see if this one can avoid that.

Well JTBC deactivated the live talk function on Naver for SnowDrop and that says a lot.  They are really pulling out all stops to get this to take off.  BlackPink fans are trying their best to smother all negativity with positive posts on social media.  I am not sold on the romance yet.  JiSoo’s voice register is low so she needs to take care to enunciate well else she sounds like she’s swallowing her words.  

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Gwangju uprising is an incredibly sad, sentive even in South Korean democratic movement. Student leaders were accused of being North Korean spy to torture them to death. This was the propaganda used to curb the movement back then. The male leas being a spy feeds into that propaganda and that is why emotions are running high. People lost loved ones brutally to these events....I still don't understand why they couldn't change things after the first wave of backlash. It just feels like a lot of this was avoidable. International fans can scream all they want but if somebody disrespected my ir their country or its history especially the sensitive ones, I and they would react the same way. I just hope they have good reason to be so stubborn about this thing.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

Hi there! It's great to see everyone here; I'm quite interested in Inna unnie role in Snowdrop, to begin with... Does Inna (Chung Ya) really have no relationship with Young Ro (Jisoo) or Soo Ho (Hae In) in the drama? I think... I'm the only one who's curious. Alternatively, it's possible that JTBC didn't include the connection between them because she has a mysterious character. However, all of them are mysterious, with the exception of a few characters, particularly Young Ro. I really want them to have a connection because they're my favorites LOL. I know you can't predict that she have a relationship with them, but I'd like your opinion on you guys because I'm very curious about her character, and I get the point that Chung-Ya is just doing it for some reason. Maybe the truth is she has plan to Tae-il and she's on the other side? However, she may not have a team, or she may be doing it for a VERY BIG REASON. Also, rumors are circulating that Young Ro's father is Tae-il or Chang Soo. What do you think?

• Like 4

Wow!!! The ratings rose even though there is a controversy to stop this from airing.  My understanding is the 200k signatures for the blue house petition to cancel this drama must be from the generation who witnessed the bloodshed.  The young generation must be ready to witness what happened through this drama.  I really hope they don't stop this and continue to air this as the pd and the channel ensured that there is nothing connected with that event.  Let's see what happens!!! Fighting!!! 

• Like 3

A lil concerned this drama might be cancelled. Due to heavy backlash on history distortion.

It doesn't help that it stars Jisoo who's from a popular KPop girlgroup from YGE that has its share of many scandals lately. Basically this drama is riddled with as much hype as it does with controversy.

I really hope not 'cause I enjoy watchin' this.

Ms.Pi the school principal look like she stepped out of the 1800s LoL. Their hostel do give off of a vibe of an English elite type of dorm. I can't with Bun Ok who's just so darn extra LoL.

I do like the elderly male janitor. Though you'd think with such a large dorm that they'd have more staff Idk LoL? 

It was funny seeing both Soo Ho & Young Ro getting jealous of each other's siblings. Poor Soo Ho he probably got more than an eyeful when the girls tried to hide him at the sauna ha-ha!

The Black Tiger guy I can't believe is the same actor who played Song Hye Kyo's ex in "Encounter". I also recognize 2 other actresses from "Sky Castle" as well as 2 actresses of YGE.

• Like 5

It’ll be unfortunate if this show gets cancelled. I think there is a lot more in the story underneath than what is being perceived. For a start, some of the characters are intriguing. The production work has good quality and so does the cast. There is a little suspension of disbelief in some parts— but it’s not that huge of a deal for me to really mind them much. Also I like the leads and I think the performance they give are suited for the characters they are playing. There are big names in the supporting cast too. Tbh, I don’t think any of the cast have not thought of the repurcussions before they signed up for the project. As I don’t think any of them would jeopardize their career if they thought so. And I doubt any of them would wish to cause any harm on those who went through this horrible ordeal during this time period. The optimist in me would like to think that there is a bigger story that the cast and production team would like to tell.

• Like 4

I find it fascinating that there is even a thought this would be canceled. There are differences between this and Joseon Exorcist. JE writer stupidly/lazily made a zombie drama with real historical characters instead of simply making up new characters like Kingdom did. While Snowdrop is set during a real incident, I believe all the characters are fictitious. 2) I believe the show is already fully completed and since this Disney+ first Korean drama, I would think they would stick with it. 3) Not being from South Korea, would they cancel a show over Petition of 230K which is less than half a percent of the population? People who find things “controversial” will always be more vocal than the otherside. It doesn’t mean it is large segment. If you are offended, don’t watch. If you don’t like it, don’t watch. ‘Cancelling” things to me starts leading us down a slippery slope towards banning books and suppressing free thought and different ideas. All that would be left is propaganda.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the 2 episodes.  Youngro is cute and clumsy  and ahemmm how many girls in the dorm eye candy Soohoo who sadly is a spy fm North.  Principal Pi is scary and sexy Dr Kang as a mistress.

Petition reached 250k, and 460+ complaints submitted to KCC (Korea Communications Commission) and one of 3 largest sponsorship announced cancellation of sponsorship to hv their name remove fm ep.3.  Read that Disney+ are into talk and writer Yoo husband is a prosecutor which adds to the controversy.  Let’s wait for decision fm Blue House & JTBC.    

Snowdrop ratings fm 2.985% to 3.845% up by 0.86% was good isn’t it?

Meanwhile   JTBC still uploaded a 2nd BTS  and Warner Music Korea posted the 1st OST “If You’re With Me” ~ Sung Sikyung

Tweet says Youngro father is him

Spoiler

5109-F61-C-458-A-4-D61-817-A-4-F4-EEC1-C

• Like 4
  • Love 1

omo, omo, just now finished ep.2.  Then is he really a NK spy???? woow!!!! i am getting a bad feeling about it.   But how come his korean slang is perfect unlike the NK'eans.   The FL is so innocent and he is hiding so many info about him to her after getting so many details about her.  Next week episode looks even more intense.  Cannot wait.  But lets hope if this drama is not getting cancelled.  

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

While the blue house petition is a sign of the Korean public displeasure, it will ultimately not cause cancellation.  No politician would want to get involved and the Blue House did not cancel Joseon Exorcist.   However, what would cause cancellation is the departure of sponsors.  Being abandoned by the sponsors let to JE being cancelled.  The two days have seen a number leave Snowdrop.  The question becomes will it reach the tipping point where JTBC will need to replace the drama?  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I say let this drama keep going. The younger people aren't aware of all that happened, so if this teaches them in some way, let it go. Don't the older people want the younger generation to know certain things so history never repeats itself??

• Like 1

Man, I have a feeling this drama will get cancelled with the petition that is out and the controversy going on with it. Same thing happened with Joseon Exorcist too. I feel bad for all the actors and actresses that have to go through this

• Like 3

Sigh I wished they (production crew) listened to the complaints when the first petition came out.  When they were given the chance to do so before airing.  It doesn’t look like they changed anything at all.  I think they did change JiSoo’s character’s name from YoungCho (this was the name of a prominent pro-democracy student) to YoungRo.  But I get the feeling they only altered it slightly so that they didn’t have to reshoot anything (the change is not big enough to have to change your mouth shape to say it).  Sponsors are pulling out. And you can’t recoup costs if sponsors leave.  Last I looked the signatories in the current Blue House petition hit 300K.  It’s not looking good. 

The younger people aren't aware of all that happened, so if this teaches them in some way, let it go. Don't the older people want the younger generation to know certain things so history never repeats itself??

@itsmeash they want the correct version of history portrayed.  Not a fictional romanticized version fed to viewers.  To trivialize it for the sake of art would be disrespectful otherwise to the survivors.  

• Like 2