Network: JTBC

Episodes: 16

Genre: Thriller, Psychological Drama

Airdate: February 19th, 2021 -

Airtime: Fri & Sat

Writer: Kim Soo Jin

Director: Shim Na Yeon

Story:

"Freak" will tell the story of two fearless men who are willing to go through extreme lengths in their pursuit of a returning serial killer. In the course of uncovering the murderer’s identity, the two are forced to look deeper than what the evidence seems to suggest and constantly question the innocence of all the people involved in the case, including themselves. Shin Ha Kyun transforms into Lee Dong Sik, a once was capable detective who has been demoted to doing all the menial and tedious work at Manyang Police Substation. Dong Sik was beginning to lead a peaceful life when Detective Han Joo Won, played by Yeo Jin Goo, is transferred to the same headquarters and becomes his superior. Joo Won is an elite detective whose father is a positive candidate for becoming the next chief at the National Police Agency. However, underneath his admirable qualities and high societal background, Joo Won carries a long-kept secret with him. When a gruesome string of killings that resembles unsolved serial-murder cases from 20 years ago shake up their quiet city, Dong Sik and Joo Won decide to join forces in catching the vicious culprit.

Cast:

Yeo Jin Goo as Han Joo Won

He is a highly capable detective who seems to have everything.

Shin Ha Kyun as Lee Dong Shik

He is a former detective who has since been demoted to doing menial work at a local police station. His peaceful life is turned upside down when Han Joo Won becomes his partner—and when an incident echoing a serial killer case from 20 years ago shakes up their village.

Choi Sung Eun as Yoo Jae Yi

Chun Ho Jin as Nam Sang Bae

Nam Yoon Su as Oh Ji Hoon

Choi Jin Ho as Han Ki Hwan

Heo Sung Tae as Lee Chang Jin

Shim Wan Joon as Kang Do Soo

Moon Joo Yeon as Lee Yoo Yeon

Park Ji Hoon as Kwon Hyuk

Character Posters:

Spoiler

Shin-Ha-Kyun.jpg

Yeo-Jin-Goo.jpg

yeo-jin-goo.jpg

shin-ha-kyun.jpg

Making of:

Teaser:

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Monster, 괴물 - Yeon Jin Goo & Shin Ha Kyun

Confirmed right? Did the actors conmfirm? oh wow the actors. My fav genre - crime thriller  like the actors. YJG playing a detective is..well...l I guess I keep thinking of him as that child actor then transitioning to teen roles then young adult.. and now going to playing detective. I'll check this.. if confirmed.

• Like 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Monster, 괴물 - Yeo Jin Goo & Shin Ha Kyun
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Monster/Freak, 괴물 - Yeo Jin Goo & Shin Ha Kyun - Premieres in February 2021
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물 - Yeo Jin Goo & Shin Ha Kyun - Premieres in February 2021

Yes please. This teaser got me looking forward already! Look suspenseful. The actings gonna top notch from the two actors. :wub:

So many good dramas ( I hope good ones  good script and acting) this February.

My Mon-Tue is for Luca.  My Wed-Thurs is for The Myth and Times. Fri -Sat is for this drama.

My weekend drama for February is complete.  Life of kdrama fan. I'm sure y'all can relate. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I did not want to watch this drama despite liking the genre and the actors. Another drama with a serial killer! I am sick and tired watching this.  But after watching the trailer/teaser, I changed my mind. I want to watch Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo together in this drama. I will watch for the actors but I hope it will be a good thriller as well.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

On 1/16/2021 at 2:55 PM, larus said:

I did not want to watch this drama despite liking the genre and the actors. Another drama with a serial killer! I am sick and tired watching this.  But after watching the trailer/teaser, I changed my mind. I want to watch Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo together in this drama. I will watch for the actors but I hope it will be a good thriller as well.

From the looks of it, and also seeing the synopsis, I believe this will be a proper psychological thriller. I had been looking forward to this drama since the cast of it were confirmed. 

But I also agree, most of the psychological thrillers have got the same serial killer thing, but that is what makes them interesting in my opinion. As you said, let's hope this one will be a good one. I dropped Shin Ha Kyun's "Beyond Evil" despite it having a great potential and interesting plot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

But I also agree, most of the psychological thrillers have got the same serial killer thing, but that is what makes them interesting in my opinion.

It is just me. I am tired of the serial killer stories. What makes it interesting for me is not this aspect but the relationship between the two protagonists. I already feel a good vibe between the two of them. Especially Shin Ha Kyun`s  character seems to be a complex character.

From what I read, it sounds an interesting and compelling story for both actors. I will watch.

I hope it will be more like in Nobody knows, to concentrate more on the characters not the serial killer.

4 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I dropped Shin Ha Kyun's "Beyond Evil" despite it having a great potential and interesting plot. 

You dropped another drama of Shin Ha Kyun. Perhaps Less Than Evil? Beyong Evil is this upcoming drama.

• Blob 1

1 hour ago, larus said:

It is just me. I am tired of the serial killer stories. What makes it interesting for me is not this aspect but the relationship between the two protagonists. I already feel a good vibe between the two of them. Especially Shin Ha Kyun`s  character seems to be a complex character.

From what I read, it sounds an interesting and compelling story for both actors. I will watch.

I hope it will be more like in Nobody knows, to concentrate more on the characters not the serial killer.

Well, I am also tired of the serial killer stories where they show the ML as a cold person and only concentrated on catching the culprit without thinking much about others and using any method possible. 

From the synopsis, I think Shin Ha Kyun was the guy investigating the case in the past, but somehow it remained unsolved. So yeah, it will be interesting to see how he and Yeo Jin Goo's character connect together. 

Nobody Knows was unique in my opinion when it came to showing inter-character relationships. The FL she initially looked like the typical MC in serial killer dramas, but soon in the first episode itself it was evident that she is different. She was emotionally expressive, and cared about others. We see how she not only took care of that kid but also other boy from his high school. We don't usually see this happen in such dramas. Mostly their emphasis is on solving the case, so much that they compromise the character relationship build ups. Hopefully here we will see it. I liked "Good Detective" for the same reason, even there the characters connected quite well. 

1 hour ago, larus said:

You dropped another drama of Shin Ha Kyun. Perhaps Less Than Evil? Beyong Evil is this upcoming drama.

Well, it was actually interesting, but then I believe one big WTH moment happened, along with it becoming a bit boring in between that made me drop. I think I did it before the halfway mark. I did check the comments on Asianwiki after it ended and they were all about the drama being promising and losing its way in between. 

Some even dubbed this drama as a comedy :joy:. But still, you never know, I might give it another try later on.

But this dude has got something to do with "Evil" word, and seems like it is always on the extremes of it :joy:

I didn't drop his other one, though, his "Soul Mechanic" is on pause for now on 10th episode, or were you talking about his other drama? 

32 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I didn't drop his other one, though, his "Soul Mechanic" is on pause for now on 10th episode, or were you talking about his other drama? 

You said that you dropped Beyond Evil and I assumed it must be Less Than Evil because Beyond Evil have not started yet.:D

I watched Less Than Evil  and it was just OK for me. Maybe because I loved BBC "Luther" series and it did not have the same feeling. I know that the Korean remake has its flavour but I expected more. I checked Shin Ha Kyun`s dramas. I watched all his dramas except for Soul Mechanic. It is my second drama of Yeo Jin Goo. I watched him in Circle: Two Worlds Connected (and he was in a two or three sageuks I watched playing a young character. ) I like him too. We have a strong duo/leading men.

I already anticipate the partnership between the protagonists. That is the highlight for me. If they have the script/story/ dialogue to back them up....it will be fantastic. We`ll see.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

19 minutes ago, larus said:

You said that you dropped Beyond Evil and I assumed it must be Less Than Evil because Beyond Evil have not started yet.:D

See! I am already confused between those dramas now :loolz:

19 minutes ago, larus said:

I watched Less Than Evil  and it was just OK for me. Maybe because I loved BBC "Luther" series and it did not have the same feeling. I know that the Korean remake has its flavour but I expected more. I checked Shin Ha Kyun`s dramas. I watched all his dramas except for Soul Mechanic. It is my second drama of Yeo Jin Goo. I watched him in Circle: Two Worlds Connected (and he was in a two or three sageuks I watched playing a young character. ) I like him too. We have a strong duo/leading men.

As for Shin Ha Kyun, I have watched his dramas, but not all of them. I particularly liked his "Pied Piper". It was a different concept and the twists were good in it. As for "Less than Evil", I believe the baddie he was chasing went into coma, but he was not actually in coma or something similar, anyway it had one WTH moment making me drop. As I said before, maybe I will give it a try because of this dude. 

As for Yeo Jin Goo, I like his acting style. Firstly well, he has been a child actor and started his career quite early, so yeah, he developed his skills quite well. Plus he does know what script to pick actually. He has also does not shy away from trying out different script too. I watched his 2 Sageuks, "Royal Gambler" and "Crowned Clown" and I liked both of them. He was the 2nd lead in the former one, but his character was equally important as the ML and liked that drama a lot. 

Apart from it, I liked "Hotel Del Luna" too, didn't even think about watching his "Absolute Boyfriend". Looking forward to this one. But I what I want to say is, in span of 4-5 years, he acted in all kind of genre dramas, and this is actually a good thing, because it shows he wants to try to challenge himself, and because of it we might not see him being typecast for a certain kind of dramas. 

The casting of "Beyond Evil" has been quite solid with these 2 as leads, and the supporting cast also seems quite good to me. So I am really looking forward to this drama. Hopefully it will be as good as we anticipate. 

• Like 1

Yeo Jin Goo And Shin Ha Kyun Hypnotize With Their Intense Stares In Character Posters For New Psychological Thriller Drama

26ac672e029342b69f4a89a4b4ef414d.jpeg?s=

Jan 19, 2021
by L. Kim

Upcoming JTCB drama “Beyond Evil” has unveiled character posters of its lead cast!

“Beyond Evil” is a psychological thriller starring Yeo Jin Goo and Shin Ha Kyun as two men who are willing to break the rules and the law in their pursuit of a serial killer. The drama asks, “Who is the monster? Is it you? Is it me? Is it us?”

Shin Ha Kyun plays Lee Dong Shik, a former detective in the violent crimes division who has been demoted to a sergeant at a local police station, and Yeo Jin Goo stars as the elite detective Han Joo Won.

Previously, the drama unveiled teaser posters of Lee Dong Shik and Han Joo Won stubbornly chasing after something. The most recent set of character posters captures the strange relationship between the two men. They gaze at each other with deep, penetrating eyes, and their reflections are mirrored on each other’s posters.

Lee Dong Shik exudes mysteriousness with his smirk, and Han Joo Won adds tension with his bold eyes. Both character posters contain the caption “I met a monster,” raising expectations about how their story will unfold.

Shin-Ha-Kyun1.jpg

Yeo-Jin-Goo1.jpg

The drama’s production crew shared, “The synergy between Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo is flawless. They will delve deeper into the complex psychology of fluctuating characters and showcase the essence of psychological tracking thrillers. The key point is the passionate performance of the two actors who will portray a solid narrative.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1449494wpp/yeo-jin-goo-and-shin-ha-kyun-hypnotize-with-their-intense-stares-in-character-posters-for-new-psychological-thriller-drama

• Like 3

I am really excited for this drama. Thank you for sharing this new special teaser video :smiley:!

On 1/22/2021 at 8:58 AM, Jillia said:

New teaser has been released. :D

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물 - Fri & Sat @ 23:00 KST - Yeo Jin Goo & Shin Ha Kyun - Premieres on February 19th

the drama asks, “Who is the monster? Is it you? Is it me? Is it us?

Han Joo Won, who comes down to the local police station in Manyang with a secret. He gets caught up in a whirlwind of events when he meets his partner Lee Dong Shik, who is more monstrous than any monster.

Should I therefore conclude.. who is  the "Monster"  who is morre "Beyond Evil" ?

Therey are going to chase a monster serial killer. As  we're already familiar how kdrama works, I'm guessing the events of 20 yr old killing has something to do with Lee Dong Shik or related to Han Joo Won. Ooops  I'm getting ahead of myself I Know. Lets see when this premiers.

The detailed and powerful acting from Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo, who will portray the deepest parts of humans, will showcase the essence of a psychological chase thriller.”

I hope this will be good psycho drama. Happens to be my fav genre. We have two good actors. No matter how good actors are if the storY and writing is not engaging...gotta move on to another. There's also upcoming action psycho thriller drama which is Mouse. Well, we want all kdramas to be good and enjoyable.

It's gotta be Shin Ha Kyun's who's the monster. He looks evil.. but he's going to chase a pyscho killer. Maybe Yeo Jin Goo is alos evil hinding something pyscho.. maybe to avenge something. Maybe  red herring character?

Both fantastic actors. Hoping a lot of confrontation and see good acting.

cr:@

• Awesome 1