[Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물

0ly40

First of all, I actually love how I went from suspecting Lee Dong Shik last week to fully empathizing with him with this week episodes and from feeling quite impartial about Han Ju Won to full on despising him. My brain really is working at full capacity just trying to understand things, figuring out who is saying the truth and who is not. :heartxoxo:

From my perspective, Lee Dong Shik despite being a police officer himself, he doesn't trust the organization at all. He worked hard to be promoted from a small substation to RIU to being demoted back to a substation, which I think it is an  intentional move from the higher-up to cover up whatever happened during his team operation that lead to his team member dying. He became alert when he heard Han Ki Hwan's name and I don't think it is only because he called off the investigation on Bang Ju Seon and Lee Yu Yeon's cases but he might know/learned something while he was at RIU. Han Ki Hwan relationship with the councilwoman and that developer goes a really long way and there is no way he is not involved with shady business regarding the murders.

Even during his questioning, Lee Dong Shik calmly pointing out all the flaws with the facts presented to him. He made full fun of the police by exposing himself in front of reporters while wearing his uniform. As of now, I am maintaining the stance that he knows who is the murderer or at least a hint of who it is, that is why he is everywhere along the evidences' trail because he is trying to follow the evidence to gather solid evidence before exposing it. Or he might be the one who really did it and with his extensive knowledge with how police operating, he might use that to cover up his crime. Either way, I don't really mind because both storyline is interesting to follow. We still don't know why he is on medication and I want answer to that but that might be the big clue whether he is the murderer or he is the victim.  

Han Ki Hwan, Do Hae Won and Lee Chang Jin are the clear-cut villain in this. Han Ki Hwan is using his influence to steer the direction of the investigation and Lee Chang Jin was the one responsible to kill off Kang Min Jung character into someone unfavorable to the public. They have all the means to control things according to their likings and I am genuinely afraid of what more they will do.  

Ohhhhhh Han Ju Won. I hated you so much during this week episodes. I cannot help thinking you are being so unreasonable and so full of yourself. During the confrontation between him and Yoo Jae Yi, I couldn't help wanting to throw the eggs together with Jae Yi. He is being so unhinged, throwing off words so harshly that I couldn't help thinking every words are mirroring him back. He judge people characters so easily just because of them believing Lee Dong Shik is innocent really show how shallow his mind is. He is a narcissistic who can't admit he might be wrong and that is most probably why he is so obsessed with Lee Dong Shik. He is so desperate to prove himself right. Maybe the reason why he was transferred was that he made wrong judgement during his time at Foreign Affairs that caused huge drawback to his team and this time around he desperately want to prove that he is right. He was always at the top so he can't accept he is at the bottom right now.  

Park Jung Je coming out as the witness for Lee Dong Shik again really shoot him up in my list of suspect. People might see that he provided alibi for Lee Dong Shik but I couldn't help thinking he is using Lee Dong Shik to create alibi for himself. He can easily enter Lee Dong Shik's home while he is not there, meaning he has full access into Dong Shik's home. Oh Ji Hwa is being more objective about Lee Dong Shik but Park Jung Je goes all out to protect Lee Dong Shik. However, looking at the rapport between him and Lee Dong Shik, I think Lee Dong Shik is keeping him near is because Park Jung Je is related to whoever the suspect is. He tried not to make Park Jung Je get involved in these cases but Park Jung Je keeps injecting himself into it. 

Before I forgot, that moment when they showed the character shift of Oh Ji Hoon shows that he has the different side of him beside the bright character we always seen. Almost everyone in their circle has their own trauma and I can see that he is mad during that short character shift that Han Ju Won keeps provoking them but he tried to not show it. We still do not know why he reveal the arrest of Lee Dong Shik but he probably knows a lot more what is happening within the police force than what have been shown for now. 

Yoo Jae Yi and Lee Dong Shik do share the same trauma, both person related to them went missing and bad rumors has been following them for years. They tried to live normally but once something bad happened, all those rumors keep coming back. The community there really is selfish in their own way. 

I am excited for next week episodes and what more the writer will do to throw off my theories again. I am impressed with the current direction but I am equally as excited to know if it going the way I am expecting or not. Either way, I am having fun despite the headache. :sparklyeyes:

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, kdramagrandma said:

First of all, I actually love how I went from suspecting Lee Dong Shik last week to fully empathizing with him with this week episodes and from feeling quite impartial about Han Ju Won to full on despising him.

Ohhhhhh Han Ju Won. I hated you so much during this week episodes. I cannot help thinking you are being so unreasonable and so full of yourself. During the confrontation between him and Yoo Jae Yi, I couldn't help wanting to throw the eggs together with JAE YI. 

Sorry to cut up your post, I too wanted to throw those eggs on HJW.  :D

JG was that good, glad that he took on this role. 

But with regards to Dong Shik, I didn't suspect him. He looked tormented by his past and feels like he's already emotionally unhinged ever since. He puts up those missing posters on the wall as a kind of reminder to not forget those missing people. At least that's my take. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 6

I am liking this series so far, so many questions coming up.  So it seems ji Hoon met up with the party girl that night or did he just see her meeting Dong Shik?  If so, did he really believe DS was suspect that is why he leaked it to the media?   I assume he was not the killer right?

And of of course the meeting of the three stooges all of them having ulterior motives.  

I wonder if the butcher mom who went missing was indeed murdered and abducted or simply ran away? And if murdered, was it the same murderer from twenty yrs ago?

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

The Korean legal system, as it is portrayed in this series (not sure how it is in reality), is pretty flawed:

• like I said previously, that the Vice Commissioner (HJW's dad) can find out stuff from other organisations before it is directed to the team that applied for the report/evidence. 
  • arresting someone without warrant, when culprit wasn't found while committing the crime. I don't understand this logic, since they could have just submitted what things they had had, which made them arrest Dong Shik, to a judge. There's something like emergency warrants, ususally.
  • Ju Won interfering with the investigation: like not exiting the interview room, despite his superiors telling him to, basically he does whatever he wants. I suppose because he is his father's son, he is used to getting what he wants, and nobody telling him no.
  • The way these interviews are conducted. I think someone else should investigate Dong Shik, someone who isn't working with him, or familiar. It just makes it weird, what with the emotional range full of anger. The way Dong Shik ran circles around the interviewer. Amazing. 

These last two episodes have convinced me that Dong Shik is NOT the murderer ( and if I'm wrong, it's a huge plot twist). To me his "creepy" smiles, laughing like a lunatic, all are because of the hardship he has suffered 20 years ago, when he was accused of killing his sister. Back then I'm not quite sure what the evidence/assumption was that got him arrested back then. was it that text message, asking her to come out?

Ju Won... sigh. The preview has Dong Shik telling Ju Won, if he can let go of his principles and the law: Ju Won doesn't have principles though. For some reason he doggedly pursues Dong Shik before he came to town (assuming Dong Shik is that serial killer, which messed up the Foreign Office). Then he just breaks into someone's home and later even threatens with a pistol and tries to get forced confession and even says he will get rid of the camera. The fact that he tried to kill Dong Shik for saying all the things about his case and father - he looks more like a monster by each episode. 

What's with the camera in the basement though? It is only a live stream, not a recording, right? So it wouldn't be saved anyway? Or does anyone know better?

In any case, Ju Won isn't exactly a principled, law-abiding officer in the first place. 

Also that young rookie cop shows his teeth when he talks about Ju Won "messing with people of this town". I knew it was weird that he was all chipper and nice and trying to kiss RickRoll'D of Ju Won lol. It seems like he has two personalities, especially since he is the one who reported Dong Shik to the reporters. 

Sorry, I have far more questions than insight. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 5

I binged watched the series today and am so overwhelmed by all the little details in this drama.

I'll probs be forgetting things here and there bc of that as I skimmed forward a tad too much.

There are so many characters and all are so sus - making my brain hurt.

As of now I find Dongshik and Jungje more suspicious than Joowon.

I keep thinking that the reason for Dongshik's creepy laughters (other than a defense mechanism) is that he has some kind of personality disorder that's triggered in this little town. Like one minute he's the most compassionate neighbour and the next, he's crying and smiling at a close one's death. Super unsettling as if he were having episodes. I know it'd be too easy to just play it off as dongshik being the serial killer but what ifs. 

Like what if he's a master manipulator that's made the whole community his ally? Everyone close to him is pretty hesitant and doubtful he's the criminal. The many times he's been investigated, his police friends manage to set him free bc of their connections. The only reason a supposed criminal keeps getting out - is bc everyone trust and believe that he wouldn't do that. Anything sus he does, he'll get out no matter what. They're all indenial. 

Jaeyi: claims he's an innocent man being framed. 
Chief Nam: tells Joowon to stop investigating dongshik.

Oh Jihwa: She has the upper hand and is always put on his case so she can manipulate the direction of the investigation. She seemed to have doubts when talking to jungje outside dongshik's house but just ignores the red flags.

Jungje: Keeps testifying as the alibi who stayed with dongshik whenever he's arrested. Files missing, relays dongshik any dirt he finds. 

Officer Oh: He's kind man but sus when he did the tone switch with dongshik 'you're messing with people stuck in this miserable town'. I was like ???

Idk but what about the decade time gap between his sister's/phone lady/minjung's deaths?

Or the whole town's in on protecting/ covering up for the murderer.

Maybe because I was watching hannibal to cope with my drama drought but I keep imagining Dongshik as psychopath who's built his reputation as the local trusty police man and wants to drive joowon insane / or make him his right hand man? Since joowon's the only person who's doubtful and against him? 

And about Joowon's infatuation with Dongshik as the killer is ignited by being mocked him and all that? 

Mockery that no matter what he does and no one will ever believe him? Joowon's got a strong sense of justice and can't stand the idea of an obvious serial killer on loose being free. He's a smart man with a sweet talking mouth. He's got resources and allies. He's just so cocky that people won't believe it's him. Why'd Dongshik reveal himself from underneath the blankets to the photographers? For the thrills? This dude must must be playing games. There's probs lots of holes to debunk this tho. (Not everyone's on his side, what about the restaurant grandma? they hate him and refuse to serve him. Why would a psychopath want that?) There's this strong force between the two in the poster with the chairs - is it their opposing personalities or are they going to join forces in order to find the killer (if it isn't dongshik).

If that isn't the case, I'd say maybe Dongshik's just covering for jungje. The rookie officer oh is also sus in some way but not entirely murder sus to me. Or simply this is just Strangers of Hell with joowon being the killer of the recent victims and alluded himself that dongshik did it all? Is joowon becoming the monster or IS the monster?  Idk anymore. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

I really like this drama. It is my favorite from all the airing dramas I am watching right now. Not only the acting but the script is good. I can fee the tension and suspisious in the scenes.

I am facinating with Dong-Sik as a character. I`ve never believed that he is  the killer. His laugh is a defence mechanism (for exemple I believe he would have gone ballistic after watching them speaking ill of the victim) and his life is a mess but, in the same time, I had briefly a doubt if he has another hidden personality. But no, right now I totally believe that he is innocent. Like many people here, I also think that Dong Sik knows something about the case or suspect something. Maybe someone is trying to make him the suspect once again and he is defending himself. He knew he will be arrested and prepared the scene. He played with the police/his colleagues.  So many people are suspcisious and we`ll find out little by little what everyone are hidding. I also think that the serial murder is near Dong Sik. What is more disturbing is that people covered up the crime in the past because of the development project or because of their own interests. 

I am hoping that both Dong Sik and Joo Won will start working together to find out the truth.

I can`t wait to watch more episodes.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 4

@brooksmom, care to join me and @htk9207 throwing eggs to Ju Won? I am usually against food wastage but if that is what Jae Yi wants to do, I don't mind joining her to show my support plus Ju Won deserves that humiliation. Need to remind myself that is Han Ju Won and not Yeo Jin Goo though because YJG will never deserves that kind of treatment. 

@agenth I guess the writer intention is to portray how influential Han Ki Hwan is and I think he still has the connection since he served at Munju Police Station before. He knows very well how the system works there plus he is using Prosecutor Kwon to gain access to the material too. The meeting between him and the councilwoman and developer also give insight that they worked together before.

Dong Shik was a suspect because of the text messages exchange between him and Yu Yeon before her disappearance and the current Chief at Manyang Substation who was the detective-in-charge then found Dong Shik's guitar pick near the site where Bang Ju Seon's body was found. Plus he had the town troublemaker tag on him.

I think that the CCTV is live-streaming and also recording. The detectives did retrieve the files and it was caught on camera when Dong Shik was cleaning his basement. 

Dong Shik really outsmart everyone and he is clearly in control in what he wants to get reveal and what he wants to hide. Quoting him, Are you guys detectives in a drama?. He knows he is being suspicious but he has rebuttal with every incriminating evidences against him. 

@tofumochu I am not defending the people in Dong Shik's circle but they have known what Dong Shik has been through. Chief Nam admitted that he doesn't like Dong Shik, but he also has no valid reason to shunned him like the other town people. He is still feeling guilty with what Dong Shik went through during investigation 20 years back. They all know about Dong Shik more that what has been shown to us. Officer Oh did find him suspicious too but she never got any concrete evidence for every allegations Dong Shik is facing right now. They are operating with as long as there is no concrete evidence that goes against Dong Shik, they have no right to isolate him like how the other town people is actively doing until now. 

I don't totally write him off as a suspect because he is so smart, he knows every ins and outs of the town and he also knows how laws work. For a lot of people defending him right now, he must have been really consistent in making people to trust him despite having the tag as a crazy person on him all the time. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 4

I laughed during that interrogation scene.

DS managed to irritate everyone around him, but everything he said was correct.

If he isnt the killer then I dont understand why he is doing this.

All those games are too much because it wastes precious time to find victims.

Although it may be the only way to find out the truth.

The whole town seems suspicious.

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

Okay so I liked this episode a lot. So I think Dong Shik is not really the killer here, and not even the accomplice. There is a high chance that he knows who the killer is, but it is not mainly because he wants to protect that person, I believe it is mainly because he does not have evidence to prove it. As I said, he did say, you can't accuse someone for murder without the body. Plus I don't think he really trusts the Police Organization. 

Firstly, I actually Dong Shik's character a lot, he knows what he is doing here. He revealed himself in front of the reporters, mainly to put some pressure on the people investigating him. At the same time, Ju Won has been completely unreasonable here. I still don't understand him being one dimensional with his investigation being sure that Dong Shik is the culprit here, without having any proper evidence. Even the NFS people and other police force members lost their minds over the evidence being a single drop/small stain of blood, and once again, at least for me, he has messed up big time again. 

I do understand how Jae Yi felt and was surprised how he actually reacted to it. Her business got directly affected by his reckless act here, and he just wanted to find some evidence, which he really could not. He has been going around like a madman trying to prove he is right and messing things up. The only reason he can do it all, is because his dad is the higher up here. 

As for the suspects, we have got 3 suspects whose loved ones are among the victims. Jae Yi's mom is missing for 10 years (could be among the victims), Dong Shik's sister and Jin Mok's daughter. As for the others, Jung Je is too suspicious to me. In both cases, while Dong Shik never mentioned him, he just came out of no where to seemingly fake Dong Shik's alibi, while I believe he actually did it for himself. We don't know much about the first time he did, but the second time, Dong Shik had just some hours left to be freed and nothing was really found against him, and he just arrived and did it. So I am finding him suspicious too here.

Coming back to Dong Shik, he clearly does not trust the organization and we can see the reason for it. Ju Won's dad, Park Jung Je's mom and the new shady dude are planning to bury the serial murder cases. One thing I liked Ju Won do was reveal it and ruin their plans. But as I said, Dong Shik clearly has an idea who it could be and since he does not really trust anyone, he is doing so.

The reason he is not really denying he is not the murderer here is that, he knows he can't change anyone's thoughts here. He has faced it all 20 years ago, and knows it does not matter how much he explains things since people are not really gonna hear him out. That's why I believe he finds it useless to explain things to anyone especially to the people who are convinced he is the culprit like Ju Won. At the same time, I see him laughing all the time as the psychological effect of his arrest 20 years ago and how people stigmatized him, and how his family suddenly broke down because of it all. So while we saw everyone feel bad about Min Jung's news like that, we see him laugh mainly because of the reaction as I said and how they did it all to change the flow and thinking of the people. Dong Shik is a complex character, I am liking him for now, and for now, I am convinced he is not really the killer here. 

• Love 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Blob 2

@larus good to read thoughts. Same as well, it's my fav as well amongs the currently airing (with Times as my 2nd fav)

Finally watch Ep 4 with sub.  Another good intriguing episode of my current fav drama.  Such brilliant acting! Best drama right now. Best actors!  well written. That ramyeon talk inside the interrogation room! The way Dong Sik revealed himself to the reportes the whole scene is sooo good!

Right now this drama.   Manyang 's a small town full of misery and suffering, and broken.  The killings 20 yrs ago have made the residents hold on to each other. Keep secrets and protect each other. 

cr: ladyxenax

EvT4W9gXYAA41y_?format=jpg&name=small

How I feel Ha Ju Won in ep 3 is stil the same after watching ep 4.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, jongski said:

Poweful daddy -the next chief commisioner  seething mad because HJW efff! it up.  Daddy doesn't believe in him, doesn't trust him, always has to bail him, even sending Kwon there as special prosector. But really.. it's to keep an eye on Ha Ju Won and  make sure everybdoy doesn't get wint up on evidence because that phone that was found has the handprints of Ha Ju Won....so.. he is gonna be suspect or be suspected.  Ha Ju Won asked to take a leave of absence else daddy explodes and... boy, I pity Ha Ju Won.

Ha Ju Won doesn't have the sensitvities for the town's feelings. He lack that sensitive emotion. The empathy. All he knows is that killings happened 20 years ago is same as  that of 9 months ago  with 3 same MO done as that of 20 yrs ago. He wanted to investigate... again.  He stood there lacking compassion while eggs thrown at him. Glared at Jae Yi shouting, trying to correct the reason for defending and claiming Dong Sik as innocent. He doesn't have that emotional touch to the resident's of Manyang's small town.  As Ji Hoon said to him... "he messed with the people who are stuck in this miserble town"

Case in point. Jae Yi. He didn't know at that time, Jae Yi's mother part of the missing from 20 yrs ago. 

Ha JuWon only found out after that sly Hyeok Kwon told him that repprt comfirmed  woman's blood on a knife handle was found and belonged to Hang Jeong Im-- who happens to be Jae Yi's mother who's been missing. He remembered seeing the name on Dong Sik's basemet wall filled with missing person with a number written. He checked the phone number which led to the butcher shop. And there he saw from the outside Jae Yi looking at the missing person flyer.

Ha Ju won in his quest to find out about the killings and 20 yrs old case decided to do his own investigation. Going as far as giving himself post to Manyang jurisdiction (his daddy chief was opposed and told him to lie low). His investigation wasn't solid else he would have known who were the  loved ones left by the victims.

Btw,  I'm not liking Hyeok Kwon since ep 1  that sly! Remember, at the beginning, he keeps referring to himself as that kind of son who would never be failure to his father. Ugh!  I know he secretly wants Ha Ju Won fail and gloat on it. He wants all the praise and grace of chief Han to be on him.

The council woman, the businessman, and the soon to be police commissioner in cahoots for the redevelopment plan for Manyang.  I can already feel something's gonna happen that's not good. Politics and power is going to play and affecting the murder investigation of the serial killings.

Either Dong Sik (and many says he's not) or he knows.  Ha Ju Won came to the realization on the latter.  That Dong Sik knows and he's protecting that person.

If Dong Sik's protecting someone who could it be? Lets see....

Jung Je:   it's because  20 yrs ago, Jung Je insisted it's he was with him  and became his alibi. That Dong Sik is not the one who killed.. BSJ or YY.  He came forward again to say Dong Sik was with him on the night Min Jung died. But again.. he didn't even see  Dong Sik. But he swears he'd know if Dong Sik left because  he said his doors squeak so loudly, there's no way he would have slept through that. Dong Sik ask him why he lied again. Jung Je insist  he was with him that day. Prompting Dong Sik to to ask ... what are you going to do if I'm the culprit?   But why would Dong Sik protect him.  He clearly says and knows Jung Je lied.

Ji Hoon  when it comes to Ming Jung killing):  The flashback showed he was smiling and walking but not exactly meeting Min Jung. Could he have seen who she was meeting? Or.. he's the one.

Jin Mook:  because there's still something off about him.. or maybe I'm totally so wrong. And if there's person who Dong Sik will protect.. it's probably him.

Ha Ju Won said killings started over the span of 20 years.  Who was the killer 20 years ago? Who is the killer 9 months ago?  

One question that wasn't answered on this episode. Why did Ji Hoon wanted Dong Sik to be the culprit? Det. Oh Jiwha asked but.. it wasn't answered.

@backstreetboysfan The least you expect. The nicest one always turns out to be the one.

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

15 hours ago, jongski said:

Either Dong Sik (and many says he's not) or he knows.  Ha Ju Won came to the realization on the latter.  That Dong Sik knows and he's protecting that person.

I don`t think he knows who is the killer but he definetly knows many secreats of this town and how police works.

It is good that you mentioned the ramyeon talk inside the interrogation room. I laughed so hard. He is consistant with his motto: Many a little makes a mickle. The same hilarious scene was when he was intransigent with the adjummas in the first episode. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 4

8 minutes ago, jongski said:

One question that wasn't answered on this episode. Why did Ji Hoon wanted Dong Sik to be the culprit? Det. Oh Jiwha asked but.. it wasn't answered.

In the previews, he says to Dong Shik, he knows that Dong Shik didn't kill Min Jung. Either he knows the real killer, or he is reaffirming his faith in Dong Shik, this after he was the tip to the reporters. I know previews can't be trusted, but I just wanted to comment on this. 

I do feel he also has things to hide, since his cheerful personality was a little too much. And he is more involved than he appears to be...

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

Did all 4 eps yesterday and became totally invested. SHK is definitely an actor you can trust to portray characters such as LDS. One thing that I just realised is how young he looks vs how I imagined he would look. I liked the close ups of SHK's eyes.

I'm still not warming up to HJW. For a guy who is trying to investigate a potential criminal, he surely is giving a lot of opportunity to that person to hide his crime. I would understand if he is trying to force the criminal's hand, but his method is amateurish.

I'm going to guess LDS definitely did not kill his twin, although he might be guilty of killing the first victim.... hahaha who know?

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

Hello all.  I am on episode 4, not quite finish.  Can I ask some questions (maybe it has been covered)?

1) Why did the murders resurface now, 20 years later... whether it is the original murderer or a copycat?  Maybe it has been happening over the last 20 yrs, just no body.  Feels like the perpetrator wants his crimes be discovered for some reason.  Why?

2) How is this related to illegal immigrants?

3) Why cutting off the fingers? I noticed they are manicured fingers.  Lee Geum Hwa, Kang Min Jung had manicure.  Han Jeong Im and Yu Yeon I don't think had.

Thanks.  Hi @larus @jongski

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Beyond evil has an amazing start and end with a cliffhanger, it's beyond our expectation. Bravo !

Like what the Drama "Vincenzo" shown the Italian proverb saying, "It takes a devil to drive out another devil" - only monster can beat the monsters, we need a real monster to deal with the evil men whether it's legal or not.

The LDS (first ML) has to be the monster in order to trap down another monster (the murderer) His acting is phenomenal. I was truly amazed by his current work and previous project called "Less than Evil" (bad detective)

He has given hints in the drama during the internal investigation.  All the evidences seem to be pointing at him including the last EP 4 - if we rewatch carefully, I believe that the real identity of the person who met up with KMJ wasn't revealed on that scene, the young police officer, JiHoon saw KMJ from a distance with a smile, and he saw her walking towards "the person" who could be the abductor or killer of KMJ but LDS probably wasn't the person meeting up with her. Who is "the person" in the dark to kill her? Why Jihoon wanted to frame LDS, this is something we shall find out on next EP.

I am quite sure both will eventually work hand in hand to find the real murderer. 

@partyon - you asked about any first ML who was the bad guy/killer throughout the show, i recalled one creepy drama, "Stranger from Hell" -  lee dong wook character. :D

• Like 7
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

Hello all.  I am on episode 4, not quite finish.  Can I ask some questions (maybe it has been covered)?

1) Why did the murders resurface now, 20 years later... whether it is the original murderer or a copycat?  Maybe it has been happening over the last 20 yrs, just no body.  Feels like the perpetrator wants his crimes be discovered for some reason.  Why?

2) How is this related to illegal immigrants?

3) Why cutting off the fingers? I noticed they are manicured fingers.  Lee Geum Hwa, Kang Min Jung had manicure.  Han Jeong Im and Yu Yeon I don't think had.

Thanks.  Hi @larus @jongski

1. Chingu, it was revealed that the murders have happening and never stopped. Min Jung is the 7th victim and maybe there are more victims as some people like Jae Yi's mom are still missing for several years now. 

2. It seems like the other victims of this murder, that is out of the 7 victims, some are actually illegal immigrants and this was the case which Han Ju won was investigating before arriving to the small town. IT seems like he messed up that case, and was supposed to sent elsewhere and he decided to arrive here to investigate things on his own. 

3. Cutting fingers could be for many reasons. I think it purely depends on the killer and his reasons for doing it, but there is a high chance that he first cuts the fingers and then kills. This way, he could actually torture the victims. But again, it purely depends on the killer, whether he does it before or after the murder and why he actually does it. 

@lebeaucouple I don't think Ji Hoon wanted to frame LDS here. I strongly believe, by bringing in the reporters he actually helped Dong Shik, as he said in the preview to him "I know you are not the killer". By involving the media, and Dong Shik revealing himself as the cop in front of them, they actually put the pressure on the investigators. They arrested him on emergency basis without warrant and evidence, the media knowing it would pester them and for them to get Dong Shik locked up, now they needed some concrete evidence and not just a small stain of blood belonging to the victim. 

I think, we include Lee Chang Jin (Heo Sung Tae) in the suspects. Firstly, well he is played by Heo Sung Tae and we know that Heo Sung Tae rarely does positive roles and his negative roles are mainly the ultimate/big baddie one. His age matches up with that of the killer since he was an adult when the murder happened 20 years ago. Secondly he has been pushing the redevelopment project, but in the name of it, wants the case to be buried. So there is chance that he actually wants the case to be buried in the redevelopment and not the other way round. 

Seeing the previews for next episode, I think Ju Won will be convinced that Dong Shik is not the killer, but actually knows who the killer is. I think Dong Shik has got his doubts and is not really sure about who the killer is. As I said, he has been through a lot and knows that there is no point in telling anyone anything, since they won't really trust him or it would get very easily get buried. At the same time he knows it is useless to tell anyone he is not the killer, since those who want to believe he is the killer, will continue believing it and those who don't will not believe it. Like we saw Jin Mook and Jae Yi being almost sure that he is innocent here. 

4 hours ago, dzareth said:

I'm still not warming up to HJW. For a guy who is trying to investigate a potential criminal, he surely is giving a lot of opportunity to that person to hide his crime. I would understand if he is trying to force the criminal's hand, but his method is amateurish.

I think just like Dong Shik, Ju Won too suffers from trauma. We saw him suddenly breathe heavily and start losing his mind in the final few minutes of 4th episode when he confronted Dong Shik. We have seen Dong Shik suffering from stiff legs whenever the case where his partner died is brought up and same is the case Ju Won he becomes that way when the case he messed is brought up. 

While Dong Shik seems to have moved on from his trauma, Ju Won does not seem to be. But then again, it does not really explain his one dimensional investigation. He is using his connections quite well, and only to get this locked up being so convinced that he is the killer as if he actually witnessed Dong Shik doing it. Hopefully as I said, in the next episode when he will be convinced Dong Shik didn't do it, we might see them start working together on this case. I think just like him, Dong Shik has been investigating this case secretly too. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1