[Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물

0ly40

11 hours ago, jongski said:

And don't forget the adopt son.. aka flower boy Jin Mook.

Dong Sik must have done something beyond evil  not to his sister but maybe in the quest to find the killer

or Ha Ju Won will be prompted to do something beyond evil.. I mean he said he "hates touching hands". He has a thing for cleanlines. So I want to see something  shocking with Dong Sik or Ha Ju Won. One of them beyond evil

Our two male leads serving  acting! Their character  always confronting each other. Its terrific to see their exchange.

As I said, the whole group is suspicious, and they are actually acting suspicious and strange. So I would not be shocked that he is the killer. 

One interesting thing about both the MLs is that they messed up their previous cases big time. Dong Shik got his partner killed, it is still a mystery how it happened since he didn't really tell anyone about it, and got the whole team disbanded because of it. We don't even know what case that was. But he has been suffering with trauma or something similar because of it, since the other day when he was waiting for his ex-colleague from RIU, his legs became stiff suddenly, and he had to take some medicine for it, and to me, it looked like how sometimes people face reactions from trauma. 

At the same it is quite evident that Joo Won messed up big time in a case too, and I think it was his dad who actually buried it. We are yet to know how he messed things up, but he sure was investigating similar cases, where the victims seemed to be illegal immigrants. 

Now to me, it seems like Dong Shik is actually suspicious of some people from the group, the scene following Min Jung's disappearance shows him act suspicious, strange, anxious. He looks strangely at everyone, and to me, it feels like he has some suspects in mind (given if he is not the killer here). While they all seemed to be quite friendly in the previous meetings, things were pretty awkward between them at that time, in my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

20 hours ago, partyon said:

Anyone else who is hoping that it would turn out that Dong Sik is a killer....:?

I can't recall a Korean drama where we would have found out that the lead in the end turned out to be a bad guy. Like a really bad guy.
It would be refreshing for the drama to dare to go down that route. :glasses:

I would love if they would go that way. That would be something new in K-drama.   :love:

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

7 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

As I said, the whole group is suspicious, and they are actually acting suspicious and strange. So I would not be shocked that he is the killer. 

One interesting thing about both the MLs is that they messed up their previous cases big time. Dong Shik got his partner killed, it is still a mystery how it happened since he didn't really tell anyone about it, and got the whole team disbanded because of it. We don't even know what case that was. But he has been suffering with trauma or something similar because of it, since the other day when he was waiting for his ex-colleague from RIU, his legs became stiff suddenly, and he had to take some medicine for it, and to me, it looked like how sometimes people face reactions from trauma. 

I forgot about it. So DS and JW have something in common. That makes the story even more interesting. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

For me sus:

- NFS lady who closed her cardigan. Why was that shown? And being nFS, she would know how to be careful with crime to not reveal and evidence

- inspector Han's dad - they didn't want something to be revealed that's for sure

- Chief Nam.  He was threatening Han in a veiled way not to interfere.  His smile was fake 

- girl butcher.  Although she seemed worried about the recent dead body found.  

- Park Jeong Je- or his mom .  Typical politician types or corrupt cop stereotype.  I think HE was the one who "lost" the file for the girl who got murdered 

- the dad grocery owner.  - not sure maybe due to his past trauma or if he has autism.  Maybe he is the nice guy who turned out to be the psychopath?

- the missing twin sister for 20 years.... - however, how can she murder if her fingertips are gone?

This show is very intriguing!  I like the music as well, the jazzy style seems to weirdly fit the mood of the show.  Hope the OST becomes available on YT.

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

I love you writer and director and actors and editor.. even even the cinematographer and soundman. But really the actors!

I'm clapping my hands for Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo!

Shin Ha Kyun. Daesang please! effing love this episode! The title Smile is so apt and I mean so right to T. that Smile played and acted brilliant! like creepy scary. That laugh creey snd scary. That facial expression creepy and scary. The change so brilliant.. It's so damn good I'm so full of emotion, I'm like Ha Ju Won right now.. I feel his controlled anger  (ready to explode) vibrating through his whole body, like in my body that I want to just choke Dong Sik. That smirk on Ha Ju Won's so fitting as last scene and to end  the episode  Superb.

Okay. Lets set some facts.

Ha Ju Won's bait.. to recreate and find out more about missing  girls, the bait's phone was found on the muddy grassfield.

Ha Ju Won doing his onw investigationg using a bait. Gabe a cloned phone but for got to use clone phone number to to the bait so when the phone was found .. it traced to  Ha Ju Won. The bait called and as instructed, if ever she finds anything, all she needs to to is text the number 1.

Poweful daddy -the next chief commisioner  seething mad because HJW efff! it up.  Daddy doesn't believe in him, doesn't trust him, always has to bail him, even sending Kwon there as special prosector. But really.. it's to keep an eye on Ha Ju Won and  make sure everybdoy doesn't get wint up on evidence because that phone that was found has the handprints of Ha Ju Won....so.. he is gonna be suspect or be suspected.  Ha Ju Won asked to take a leave of absence else daddy explodes and... boy, I pity Ha Ju Won.

Dong Sik even alluded up said  Ha Ju Won could be the killer. .. which is the same as what the daddy is trying to pant Ha Ju Won.. he even asked his dad.. "are you trying to say that I'm copycat killer?" 20 yrs ago he was seven 7 yrs old.. and this is not possible. Dong Sik said it is possible

Now.... Dong Sik.

He creeped me out. The voice over.. 'one more time Dong Sik.. this is what you did, you cut her fingers just like what you did with  Bang Ju Seon.. Is Dong sik doing something without realizing the gravoty of what's he'd done???  Obviously there is trauma.. his legs ache up. I bet this is due to running away from, or trying to get away.

I still think he didn't do anything to Yu Yeon but he did something to  the other girl. 20 years ago.  The exchange with Jung Je  inside the archive room, asking if Dong Sik  did that heious thing to Ming Jung. He didn't answer as he hear sound of the phone.. Ha Ju Won outside the door of archive room and heard the exchange.   Remember Ha Ju Won  already ask from Ep 1 "Did You Kill her"  refering to BJS even to YY.  Dong Sik  never answered that question.  Yes there is an accomplice, somebody knows. The quesion is why? why the MO why the nails. Why the same after 20 years.

Manyang is ripe with suspects everyone watches someone and knows something.

Det. Oh Ji Hwa.....also ask the same thing of Dong Sik. But again he doesn't answer the question.  Ju Won trying to  investigate and ding the evidence on Dong Sik fond a security cam.. with the creepy smile of Dong Sik.. wandering around...the fields. He went to Dong Sik's house wen the shed or was it basement, found smudge of blood surface of tjhe table. Det. Oh Ji Hwa got a warrant of arrest for Dong Sik.. for the  murder of Min Jung.

And agin that end scene! Ha Ju Won's like.. I got that last laugh on you then he effing smirk!

I'm freaking out in good good way about this drama. The exchange words and the scenes  annd confrontation of Dong Sik and Ha Ju Won....well written. 

Shin Ha Kyung acting is daesang worthy. Yeo Jin Goo.. excellent.

This scene..really!

And that smile.. creepy too.. like victory creepy smirk at the end. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

I feel like I have no words to perfectly describe how I feel about this drama. It is like deliciously good but it give me headache just for simply trying to figure out what is happening. It seems like every single line in the script is alluding to a lot of things. :dead:

It was mentioned before that the director said something about all the characters are selfish in a way and they want to achieve their own aim. I tried keeping that in mind while watching EP 3.

Han Ju Won is extremely obsessed with making Lee Dong Shik as the perpetrator. However, there is no solid evidence incriminating Lee Dong Shik as perpetrator, so I really can't understand why he is so obsessed unless he has seen it himself but didn't manage to secure solid evidence. He is capable of lying and concealing facts too if the situation is unfavorable for him. Most importantly, what is exactly his selfish gain in capturing Lee Dong Shik? Simply to proves that Lee Dong Shik is the one who did everything or to divert people attention from something else that might link the cases to him?

Right now I am inclined to believe that someone is trying to paint Lee Dong Shik as the perpetrator. Lee Dong Shik knows that Han Ju Won is onto him and will not give up his suspicions. Well, all of the circumstantial evidences do lead towards him. I feel like Lee Dong Shik knows who is the perpetrator but the reason why he is doing nothing is because he couldn't acquire any solid evidence about it. It is either that or he is trying to protect someone and that someone can possibly be Yu Yeon too. Right now, Yu Yeon's body hasn't been found yet and like what Lee Dong Shik said, scientific investigation during that time was not reliable. For all we know, it might not even be Yu Yeon's fingertips but someone else's who was similar with balsam colored nails. 

Lee Dong Shik knows about that blood spot but he did not completely wash it. He is intentionally leading Han Ju Won to report about it so that he can be captured. While Han Ju Won believing he solved the case, Lee Dong Shik is intricately leading the case into the direction he wants. They are really playing with each other. 

My thoughts all jumbled up and I am just word vomiting right now. For all I know, the writer might throw off my theory again with upcoming episodes. :crazymad:

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

Hi everyone!

Here's my silly theory

HJW helping his dad who can't solve the 20th year murder case because it is so neatly done, and all the person around the suspect is voluntarily doubt the suspect (dongshik) because they think he wont murder anyone.

So HJW and his dad somehow very sure that DS is the murderer but doesn't have evidence, and HJW now is trying to get the evidence so DS can be arrested.

Because the murderer is the same murderer who kill the informant immigrant, they have the victim items, and because he know he is been chased by HJW, he is trying so hard to trap HJW and therefore planted the immigrant phone to where the police searching for minjung with the dog. From what i see, DS who set the trap, that's what makes me still suspect DS for now.

But.. too early to conclude still 3rd eps, hahah, anything is possible :crazymad:

This kdrama is interesting and make me thinking hard hahaha

Let's enjoy playing detective until eps 11+

Edited by Rachmawati Oktavia
  • Like 2
  • Blob 3

So having seen the episodes, once again, things are too similar for Han Ju Won and Lee Dong Shik. While I don't really understand the obsession he has with Lee Dong Shik, literally causing a disrupt in the investigation by trying to move it in the direction of him being the killer, while the arguments he gives can be applied to him too as suspect, and I liked it when Lee Dong Shil did the same, since well, if we were to just see Dong Shik as the suspect, then the same applies to him as he fits the picture he himself created here. 

Now I think there are certain things which actually might be different from what we see. Like the scene where Ju Won was leaving the station and Dong Shik stopped him to thank, bowed in front of him, and laughed for a while. I think, Ju Won is also suffering from something, and there is a high chance that it was Ju Won who actually imagined Dong Shik to be laughing, than Dong Shik actually doing it. I believe it was quite smart work by the writer and extremely great direction, since as I said, we don't know who is who right now. Dong Shik is suspicious and many are suspecting him, but he actually is the guy driving this case right now, as we saw, he willingly left the blood stain there, set up the camera in basement, knowing someone would sneak inside and was not surprised to see Ju Won there, meaning he had already anticipated it. 

Dong Shik might be a substation assistant Inspector here, but he was a good detective in RIU, which means, he is actually a smart guy. Just like @kdramagrandma, I also believe he actually knows or at least has got a fair enough idea who the killer is, but as he said before too, "You can indict a murderer without the body" and we all know that the bodies have been missing. Yu Yeon's body is yet to be found and so is the case with Min Jung's body. At the same time, I feel like the killer is playing with Ju Won too, seeing how conveniently the cloned mobile was found and shifting the suspicion on Ju Won too. For now, Ju Won also is not the innocent naïve guy he portrays he is, we have seen he can lie, and try to manipulate in the situations not favorable to him. 

Given the fact that we came to know even Dong Shik arrived kind of recently to the town, to me feels like both Ju Won and Dong Shik came to the town for the same reason. Now again, as I said, there is a chance that Dong Shik is the real killer and playing everyone, but seeing the way he is leading the investigation in the direction he wants, I think there is a high chance he is doing all this to catch the killer.

Once again, we know Dong Shik's tricks as the substation chief had said when he willingly went as testifier and witness when the first body was found saying, "now that he went himself, said everything he knows, no one can force him to come again to get his statements, as he can simply say he did it once" so there is high chance that he did all this so that he will be out of the suspect list. Now I am not sure, but I don't think they can just tell its Min Jung's murder just by seeing it and testing it out that fast, it is just speculation and when it proves to be wrong when the test results come, then Dong Shik will use this to his advantage in the future. Just think, they emergency arrested him for a blood stain found in his basement, which still needs to be tested. If it turns out to be an animal's one, then well, the investigation team will be in trouble big time for arresting a fellow police man because of a blood stain found in his basement, and they will have problem arresting him again when another suspicion or circumstantial evidence comes up, the higher ups will expect them to bring concrete evidence to get him arrested again, and so he will be kind of free from them for sometime and work on his investigation or just be free (if he is the murder) for sometime. 

What I just don't understand is Ju Won's obsession with Dong Shik. Yes he was the suspect for the case 20 years ago and was found to be innocent, hence freed. But now leading his investigation being sure Dong Shik is the murderer because he was the suspect 20 years ago and nothing else, I think he has been highly unreasonable for now. Of course we are yet to see more of the case he messed up, and we know that the serial murder happening has got 7 victims now, something, that maybe only he and Dong Shik know about, making them return to the town where it all started.

At the same time, for now, we have seen another new character coming in, played by Heo Sung Tae, and whenever I see this dude, I cannot help but feel like he is the evil guy. He does look like a shady dude here, the archives inspector does know about it. Regarding Jung Je, he did do something 20 years ago, maybe he faked about being Dong Shik's alibi back then, since the detective asked him, if he truly believed Dong Shik was innocent back then, why did he do it. Something is not known from the case 20 years ago, and a lot of things are definitely in dark about the case Ju Won messed up. Both these guys smiling at the end of the episode made me wonder, whose smile was the "Smile" the episode's name was named after.  

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

Its a pleasure to watch YJG in this drama.

EvN0PQKVIAMFvPV?format=jpg&name=large

JTBC

This episode was a bit slow and somehow overemphasized.

I think JW has some hidden  motive because I cant understand why he is so 

sure that DS is the killer.

Im a little disappointed that JW is happy because he found the evidence so easily.

He should have been more suspicious.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

So in this town, many things happened 20 years ago...

The killings of the two women 

Dong shik as suspect

han Ju Won as a 7 year old lived with his dad show as assigned there 

Female detective met her ex husband Chairman Lee of JL Construction also during this time 

...now 20 years later...

Dong shik comes.back to town 

Ins. Han comes to town to investigate dong Shik 

chairman Lee comes back to town as well

Then the weird killings happen again.   There's just too much coincidences with the timings and all.

Why is it when JuWon goes to the town to investigate Dong Shik, then that is also the time when :

a) a female corpse was found? - we don't even know how old the corpse is already .m

b) Min Jung got mutilated disappears/was murdered?

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

I need the subs for episode 4 to come out NOW.

God that ending of episode 3... this episode was sublime as the other ones. So many questions. Did Dong Shik really kill her? Somehow I don't think so. Or maybe I'm hoping. 

Questions:

• Why did he bring back the files? He could have just burned them.
  • Why did he install that camera in his basement, he must have expected an unlawful visit - when he watched Ju Won appear, and later when he is arrested, he smiles. Somehow I think it is his bitter, I knew it would happen sooner or later, smile?
  • The way that Ju Won's father can just randomly find out the things happening from NFS etc... is that even possible? NFS is a different organisation.

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

Shin Ha Kyun And Yeo Jin Goo’s Psychological Warfare Takes On A Dangerous Edge In “Beyond Evil”

224d4d5b1ea04482a63d9aa2c193eb0e.jpeg?s=

Feb 27, 2021
by C. Hong

Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo’s psychological battle for the truth is taking on a dangerous edge in “Beyond Evil.”

“Beyond Evil” is a new JTBC drama about two men who are willing to break rules and the law in their pursuit of a serial killer. As they track down the murderer, they ask themselves, “Who is the monster? Is it you? Is it me? Is it us?”

Spoilers

In the last episode, Lee Dong Shik (Shin Ha Kyun) was arrested as a suspect for the kidnapping of Kang Min Jung (Kang Min Ah). Lee Dong Shik showed some suspicious actions after Kang Min Jung’s disappearance, and Han Joo Won (Yeo Jin Goo) found some evidence in the form of dried blood in his basement.

However, the incident is more mysterious than it appears on the surface. Lee Dong Shik was spotted watching Han Joo Won investigate his basement through a CCTV camera. Even as he was arrested and taken to the police station, he showed a frightening smile as if this was part of his plan all along.

The stills for the upcoming episode show a huge difference in tension between the two main characters. Even though Lee Dong Shik is being questioned by the police, he looks as relaxed as if he was chilling at home. No matter what sharp questions are thrown at him, he never loses his easy smile that gives away nothing of his true feelings.

Han Joo Won observes the questioning with a cold look on his face, displeased with the turn things are taken. In another still, Lee Dong Shik’s eyes are red with an unknown emotion, while Han Joo Won holds a gun to his head in anger.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1456721wpp/shin-ha-kyun-and-yeo-jin-goos-psychological-warfare-takes-on-a-dangerous-edge-in-beyond-evil

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Erghhhh. I couldn't wait and just end up watching EP 4 raw. This is just word vomiting because I need to get this out of my head before I go to sleep.

Can Han Ju Won stop being so cocky and so above the law like he is the one and only righteous police officer there when he actively conceal all his involvement that might cause unfavorable situation for him if it was exposed? Only Lee Dong Shik who keeps mentioning about the cloned handphone and the text messages. Having father as a higher up person really boost his ego isn't it? Kudos to Yeo Jin Goo for making me hate his character so much which I thought I can never capable to because I just simply love Yeo Jin Goo:heartxoxo:

Lee Dong Shik laugh doesn't make me feel as creepy as before. I couldn't help thinking that manic laugh is not about him enjoying the situation but a total opposite of that. He is under extreme stress, and can never get out from his traumatic experience when he was interrogated 20 years back, and now the same thing repeating, people starts suspecting him again and he couldn't help feeling the hopelessness and ridiculousness of the situation he is currently in. I know that I do that sometimes, especially when I am under extreme stress I just start laughing out of nowhere and people around me thought I am weird for enjoying the situation when I am actually not.

Done word vomiting, I am going to sleep now and will be back after I am done watching with English subtitles. For all I know, my opinion might change after tomorrow. :lazyandfart:

• Like 4
  • Blob 5