[Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물

0ly40

HAHHAHA. I guess a lot of people doesn't want Dong Shik to have DID. I have to admit, Dong Shik really is a big mystery and I don't know which version of him I want him to be in the end. I am not sure which part I want to emphasize in my post so I will just rant away. Brace yourself. 

Lee Dong Shik

Spoiler

Everything about him is a mystery. What we have been told, he was branded as troublemaker when he was young and always have been compared with his younger twin sister who excel in her studies and behaving really well. He was a suspect but we don't know yet why he was found not guilty. Maybe he had solid alibi or someone testified for him? The Chief pretty convince it was not him.

20 years later, he is an assistant inspector at Manyang Substation. Before that, he was an inspector in RIU which I assume quite an elite unit (ref. Tell Me What You Saw). So he must has the brain and capabilities to be in that unit. However, he got demoted after a member of his team died and he couldn't explain why. The whole team dissolved and he was transferred to Manyang substation. 

I think he is on medication. For what, I have no idea. I just think it is nerve related because both time I saw him taking pills, he was standing still and he hits his thighs like maybe it is cramping. This is also why I thought of him having DID/mental health issue plus maybe the dead of his team member was a trigger.

He got a thing with law where he memorized a lot of it. He always use law to justify his action. I was on alert when they were talking at the substation where a murder suspect is released. He knows that a murderer cannot be indicted if there is no dead body. I had a flashback about I Remember You during this scene. As of now, Yu Yeon's body has never been found and only her fingers. I really want to know if they found any fingers for other victims esp Bang Ju Seon because if there is not, the MO is a little bit different between Yu Yeon and Bang Ju Seon's cases. Is it because Yu Yeon was a special case? Or Yu Yeon is actually not dead and just her fingers were severed.

He has a secret room in the basement where the missing file case was pasted all over the wall including various missing person posters. The missing people posters really piqued my interest. Did he found any similarities between those people and his sister? Is he aware or not that murders with the same MO as Bang Ju Seon's are happening? Because nothing in their gathering showed that anyone else knows. Now he knows that Han Ju Won was investigating cases before being transferred, he noticed that Ju Won recognized the skeleton, and he knows that Ju Won is interested in him because he was a murder suspect then, he might conclude that serial killing with the same MO as Bang Ju Seon is happening. 

Lastly, what exactly happened to Min Jung? According to the timeline, Min Jung sneak out to go back home and while walking, she received a call from Dong Shik. While on call, she saw someone and she smiles, where it must be someone she knows and familiar with. If anything happened then, Dong Shik must have heard something. Dong Shik arrived at the dinner later than everyone else and he seems anxious and keep glancing at everyone there like he is being suspicious with everyone. We also don't know exactly what he did on his way back home because he took a lot of time before arriving home where Park Jeong Je was waiting for him. There is a possibility he was looking for Min Jung.

However, what I really don't understand is the very last scene and how did it fit the timeline. If that did happened, wouldn't Han Ju Won noticed that Dong Shik leave his home early in the morning? Based on the amount of leaves on his car, it seems like he was waiting there for hours before he saw Dong Shik walking out from his house. Now I want to know if we are going to find Min Jung's body or not. If yes, it is going to be similar like Bang Ju Seon's case, if not, Yu Yeon's.

Han Ju Won

Spoiler

Tbh, I was perplexed as to how those cases ended up on him while he was in Foreign Affairs Division until they mention about those victims were immigrant. Something must have happened when he was investigating that he ended up needing to transfer somewhere else and lie low. 

He did staked out to observe Lee Dong Shik months before he got transferred. While investigating, he met Victim 5 and ask something to her about people in the picture he took. However, looking at the way she is pointing on the picture, I don't think it was Dong Shik because he was in the middle but her finger pointing towards the edge where the picture seems blurry. I keep thinking the whole sting operation he was telling his father is real and when his informer aka Victim 5 went missing, that was when problems brewing.   

Based on the initial findings of the NFS, she most probably died around 8 months prior. Someone must have notice that she met with Han Ju Won who was investigating the cases and murder her. Maybe she was the broker to introduce the other victims to the murderer? It's just my wild guess but she must have connection or know something about the other murders that she ended up being murdered. 

I think he is reconsidering Dong Shik involvement with the murders because what he has seen and heard doesn't seem to align with his suspicion. Especially now that he saw Dong Shik cried when they saw Min Jung's fingers.

What I want to know about him right now, what exactly happened during 9 months before he transferred to Manyang.

Another point I missed. When he met Prosecutor Kwon aka his former tutor, Kwon said that he will help Ju Won if Ju Won fix something and bring it to him. What exactly needs fixing and why Ju Won thinking that he is the one helping Kwon instead?

Park Jung Je

Spoiler

Tbh, he is the most suspicious one right now. Something about him feels off especially the scene between him and Ju Won. At first, I thought he is police officer who is active on field but he is actually dealing in admin where his job focus on archiving reports. The fact that he is the one responsible with archiving reports, I couldn't help thinking that he knows about those cases Ju Won is investigating. I am waiting for more of his backstory especially on how did he became friend with Dong Shik. 

Yoo Jae Yi

Spoiler

A character who always blend in the background and I am curious about her. Like Dong Shik, she knows about all the people in town and their connections. Her shop always being use as their gathering place and she is also very alert and observant. She noticed Han Ju Won's car and correctly assume he is from the substation. I want to know how she starts being among them and more backstory of her. It seems like she has her own unresolved resentment. 

Another thing is, I want to know who they keep referring as someone is always watching. Are they referring to town people or specifically someone among them. I can't wait for next episodes to find more clues. 

Edited by kdramagrandma
another point on Han Ju Won
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

I finally caught up with the first 2 episodes.

It was a solid start, exactly what I would expect of a psychological thriller!

At this point in time, I feel like everyone is suspicious. :D I am hoping that one of the leads would turn out to be bad guys in the end, but the likelihood of that happening is close to 0% :D

I just love the acting! Great delivery by both leads. Can't wait for next week.

Oh, and I put up a poll. Have fun voting!  :glasses:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

I really do love the casting of Lee Do-Hyun as Shin Ha Kyun's younger part. At first I don't see it, but yes that last gif, that smirk. 

While SHK's smile is the best part, I do enjoy this series so far. It has me on the edge of my seat, and every character has my interest - because I don't know who the serial killer is. This has a lot of potential.

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

She smiled. Obviously it's some she knows. She knows the killer. If it's not Dong Sik. It's someone Dong Sik would  knows.

cr:

Euum9qMXIAEWlhN?format=jpg&name=small

And Min Jung knows them. Everyone in that town knows something and not saying anything.

Question is.. where is Yu Yeon. She disappeared. A teenager Dong Sik even told police  YY always used a  balsam on her nails.

As for Ju Won.. if there's a monster inside of him..

he was explaining how  the killer would have done in it. The copycat killer

cr: albaneylaaO

Euuihf4WYAEMpY_?format=jpg&name=small

• Shocked 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 4

New dramas premiered but the one that stands out is Beyond Evil.

From execution, excellent acting, cinematography, even the music. All these at stil just episode two. Yes this is pyschological murder myster but the visual, cinematography was not forgotten. It's creepy and eerie. The use of fields gives that eerie goodness of pyscho murder drama.

The quest to find out who is the Monster.

Spoiler

The flower guy.. aka dopted son or....

If it's a woma's hand....

It's possible.....

**all twt post credit to owners**

• Like 1
  • Blob 4

There's a few possibilities.

- a copycat. The one who killed years ago and the one from the recent cases  are two different people. 

- MJ knew the killer, so probably someone that has been introduced to us? Is it YJY the butcher? Park Jung Je? 

- Yu Yeon's disappearance. And is she really innocent?

- if DS is indeed the killer in the past, I'm really curious how the writer is going to do it. 

I don't think they will take the DID route. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 3

The least you expect. The nicest one always turns out to be the one.

But then.. the guitar pick of Dong Sik was found near near the victim. I'm thinking, Dong sik heard the screams? drop the guitar pick trying to run to save the girl or trying to flee the evil monster.. whoever is the killer. Or trying to run after the kill.

Eu4ckeLVkAEwubJ?format=jpg&name=small

sc cr : lona twt

• Insightful 2
  • Blob 3

This was fantastic! Mind blowing! And that amazing cinematography. Not to mention the really creepy ML Dong Sik! I cannot figure him out yet. Is he an eccentric genius or a complete nutcase / psycho. Tremendously enjoying the drama. Congratulations to the entire team! Looking forward to the story.

This kind of reminds me of When Camilla Blooms... the cinematography was great then. But they lost the plot a little. The thriller/ mystery was kind of disappointing. Perhaps it was also a love story.  Hopefully, we don't get diverted here.

P.S. I don't think DS is a psycho/ serial killer. Just a gut feeling. :tears:

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

Anyone else who is hoping that it would turn out that Dong Sik is a killer....:?

I can't recall a Korean drama where we would have found out that the lead in the end turned out to be a bad guy. Like a really bad guy.
It would be refreshing for the drama to dare to go down that route. :glasses:

I had high hopes for Flower of Evil, but no. :cry:

Some of the most memorable movies for me have been the ones where you were rooting for the main character the whole time and in the last scenes, we found out that he/she actually was the villain. :partyblob:

I'm talking about movies like:

SPOILER

Spoiler

A Kevin Spacey movie

SPOILER

Spoiler

The Usual Suspects when it's revealed that Keyser Soze was the real baddie .
I have to admit that there was a clue he was faking his arm deformity quite early on and I happened to spot it so the surprise factor wasn't as big as I had hoped:joy:

A Kevin Costner movie

SPOILER

Spoiler

No Way Out - it was revealed he was a double agent in almost the last scene....

This reveal came out of the blue - so unexpected....

• Like 2
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, partyon said:

Anyone else who is hoping that it would turn out that Dong Sik is a killer....:?

I do hope it goes that way, but, I don't think it will go that way. The town is small, and as @jongski pointed out, the way Min Jung smiled, it looked like she knew that person. Anyway, as I said, the town is small, and we have seen most of the major characters, so it definitely is someone from the group. 

Same as you, I had high hopes for FOE, and would have been less disappointed, if the ML was shown to be a bit evil, and not completely the good guy, and I feel like here there is a chance we face the same scenario. But as I said, for now the writers have kept things in a way that it could go the other way. Dong Shik is too good and kind to others, that it might make us and the characters in drama doubt that he is the killer, or at least want him to be not, and would love it if they show him to be the killer. 

But as for now, I don't think he is the killer. My doubts are on Park Jung Je and Yoo Jae Yi. I would actually love it, if Jae Yi is the killer, since I don't remember if Kdramas had female serial killer, Criminal minds did have, so did Tunnel and Signal, but they were villains of the side stories, and not the main villain and ultimate baddie. Park Jung Je well, is acting suspicious too, at least the way he is, and smiles all the time. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

My doubts are on Park Jung Je and Yoo Jae Yi.

And don't forget the adopt son.. aka flower boy Jin Mook.

Dong Sik must have done something beyond evil  not to his sister but maybe in the quest to find the killer

or Ha Ju Won will be prompted to do something beyond evil.. I mean he said he "hates touching hands". He has a thing for cleanlines. So I want to see something  shocking with Dong Sik or Ha Ju Won. One of them beyond evil

Our two male leads serving  acting! Their character  always confronting each other. Its terrific to see their exchange.

ctw post ctto

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

https://zapzee.net/2021/02/25/beyond-evil-lets-review-the-hints-from-the-first-two-episodes/

‘Beyond Evil’: Let’s Review the Hints from the First Two Episodes

by krishkim | images: JTBC

D184B855-E4CF-4B99-AAE9-FD275BFBC8FA.jpg

JTBC’s Beyond Evil is receiving favorable reviews for its delicate production that captures the character’s complex emotions, well-structured script, and actors’ enthusiastic performances. Beyond Evil is a mystery thriller about a detailed psychological warfare between police officer Lee Dong Sik (Shin Ha Kyun) and elite detective Han Joo Won (Yeoh Jin Goo) as they chase after a murder similar to an unsolved case 20 years ago, and the intertwined stories of people around them. Before we start tracking the truth in earnest, we will review the hints given to us in the first two episodes. 

Shocking ending in episode 2. The murderer is Shin Ha Kyun?!

0C49280D-84F5-4345-9C19-368938A3E08B.jpg

The very beginning of the incident dates back to that day 20 years ago when Lee Dong Sik was a 20-year-old man. An employee of Dong Sik’s favorite cafe is found dead, and the younger sister of twins disappeared without a trace, only leaving 10 fingers behind. And Dong Sik was picked out as a prime suspect when his guitar pick was found by the dead body. What happened to Lee Dong Sik that day? In addition, viewers fell in shock when Lee Dong Sik was seen putting down the severed fingers, believed to be those of Kang Min Jung, who he cherished like his own nephew, as if he were putting them on display in front of a market. From his considerate side of taking care of his neighbors to being branded a prime suspect of cold cases from 20 years ago, and to the recent Kang Min Jung case, his unpredictable bizarre behavior has thrown viewers into the world of chaos.

Double-sidedness of elite detective Yeo Jin Goo

944A57B0-8CE2-4AAA-AD5E-CF4A278811A0.jpg

After Han Joo Won was sent to Manyang, a skeleton of a body that was murdered the same way from the 20 years old murder case was found. And the body was identified as Lee Geum Hwa, who Han used as bait in his sting operation. The body was found as if the killer knew when Han would come to Manyang. Even after realizing that the victim is Lee Geum Hwa, Han decided to keep the knowledge to himself. He, who snapped at Lee Dong Sik,  shows a double-sidedness to the death of a woman he has put in danger. Why is he after this case, and how is he connected to Lee Geum Hwa’s death?

Shady characters

Spoiler

CEF0B3D8-758C-43CF-AAEE-2884C2F47AC1.jpg

To Han Joo Won, who questions the whereabouts of the missing report from 20 years ago, Park Jung Je of the Moonju Police Station only gives vain excuses. There is no way to know his thoughts as he continued to doubt and defend his friend Lee Dong Sik. Chief constable Nam Sang Bae put the brakes on Han Joo Won, who is chasing the case from 20 years ago. Nam is the one who branded 20-year-old Lee Dong Sik as the prime suspect of the murder case, and the sight of him silencing Han when he questions the relationship between the two only raises more questions. On top of that, Han Joo Won’s father, Han Ki Hwan, who stopped investigating the case 20 years ago, and councilor Do Hae Won, who was bent on developing a new city under the catchphrase “City without Crime,” also showed unusual presence.

The production team shared, “The twist involving Lee Dong Sik is just a beginning. The compelling chase after the truth where no one can be trusted will be unfolded in earnest. Please wait and see what the incident that shook Manyang with the same method as 20 years ago means and whether Lee Dong Sik is the real culprit.”

Source (1)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1