[Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물

0ly40

Yeo Jin Goo And Shin Ha Kyun Go From Cheerful Smiles To Icy Glares In Split Second Behind The Scenes Of “Beyond Evil”

efddbd14ad014bed899c5cd093d18745.jpeg?s=

Mar 11, 2021
by E. Cha

JTBC’s “Beyond Evil” has shared a new glimpse of its stars behind the scenes of filming!

“Beyond Evil” is a dark psychological thriller about two men who are willing to break rules and the law in their pursuit of a serial killer. As they attempt to track down the murderer, they must repeatedly ask themselves, “Who is the monster? Is it you? Is it me? Is it us?”

Yeo Jin Goo stars as Han Joo Won, an elite detective who transfers to the local police station in the quiet village of Manyang, while Shin Ha Kyun plays Lee Dong Shik, a former detective who has been demoted to doing menial work in his hometown.

In newly released behind-the-scenes photos from the set, Yeo Jin Goo and Shin Ha Kyun display their strong teamwork as they passionately plunge headfirst into their characters. Between takes, the two stars sport bright, playful smiles as they briefly step out of their roles—but the moment the cameras start rolling, the intensity of their gazes instantly returns as they skillfully portray the tension between their characters.

The photos also capture the actors’ remarkable focus and dedication to their craft, showing the two leads—and their co-star Lee Gyu Hee, who plays the role of Kang Jin Mook—concentrating as they carefully monitor their own performances. Yeo Jin Goo even nervously bites his lip as he watches one particular take.

However, during the break that follows, all that tension melts away as Yeo Jin Goo cracks a cheerful grin while chatting with Lee Gyu Hee and Shin Ha Kyun.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1458659wpp/yeo-jin-goo-and-shin-ha-kyun-go-from-cheerful-smiles-to-icy-glares-in-split-second-behind-the-scenes-of-beyond-evil

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

On 3/9/2021 at 2:05 PM, rocher22 said:

Its sad how DS' life changed after that event from the past.

He is lonely, I dont think he ever had a girlfriend.

I think Juwon was transferred to Munju police station at the right time.

They both need stop playing mental games and to start cooperating.

All members of the police station are protecting each other but they failed to protect the victims.

Im most sorry for Min Jung. Nobody helped her.

Im a little disappointed If Dongsik  suspected JM for a long time because DS is the one who always brought MJ

home.

The fact that he replied "He became a police officer to not be wrongfully blamed, and to not blame anyone wrongfully" in the preview when Oh Ji Hun (I guess) asked him that question, explains how much he went through after that event. I think this is one of the reasons that he just doesn't want to jump to conclusions without evidence, despite having some serious suspicions on Jin Mook. I think he is pretty sure that he is the killer, but knows it will be challenging to move recklessly without evidence.

I believe after this week's episodes (or during them), Joo Won and Dong Shik will start working together. I think Dong Shik is hesitant due to his trauma, while Joo Won is still not trusting him, but soon he will realize in order to solve the case, he got to trust his partner. I am looking forward to seeing them work together. 

On 3/8/2021 at 3:51 AM, bedifferent said:

We have been shown the suspected killer.  How about motive?  Why kill all these women?  What is the common link between female illegal immigrants and Min Jung/Bang Ju Seon/Yu Yeon?  Some of the women are not in Manyang, how did Jin Mook leave town and when (if he ever did)?  This is puzzling for me, why I feel there is more than 1 killer... Jung Je or someone else for instance.

I think there is a high chance that we have 2 killers there. Maybe Jin Mook saw a murder happen in a similar way (cutting of fingers) and use it as an inspiration and end up as a copy-cat murderer. Something triggered him to murder like that (cutting the fingers). We all know that he does not like manicured nails seeing how Min Jung said the same. 

So there is a high chance we have 2 killers, and Dong Shik could have been after that killer in his previous case where he lost a partner. The MO of the murders are not proved to be the same till now. You see, Bang Ju Seon's body was found, while Yu Yeon's body was not. Bang Ju Seon was also not buried. The illegal immigrant who Joo Won had used in his sting operation was found with the same MO as Bang Ji Seon. Their finger tips were not found by anyone, despite Bang Ju Seon having a family living in the same town. 

But the finger tips were found in the case of Yu Yeon and Min Jung, and interestingly by the looks of preview, Min Jung's fingers were also found by Dong Shik in his basement, which explains the little amount of blood there. Which might also explain that Dong Shik cleaned up the basement to clean up the trace of someone else having visited his basement rather than the blood, and that is because he does not want the investigation to be focused on the one guy (preferably Jin Mook), since without evidence, he could easily get away. I think Dong Shik wants to get Jin Mook in one final move and not let him know that he is suspecting him before that, since it will ruin the chances of him getting him. 

Talking about the illegal immigrant murders, I highly suspect Lee Chang Jin. This dude speaks Russian whenever he feels like, which means he is kind of associated to that place, or knows people from there. Jung Je also knows something about this guy, since he asked his mom to stay away from him. So I think if there is a second killer he could be the one. I don't think we would see Heo Sung Tae only acting as a shady dude wanting to do redevelopment. There is more to his character here, and he wants the case to be buried too, even though it is for the sake of redevelopment, but we never know what his intentions are here.  Trafficking could be happening by him too, but we do know that there bodies found of the illegal immigrants with the MO similar to that of Bang Ju Seon and one who Joo Won sent in Sting operation. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

22 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I think there is a high chance that we have 2 killers there. Maybe Jin Mook saw a murder happen in a similar way (cutting of fingers) and use it as an inspiration and end up as a copy-cat murderer. Something triggered him to murder like that (cutting the fingers). We all know that he does not like manicured nails seeing how Min Jung said the same. 

@Sleepy Owl You think the Chang Jin, the Chief Han, and the council woman knows something 20 years ago? And also the dashcam evidence when Ji Hoon was walking and then he saw Ming Jung and Jung Je meeting,  the chairman has it. How'd he obtain that?  20 years ago I think Don Sik heard screams so running away and drop his guitar pick or run trying to catch the killer?

cr:@

Btw, the director for this drama was the  director of Moments of 18 from JTBC as wll and  I like that drama.  We laud good directing and writing as well and good cinematography and editing.  You know that resturant scene when camera was on Dong Sik.. then pan to Jin Mook staring from the ouside of the butcher shop. That was superb.

cr:@

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Why do I feel that exposing Jin Mook's crime is merely the tip of the iceberg? 

I'm so glad someone trusted Dong Shik. Really like Jae Yi and glad she wasn't harmed.

Can't wait for tonight's episode. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

@htk9207

RE: Jin Mook's crime is merely the tip of the iceberg?
I feel the same. Because at the rate its going, the series could just end at EP8. Culprit has been found. Justice serve. Done deal.

I'm guessing Jin Mook confesses crime but not necessarily killing ML's sister. So there's still a remaining mystery and it connects to the politician, business and chief police.

Still, though I wonder what's the next hook. The first one was Jin Mook's daughter is murdered. So I guess another murder will take place.

============

RE: Jin Mook implicating himself
This is weak writing for me.

Why would Jin Mook try to reveal that he has a memento from his previous murder?
This just cements Jae Yi's doubt. For ML, we already know its final. For Jae Yi, she just believed ML's words. No clear evidence that Jin Mook killed her mother.

Edited by BT_
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

I felt the adrenaline watching  episode 7.

Thank God that Jae Yi is alive. When Kang Jin-Mook received the second message I thought that she might be the one who send it. I thought that she saw Dong Sik and she wanted to protect him, to not be a suspect. I like how close they are, how she totally trust Dong Sik. 

I think Kang Jin-Mook made a mistake when he decided to threaten Jae yi, revealing pieces of evidence from the last victims. I am glad that monster was caught but being caught so early it means there is another killer. I hope they will find evidence to put him in jail for a long time. It was sinister to see him how he disimulate a mental disability to hide his evilness. I wonder if Dong sik`s sister was murder by someone else. Maybe Kang Jin Mook was a copycat killer. We`ll see.

I am glad that we found out what happened with Dong Sik`s former partner. He had a personal motive to catch Song Ji Ho.  I understand his pain and frustration but in the same time he was a vulnerability for the case. He made a mistake and he was killed by the person he suposed to catch. Dong Shik felt the same way but he knew that it is important to find solid evidence to put the killer in jail.

• Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, BT_ said:

@htk9207

RE: Jin Mook's crime is merely the tip of the iceberg?
I feel the same. Because at the rate its going, the series could just end at EP8. Culprit has been found. Justice serve. Done deal.

I'm guessing Jin Mook confesses crime but not necessarily killing ML's sister. So there's still a remaining mystery and it connects to the politician, business and chief police.

Still, though I wonder what's the next hook. The first one was Jin Mook's daughter is murdered. So I guess another murder will take place.

============

Why would Jin Mook try to reveal that he has a memento from his previous murder?
This just cements Jae Yi's doubt. For ML, we already know its final. For Jae Yi, she just believed ML's words. No clear evidence that Jin Mook killed her mother.

I think clear evidence about JM kill JY mother might be in eps 8, and i agree, there will be still mystery for some murder, and JM only mimic the original serial murder. So it will be still enough to continue up to 16 eps hahahah.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

@larus I also felt the adrenaline while watching the 7th episode, the pace was too good, things were happening fast, and the only thing I was too scared was, seeing Jae Yi killed. I also got scared when I saw Jung Je there, and was relieved when I saw the police car lights behind him.

Coming back to the episode, its good to see that they showed Dong Shik's flashback and we saw how his partner was killed, and how it actually affected him. That was one of the reasons for Dong Shik not make a reckless decision even after knowing and being sure that Jin Mook had killed Min Jung. At the same time, as you said, I also loved the fact that Jae Yi trusts him. I think among everyone around him, she is the only one who has been fully trusting him. Even when he was arrested, Jung Je and Ji Hwa had serious doubts and suspicion on him, but Jae Yi even at that time was sure that he is innocent. 

Not sure, what went through Jin Mook's mind, making a move like that and revealing he is the killer. Did he actually arrive to kill Jae Yi, and her smart move of saying, Dong Shik will be visiting soon, made him leave early. But yeah, even I don't understand why he had to make a move like that, where everything would point at her, and he didn't even seem to want to go there, actually, as we saw him at home. One thing I am still sure about is the fact that Jin Mook knows who the other killer is, or at least witnessed the murder happening, which triggered him to go for it. 

Would be interesting to see how things unfold. This definitely is not a legal drama, so I am sure we won't be seeing the rest of the drama dealing with them trying to find the evidence, at least I hope it won't go that way, and we have a second killer moving around. 

I also liked the fact that Jung Je arrived and got himself locked up so that Oh Ji Hun would be freed, since if there was a last person Min Jung, it was him. At the same time, I loved the fact that Dong Shik said to him, he knows he is not the killer, since well, not only because he trusts him, but also because he knew who the killer was, and wanted Jung Je to know that there is at least one person who trusts in him not being the killer. I really hope though, he is not the actual killer, now that the second killer theory is about to become real :sweats:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

4 hours ago, BT_ said:

Maybe Episode 8 will provide more insight on this;  I think it's weak writing but also kind of get Jin-Mook.  Like he wanted Jae Yi to know that it is him, to taunt her, because he thinks nobody can touch him. I think he thinks he's smarter than everyone else, fooling them all of these years, making everyone pity him. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, htk9207 said:

Why do I feel that exposing Jin Mook's crime is merely the tip of the iceberg? 

I'm so glad someone trusted Dong Shik. Really like Jae Yi and glad she wasn't harmed.

Can't wait for tonight's episode. 

Yeah, I feel the same as well, there is going to be more for sure. I am gla Jae Yi is okay to.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

MJ planned his arrest very neatly. 

I dont know if he decided it himself or someone ordered him...

I think MJ felt the urge to kill JY but refrained.

I love the scene between DS and JY.  She's smart but it was stupid when she went alone 

to that place from the message.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

ON EPISODE 8

I guess my hunch was right.
1) Jin Mook confesses crime but not necessarily killing ML's sister.
2) Another murder will took place as hook. (Didn't know it would be the killer though but its logical. He has already served his purpose. So there's no point in him  staying)

The final boss will probably the politician, businessman and the chief police. haha

Overall, EP8 is borderline filler. We do have decent interaction but there's really no significant additional plot point presented, except the cliff hanger.

Some revisionist wishful thinking:
I was thinking that Jin Mook will leverage his knowledge on ML putting fingers as a blackmail.
I mean he already spent 20 years looking for his wife. It would have been consistent for him to demand to actually see his wife. This puts ML in a tight spot. Nice conflict since they ML and SML were clearly breaking law by fabricating documents.

Then while Jin Mook is in jail. Another murder will take place. This means more confusion. And places Jin Mook as a key person uncovering the original murder. Then when he is about to spill, he is . . . murdered.

Or something like that.

====================================

RE: Jin Mook unnecessarily implicating himself by giving a memento to Jae Yi . . . to be explained in EP8

@Rachmawati Oktavia @qynn

Yea. Unfortunately, it wasn't explained in EP8. I doubt it will be explained in further episode.
It's a bit a let down. It's not a major plot point per se since ML already knows he is the killer but still it would have been solid if he was consistent althroughout.

RE: "MJ planned his arrest very neatly."
@rocher22
Sorry I don't quite follow this
How did you conclude? He was trying to get away even at the last minute (i.e. moving her daughter's body outside their house.)

Edited by BT_
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, BT_ said:

Sorry I don't quite follow this
How did you conclude? He was trying to get away even at the last minute (i.e. moving her daughter's body outside their house.)

It seemed to me like he wanted to be caught.

Otherwise, it would be logical if he first removed her body and only then went to JY.

Although, maybe he was just arrogant. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

I don't quite follow why Joo Won wants to arrest Dong Shik. 

Is it because a) he still believes DS to be a murderer (of his sister)? Or because b) he messed up the crime scene by putting the fingers in display and taking/using the phone?

Also I wonder whether DS knew about Jin Mook many years ago. Since it's a bit heartbreaking that he let Min Jung wander into that danger. then again legally Min Jung was Jin Mook's daughter. But if she's so creeped out, she should have stayed in Seoul or asked to live with DS. 

Once again the Councilwoman.... is annoying. The mother/son conflict is annoying. Neither listens to the other. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1