[Movie] Concrete Utopia, 콘크리트 유토피아 - Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young

Ephoenix

• ferily changed the title to [Upcoming Movie 2023] Concrete Utopia, 콘크리트 유토피아 - Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young
  • 6 months later...

January 21 , 2023.

One of the most anticipated movies in 2023. 

Screenshot_2023-01-21_at_11.57.05_AM.png

Starring: Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young and Park Ji Hoo

Synopsis: Concrete Utopia follows a group of survivors flocking to the Hwang Goong apartment, the only building that remains intact in an earthquake-ravaged Seoul.  

With the success of recently released webtoon-based dramas, viewers are wondering if the momentum will continue with webtoon-based movies. The upcoming show is based on Kim Soong Nyung’s popular webtoon and shares the same worldview as dramas Pleasant Bullying and Concrete Market (literal title) as well as Ma Dong Seok’s movie Wilderness (literal title).

Source: https://zapzee.net/2023/01/20/pick-the-10-most-anticipated-korean-movies-of-2023/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

February 8, 2023

The poster for the movie  "Concrete Utopia" is introduced! 

Screenshot_2023-02-08_at_3.02.43_PM.png

Source:  IG of lee Byung Hun 

Actor Lee Byung-hun introduced overseas posters of the movie "Concrete Utopia" (director Um Tae-hwa).

On the 7th, Lee Byung-hun posted an overseas poster of 'Concrete Utopia' along with the article '#Concrete Utopia #CONCRETEUTOPIA'.

"Concrete Utopia," starring Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, and Park Bo-young, is the only remaining palace apartment in Seoul that has been devastated by the earthquake, and is a disaster thriller that starts with survivors gathering.

In the movie, Lee Byung-hun demonstrates his strong presence as leader Young-tak, who does not hesitate to take any risks to protect his apartment from outsiders.

In the poster released, the VFX (visual special effect), which vividly expresses the ruined Seoul, is also stands out. VFX of "Concrete Utopia" will be joined by Engine Visual Wave, a VFX affiliate of content media group NEW, to showcase delicate technology and help audiences immerse themselves.

"Concrete Utopia," which finished filming in 2021, is waiting for its release this year.

In addition to "Concrete Utopia," Lee Byung-hun meets the public through various works such as the movie "The Match" released on Netflix.

Source: https://www.xportsnews.com/article/1685436 

• Like 2

June 20, 2023

CHARACTER STILL CUTS OF LEE BYUNG HUN, PARK SEO JOON, PARK BO YOUNG, KIM SUN YOUNG< PARK JI HOO AND KIM DO YOON FOR CONCRETE UTOPIA ARE FINALLY RELEASED. 

DD87-EE84-9-ED8-4-D1-A-8-BC1-CBBB70-D6-C

Spoiler

B3044411-66-CB-4596-A277-122511139-F5-B.

Thank you, @serenilmauve for the heads up about the updates. I finally am back and updated the main profile and will start updating the news as well. After such a long wait, the day of press con has finally arrived. I am super super excited and looking forward to it. :heart:

@Anjalifairy The day of press con has finally arrived, and me too. I hope you all have been well. :D  

The much awaited press con of Concete Utopia is happening as I am typing this….. they all look super cool but i just want to drop this here. I love this pic so much! :luvarrow:

7-DA79-E71-2045-4264-9-A07-B40-F1200-AD7

Press Conference for the movie "Concrete Utopia" 

Screenshot_2023-06-21_at_5.32.07_PM.png

Actors Lee Byung-hun, Park Bo-young and Park Seo-joon pose at a production presentation for the movie "Concrete Utopia" (director Um Tae-hwa) at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University Entrance in Gwangjin-gu, Seoul on the morning of the 21st.

The disaster drama "Concrete Utopia," which will begin with survivors gathering in Seoul, the only remaining palace apartment in the country that was devastated by the earthquake, is scheduled to be released in August. Led by actor Lee Byung-hun, "Concrete Utopia" will unfold. He was confident that "Concrete Utopia" would provide differentiated fun from existing disaster movies.

A production briefing session for the movie "Concrete Utopia" was held at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University Entrance in Gwangjin-gu, Seoul on the 21st. Director Um Tae-hwa, Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, Park Bo-young, Kim Sun-young, Park Ji-hoo, and Kim Do-yoon attended the meeting and talked about various things.

"Concrete Utopia" is a disaster drama about Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake, and it is the only remaining palace apartment that begins with survivors gathering.

What if our apartment survives after the great earthquake that engulfed the world? "Concrete Utopia," which starts with the Iranian imagination, will provide differentiated fun from existing disaster movies through its original setting that a peaceful and precious space apartment for our family becomes the only refuge in the world.

Director Um Tae-hwa said, "It's been seven years since I released a movie, and it's a new feeling." "Concrete Utopia" is a new adaptation based on the second part of "Cheerful Neighborhood" of Kim Soo-nyung's popular webtoon "Cheerful Bullying," which has been well-received since its serialization in 2014. He said, "It was a setting that one apartment did not collapse in a state where all of them collapsed due to a major earthquake, but the point that felt different from the existing disaster movies was that the background was the apartment. "I was born and raised in an apartment, and it is a familiar and familiar space for Koreans, so I adapted it while imagining what will happen in extreme situations," he said. "It's also a work where I can choose and see people similar to me and people I will empathize with."

"Concrete Utopia" has built an overwhelming casting lineup with the addition of actors with personality and charm, including Kim Sun-young, Park Ji-hoo and Kim Do-yoon, as well as a fresh meeting of Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young. Director Um Tae-hwa said, "I thought casting actor Lee Byung-hun would create faith in other actors. When everyone said they were going to appear, I was surprised, and I thought, "It's amazing," he said. "I remember monitoring with a pounding heart when the actors were caught on one screen." 

Screenshot_2023-06-21_at_5.32.23_PM.png

Lee Byung-hun, who played the role of 'Yeongtak', the representative of the residents of the Imperial Palace Apartment, said that 'Concrete Utopia' cannot be limited to a disaster movie. He said, "If it's a normal disaster movie, most of the movies are about disasters and disasters are the main characters until the end of the movie, but 'Concrete Utopia' is different." "It is a human, black comedy that focuses on how disasters occur, how people endure, how they communicate with each other, and how they live by overcoming them," he explained.

Screenshot_2023-06-21_at_5.32.47_PM.pngPark Park Seo-joon plays Min-sung, who has a strong responsibility to protect his family no matter what. The inner side of the gradually changing character will be portrayed convincingly through the worries, conflicts, and series of events of "Minseong" at the crossroads of choice.

Park Seo-joon said, "It seems to be very different from the role I have played so far, and it was interesting because I was a person who could express a lot of emotional changes in this. "I'm confident that I spent a lot of time because I had to act delicately," he said.

"In particular, the reason why I wanted to do 'Concrete Utopia' was Lee Byung-hun. "I had a strong desire to work with my senior, but it wasn't a work that was suggested to me first, but I strongly appealed that I wanted to appear because I knew there was such a work," he said.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2023-06-21_at_5.33.04_PM.png

Actor Park Bo-young, who has built up solid skills, will play the role of "Myeonghwa," who does not want to lose faith even in the reality that everything has collapsed, and will present a new acting transformation. He said, "I asked if I could do it after seeing the script, and I was told that Lee Byung-hun could do it. Just like (Park) Seo-joon, I thought, "Then I want to try more," and I think I was more greedy because I could show different genres or different sides of myself. He added, "The charm of the scenario is 50% and Lee Byung-hun is 50%."

Kim Sun-young, who showed bold acting in various works, played the role of "Geum-ae," the head of the women's association of the Imperial Palace Apartment. He said, "I appeared because Lee Byung-hun said he would do it. Now we don't know when we'll meet. This work may be the last one, he said. "I investigated what the head of the women's association did, and I focused on unshakable conviction and belief."

Park Ji-hoo plays Hye-won, who is unfamiliar with the royal palace apartment, which contrasts with the outside world where everything collapsed, while Do-kyun, an uncooperative resident who goes against the flow of the royal palace apartment, is played by actor Kim Do-yoon, who has made a strong impression in every work.

In particular, "Concrete Utopia" is set in winter, but it was filmed in midsummer. Director Um Tae-hwa said, "I would like to take this opportunity to apologize. He said, "I'm sorry because the movie has to come out well, but I did everything I had to do."

Kim Do-yoon said, "The staff also had a hard time. "When I filmed indoors, I remember it was tremendous because of the combination of acting passion and scent," Park Ji-hoo said. "I'm okay because there's little movement inside the apartment, but I think it must have been harder for seniors who have a lot of action and a lot of movement." "It was a warm scene, sharing the wind of the fan when it was cut," he recalled.

Director Eom Tae-hwa said, "There are various genres of movies coming out this summer, and the audience seems to have a lot of choices. "I hope you watch a lot of other movies as well as ours," he said.

Lee Byung-hun then said, "I think there is a huge difference between watching it in theaters and watching it on TV because there are large and overwhelming sounds and scenes," adding, "I think it is another opportunity for Korean content to be shown to people around the world and loved through OTT. However, as a theater lover, I feel sorry for the point where the audience decreases and all movies are watched on TV," he said, urging people to watch the theater.

Source:  https://www.starnewskorea.com/stview.php?no=2023062112051547190

•  
  • Like 1

June 21, 2023

'Concrete Utopia' shines light on post-disaster responses

Screenshot_2023-06-21_at_6.51.14_PM.png

From left, actors Lee Byung-hun, Park Bo-young and Park Seo-joon pose for a photo during the press conference for ″Concrete Utopia″ at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University branch in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul on Wednesday. [YONHAP]

The upcoming film “Concrete Utopia” is not just another disaster movie but a “human black comedy” exploring how people connect with each other and survive after a disaster.

“Concrete Utopia” is about a group of survivors who gather at Imperial Palace Apartment, an apartment complex, the only location untouched by a monstrous earthquake that nearly wipes out the city of Seoul. The film stars actors Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young and is directed by Um Tae-hwa, who directed “Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned” (2016) and served as assistant director on Korean cinema masterpieces such as “Sympathy for Lady Vengeance” (2005).

“We structured the story for ‘Concrete Utopia’ on the idea of what would happen if people faced an extreme situation in a familiar space,” said Um during a press conference for “Concrete Utopia” at Lotte Cinema's Konkuk University branch in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Wednesday. “Apartments are where most Koreans live their everyday lives. We have a love-hate relationship with apartments, and I thought it would be interesting to portray what people would do in such an event.”

Screenshot_2023-06-21_at_6.52.51_PM.png

Main poster for ″Concrete Utopia″ [LOTTE ENTERTAINMENT]

“Most disaster movies center on the disaster itself,” said Lee during the press conference. “But ‘Concrete Utopia’ is about what happens to the people in the aftermath of a disaster. In that sense, it’s more of a black comedy than a disaster movie.”

Lee plays Yeong-tak, the de facto leader of the Imperial Palace Apartment residents, who does everything in his power to guard his and his neighbor’s home from outsiders after the earthquake.

“My character changes the most after the earthquake,” said Lee. “He learns how people come together and disintegrate in the face of a crisis. People are all different, and the way they cooperate and clash with each other is different. This is demonstrated in ‘Concrete Utopia,’ which is yet another point that distinguishes it from other disaster movies.”

Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young both expressed their excitement about working with Lee during the press conference, saying that they chose to participate in “Concrete Utopia” for the opportunity. Lee is a household name in Korea for his appearances in a number of critically and commercially successful films, many of which have gained classic status over the years, including “Joint Security Area” (2000), “A Bittersweet Life” (2005), and “The Good, the Bad, the Weird” (2008).  

“I am a big fan of Lee and have always wanted to work with him,” said Park Seo-joon, who plays Min-seong, an earthquake survivor who is bent on protecting his family after the disaster. “I petitioned for myself to be cast in ‘Concrete Utopia’ after I heard that Lee would be starring in it.”

Park Bo-young experienced many moments where she felt “small” compared to Lee, according to the actor.

“Once, we were all joking on set and then filmed a scene where Lee had to act out his character being very angry, and he just changed so drastically in an instant that I felt this is is the mark of a true actor,” she said.

As “Concrete Utopia” has a large-scale backdrop, many overwhelming scenes, and an imposing sound design, audiences should watch the film in theaters, argued Lee.

“There will be a big difference between watching it on a large screen in theaters and watching it later at home,” said Lee. “I strongly urge viewers to go see it at the cinema.”

BY LIM JEONG-WON [lim.jeongwon@joongang.co.kr]

Source:   https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2023/06/21/entertainment/movies/Korea-Concrete-Utopia-Lee-Byunghun/20230621185

• Like 1

June 21, 2023

PRESS CONFERENCE OF THE MOVIE “CONCRETE UTOPIA” 

B4-B7006-E-DABC-403-D-BE8-B-6-C830-B2375

4516726-E-10-D2-4-D5-A-9-DE5-6-DA124-F89

Here’s the full link to watch the press conference of CU. English subtitles will be added soon. 

\

Spoiler

• Like 1

June 22, 2023. 

CONCRETE UTOPIA IS SET TO BE RELEASED ON AUGUST 9, 2023. :takemymoney:

Spoiler

New character still cuts of Young tak shared by Lee Byung-hun in his IG post. 

20230622-225342.jpg

20230622-225326.jpg

Spoiler

20230622-225353.jpg

• Like 1

June 27, 2023

New still cuts of Park Seo Joon as Min Sung has been released 

Source: Here 

20230627-192626.jpg

20230627-192625.jpg

"Concrete Utopia" Park Seo-joon once again exudes a unique presence.

The movie "Concrete Utopia" is a disaster drama about Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake, and there is the only remaining Imperial palace apartment that begins with survivors gathering.

Park Seo-joon announces a new transformation as "Min-sung" in the play. Min sung, who has a strong sense of responsibility to protect his family in the midst of extreme disasters, is a person who is gradually changing with intense consideration for survival.

With his extraordinary immersion and delicate expression, Park Seo-joon has constructed a three-dimensional character that evokes empathy by convincingly portraying the character's precarious eyes and conflicting inner side at the crossroads of choice. In addition, Park Seo-joon, who met the new resident representative "Yeongtak" and formed a harmony with the ever-changing "Minsung," will give off a special chemistry with Lee Byung-hun, who plays the role of "Yeongtak." On top of that, Park Bo-young, who plays the role of "Myeonghwa," is expected to show the harmony of real couples by realistically expressing the family trying to protect each other even in disaster situations.

Director Um Tae-hwa expressed his trust, saying, "You will be able to see Park Seo-joon's 'acting comprehensive gift set'."

Park Seo-joon's deeper charm can be found in "Concrete Utopia," which will be released on August 9.

• Like 1

July 1, 2023 

Casts of Concrete utopia interview at KBS2tv's "I Love Movie" 

Big thanks to PSJ fans for uploading the interview in YouTube. 

From Dir. Uhm Tae-Hwa's IG story. 

Screenshot-20230702-074623-Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

July 2, 2023 

JTBC

"Concrete Utopia" Kim Sun-young, Park Ji-hoo, and Kim Do-yoon cast full of trust.

0000349601_001_20230703080301469.jpg?type=w430View Source

It's a combination you can look forward to.

The movie "Concrete Utopia (directed by Um Tae-hwa)," which is expected to meet Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young, raises expectations with the addition of actors who you can trust and watch from Kim Sun-young to Park Ji-hoo and Kim Do-yoon.

"Concrete Utopia" is a disaster movie about Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake, and Imperial Palace Apartment is the only remaining palace apartment that begins with survivors gathering.

Actor Kim Sun-young, who has shown friendly and unique characters in "Reply 1988," "Three Sisters" and "Crash course romance," played the role of Geum-ae, the head of the women's association of the Imperial palace apartment in "Concrete Utopia." Kim Sun-young will fill the play with more abundant energy by digesting the lively energy of Geum-ae, an activist who actively works for apartments and residents with solid acting skills.

Park Ji-hoo, who received public and critical attention for his delicate performances in "Hummingbird," "All of us are Dead" and "Little Women," played Hye-won, a resident who returned to the palace apartment from the outside. Park Ji-hoo, who portrayed "Hye-won," who feels an unknown anxiety about the residents of the palace apartment that has changed since the disaster, is expected to further double the tension of the movie.

Finally, Do-kyun, an uncooperative resident, will be played by Kim Do-yoon, who made strong impressions in the movies "The Wailing," "Peninsula," and Netflix's original series "Hell bound," revealing his special presence. Kim Do-yoon will accelerate the unpredictable development by expressing Do-kyun's strange sense of difference in distance from the residents of the royal palace apartment, which has undergone a new change since the disaster, with detailed acting. Kim Sun-young, Park Ji-hoo, and Kim Do-yoon, who are looking forward to such a strong acting ensemble, will heat up the theater this August with their colorful charm and extraordinary character digestion.

"Concrete Utopia," a new adaptation based on the second part "Cheerful Neighbors" of Kim Soo-nung's popular webtoon "Cheerful Bullying," which has been well-received since its serialization in 2014, will be released in theaters on August 9.

Source: Here 

•  
  •  
  • Like 1

July 3, 2023

Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, and Park Bo-young's "Concrete Utopia,", following "Train to Busan," "Tunnel," and "Exit," a new box office genealogy will be born in the theaters in summer. 

Source : Here 

A202307040042_1_20230704074601598.jpg?type=w430View Sour

'Concrete Utopia' is a disaster movie depicting a story that begins with survivors gathering in the only remaining imperial palace apartment in Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake. 'Concrete Utopia', which foreshadows differentiated fun with novel materials that stimulate imagination and realistic production, predicts a different development from existing disaster films with an original setting in which an apartment, a haven for residents only, becomes a refuge in a world in ruins. 

In particular, in that it focuses on the solidarity and conflicts of the characters living after the disaster, not the disaster itself, it makes us expect fun full of tension that emerges in extreme situations. The characters who pursue different values in the face of the desperate struggle for survival and the harsh reality surrounding the apartment will realistically reflect the colorful human group and present a dense drama.

From Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, and Park Bo-young, who will show off new faces that have never been seen before, to Kim Sun-young, Park Ji-hoo, and Kim Do-yoon, who have perfect acting skills and personalities, the synergy created by irreplaceable actors will add to the sense of immersion. In addition, the high-quality production that emphasizes reality from set to CG completes differentiated attractions and will become an indispensable viewing point of 'Concrete Utopia.' 

*....skipped unrelated *

• Like 1

July 4, 2023

CONCRETE UTOPIA CHARACTER POSTER RELEASED. 

From Dir. Uhm Tae-Hwa's IG 

"I think this apartment has been chosen." - Yeong tak 

20230704-100148.jpg

"If we get kicked out of here, its over for us. " -Min Sung 

20230704-100150.jpg

"Don't you think it's best to find a way to live together, first? " - Myeong Hwa 

Spoiler

20230704-100152.jpg

"The only thing that can enter the complex is our residents. " - Geum Ae 

Spoiler

20230704-100154.jpg

"I think everyone is strangely hopeful." - Hye Won 

Spoiler

20230704-100201.jpg

"The thing called 'Conscience', it's a problem if you have it, and it's a problem if you don't have it. " - Do Kyun 

Spoiler

20230704-100202.jpg

• Like 1