[Movie] Concrete Utopia, 콘크리트 유토피아 - Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young

Ephoenix

Collections of apartment photos with caption "Concrete Utopia" from our director IG. Did he go hunting for some inspirations? :joy: as most of filming location will take place in apartment set, i guess.. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBgVeM0pqC5/?igshid=5bhu7kmyasr4

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBe7aH5JRYV/?igshid=134sm0oac3qo

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBbATRtp4Vs/?igshid=p89zr3ko51ep

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBbAA7eJWZJ/?igshid=12gqmb8svhimq

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAvRIHuJhPM/?igshid=118hc15wesyre

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3oMvjXpJHY/?igshid=lzm4otf119mv

https://www.instagram.com/p/B29W4UVp_9o/?igshid=67n7jxgcjcxy

The last pic is a bit spooky though. I can already feel the dark thriller vibes by looking at it xD

• Like 5
  • Shocked 2

• 2 weeks later...

April 3, 2021 

FINALLY IT'S A SCRIPT READING DAY FOR CONCRETE UTOPIA!!!:coolshades:

Webtoon writer Kim Soong Nyung Instagram update: 

IMG-m38rw0.jpg

On 3/22/2021 at 3:20 AM, Anjalifairy said:

Collections of apartment photos with caption "Concrete Utopia" from our director IG. Did he go hunting for some inspirations? :joy: as most of filming location will take place in apartment, i guess.. 

The last pic is a bit spooky though. I can already feel the dark thriller vibes by looking at it xD

Thank you @Anjalifairyfor sharing the links to his IG. I was not aware of it. And Wow, he really looks like he's been doing a lot of research on this for a long time. He's been obsessed with buildings. Lol. That's really cute though.:lol: Also, I'm really excited for the supporting casts for this movie! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, Anjalifairy said:

Did the private party take place at BH Ent office? Isn't it LBH agency? 

Yes. It's his agency.

I think so Yes since the first picture was right in front of the building. So I guess they held script reading in BH ent. I wasn't sure since the caption wasn't clear and there was only picture of the building but I suppose that's obvious.:sweatingbullets::D

• Like 2

April 5, 2021 

'The House of Hummingbird' actress Park Ji Hoo joins Concrete Utopia

Screenshot-20210405-075241.jpg

Actress Park Ji-hoo (18), who played the main character Eun-hee in the movie "The House of Hummingbird," will join the movie "Concrete Utopia."

According to News 1, Park Ji-hoo joined the movie 'Concrete Utopia' as Hye-won, a high school student survivor.

"Concrete Utopia" is a disaster thriller film about survivors gathering at the only remaining imperial apartment in Seoul, which was devastated by the massive earthquake. Actors Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young will appear, and director Uhm Tae-hwa will be in charge of screenwriting and directing.

Park Ji-hoo, who debuted as the main character of the 2019 independent film "The House of Hummingbird", also played the role of daughter Eun-young, who suffers from guilt after her father's accident, showing excellent chemistry with Yeom Hye-ran and Kim Si-eun in movie "Black Light." Currently, she has finished filming the Netflix drama "All of us are Dead" and is preparing to film Concrete Utopia.

Concrete Utopia is scheduled to crank in later this month.

Source: Naver 

Also, according to this blog, the script reading took place somewhere else (Maybe Climax Studios office?) and they all came back to BH Ent after they were done for the private party. The whole thing looks fancy and those finger foods look appetizing. :w00t:

https://m.blog.naver.com/goh8/222299146695

• Like 5

April 7, 2021

Actor Kim Do Yoon of “Peninsula” joins Concrete Utopia 

202104071429156658-d-20210407143007795.j

Actor Kim Do-yoon, who played in the movie "The Peninsula," will appear in the film "Concrete Utopia" (tentative title), where Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young are set to appear. 

According to movie officials on the 7th, Kim Do-yoon has been confirmed to be cast in "Concrete Utopia." This work has been a hot topic since Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, and Park Bo-young are working together.

An official said, "Kim Do-yoon has been cast as Do-kyun in 'Concrete Utopia.' I know that he is cautious because he plays a role that has a significant proportion in the drama, and the explanation of the character itself can be a spoiler of the play."

Meanwhile, "Concrete Utopia" is about the only remaining imperial apartment in Seoul that has been devastated by the massive earthquake, and begins with survivors gathering.

I’m starting to wonder why none of the characters have the last name. Young-tak, Min-Sung, Myung-hwa, Hye-won and now Do-kyun. I’m imagining that in the world of Concrete Utopia, there are no usual Kims, Parks, Lees etc. post earthquake. There are only two kinds: The ones from Imperial Apartment and the outsiders which they refer to as “Cockroaches”. I may just be thinking too much but it really is very interesting. :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

April 15, 2021 

FINALLY WE HAVE PICTURES FROM THEIR SCRIPT READING !!! :Megathanks:

C7-CAB930-EB6-E-4-D25-B2-B1-C8-F2-CF8-FD
8-BCB30-A4-1790-4-A6-D-B077-2-BFEF1384-D

13-D40-ACC-345-F-49-A5-A87-F-FF14-C585-F

"Concrete Utopia" is a disaster thriller about Seoul, which was devastated by the massive earthquake, and the only remaining "Hwanggung Apartment" that begins with survivors gathering. It is a new adaptation based on the second part of the popular webtoon "Joyful Outcast" by Kim Sung-nyung, who has been well-received since his serialization in 2014.

skipped repeated description (page1) 

The movie "Concrete Utopia" will begin its first shooting on April 16 (Friday) after actors and production teams gathered together for the first time to have a script reading. Lee Byung-hun said, "I am excited and looking forward to working with most actors including director Uhm Tae-hwa, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young for the first time." 

“I'm excited to challenge a new genre," Park Seo Joon said. “The changing emotions of the people in the space of the palace apartment, the people living in it, and the events, came to be attractive. I'll do my best to show you a good work."

Park Bo-young said, "I'm happy to be with 'Concrete Utopia' and I'll work hard on future filming. It was such a lively scene that each character I read in the scenario from the script reading was vividly felt. I am looking forward to the upcoming filming and excited and excited to be with good actors. I think it will be a place where I can learn a lot, and I will work harder to draw the movie well."

"Concrete Utopia," a movie about the struggle of survivors inside and outside apartments against the backdrop of a devastated city where a huge earthquake swept away all the concrete. Starting with the movie "Concrete Utopia," Lotte Entertainment and Climax Studios plan and develop the story of the survivors in various contents, including movies and dramas. It will meet audiences and viewers with various platforms that fit different stories, genres, and colors of each work.

okay I’m really curious what do they mean by last paragraph. And it’s already April 16 there. Our best wishes to the entire cast and crew. Hope they can continue and finish filming the movie safely while also having a great time together, and also hope we get more updates from them in the future. Concrete Utopia, Fighting!♥️

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

On 4/7/2021 at 2:33 PM, Ephoenix said:

I’m starting to wonder why none of the characters have the last name. Young-tak, Min-Sung, Myung-hwa, Hye-won and now Do-kyun. I’m imagining that in the world of Concrete Utopia, there are no usual Kims, Parks, Lees etc. post earthquake. There are only two kinds: The ones from Imperial Apartment and the outsiders which they refer to as “Cockroaches”. I may just be thinking too much but it really is very interesting. :D

I've been wondering the same thing since the first time they announced the movie synopsis. I thought there would be like further description later but the same thing happened with 2 more casts announced. Probably like you said, it's only about residents and non residents in the whole post-earthquake life :D

Gosh.. just a script reading pic of these 3 already looks promising  

Have a fun and safe filming for everyone and hopefully Conpia will be a big hit! :hwaiting:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

April 16, 2021

Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young, And Lee Byung Hun Express Excitement As They Begin Filming New Movie

Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young, And Lee Byung Hun Express Excitement As They Begin Filming New Movie

Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young, and Lee Byung Hun are kicking off filming for their new movie “Concrete Utopia” (literal title)!

Loosely based on Part 2 of the hit webtoon “Joyful Outcast” (“Pleasant Neighbors”), “Concrete Utopia” is a new disaster thriller about the aftermath of a devastating earthquake. The movie will follow the story that begins when the survivors gather at Hwang Goong Apartments, the only building left standing in an earthquake-ravaged Seoul.

On April 16, the movie officially commenced filming—and the producers of “Concrete Utopia” celebrated the occasion by releasing photos from the star-studded cast’s first table read.

Lee Byung Hun will star in the film as Young Tak, the temporary leader of the residents of Hwang Goong Apartments. Fearless and decisive, Young Tak is determined to protect Hwang Goong Apartments from outsiders, no matter what dangers he may face along the way.

Expressing his anticipation for the project, Lee Byung Hun remarked, “I’m excited and looking forward to working with director Um Tae Hwa and most of the cast, including Park Seo Joon and Park Bo Young, for the first time.”

Meanwhile, Park Seo Joon will star as Min Sung, a hard-working civil servant and devoted husband who catches Young Tak’s eye is selected to assist him. As he faces crisis after crisis, the reliable Min Sung grows increasingly bold.

Explaining what had appealed to him about the film and his character, Park Seo Joon shared, “I’m excited to be taking on the challenge of a new genre. I was drawn to the changes in Min Sung’s emotions over the course of the incidents that take place within the space of Hwang Goong Apartments, among the people that live there.”

Finally, Park Bo Young will make her return to the silver screen as Min Sung’s wife Myung Hwa, a former nurse who is able to remain calm in even the most stressful of situations. She is also a warm-hearted character who uses her skills to take care of the injured.

Park Bo Young enthused, “I’m delighted to be a part of ‘Concrete Utopia,’ and I’ll work hard during filming. The atmosphere during the script reading was lively and overflowing with energy, to the point where I could clearly feel each character that I read in the script come to life. I’m looking forward to filming, and I’m excited and looking forward to working with such great actors. I think I’ll be able to learn a lot on set, and I’ve made up my mind to work harder in my preparations so that I can do a good job portraying [my character] in the film.”

Source: Soompi 

• Like 5

April 18, 2021 

Director Uhm Tae Hwa's IG story: 

Modern Gosa(Prayer) Ceremony of Concrete Utopia with digital pig's head. They did a good job not using a real one. No animals should be sacrificed in the name of ritual. Luck comes with hard work and determination. We pray for the huge box office and critical success for Concrete Utopia, and for our Conpia team to finish filming safely.

LET'S HIT DAEBAK TEAM!!:piggie:

20210418-083229-575.jpg

Also this looks like Green screen for the filming. I am super excited! :w00t:

Spoiler

Screenshot-20210418-090856.png

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

On 3/22/2021 at 3:20 PM, Anjalifairy said:

Collections of apartment photos with caption "Concrete Utopia" from our director IG. Did he go hunting for some inspirations? :joy: as most of filming location will take place in apartment set, i guess.. 

WOW! Shot lists! 

Edited by SC2019
Please write posts longer than 20 characters! (forum soompi rule)
  • Like 2

April 22, 2021 

CEO of Lotte Entertainment, the distribution company of Concrete Utopia sent a coffee truck to all the casts and crew on the filming location. 

“We are rooting for all the staffs and actors of Concrete Utopia.” :heart:

Pictures: https://www.instagram.com/p/CN-Bop6rn_g/?igshid=bvtbyfjoj1gu

Also, according to Actor Park Jong Hwan’s agency Plum A&C, he’s confirmed to join Concrete Utopia. 

source: Naver 

80323152-78-B6-4862-BF29-1996-C7-E3848-F

• Like 2

May 15, 2021 

april-2021-05-15-07-23-16-611.jpg

Actor Lee Byung Hun sent a congratulatory message to Actor Park Seo Joon on his untact fan meeting "Park Seo Joon COMMA", to celebrate his 10th year Debut Anniversary.

LBH said, 

"Hello, I’m Lee Byung hun. I heard that you are having a fan meeting to celebrate the 10th anniversary of your debut. Congratulations! I hope we will continue to develop strong friendship as we go on with our lives together. I hope you all make good memories today." :wub:

Congratulations Park Seo Joon! :hooray2:

Our Concrete Utopia duo!! It was such a pleasant surprise.:heart:

Video Message: 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

19 hours ago, Anjalifairy said:

@Ephoenix I got excited and surpised too when LBH appeared on my screen congratulating him

PSJ looked surprised too. I am so happy to have this crumbs. :wub:

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote gifs. Thanks!
  • Like 3