[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Jun Jiu Ling 君九龄

sugarplum892

2 hours ago, Nudafu said:

About Jin Han: I have no idea why netizens charge Jin Han with poor acting and looks. He has a command of his emotions that can flip from jovial to sorrow in a seeming instant.

Honestly, the styling of ZZ in this drama did put me off at first as well. Personally, Jin Han's appearance would be more suited to the modern dramas.

I havent read the novel but I guess his look suits this drama as ZZ is supposed to be rugged and sometimes downright messy (when he's undercover). Anyway, his appearance aside, he is a good actor and he portrayed ZZ really well. I really enjoy watching him and PXR in this drama. :eats2:

16 hours ago, rabbit_casa said:

Personally, Jin Han's appearance would be more suited to the modern dramas.

I wonder if you have watched Twisted Fate of Love, Princess Agents or Princess  Weiyoung? I found that type of his styling to be totally fine, much better then in the situations when they give him less hair down the back and no front locks :D

19 hours ago, leo2020 said:

I am sooo looking forward for the moment she tells him the truth :heart:

Me too. It better be a good build up and reveal. At the moment, I'm not too fond of Jiu Ling's choice to continue to keep her identity a secret from Zhu Zhan. Earlier was understandable, but I think it has come to the point that it has become pointless. 

Spoiler

Zhu Zhan is already too obviously associated with Jiu Ling now. And she is hardly keeping him at a distance. If Jiu Ling worries that people will be endangered by association with her revenge, then Zhu Zhan is already in too deep. He has even worked out the same crime that Jiu Ling is trying to discover that will topple the emperor. C'mon, tell him the truth. Before the Drama Gods nearly-kill-him to make you regret it. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

44 minutes ago, leo2020 said:

I wonder if you have watched Twisted Fate of Love, Princess Agents or Princess  Weiyoung? I found that type of his styling to be totally fine, much better then in the situations when they give him less hair down the back and no front locks :D.

I havent watched those but I have seen some of his photos in those. It is true that his styling is better in those but like @Nudafu had mentioned, his look is quite out of the norm for Chinese ancient drama ML. Alas, he still trumped as ZZ due to his acting so it is all beside the point.

• Like 2

I also feel that the male lead is a bit out of sorts in this drama, sorry to his fans and supporters. 

I was turned off during that time when he learned that the Princess had died. 

The actor's reaction was too different from what his character is supposed to be, in my opinion.

It was one of the things that felt weird to me. I don't recall any actors in ancient drama touching their faces like that.

Anyway, that incident sort of put me off from this actor. 

Sorry, I know it may seem strange for some but I'm turned off. 

• Like 1

Apparently on Douban, JJL got really low score as Chinese audiences dont like the look of Jin Han. Some even said they might give the drama higher score if not for his not-so-handsome look. I was like W-T-F, shouldn't you give the drama a chance before judging it based on the ML's look? 

Admittedly I was a bit put off by Jin Han's styling at first but I'm totally convinced by his acting now. The way the Chinese audiences behave now is probably why the entertainment industry is full of plastic actors/actresses who cant act. 

Sorry for my rant. :angry:

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, rabbit_casa said:

Apparently on Douban, JJL got really low score as Chinese audiences dont like the look of Jin Han. Some even said they might give the drama higher score if not for the his not-so-handsome look. I was like W-T-F, shouldn't you give the drama a chance before judging it based on the ML's look? 

Admittedly I was a bit put off by Jin Han's styling at first but I'm totally convinced by his acting now. The way the Chinese audiences behave now is probably why the entertainment industry is full of plastic actors/actresses who cant act. 

Sorry for my rant. :angry:

I'm totally with you and your rant:D.  I've given my opinion on JH's looks and acting skills a bit earlier as well. Re the fans - I've long noticed, that a huge part of Chinese fan communty is a bit extreme and/or radical in their opinions and actions (to say the least)...

So, I suppose we should just enjoy the show and support the actors we like :wub:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElleSor said:

I also feel that the male lead is a bit out of sorts in this drama, sorry to his fans and supporters. 

The actor's reaction was too different from what his character is supposed to be, in my opinion.

It was one of the things that felt weird to me. I don't recall any actors in ancient drama touching their faces like that.

I can totally got what u mean. The first few episodes were a bit weird for me. Not only Jin Han but PXR's acting feel a bit off as well, like slightly exaggerated and awkward. Luckily, their acting improve later on. 

I also think Jin Han's ZZ is quite different from the book, but it's rare that drama adaptation follows the book exactly and JJL did follow the novel to a certain extent so I have no problem with that. Besides, I also think actors/actresses should be allowed to have their own interpretations and improvise on their characters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rabbit_casa said:

I can totally got what u mean. The first few episodes were a bit weird for me. Not only Jin Han but PXR's acting feel a bit off as well, like slightly exaggerated and awkward. Luckily, their acting improve later on. 

I also think Jin Han's ZZ is quite different from the book, but it's rare that drama adaptation follows the book exactly and JJL did follow the novel to a certain extent so I have no problem with that. Besides, I also think actors/actresses should be allowed to have their own interpretations and improvise on their characters.

Yeah, I get what you mean that there may be some adjustments. 

3 hours ago, ElleSor said:

I don't recall any actors in ancient drama touching their faces like that.

Most recently I've seen smth like that in 2020 Renasence, when Prince Su (played by Chen Zhe Yuan) learns the Empress he loves (his older brother's wife) is on her death bed.

Jin Han's portraying of ZZ actually is quite modern. Like his smug expression and the body languages when he was around Jiu Ling. But then again drama adaptation rarely sticks with original novel. Also a lot of the Chinese historical novels rarely stick with the time period of their settings anyway. Like I dont believe if it was back the days, females and males were allowed to meet up on the street, not mentioning about talking in a private room. It would be a huge scandal if they were to be found out.

• Like 1

Ok, back here after watching ep 24. 

Spoiler

I really love that through episodes everyone familiar with Princess Chu JiuLing feels/sences smth while being around Jun Jiu Ling. Lu Yun Qi, I suppose is the closest one to the truth now, since he thinks she is Princesses reincarnation.

Also, that fight between Zhu Zan and Lu Yun Qi was very cool, I enjoyed the moment Lu Yun Qi just went into the fight without even starting the conversation, like he was just waiting for the oppotunity to beat/fight with Zhu Zan himself. And in the end they were just hitting each other everywhere :D.  

What makes me a bit concerned is the feeling JJL's love life is just stuck right now,))) Need to see sweet romantic relationship  ASAP :wub: . JJL promised to tell ZZ the whole truth, we are already halfway through the drama, it's obviously time * my spoiled child tune activated* :D

So far, this drama is a revenge and heroine story. With a good dash of shoujo (i.e. many guys loving the same girl) to boot. There is nothing wrong with that recipe, but the wrong balance can come off wrong. There seems to be an overemphasis on making the heroine extra heroic, fanned by so many people (not only guys) that adore her. Frankly, I don't do well with storylines trying to overfeed me with how great one single character is. No matter who they are or who is playing them. The reason I chose to watch this drama was for PXR's comeback to the screen. Despite PXR still managing to shine in her role, I am definitely not liking JJL as a character. I guess I tend to like my mains a bit more flawed. I wouldn't say JJL is a flawed character. 

I think if the focus of the drama was re-directed to just the revenge, and allow the melodrama be dressing, it would've given a platform for a more interesting play of events. You don't need to be a Nirvana in Fire copycat to still imagine an interesting revenge story. The basic blueprint for revenge is such good material to work with. In terms of CP development, I would've had JJL have an early intention of telling ZZ the truth, but drop clues for him to work it out for himself. At the same time, blending those clues with the clues to construct a revenge against the emperor. Once ZZ reaches the moment of realisation, there would be a moment of she knows that he knows and vice versa. While ZZ has to work for the truth, JJL honours that effort by speaking the truth. Instead of what the drama is doing now:

Spoiler

making ZZ work for it again and again, JJL avoiding the truth again and again. Aside from dragging things out, I don't see much meaning in that. 

I hope my post has been constructive enough to present just a different view. I imagine Jun Jiu Ling can be enjoyed by many different people. It simply has not turned out to be my cup of tea. I just had (I didn't realise) high hopes for another PXR drama. Not even PXR can change the flavour of this cup of tea for me it seems. 

Happy continued watching. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nudafu said:

I hope my post has been constructive enough to present just a different view. I imagine Jun Jiu Ling can be enjoyed by many different people. It simply has not turned out to be my cup of tea. I just had (I didn't realise) high hopes for another PXR drama. Not even PXR can change the flavour of this cup of tea for me it seems. 

It's really great you've took time to explore the drama so thoroughly, I personally always think the more opinions the better))). We all have our preferences, and certainly every drama has it's strengths and weaknesses). For example, I was looking for a costume drama, not too dark and/or serious, with an interesting plot, love story and with (hopefully :doggie:) HE. So I'm enjoying it a lot since I've got what I expected:D.

On the other hand, I tried a (from the trailer) at a first glance very promising drama My dear brothers - and I dropped it after the first episode - it's, as you put it,- not my cup of tea :smirk:

• Thanks 1

@leo2020 I know what you mean with the other drama you mentioned (i ffed thru it quite a lot).

On JJL, I've watched up till E27, saving the rest as it's got to last me till next Wednesday!

Spoiler

my poor Childe Ning, he and JJL had a rather tearful chat in a teahouse. Sadness on his part because she turned him down again, resolutely, after he confessed one more time and on her part, it was a painful moment for her to have to turn him down again, knowing that he is such a worthy person. sigh.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 3:07 PM, ElleSor said:

That’s the only episode I watched to see if it is interesting and I agree with you. ML’s acting did seem out of place and over-the-top for the period. I was a bit surprised because Jin Han in Royal Nirvana was not like that. The styling in this drama is also not very flattering to his looks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluehibiscus said:

That’s the only episode I watched to see if it is interesting and I agree with you. ML’s acting did seem out of place and over-the-top for the period. I was a bit surprised because Jin Han in Royal Nirvana was not like that. The styling in this drama is also not very flattering to his looks.

I don't  mind his looks for the era, actually.

It was the actual gesture that bugged me.

I initially thought he ate something bad and wanted to vomit or something. 

Or that he was doing it (pretending to vomit or needing to go to the loo) so he can evade the soldiers following him. 

• Shocked 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ElleSor said:

I don't  mind his looks for the era, actually.

It was the actual gesture that bugged me.

I initially thought he ate something bad and wanted to vomit or something. 

Or that he was doing it (pretending to vomit or needing to go to the loo) so he can evade the soldiers following him. 

He did exaggerate his reaction. It didn't look natural to me too. The first 2 episodes are really weird, the space is choppy, the acting of both PXR and JH is strange, wooden and exaggerated at times, but alas the story improves later on.

I did read somewhere that even in Goodbye my princess, the acting of PXR and Oliver Chen wasn't good in the first few episodes so maybe PXR is the type who needs time to build up her chemistry with her fellow actors/actresses and get into character. Not sure abt Jin Han, this is my 1st time watching a drama he is in. I didn't like his look at first, but his acting is growing on me. Still, occasionally I feel like his acting is a bit exaggerated, but I will give allowance seeing the way he interpreted Zhu Zhan as a hot-headed, rugged and devil-may-care character.

• Like 2

I'm enjoying the drama for a lot of reasons but the male lead is definitely one of the main ones.  He is just so refreshing to watch and how nice not to have the typical Chinese historical male drama lead looking and acting the opposite of 'macho' shall we say and that may be why he isn't receiving the critics love but definitely is the fans.  This guy is terrific, will look for more of his dramas.

Love that the critics are hating on it while viewers are loving it.

Any idea why the slow down in subs on this one?

• Blob 1