[Drama 2020/2021] Phoenix / The Firebird, 불새

0ly40

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

wish the writer would stop trying to sell this love story over and over. we don't care. ugh.

I agree 100% with you. I'm still FF they romance scenes.  I just don't get if JE regret taking the deal why can't she be with JM now that the Chairman is dead? who is stopping them?   

JE being a total villain would make this drama more interesting. 

• Like 3

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2020/2021] Phoenix / The Firebird, 불새 - Mon to Fri @ 8:35 KST

fast forwarded and watched the last two episodes. it was so meh. basically ji eun finds out about sae hoon's heart condition, she has almost no reaction to hearing the news from the lawyer friend. he tried hard to be emotional while she looked like she was sitting in a work meeting and was exhausted :neutral:.... later, she and sae hoon did meet and she cried a little. finally she admitted she wasn't kind to him whereas he said that he didn't know how to love maturely. umm, what? not sure how much more mature you could be with such a bratty mood swinging selfish woman. <_<

@joccu ~ sae hoon has finally resigned. and miran has decided to try and not be nasty to stepmom as sae hoon said that she will never be happy unless she stops hating everyone. from all that happened, one would think this drama is ending. is it? I can't see how this drama has any plot to cover another 30 episodes. @Ayame ~ any idea if the drama is being cut short?

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

10 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

If they make JE evil though...

if they did, the drama would be partially interesting at least.. but the writer seems determined to make her a heroine. shrug. might end up dropping this drama soon at this rate....

• Blob 2

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

from all that happened, one would think this drama is ending. is it? I can't see how this drama has any plot to cover another 30 episodes. @Ayame ~ any idea if the drama is being cut short?

I just double-checked for any articles and there's no updates. It still seems to be ending at originally planned 120 episodes in April. That might change later, but as of now there's nothing new. Although since it's still 120 episodes, there's still around 50 episodes or so, not 30. Not really sure how they're gonna stretch the plot for that long, though.

Regarding the plot, the writer Lee Yoo Jin said this at the press conference before the drama started airing:

"It will seem to be a different story from the original. The setting of the reunion between Lee Jieun and Jang Sehoon hasn't changed, but the love journey of the two are different from the original. After reuniting the two lovers, the story will depict the process of them recovering and understanding each other's wounds that have been inflicted on each other, rather than the ending of just meeting again."

So, I'm not sure what the writer will do now. Since I dropped the drama already, I just read all of your opinions here honestly, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, joccu said:

@Lmangla If SH also dies I honestly don't know where this drama then goes.  

this has become really boring. I'm FF many scenes. maybe I should just drop this. 

same here, if he really dies, then am going to drop this drama. all this succession stuff is boring me because I really don't care about jung min. neither do I care about this stupid triangle or about ji eun's future. stepmom was interesting but she is now in the background and so is nakyung. it has become a really boring drama that am really tempted to just drop it and watch the last episode. wonder if the ratings reflect that - we can't be the only ones bored right?

thanks @Ayame -- there is barely any plot for 30 episodes let alone 50. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

@Lmangla For the TV ratings, no it's not doing well in Korea. It stays around the 5%-6% ratings, which is low. Although, all of the daily dramas that have aired in this timeslot (8:30 A.M.) have had poor ratings in the last couple of years. Seems like the last time a drama in this timeslot had okay ratings was 'Happy Sisters' (2017/2018).

It's bit different compared to 'Man in A Veil' which has okay ratings that averages around 20% in Korea, which is why it got the episode extension.

• Like 4

am using google translate and reading some of the comments on the naver link that @Ayame shared and it sounds like there is behind the scenes drama? not very sure because google translate is a bit strange off anyway. so take it with a pinch of salt -- there were comments about shuffling of writers, SBS is probably regretting, actor (sae hoon) unhappy, PD being harsh on actor (sae hoon?), actor being replaced?, a reference to "an article about the writer which is unconfirmed but none about the actor"....   hmmm, even if it is bad google translate, it sounds like a bit of a mess.. wonder what happened....

watched the ending scene of today's episode raw and it seems sae hoon is dead and the preview looks like a time leap (since ji eun's hair is shorter). what a yawn. can now drop this drama.

• Unamused 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

Soooo I guess JE is becoming a villain. I hope so, please writer-nim! Whatever drugs he/she’s on, I want some!

Seems like it. Dark make up and non pastel clothings.

Male lead taken out half way of the drama. Weird.

Hopefully all the artificial tears used up already. I cant stand those tears rolling every single episode. I will ff her crying scenes.

• Like 3

@Lmangla I looked up some official Korean articles and although my Korean isn't fluent... it seems like SBS is looking to replace the writer Lee Yoo Jin with someone else since the writer and the production crew have differing opinions on which direction the drama should go.

Korean article source: https://www.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/A2021012809430000015?did=NA

Regarding the rumors about the PD and the actor Lee Jae Woo (Se Hoon), that seems to be only rumors for now since there are no official statements on that. The possible writer replacement is the only thing SBS has made a statement on.

• Thanks 4

thanks @Ayame; looks like there is lot of drama offscreen which was influencing the quality of this drama. I can understand if the actor playing the main lead got miffed. instead of being the main lead, he basically got pegged into the second lead. maybe thats why he got killed off so early?

• Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Either the writer became so amused by Jung Ming actor and righting what she perceives as wrong with the first drama that caused this daily to crash and burn OR the producer and director kept pushing for the mess we are seeing now because of their obsession with actors of Jung Min and Ji Eun which led to the early demise of the chairman and Sae Hoon. From the start, all of the original characters were caricatures of themselves.

They treated the actor of Sae Hoon like trash and dressed him like that too. They should just cancel the show.

Maybe the destruction is on everyone involved, but looking at the director's past drama and comments, they are not favorable and are reminiscent of what is happening here.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

I had to check the director out.  I have actually seen 3 of his dramas.  the latest being the daily called sweet enemy(the actor playing SH was in that). Well I did not watch all the episodes off that daily. was checking on/off.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, vienvien said:

Dark make up and non pastel clothings.

Male lead taken out half way of the drama. Weird.

Hopefully all the artificial tears used up already. I cant stand those tears rolling every single episode. I will ff her crying scenes.

Finally! 

Yeah, I hated her crying scenes too.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Now that I think about it... Hong Soo Ah (Ji Eun) and Seo Ha Joon (Jung Min) did a magazine photoshoot & interview together (for the Korean magazine, MAG&JINA) earlier this month. Usually it's the "main couple" of the drama that has a magazine photoshoot, if there is one at all. It does make me feel bad for Lee Jae Woo (Se Hoon)...

ea97VD7.jpg

source: https://tenasia.hankyung.com/topic/article/2021011408284

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, joccu said:

@Lmangla No. SH. Why?

I'm going to hang still couple off episodes and then drop this. 

this episode was so awful -- they wasted something like 10 minutes recapping the love story of ji eun and sae hoon. a bit overdone when the writer has been glorifying this flaky love story between ji eun and jung min. eye roll. are they teasing us? so he is scheduled for surgery the next day and he drops dead the previous night? <_<

jung min tries one last time to patch up with ji eun but she rightly points out that she is a selfish woman who will always place herself before another and will make others feel lonely. so at least the female lead is owning she is selfish -- if this drama is like one of those dickens novels about her life and her loves, it would make more sense. in that case, why take the central premise of the original? why use the same title? what a waste -- the original material was such a beautiful melodrama with lovely performances. this is just dumb.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2