[Drama 2020/2021] Phoenix / The Firebird, 불새

0ly40

3 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

@Lmangla  this drama going in circles, I can’t wait for the next chapter in the story and for the millions leg girl to show up , move on this begging of parents to approve what this spoiled children want :crazy:

yea, fingers crossed, the next chapter is a lot better. I think the leads don't have chemistry together and can't sell this love story. so maybe they will be better when they hate each other. hahahaha...

the drama is actually kind of interesting when the leads are with other people. sae hoon and jang in becoming friends was so random and also fun to watch. jang in's arc was interesting to watch -- his struggle with being a coward, hiding na kyung who he pities and hates, fretting about being a father but also rather mesmerized by ji eun because she is so different from who he is.

I feel like the real problem is with the female lead. she sort of annoys me when she tries to act so cutesy because she is much more interesting as a devious, cunning person who is trying to push her father both emotionally but also business smart wise. why don't they just stick to that instead of that ridiculous aegyo?

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

wow, ji eun's parents marriage is so toxic. no wonder ji eun was totally looking for an exit in the form of sae hoon. her parents neither like or trust each other. they are basically going to create the same havoc and dynamic in ji eun and sae hoon's marriage and it is going to be a repeat of the past. her dad sang bum worked hard but he felt humiliated and cheated that he is basically a puppet chairman who was not given shares. his brother-in-law and wife are both obsessed with keeping the company but don't have the brains or business smart to actually run and resent sang bum. so the son dying basically tore apart all the wounds and brought it out into the open and now it is basically open warfare and backbiting. in the midst of this, ji eun has thrown a spanner in their grand merger plan by wanting to lead her own life -- however, both of them are going to try use her as their own puppet. if ji eun had some sense, she would see that the same dynamic of her parents' marriage is again playing out...

jang in at least has more sense. he has quit the company and moved out. it is interesting to watch his friendship with sae hoon. wonder how that will play out going forward. looks like we will move into the next phase where ji eun and sae hoon have a disastrously short marriage and drive each other up the wall....

• Like 2

I just finished watching the original and after seeing the new version episode for today and preview for tomorrow, I decidedly dislike the female lead. She was spoiled in the original, but likeable. This chick in the new one is disgusting, bratty, and delusional beyond belief. Maybe she will have a better character after she is thrown into poverty. The father in the modern version is detestable as well and yes to whoever pointed out that he looked ridiculous with the bootleg grey hair; her father in the original was not this horrid. This goofy presence of all the characters brought out the worst of the 80's in US soaps. I'll be back for the time jump.

• Like 3

so watched the last episode and then caught up on the episodes I missed. all I can say is poor sae hoon. ji eun is such a spiteful spoilt brat who is bent on getting her way. her dad is on point when he said that these two would have broken up naturally if the mom hadn't interfered and made them romeo and juliet. these two have very different ideas when it comes to money, self-respect and ethics.

@chococarmela ~ now that the wedding is over, the claws have very quickly come off and reveal ji eun is just as manipulative and selfish as her family who are all playing games. mom is creating a slush fund through art gallery and forging some painting. dad wants ji eun to give him her shares so that he can take over the company. ji eun wants to be daddy's girl and heir and is willing to do so if it means that she gets to live in the lap of luxury. the studio she so loved to hang out before for its romantic vibe is no longer cutting it for her.

so ji eun bullies sae hoon into moving in to the family home and working for her father. the poor guy is already worn out by her antics but is dragged in because of the baby. once at the home, he is constantly belittled by the mom and made to do illegal accounting at the office for the dad. sae hoon is rightfully frustrated but ji eun makes excuses for both parents and sees them as right and the way of the world. ummm, okay stupid woman. then why on earth did you pursue this man and chase him till he said yes when it was obvious that he had a different set of ethics and self-respect than you?

anyway, all of this comes to a head and sae hoon is so ready to walk out. they are having an argument and he sort of pushes her so he can walk and she falls down the stairs. now, she is piping mad as she has lost the baby. mom sees this as the perfect opportunity to push for a divorce while dad decides to push the slush fund illegal activities as sae hoon as the scapegoat. ji eun is meanwhile all about her grief and wants sae hoon out of her life. so yea, that was one quick downward spiral of a nasty marriage and relationship. 

sae hoon should have stuck to his first decision and walked away from the relationship..

23 hours ago, foreverempress said:

She was spoiled in the original, but likeable. This chick in the new one is disgusting, bratty, and delusional beyond belief.

exactly! ji eun in this version is so terrible that you don't feel sorry for her at all. lets see if she gets better with the time leap that looks like it should happen in a few episodes. as of now, she is really insufferable. ugh.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lmangla said:

he claws have very quickly come off and reveal ji eun is just as manipulative and selfish as her family who are all playing games. mom is creating a slush fund through art gallery and forging some painting. dad wants ji eun to give him her shares so that he can take over the company. ji eun wants to be daddy's girl and heir and is willing to do so if it means that she gets to live in the lap of luxury. the studio she so loved to hang out before for its romantic vibe is no longer cutting it for her.

Ji Eun sounds way more like a villain. Sheesh.

• Like 2

EVENT: Guess the k-drama (game)

Chingus, it's time for a little friendly game. Your Event Organizers "I Love Gossip" and "Give Me the Goss" have written clues, you guess which dramas we are referring to.

Come on over and test your k-drama knowledge!:kiss_wink:

re: @Lmangla

• Like 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

kekeke.. that prosecutor cha who double crossed was kind of dashing. so will he triple cross his colleague that he can't stand? is that how sae hoon will get out?

the mom reminded me of this cartoon rabbit when she was urging the dad to run after ji eun. kekeke..

• Like 3

I liked the original 2004 Phoenix, so I wanted to give this 2020 remake a chance, but I just can't with this new set up. The original premise worked for me because the 2 leads were young college students, so the behaviors made some sense due to their youth. Now that both characters have been aged up (I think FL is 26 and ML is 29) I just can't take the behaviors and immaturity on display. Also, the FL character is just too much for me to have any sympathy. Maybe the original lead actress was just that much better an actress, but I think a lot of it also has to do with how this character has been re-written. (ML character as well in some ways). It saddens me, but I think I'm going to have to give this drama a miss. I might check back later though to see if things are greatly improved in the second half. Going to have to rely on the info here at the forum.

• Like 4

waving hello to @Table122000, it has been a while! phoenix is one of my favourite melos and this re-make has basically shown me how good the acting was in the original. these are difficult character notes to play in the beginning but in the original, you really felt like they loved each other but lacked the life maturity to know how to make the relationship work. there was some really cute moments where you saw them connect and a real warmth. here, the remake lacks warmth. it feels all shrieky and over the top but they seem like one note characters.

the time leap is a good thing here as ji eun seems more tolerable character to watch. mom is a still loud but at least has reduced a decibel -- the loan shark is right, the woman needs to work instead of just taking anti-depressants and sleeping. her sister is using dad's death as an excuse to have meltdowns and waffle through life.

sang hoon seems like the same character and not much change. wonder what happened to his dad as he says there is no one to meet in korea. jung in has died and there is no mention of how. they haven't revealed what happened to na kyung and their kid. jung in's dad has married the art reviewer and it looks like they are actually happy. jung min is a fun character to watch and seems like his own person.

it is clear it will never match the original but hoping it is at least watchable.

• Like 5

I really liked jugmin. I also wonder how Jung in died and what happened to his kid? Then there is also nakyung. So sag hoon is not married. He is only kind of dating Miran. Don't know if he loves her or is only with her bc the accident. 

• Like 4