[Drama 2021] Vincenzo, 빈센조

larus

It’s really over!! :bawling::bawling:

I’m fine with the ending. It didn’t blow my mind but it achieved its purpose, giving the villains a slow suffering death. Sure the way Han Seo died could’ve been executed better but there are no what ifs since clearly the writer wanted him killed off. So V possibly saving him is out of the question. In the end he made a decision he didn’t regret and stood up to his brother who he feared for all his life and felt accomplished in his last breath. He told V he wasn’t going to run away and instead he’d stay and fight Han Seok which is exactly what happened. That’s the legacy he chose.

Just me or I wanted to see V beat Han Seok to a pulp? That’s what fell short for me this episode was not getting to see V in action. He was facilitating everything but I wanted to see him actually kick some ash just as a final punch to the series. They just showed us the aftermath of Han Seok’s beating, boo. Mind you he kidnapped, punched, and shot our CY and killed cutie Han Seo. I’m satisfied with his death but I wished to have witnessed his suffering more. I sound like a sadist. On the contrary, I thought Choi Myung Hee dancing to her death was brilliant.

As for our lovely couple VCY, I’m so happy we got that kiss. It was more than perfect and how gorgeous did they look? Hands down sexiest couple in kdrama land. Their kiss looked so natural and genuine. :wub: I’m fine with the open ending. They’re in love. Their relationship isn’t conventional but they’ll make it work.  

Before the start of this drama, one thing I asked was for Vincenzo not to be written as a cliche protagonist wherein a villain turns good type of character. I wanted to see him ruthless to the end and I’m so glad that was delivered. Vincenzo goes down as one of SJK’s best roles yet. It really showcased what an amazing versatile actor he is. Daesang award please!!

I’m surely going to miss my babies Vincenzo and Hong Cha Young. HCY is now my favorite female lead ever and it’s all thanks to JYB. She truly embodied the character and gave her such wit and charm. JYB is my new found love and this baby deserves all the success in the world! Rooting for her! If she doesn’t win any awards for her portrayal of HCY, I’m going to riot. 

Lastly we have the bts of the final episodes left to look forward to and then it’s really the end. I’m so sad. :tears: Thanks everyone for all the fun we had these past months. Going to miss the Cassano Geumga Family. My weekends will feel so empty now...

• Like 11
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, c Cinc said:

It seems that I am of minority here who LOVED the ending to bits. It was a very satisfying ending for me. Major kudos to the writers for sticking to their guns. They allowed Vincenzo to embody a mafia's murderous and tenacious ways to the very end. Vincenzo is probably one of the best-written anti-heroes I have seen in kdramas. He remained dark and merciless till the very end. We even got confirmation that he still continues to lead the same tenacious ways. This drama was never written to show a mafia's redemption arc or atonement. It was done to reiterate that the world can be so evil, that there would be instances where justice should be served mercilessly. With that in mind, Vincenzo is able to justify his existence as someone who uproots evil mercilessly, when the law is no longer sufficient to punish the monsters. As an audience, I feel so wrong rooting for a character like Vincenzo, but at the same time, this is what dramas are all about. We all have that inner monster in us and if I can allow that "monster" in me to be satisfied by vicariously living through a drama character, the writers have done their jobs. Thank you writers for not being cowards!

Me too, I might be the minority too, but I find the ending satisfying, its not perfect but it stay true to the theme.

From the begining it was about Vincenzo journey in finding his purposes, that he is not just a killing machine. He was always restless, there is this duality within him, he doesnt bat a eye when killing his enemy, but at somepoint his choices in life, bothers him.

Untill he went to Korea, meet the love of his life, the geumga residents, and the evil corporate with deep rooted corruption within society, that he realize he doesnt have to change ways to find redemption. He needs to be strong to protect the people he cared for.

He could punish evil in his way, because lets face it law will not always just and fair in protecting the weak and hopeless. He finally make peace with himself.

I do agree there are some unnecessary death that could have be saved, and I get why many fans were upset.

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

"I am still a villian and I could care less about justice. Justice is weak and empty. One cannot win against any evil with justice" - Vincenzo Cassano (Mafia Boss)

This episode brought me varying levels of pain and satisfaction all at once.

Show you don't know how thankful I am you remained true to your color right until the end. Vincenzo is too far gone to ever change his ways and neither is he willing to. I think we were all wrong about what the writer wanted to convey with Vincenzo's mafia past. It was never about regret or repentance. It was about Acceptance - acceptance that it is a part of him and he cannot let it go.

Ending for Vincenzo CY seems fitting, somewhere mid-way. he can't be in Korea, but she can visit his Island. I think that works and is probably the best compromise for them.

"I will let you dance all you want" - The satisfaction here is >>>>>>>>>>>

"The spear of atonement" - Vincenzo really did give Han Seok the most excruciating slow painful death ( as he should be getting)

Catharsis revenge has never felt this satisfactory! the look of horror and doom on MH and HS's face though!!!!

Also Does anyone realize the Inzaghi Vincenzo relationship foreshadowing with respect to Vincenzo and Korea. It starts with irritation to annoyance to disgruntled compromise and finally acceptance to ultimate allies. Just like how Vincenzo and Plaza people's trajectory falls. Inzaghi's absence relates to Vincenzo's absence from Korea. Inzaghi left in ep 18 - the episode from which Vincenzo's imminent departure has been foreshadowed. Inzaghi never came back just like Vincenzo!!

Edited by ferily
As per Soompi forum rules, profanity is not allowed at all as well as no workarounds using ! or *. Any future post you make that contains profanity will be removed
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

Now, let's talk about the deaths. I really commend the writers for giving each one of the villains very apt and grotesque deaths.

Han-seo's death was the most painful to see, but I'd argue that it was necessary. The main objective from the beginning was to bring down Babel. HS has made it clear multiple times that he would "straighten" out Babel when he becomes chairman. If a transformed Han-seo remained alive, the Tower of Babel would remain standing. Vincenzo would have failed in fulfilling his ultimate goal. Besides, the brothers' arc has always been touted as a parallel to that of "Cain and Abel." Hanseo never stood a chance. Even he himself knew that the time will come when he would need to risk his life. The one thing that made his death different from the other monsters was the chance given to him to repent. At least Vincenzo was able to give him that chance. The fact that HS has managed to endear himself to us in just merely 4 episodes was a testament to the actor (KDY) and the writers. Great acting from KDY! Props to him!

The death of Han-seok was so vividly grotesque. It was RickRoll'D satisfying. Vincenzo lived up to his promise. He gave Han-seok a torturous and excruciating death he more than deserved. That image of a raven feasting on his flesh as he was still alive was just perfection! Molto bene! Same goes to the death of Choi Myung-hee. If there's one thing good this woman had going in her life, it was her undying loyalty. Her greed literally caused her to be burnt into pieces. At least, she got to dance on her way to hell. So good! And lastly, I thought Seung-hyuk's death was a great juxtaposition to Vincenzo's mafia ways and Han-seok's psychopathic ways of killing people. Seung-hyuk's death was the swiftest and least torturous of the three. It was apt because his death was masterminded by Han-seok and he mainly just abetted on Babel's evildoings.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

What a ride! I can't believe it's been 2.5 months since I watched the premiere episode on Netflix on Feb 20 T-T

The ending was bittersweet. It was similar to CLOY's ending where they had to meet in the middle/at some event and only for a certain time period. It was 2 weeks in CLOY (i think?) and ONLY 1 DAY in Vincenzo what the fook lol but it was aligned to the theme of the show. If they ended up together happily in Korea, it makes no sense. The ending scene where they had to part at the museum with SJK and JYB looking at each other with longing eyes tugged my heartstrings.

The ending kisses were FANTASTIC!! SJK and JYB are such great kissers! They conveyed the longing and passion well. Got to say despite the bittersweet ending, I am satisfied with their arc because those kisses were just magical lol. Did you guys see how SJK kissed JYB when she leaned in for a second kiss? <3

I would need some time to get over not seeing SJK+JYB and no new episodes to look forward to anymore. 

P.S KDY's acting is just *chefs kiss*. Dude needs meatier roles in the future. Before I sign off, I would like to also reiterate the fact that I do not ship actors together in real life because I know they are just doing their jobs BUT something about SJK and JYB hits different. One can only hope *winks*

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Now, the least satisfying, but still quite fitting was the resolution (beginning?) to Vincenzo and ChaYoung's love arc. I appreciate that they were both self-aware of what they have done and addressed the elephant in the room, that they could never be together in Korea. We all knew Vincenzo's future in Korea was bleak. I would have loved to see more fanservice, but I understand why giving us "lovey-dovey" moments in the midst of such evil monstrosities would feel forced and out of place. I have never been a fan of time jumps, but  I think Vincenzo and CY needed that. They both needed to heal individually to feel deserving of a great love. I did not need to hear a literal confession because they both mutually know that they love each other. It just wasn't the most opportune time to allow such pure love to thrive in the midst of evil. The best part of their kiss was when Vincenzo mentioned that "villains are also tenacious in love." After all, we've seen how tenacious Vincenzo can be, if he is as tenacious in loving Chayoung, it gives me comfort that their love will thrive.

Lastly, I think this finale did not completely close its doors for a second season. It was a perfect ending for drama who seems to not know what the future has in store for them. If there was no second season, everything about the story had a clean resolution, but if they decide to move forward with one, I could see ways they could make it happen. For the second season, we could now see the life of a former consigliere turned Mafia boss. That would be so badass!

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

14 minutes ago, chuu18 said:

The ending scene where they had to part at the museum with SJK and JYB looking at each other with longing eyes tugged my heartstrings.

IKR, they havent seen each other for a year, and they have to part again after just a few hours of reuniting.. but, I believe VC will bring CY to his Island in Malta, and she would stay for months.. :blush:

14 minutes ago, chuu18 said:

Did you guys see how SJK kissed JYB when she leaned in for a second kiss? <3

Oh boy! Did I see that!? Did I see that... lol I never seen any of SJK work before or at least I didnt remember seing his kissing scene prior, and also JYB. But the both of them are excellent is kissing scene! To waste their talent for only two kissing scene is a sin really.. lol

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

The finale was really worth the wait.  It was both satisfying and emotional.  With our current situation, it was best to improve the quality of the drama with the delay since the crew aren't allowed to extend their work like before.  Vincenzo was absolutely the best drama we have in the early 2021. 

Both Choi Myung Hee and Jang Han-Seok deserved the slow painful death after the horrible things they did for their egotistical glutinous greed and stepping down innocents like ants.  Vincenzo is definitely an expert in bringing fear onto them before their demises especially giving the taste of their own medicines.  

Han Seo death was really tragic because he died doing the right thing after Vincenzo gave him the strength to stand up against his demons and the brother he always wanted. In the end, he was the hero in this episode since it was him who help the Cassano family to track his brother down.  I also feel terrible for Mr. Han because he was a likable bad guy that I was hoping he would survived by going to prison in the end.  He didn't deserve that death Han Seok gave him. Glad Mr. Lee survived in the end after that near fatal injury and being the father.

Vincenzo is definitely someone we need in our world especially dealing with the corrupt politics and stump them down while continuing being the villain/anti-hero of the underworld thanks to the guidance of the monk.  I was happy with the kiss scene with Hong Cha Young and showed that he'll continue to operate the way he has.  At least I'm relieved the plaza is intact and the tenants with Cha Young are still continue defending it and punish the evil doers.   Unlike most, I'm glad this open ending give hope Vincenzo will continue his ways in punishing the villains with his new role as a Cassano mafia boss.  

PS. I'm sad Inzaghi was not in this episode but I'm happy that birds plays significant theme in this episode like the crow eating Han Seok corpse as a symbol being the messenger of death 

• Like 8

what a ride, what a show. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that it's over. even the forum name has recently been changed to lose the "currently airing" tag. T___T

it was an extremely violent ending, but a very fitting one that doled out the punishment that befits the perpetrators of babel. agree with @c Cinc about Hanseo's death being necessary to the story: while it was deeply saddening that he didn't make it out alive (KDY was excellent in his role), he even says it himself: death at the hands of his brother has always been in the cards for him. however, by choosing to "do the human thing" and side with the forces that can put a stop to his brother's evil, he differentiates himself from the rest of the villains.

I don't think I'm ready to bid adieu to VC, CY, and the geumga family just yet. I have so many feelings about VC and CY's story- it hurts. not to mention that I've become an even more staunch JYB fan, been initiated into the SJK fan club, and introduced to so many new faces that I hope to see again in future works. the prospect of Vincenzo-less weekends is depressing me already, but I also want to say that it's been incredibly fun getting to chat and squee about all things Vincenzo with everyone on this forum! fingers crossed that we'll get to re-congregate in the near future for another season! :heart3:

edit: wow when the feels hit you immediately after you hit "Submit reply" and glance at your profile photo to the left, only to realize with a sinking feeling in your stomach that this means you'll also have to say goodbye to the most wholesome character to exist in dramaland. NO MORE SAMUJANG-NEM (and MR. AHN) T___T

• Like 7
  • Love 2

After MQ (ignoring that ending x_x), I didn't think another show would come so soon that would sweep me off my feet and then came Vincenzo :')

Been a silent reader on this thread since the beginning but I just had to post after it came to an end:

Thank you Vincenzo for being such a perfect imperfect drama <3

There's no denying that Vincenzo is far from perfect but for me it was. It was a well and truly perfect drama that kept me company for 10 weeks. I've been watching dramas for god knows how long, and I've always seen anti-hero stories where they try and change the main character as though it was redemption arc. But what I truly love about Vincenzo is that it wasn't about him coming to Korea and trying to correct his ways so to speak.

He is who he is and he will always be soand THAT's why I think that ending was absolutely perfect

I cannot thank the writer and PD enough for carrying this essence throughout its entirety, all the way till the end and leaving me feeling so fulfilled and complete. Yes supporting Vincenzo can feel at times morally wrong because of his methods, but it was never about him preaching to be this ideal man bringing justice to others, to put it into his own words:

"I'm just a scumbag that clears up scum. I cannot stand scumbags that stink more than me..." 

And THAT right there is what Vincenzo is about

I can talk about soo many other ways things such as HS dying (felt as though someone ripped my heart out) or the most mature, unyielding love I've seen between 2 characters, VC & CY (undoubtedly one of my Top 3 OTPs!) but if we did so we'd be here forever haha so just want to end it off by saying: 

Thank you Vincenzo. Truly.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, c Cinc said:

It seems that I am of minority here who LOVED the ending to bits. It was a very satisfying ending for me. Major kudos to the writers for sticking to their guns. They allowed Vincenzo to embody a mafia's murderous and tenacious ways to the very end. Vincenzo is probably one of the best-written anti-heroes I have seen in kdramas. He remained dark and merciless till the very end. We even got confirmation that he still continues to lead the same tenacious ways. This drama was never written to show a mafia's redemption arc or atonement. It was done to reiterate that the world can be so evil, that there would be instances where justice should be served mercilessly. With that in mind, Vincenzo is able to justify his existence as someone who uproots evil mercilessly, when the law is no longer sufficient to punish the monsters. As an audience, I feel so wrong rooting for a character like Vincenzo, but at the same time, this is what dramas are all about. We all have that inner monster in us and if I can allow that "monster" in me to be satisfied by vicariously living through a drama character, the writers have done their jobs. Thank you writers for not being cowards!

I agree with you. I liked the ending well enough. Vincenzo never really showed intentions of changing his lifestyle, he just made friends while looking for the gold and protected them, and also avenged his mother. But in the end he did what he planned. It also makes sense to me that he stays in Malta, since after all, he lived in Italy for more than 20 years and he must have strong ties with his Italian family and life. Staying in Korea would have been the unnatural choice, since he only was there for a few months. And regarding Cha Young, it's fine that after going under the radar for a while, he shows up to tell her that he still loves her and that she has a place in his home, if she wants to go. That's a pretty satisfying and happy ending for this mafia couple. He's a killer and a wanted criminal after all, I don't know what people were expecting.

All in all, I find the story quite consistent and well finished. Maybe the death of Han Seo was too much, I feel killing the sweet boy was an unnecessary sacrifice, just to highten the stakes in the last episode. But I'm not disappointed at all, I would have liked much less that they suddenly turn a cold blooded killer into a saint just for the purpose of having a standard happy ending. It would have been jarring and boring, another run-of-the mill drama. I prefer them to stay criminals. That's far more original, LOL :D

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Even though Vincenzo and CY's closure seems like CLOY, I think they are in a much better position of compromise than CLOY couple - CLOY couple were restrained by the time they could spend together (just 2 weeks in a year) where as for CenCha the choice is honestly upto CY about how long she wants to be with Vincenzo at his island - she can choose to be there for a few days, a few weeks, a few months in a year. For me It's just not that sad like say CLOY or TKEM or HDL or Goblin couple. They definitely have a better luxury of finding a middle ground in their LDR.

• Like 10

V and CY definitely have a more free happy ending for sure. CLOY ending was fitting for the show. And this ending is fitting for this show. Sure, it could've been better. But I can definitely end with this ending. I mean, it could be worse... aka City Hunter open ending. Aaaahhhh. Now that was a huh open ending for an OTP. So yeah, all in all, I can accept the VCY ending.

Is TKEM a sad like ending?? I thought they finally found each other and can be together now??

• Like 4

I hope when the pandemic is over, the crew will finally have the luxury of traveling to Italy and other European countries to do the sequel.  Having an Asian being the head of the Mafia is a huge step of diversity for both cultures as Vincenzo explained in episode 11, he had to train hard everyday to survive as an Asian boy living under the Caucasians country.  I have seen the Italian viewers who watched the drama enjoy the references and the stereotypes of their traits and love them.  I'm sure the Vincenzo crew will have their set flocked with their fans there once the restrictions have lessen  

• Like 7