[Drama 2021] Vincenzo, 빈센조

larus

On contrary, I found HCY is very eccentric and funny in her own style lol.. kinda refreshing character: she is pretty, smart, badass, but also comical in a sense she's bit exaggerating and acts childish but all in proper dosage so I can't help but liking her. I mean, I'm tired of the 100% perfect kinda female lead from K-drama land (who mostly has all good traits in the universe and that consistent cool and soft aura/demeanor which are boring imho), I think HCY is very fine for me. So, I'm looking forward to see more of her parts here hehehe..  

:hwaiting:

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

@kozukomi I also think that she's really funny. I cannot help to compare her character with kim hye soo's in hyena, although I still prefer kim hye soo's character, but HCY is fun to watch. Since she's somehow clumsy but is a perfectionist at the same time, i found her character not perfect but relatable. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

This drama has me confused. Is it a comedy or not?  I'm watching initially because I love listening to Joon Ki's voice.  However, I can't stand the over-the-top bad acting or character of the lady attorney.  I was really hoping the storyline was more like the beginning, but I'll stick with it for now.  So, this is black comedy?

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

13 hours ago, brooksmom said:

There are many critics here that rate this drama like Vincenzo rates the local Italian chef's cuisine. 

I like this drama just the way it is, odd humor and all.

Some people like expensive cakes from the best bakery in town. Some times you just want a birthday cake made at home from a box to enjoy with friends. Nothing fancy.

I can smile after watching this drama.

Thank you. I felt sad when I read these comments bcs I loved both episodes a lot and began to think that mb smth wrong with me.

I can vaguely predict what will be next but I truly enjoyed it.

I didn't actually want to watch it bcs I don't quite like SJK drama choices and also tired of Taec in goofy roles (I think age wise it will be better to switch his roles with DY but mb we don't know smth).

But my good friend insisted that I need to watch it so I did and really liked it. Mb bcs I'm watching kdramas for 20 years and I saw much much worse I didn't find Italian scenes cringy. Atleast I think Italians were actually actors and not some random foreigners as it usually in kdramas. And I think they did pretty well.

Also I liked these little switches that I cannot predict likewise party in the end of 2nd ep.

Also these Korean's reactions for foreign Koreans. You find it cringy, I am as Russian Korean who are living in Korea for 7 years find it very sad but true... Eh you can't even imagine how I sympathize to poor Vincenzo TT, bcs I was in his shoes so many times...

I'm looking forward for more.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

So after indecision, I decided to check drama. I remember trying to taper my expectation.weeks before this drama premiered, it's reported t's dark comedy.  I felt less enthisiastic.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:01 AM, jongski said:

All I want is for this drama to be serious gritty mob drama. I probably will not ge that. :(

There goes "serious" down the drain.  Hoping the writing and execution is well done  at least.  

On 2/5/2021 at 6:51 AM, jongski said:

Oh G Nooo I don't want this funny! Nope! No cringy humor. Otherwise  what a waste? Vincenzo  comes back to Korea.. and what? I don't mind a humor but should be done  witty and when the scene needs it. I don't mind something like "Cruel City. Heartless City.  like that drama too. 

But I decided to check.  Here I am now. Unfortunately it's nowhere near even that of Cruel City.

My thoughts about the drama.  It's a comedy with serious stuff instead of serious drama wih humor here and there.  I knew already this being labeled dark comedy..it's not what I like.  It's not bad, but it's not something I'm wowed about.

It's all over the place. Too many cast of characters from tenants to prosecutors to firms to B&H pharma, etc.

Vincenzo needs to kick the tenants,  demolish the building where the tenant and their businessess are. The gold bars hidden in a secret room. Should anyone tries to get the gold bars, the beams and columns will crumble trapping whoever tries to get it.

The only scene I like in ep 1 was the conversation with Vincenzo and lawyer Hong Yu Chan. He told Vincenzo he only trusted him because the tenants only have his words to go on but it's unfortunate because Vincezon's toying with them. Vincenco saying they are both laywers and have same jobs they represent people. But Yu Chan defined exactly the difference between the type of laywer they are.

Vicenzo represents money. Yu Chan represents people.

Vincenzo represents the rich ones. Yu Chan represents the people who struggle.

The two scenes I like in Ep 2, again the conversation with Vincenzo and Yu Chan when they were having a drink. When V asked about  being a public defender, Yu Chan said he's only defending one and that he truly pity her. The woman who's falsely accused of murder who abadoned her son and does not want trial because the woman believe it's her punishment.

I also like the scene with the antagonist, Jang Han Seo. He's suffering with the abused from the hockey stick from whoever is wearing that hockey jersey. The jerk hitting the puck onto the stomach. So in order to find out what's the what's going on have to keep watching.

in a video for the Poster Shoot Kwak Dong Yeon describing his character:

"Jang Han Seo is the president of one of the most prominent companies in South Korea. There are a lot of hidden secrets and stories related to [the character], so I hope you’ll learn about them by watching the drama.”

Could he be the abandone son..or is it Vincenzo?

So the long short of  of my post...I hope the comedy is turned down noth  and there's more serious  scenes. Humor is fine when it's  appropriate. With the two episodes it's draggy.   Too many scenes that probably not necessary.

I think I will like this better if it's more on the serious side.. it shows it does have one.

So did I get what  I want? Nope. 

But I agree with @brooksmom so it's worth to quote

16 hours ago, brooksmom said:

There are many critics here that rate this drama like Vincenzo rates the local Italian chef's cuisine. 

I like this drama just the way it is, odd humor and all.

Some people like expensive cakes from the best bakery in town. Some times you just want a birthday cake made at home from a box to enjoy with friends. Nothing fancy.

I can smile after watching this drama.

We watch for our own pleasure. What works for you may not work for others. I'm not enthusiastic about this drama but I want to watch some more because, I'm interested with Jang Han Seo part, tbh.

Thank you chingus. :)

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

I love this show. The first two episodes have me hooked. It is not at all what I expected, but I am pleasantly surprised to find it is full of eccentric characters and I like them all for the most part. Very much looking forward to each week's episodes.  

I haven't watched a Kdrama in a minute and I am someone who used to watch them faithfully. I think this one has pulled me back in. Time to see what else is out there to watch in the kdrama world. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

Hello!

New member here. Been a fan of SJK since Nice Guy/The Innocent Man days. I’ve followed all his projects and the thing I love about Vincenzo is it’s yet another different role that SJK is challenging. The good and evil aspect makes him stand out from your usual kdrama hero and I’m looking forward to seeing how his schemes are executed. I hope they stick with the “an eye for an eye” trope and not make him change solely to uphold the role of the main protagonist. 

My two cents on the drama so far, I can definitely do without the obnoxious humor which I know this writer is famous for. Nonetheless I’m willing to see it through. I’m invested enough in Vincenzo as a character and him becoming allies with the father and daughter duo. Speaking of which, do any of you think there will be a love line between Vincenzo and Hong Cha Young? I know many of you can’t stand her and I, too, think she can afford to tone it down a couple notches here and there. But overall, I like that her character is eccentric and fun contrary to the typical prim and proper female leads. JYB is also lovely and the dynamic between Vincenzo and HCY will certainly be a fun one to watch, at the very least. Not to mention how beautiful the two look so it’d be a waste to walk away without a love line in my opinion. And slightly because I’ve been deprived of SJK in an actual love type drama since DOTS so I’m really hoping the writer comes through despite his past dramas not having any love lines. 

It’s interesting reading reviews on here and reading reviews everywhere else. It’s as though you’re watching completely different dramas. Everyone else seems pleased and harping about how great it is while everyone here is either indifferent, dislike it, or confused lol. But I understand everyone has their own taste/opinions. Despite the varying reviews from international viewers, I’m glad it’s being well received in Korea. I hope the ratings will be as high or surpass that of its predecessor Mr Queen. Because of course I want to see nothing but success for SJK! He’s doing a great job per usual and I can’t wait to see the story unfold.

Edited by shinystar1985
  • Like 4
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

Vincenzo: Episode 1

by quirkycase

Vincenzo01-01689.jpg

The tvN dark comedy Vincenzo starring Song Joong-ki as a mafioso sounded so bonkers that I just had to check it out. Since the story is only beginning to take shape, it’s hard to know what to make of it yet. But I have to say, it’s more coherent than I anticipated. The premiere episode focuses predominantly on setup and introducing the large ensemble of characters central to the story. The wacky premise and cast of characters suggests we could be in for a lot of fun and hijinks. And, of course, there’s Song Joong-ki being all dark and mysterious which doesn’t hurt.

EPISODE 1

Vincenzo01-00105.jpg

VINCENZO CASSANO (Song Joong-ki) stands staring at a building and proclaims, “My goal is to tear this building down.” We see it crumble to the ground.

72 hours earlier, Vincenzo wakes in Rome and readies for the day. A chyron tells us he’s the consigliere – or legal advisor – for the Cassano mafia family. He’s driven to the heavily guarded mansion of someone named Emilio and presents him an offer from his recently deceased boss Fabio.It’s less of an offer and more of a threat, really, since Emilio killed a close friend of Vincenzo’s boss Fabio. When Emilio refuses complete with racist remarks, Vincenzo smiles and curses him in Korean before walking off.

During their conversation, a plane has been flying overhead crop dusting. But rather than pesticides, it’s been spraying the grounds with lighter fluid that Vincenzo ignites by tossing his lighter behind him on the way out. The vineyard goes up in flames. Emilio is very angry which we know by his intense gesticulating, grit teeth, and screams to the heavens.

Vincenzo goes straight to Fabio’s funeral where he stares at his open casket, calling him, “Father.” There’s tension between Fabio’s biological son Paolo and Vincenzo with Paolo whining about how his father trusted Vincenzo more. As the new boss, Paolo wants his “brother’s” loyalty which Vincenzo would happily give were he to deserve it. Damn.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/02/vincenzo-episode-1/

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

From Korean article in "STAR News" Interview for Taec's Singles photoshoot

Spoiler

The syncro rate between the character Junwoo and myself was very high.

The more I went to the second half of the play, the more I saw other features besides Junwoo's stupid look, so I pay a lot of attention when acting.

• Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

3 hours ago, kdramalover12 said:

Did anyone know what is song name that played in the party in episode 2 ?

I found the video that Vincenzo watches and gives them the idea for the party

https://youtu.be/pF7r67nd8SU

if you are talking about the song that you hear that says "Ciao Ciao amore mio" , the music is sure a tarantella, perhaps Sicilian.

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

Well, it is definitely interesting to read all the different perspectives in the thread.  I'm very happy to see a lot more positive posts about the premiere episodes:blush:

On 2/22/2021 at 3:50 AM, rita96 said:

Sorry to cut your post short, just wanted to highlight the above. That is such a good perspective to justify the way she behaves- a teenager around her dad. Now that you have pointed this out I realise she is mostly eccentric around her dad. Maybe she is more like this since there is no mom in the picture hence her father's approval probably means a lot more to her than we realise right now.

That's my interpretation. It's only when she he is around her Dad she really acts out like an attention-seeking teenager.  Also to a lesser extent around Vincenzo because she is jealous and suspicious of him.  Vincenzo has been there three days and is already has her Dad's trust and attention whilst she can barely get Dad to answer her calls :lol:  She is eccentric but we have seen at work and in Court she is mostly pretty normal.  She is good at her job, she is intelligent and her suspicions about Vincenzo's interest in the building are spot on!  I get why people wish it was toned down but overall I think she is an entertaining and unique female lead. The contrast with the enigmatic, poker faced Vincenzo and their bickering back and forth is so fun. I am positive her character will evolve over the course of the drama anyway.

I also wondered about Cha Young's mother.  No pictures in the house and I can't see anything about her mother on the official page.  Hong Yoo Chan's character profile mentions something about a wife and custody case but I don't understand because the Google translate isn't clear.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:01 PM, shinystar1985 said:
Spoiler

Hello!

New member here. Been a fan of SJK since Nice Guy/The Innocent Man days. I’ve followed all his projects and the thing I love about Vincenzo is it’s yet another different role that SJK is challenging. The good and evil aspect makes him stand out from your usual kdrama hero and I’m looking forward to seeing how his schemes are executed. I hope they stick with the “an eye for an eye” trope and not make him change solely to uphold the role of the main protagonist. 

My two cents on the drama so far, I can definitely do without the obnoxious humor which I know this writer is famous for. Nonetheless I’m willing to see it through. I’m invested enough in Vincenzo as a character and him becoming allies with the father and daughter duo. Speaking of which, do any of you think there will be a love line between Vincenzo and Hong Cha Young? I know many of you can’t stand her and I, too, think she can afford to tone it down a couple notches here and there. But overall, I like that her character is eccentric and fun contrary to the typical prim and proper female leads. JYB is also lovely and the dynamic between Vincenzo and HCY will certainly be a fun one to watch, at the very least. Not to mention how beautiful the two look so it’d be a waste to walk away without a love line in my opinion. And slightly because I’ve been deprived of SJK in an actual love type drama since DOTS so I’m really hoping the writer comes through despite his past dramas not having any love lines. 

It’s interesting reading reviews on here and reading reviews everywhere else. It’s as though you’re watching completely different dramas. Everyone else seems pleased and harping about how great it is while everyone here is either indifferent, dislike it, or confused lol. But I understand everyone has their own taste/opinions. Despite the varying reviews from international viewers, I’m glad it’s being well received in Korea. I hope the ratings will be as high or surpass that of its predecessor Mr Queen. Because of course I want to see nothing but success for SJK! He’s doing a great job per usual and I can’t wait to see the story unfold.

I really do admire Song Joong Ki for making an effort to challenge himself with different roles. Regarding your question, I believe Vincenzo will have a love line with Cha Young as he drama description states that Vincenzo falls in love ini Korea:wub:  I'm already feeling some sparks even though they don't like or trust each other yet!:sparklyeyes:

The scenes with Vincenzo and Hong Yoo Chan bonding were some of my favourites.  Yoo Jae Myung is such a good actor.  I have only seen him playing villains so it's nice to have him playing a good and selfless character like Papa Hong. This was one of the cutest moments and, apparently, it was an adlib:w00t:

Making video for Episodes 1 and 2

Lots of fun on set.  It always makes me wonder how cold they must be in costume when the BTS they are wearing big padded coats The cameos from Jung Soon Won, Jin Seon Kyu and Lee Hee Joon were very funny:lol:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2