Honest Reaction When Kpop Artists Say The N Word & Profit From Black Culture

• 11 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2020 at 12:56 AM, klent said:

This is a nice perspective on how some African American feel when they hear Asian say the N word and when Asian profit from the black culture

It is a refreshing perspective on the whole issue. A lot of people are protective of their own culture and for good reason. Black culture is being used everywhere and it is flattering to say the least. However, I believe there is a way to do it wrong and a way to do it right. I think BTS is doing it right. In my opinion, no one should say the n-word or any of its variations. Thanks for the share! :D

Edited by charlie_feeling
Clarity

• 2 months later...

If you aren't Black, you can NEVER say the n-word. Not even in a historical or educational context, nor of any spelling variation, English or foreign. It's really that simple, and violations to that rule are going to be judged very harshly. Usually, the end of one's career is the result, as well as social reputation. No need to further discuss this, in my opinion. If you do, do so at your own professional, and personal, risk. Even me saying, literally, "the n-word" (NOT the actual n-word) is subject to harsh criticism, but not at the level (yet) of professional destruction.)

There are other rules when it comes to racially- or ethnically-restricted words and actions as well. In general, if you are NOT of the ethnicity or race, then do not dress, talk, nor act in such a way that it resembles the ethnicity or race you are trying to "emulate." All such depictions are considered racist, how much damage is done may be subjective to trending narratives.

I have two words to anyone who wishes to object: Mr. Yunioshi. (Warning: Wikipedia article contains offensive imagery and depictions from the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's.")