larus

Premiere Watch: Undercover

by stroopwafel

premwatch_undercover1.jpg

Time slot: Friday & Saturday
Broadcaster: JTBC
Genre: Thriller, melo, action
Episode count: 16

Dramaland has just one new show premiering this week and our sole newbie is a remake of an acclaimed British show of the same name. Ji Jin-hee and Kim Hyun-joo headline as a married couple who, by all appearances, have a normal and healthy marriage. But, (and there’s always a “but”) as Kim Hyun-joo’s star rises at her workplace and she’s nominated for a political appointment, she begins to have suspicions about who her husband really is. Ji Jin-hee is indeed hiding something, and the discovery of his secret could have Kim Hyun-joo questioning the very foundations of their relationship. I’m pretty excited to see our lead pair back together (this is their second project together, the first being I Have a Lover) and both of them do so well with the thriller genre generally so I have high hopes for this project. (It’s also a reunion between PD Song Hyun-wook and Ji Jin-hee, as they worked together on the 2015 mini drama Lucid Dream.) Let’s see if JTBC can capture the magic (and ratings) that they had with their last BBC remake, A Couple’s World with Undercover.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/04/premiere-watch-undercover/

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 3

Hi everyone, i am here to support Undercover Drama. I really love Ji Jinhee since Dae Jang Geum era, he was to be likes my first korean actor crush :love:  really appreciate his steadily hard work. Misty, Designated Survivor, and now Undercover.

so excited for today's pilot episode.

this is will be my first time watching his pairing with Kim Hyun joo. Where i can watch I Have A Lover? Is is available on legal stream site?

• Like 4

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Undercover, 언더커버 - Fri & Sat @ 23:00 KST - Kim Hyun Joo & Ji Jin-hee
6 hours ago, Nanana85 said:

Where i can watch I Have A Lover? Is is available on legal stream site?

you can search  it on viki... I really love Ji Jinhee since Dae Jang Geum era too...i also watched I have a lover a 50 ep drama...i'm sure he will be a great job here too...

• Like 5

58580599741c42689a4a8df7652a975e.jpeg?s=

“Taxi Driver” Soars To Its Highest Friday Ratings Yet As “Undercover” Remake Premieres To Promising Start

Apr 24, 2021

by E. Cha

JTBC’s “Undercover” is off to a relatively strong start!

Based on the BBC series of the same name, “Undercover” is a new drama starring Ji Jin Hee as Han Jung Hyun, a National Intelligence Service (NIS) agent who gave up everything and has been hiding his identity ever since he fell in love with his wife Choi Yeon Soo (played by Kim Hyun Joo). When he gets caught up in an unexpected incident, he must fight to protect his family from powerful forces.

On April 23, the new drama premiered to solid viewership ratings for its first episode. According to Nielsen Korea, “Undercover” scored an average nationwide rating of 3.5 percent for its premiere.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1465733wpp/taxi-driver-soars-to-its-highest-friday-ratings-yet-as-undercover-remake-premieres-to-promising-start

• Like 3

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/04/688_307704.html

Ji Jin-hee and Kim Hyun-joo confident of continued chemistry in 'Undercover'

By Lee Gyu-lee | 2021-04-23

BDFA29A8-D69D-47EB-A273-23671C59F2DB.jpg

Actors Ji Jin-hee, from left, and Kim Hyun-joo, as well as director Song Hyun-woo, pose for pictures during an online media conference for JTBC's new series, "Undercover," Thursday. Courtesy of JTBC

Actors Ji Jin-hee and Kim Hyun-joo first teamed up in the same drama as co-stars in 2004 as the leads in the series, "Ms. Kim's Million Dollar Quest." Now, about four years after the two played a married couple in the 2016 romance series, "I Have a Lover," Ji and Kim have reunited as husband and wife in JTBC's new series, "Undercover."

"I was initially concerned that viewers might feel bored about our co-starring, because this is our third time," Ji said during an online media conference for the series, Thursday. "But with her, I felt free from such concern. That's how much faith I have in her."

Kim also expressed that she was ready to show their chemistry one more time. "Ji accepted the role first. I knew that many people would want to see us reuniting on the screen… so it didn't take long for me to decide to join the series," she added.

"For 'I Have a Lover,' Ji helped me a lot on the set. The reason viewers liked my character was that Ji made me shine (in the series)," she said. "So this time, I wanted to return that favor."

Based on BBC's crime drama of the same name, the series follows a married couple: civil rights lawyer Choi Yeon-soo (Kim), and intelligence agent Han Jung-hyun (Ji), who has been hiding his profession from his wife.

One day, Yeon-soo gets a chance to become the first chief of the Corruption Investigation Office for High-ranking Officials. But the new job leads her to reveal her husband's long-held secret, which puts her family at risk.

02821C07-5AE5-4838-81C7-8BF2A1B92725.jpg

Stills from the series / Courtesy of JTBC

The series' director, Song Hyun-woo, whose previous work includes the hit series, "Another Miss Oh," noted that the Korean adaptation will be an extension of the story covered in the U.K series.

"The original series ends after Nick (the husband) reveals his identity… but our series picks up in the middle of the story, and goes to what happens after," he said. "So this adaptation has an additional plot that was not part of the original one."

Hinting that the series will involve a lot of action scenes involving Ji, the director said "Undercover" will be a mixture of various genres.

"The series is about a man who has a secret past, who tries to save his family and loved ones from powerful adversaries and is also about a married couple's melodramatic romance, and riveting action with an element of film noir too," he said.

Ji added that the reason he chose his role was because of the character. "As the director said, there are different sides to my character. I had no reason to turn down the role," he said, adding that he liked how his character gets involved in a lot of action scenes. "Nowadays, most lead roles go to younger actors, but this series was made for an actor my age… which is rare. I took this project as a great opportunity."

"Undercover" will premiere on Friday at 11 p.m.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2021/04/24/2021042400313.html

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/04/22/entertainment/television/Ji-Jinhee-Kim-Hyunjoo-Undercover/20210422181100516.html

Ji Jin-hee Reunites with Kim Hyun-joo for Remake of BBC Series

April 24, 2021

24B7ACBC-6566-4E5F-BFB0-CE95910BD09B.jpg

Actors Ji Jin-hee, left, and Kim Hyun-joo pose for the camera at an online press event for their JTBC television series “Undercover” on Thursday. Adapted from the BBC series with the same title, the story revolves around a spy struggling against a massive power force to protect his family. [JTBC]

Actor Ji Jin-hee and actress Kim Hyun-joo are reuniting for a new TV series.

"Undercover," a remake of the BBC's 2016 six-part series, is their third project together and their first TV series in four years since they co-starred in "I Have a Lover," which aired from August 2015 to February 2016 on SBS.

When asked if his co-star had changed in the past four years at a press event on Thursday, Ji said, "Four years can go by quickly, but can also be quite a long time. She still looks the same, but I've found a new side of her, which I find very refreshing."

The series revolves around an intelligence agent who has been hiding his identity for a long time and a lawyer who tries to correct an old miscarriage of justice.

Expectations for the series are high due to its star-studded cast, which also includes Han Go-eun, Kwon Hae-hyo, Kyung-ri and Han Sun-hwa.

The first episode airs on Friday night on cable channel JTBC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, jongski said:

Not sub yet. Want to watch this already. I'll wait.

I think no legal streaming platform has picked this drama up.

Spoiler

So do volunteers want to form a subbing team for this drama like in the past? lol

This is a very promising drama. And it's a great pleasure to meet the main couple again.

Edited by Estelle
  • Like 3

A recap for Undercover Ep1

A pleasant start with the popularity of 'Undercover'! Ji Jin Hee X Kim Hyun Joo Crossed Destiny

"Undercover" was hot and intense from the start.

JTBC's Friday-Saturday drama "Undercover" was first aired in positive reviews on the 23rd. From the fateful meeting of Han Jung Hyun (Ji Jin Hee) and Choi Yeon Soo (Kim Hyun Joo), to the emergence of a dangerous uninvited guest who appeared in front of two people who lived by keeping their love and beliefs, the unremitting development caught the viewers at once. The stormy-night crisis, which devours a peaceful and harmonious daily life, has made us wonder about future developments. Above all, the thorough performances of Ji Jin Hee, Kim Hyun Joo, and acting masters, who have built up a solid narrative that runs through the past and the present, were also well received. The reaction of the viewers was also hot. The ratings for the first episode recorded 3.5 percent nationwide and 4.1 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area (based on Nielsen Korea, paid households), signaling a pleasant start.

The show gave Han Jung Hyun a strong impact from the opening as Choi Yeon Soo pointed a gun at him. The mixed sadness and confused feelings between the two attracted viewers, alluding to the tragedy they would encounter. And back in time, Han Jung Hyun and Choi Yeon Soo's family's harmonious daily life began. The morning scenery of the four families, including Han Jung Hyun, the sweetest man who runs a bicycle shop with his son, Choi Yeon Soo, his wife, a human rights lawyer with firm faith, and Seung Gu (Yoo Seon Ho) and Seung Mi (Lee Jae In ), was extremely ordinary and peaceful.

Choi Yeon Soo was fighting an unreasonable reality for a retrial of her long-time lawyer Hwang Jung Ho (played by Choi Kwang Il). He has been imprisoned for more than 30 years for being falsely accused of murder, and has been sentenced to death due to terminal pancreatic cancer. However, Hwang's retrial and suspension of execution were being postponed indefinitely, and the angry Choi Yeon Soo drew public attention when she made bomb remarks against those responsible for the case.

Meanwhile, Yoo Sang Dong (Son Jong Hak), a prosecutor-turned-lawmaker who is also the target of Choi Yeon Soo's shooting, and Lim Hyung Rak (Heo Jun Ho), a director of the NIS' planning and coordination office, had a secret meeting. The two men exchanged meaningful glances over who would be the first high-ranking officials to be appointed. What Lim Hyung Rak brought up was none other than Choi Yeon Soo's profile. Lim Hyung Rak and Yoo Sang Dong's words, "You have to cut it out quickly to save the country," which reveal uncomfortable feelings only with Choi Yeon Soo's presence, heralded an unusual crisis.

Meanwhile, an unwelcome and dangerous guest appeared in front of Han Jung Hyun. It was Do Young Gul (played by Jung Man Sik), a colleague and rival from the Agency for National Security Planning. The appearance of Do Young Gul, who called him "Lee Seok Kyu" rather than "Han Jung Hyun," recalled memories of the past that had been buried for many years. In the past, Lee Seok Kyu (=Han Jung Hyun/Yeon Woo Jin) was the best agent who was scouted by Oh Pil Jae (Kwon Hae Hyo) of the Agency for National Security Planning while attending the National Police University. At that time, he infiltrated the protest site to chase Kim Tae Yeol (played by Kim Young Dae), the chairman of the association, and met Choi Yeon Soo in the midst of the turbulent scene.

And finally, the moment came to determine the fate of Han Jung Hyun and Choi Yeon Soo. Choi Yeon Soo was perplexed by Kang Chung Mo (Lee Seung Jun), who said, "Atty. Choi Yeon Soo you have been nominated for the post of Senior Civil Servant Corruption Investigations Unit." Then in the top secret document handed over with Do Young Gul's order, "Your mission is to stop this person," the face of his beloved wife Choi Yeon Soo threw Han Jung Hyun into confusion. The photos of his precious family members' every move made him even angrier. Do Young Gul, who threw a mission to stop Choi Yeon Soo, who was nominated as head of the Senior Civil Servant Corruption Investigations Unit as a hostage for Han Jung Hyun's secret and family. "Welcome back, Lee Seok Kyu," his wry smile raised the heart rate, heralding an inevitable fight for Han Jung Hyun. He began to tighten his grip on him, summoning him back to his long-hidden identity and buried past.

"Undercover" proved the reason for the anticipated film, drawing explosive reactions from viewers at once. Like Do Young Gul's warning, "Don't you think a typhoon will come soon?" the upheaval that came to Han Jung Hyun and Choi Yeon Soo shook up their daily lives. Attention is focusing on why Lim Hyung Rak is trying to deny and block Choi Yeon Soo's existence, and what choice she will make after receiving an unexpected proposal. Lee Seok Kyu (=Han Jung Hyun), who was summoned again with a brutal mission to stop his wife who became a candidate for the head of the Senior Civil Servant Corruption Investigations Unit, and his lonely and fierce battle to protect his family's happiness against the huge forces is just beginning.

Meanwhile, the second episode of "Undercover" will air on JTBC at 11 p.m. today (24th).

Read full article here : https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/437/0000264663

Recap for Episode 2

'Undercover' Ji Jin hee and Jung Man Sik... Dangerous three-way encounter with Kim Hyun Joo

"Undercover" caused an unpredictable stir and made my hands sweat.

In the second episode of JTBC's Friday-Saturday drama "Undercover", which was aired on the 24th, Choi Yeon Soo was nominated for the head director of the Senior Civil Servant Corruption Investigations Unit, with the agony of Han Jung Hyun (played by Ji Jin Hee). Amid the sudden crisis, Han Jung Hyun (=Lee Seok Kyu) took a breathtaking view of his hidden past and his family's happiness. The ratings continued to be enthusiastic, recording 3.8 percent nationwide and 4.9 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area (based on Nielsen Korea, paid households).

Han Jung Hyun and Choi Yeon Soo were in turmoil. Han Jung Hyun felt the crisis lurking beyond Do Young Gul's (played by Jung Man Sik) mission to stop his wife, and Choi Yeon Soo faced a difficult but heavy choice ahead of a retrial of her longtime client Hwang Jung Ho (played by Choi Kwang Il). Above all, a word from Kang Choong Mo (Lee Seung Joon) that said, "You, me, and Tae Yeol dreamed of this country" shook Choi Yeon Soo's heart dreaming of a just world. But Han Jung Hyun could not say anything. He just watched his wife's worries and choices precariously.

Since his meeting with Do Young Gul, Han has sensed a sense of uneasiness surrounding him and his family. Recognizing someone's surveillance and tracking, he left for the sea at dawn with his family, and when the mysterious vehicle followed him, he engaged in his own chase without the family knowing. At the same time, a sad news was heard. His father Lee Man Ho (Park Geun Hyung), who was secretly in a nursing hospital, suddenly passed away. His pathetic life, in which he was forced to abandon the life of "Lee Seok Kyu" and ignore his father, was filled with resentment and remorse, but could not cry in front of his beloved family.

Choi Yeon Soo has decided to give up her position as the head of the Senior Civil Servant Corruption. On the day she became Hwang's lawyer, she could not forget her promise of never giving up to reveal his innocence and injustice. However, Choi Yeon Soo, who visited the hospital due to Hwang Jeong Ho's sudden call, heard unexpected words. "I want you to be the head of the Senior Civil Servant Corruption Investigations Unit," Hwang Jeong Ho said. "Please stop looking after people like me and make a world where people like me don't exist in the first place." "I'm firing you now," he said, introducing his new lawyer. Choi Yeon Soo was confused by his sincere party. However, knowing his firm determination for the cause, she could no longer dissuade them, and the hot tears of the two moved them.

Meanwhile, Do Young Gul has persistently tightened Han Jung Hyun. At last, his provocation, which he said he would meet Choi in person, was uncontrollable. Eventually, Han Jung Hyun, Choi Yeon Soo, and Do Young Gul faced each other in a dizzying three-way encounter. Do Young Gul, who finds Choi Yeon Soo, Han Jung Hyun, who is chasing him to stop him, and Choi Yeon Soo's gaze at Han Jung Hyun's firm face, which appeared with strangers, made a breathtaking ending.

In the show, attention was focused on the choice of Han Jung Hyun and Choi Yeon Soo. Han Jung Hyun was on the verge of being summoned for a long time, but he could not stop his wife Choi Yeon Soo. Choi Yeon Soo is also facing a dilemma between Hwang Jung Ho, who has been serving a prison term for more than 30 years for an unjust murder charge, and the world where justice and truth are still alive. The inner conflict between the two, and their conflicting personalities, made us wonder about their future developments. On top of that, attention is also being paid to Do Young Gul's move to bring about the typhoon.

The story of Cha Min Ho (played by Nam Sung Jin), a financial team member of the National Intelligence Service, who faced a mysterious death, also added to the curiosity. The case that ended with suicide was full of suspicion. In his last voice message left by his wife (played by Kim Hye Jin), he asked for Choi Yeon Soo to commission the case, and even suspicious messages were captured between the mysterious man who appeared in the junkyard and Lim Hyung Rak (played by Heo Jun Ho). As much as he guessed an unusual incident, not just suicide, attention is being paid to Choi Yeon Soo's performance. Above all, the choice of Han Jung Hyun and Choi Yeon Soo, who are at the crossroads of fate, raises questions about what kind of turmoil they will create.

Read full article here : https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/437/0000264679

It's so sad that there are very limited platforms where we can watch it with English sub. :criesariver:

Good thing it's available here in The Philippines through K-Plus Asia Channel, through scheduled airing and replays. It would have been nice if a legal streaming app will pick it up so we can watch it anytime, anywhere. 

Undercover deserve better! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

No legal streaming site for this drama...

Netflix iqiyi viu nothing.

thanks for updates...it seems strange that was no sutitles...i kept waiting so i can watch ep 1,2...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Yeah I am so sad that there are no subs, I wanted to watch this as well. Could they come later?.

I am hoping that subtitles will come later? How come this drama doesn`t have subtitles like other shows?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Me to. I wonder that myself. the drama before this one did.

From what I read, this drama is not released on legal sites like other dramas. Those sites provide subtitles.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Oh okay, that sucks. Thanks for the info.

i agree... i'm so sorry... i love the main actors...i couldn't wait to watch them together...maybe one day will watch it complete on netflix...

• Like 2