[Drama 2023] The Uncanny Counter 2, 경이로운 소문 2

ferily

Great episode.  Episode 13 thoughts in spoiler

Spoiler

- I don't think I need to say anything else besides: that kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

- loved all the conversation banter between the Counters in this episode especially the Chairman and his "tiki-taka":lol: and Mrs Chu recognising that becoming a counter has taken a toll on SM's cheerful personality:(

- the scene at the end from the Counters walking holding the staffs and So Mun summoning the Territory at will looked so cool:coolshades:

- I think on of the really interesting things about this drama is that it has given a lot of depth to Ji Cheong Shin.  He is very much a product of his abusive bringing as we have seen how he was abused and exploited by both his "fathers" and that made him easy prey for the evil spirit.  We see he is capable of kindness and empathy.  I think things really could have been different for him if he had been brought up by people who cared about him:tears: Well done to Lee Hong Nae for his excellent acting playing this terrifying but strangely tragic character.

(I made a mistake last week and thought the person JCS was speaking to was the mayor but it wasn't:sweatingbullets:)

- Happy rookie police officer was good.  Mo Tak and rookie police officer's mini sting operation to catch the killers of JY was so satisfying. Glad MT got some closure and they didn't drag it out until the last week.  Good riddance to those crooked cops.

- I was surprised the mayor was the actual murderer but thinking back we never actually saw Noh Hang Gyu committing the murder, only cleaning up the mess.  I thought the Mayor's secretary would have a bigger role in getting him convicted. 

- How the tables have turned for the mayor's bully son. See how his fake friends are nowhere to be found now he is a criminal's son.

- so happy to see So Mun's friends in this episode again.  Looks like we will see his grandparents in the next episode too :happydance:

Not really a spoiler but I thought it was so funny Baek Hyang-hee is supposed to be in hiding and inconspicuous but she is still wearing bright eyeshadow, coloured mascara and has a glam manicure.  Forever a fashionista even on the run!:lol:

• Like 3

094f80b64a864a98b3ecc56500524230.jpeg?s=

“The Uncanny Counter” Announces Unexpected Departure Of Writer Midway Through Show

Jan 17, 2021
by E. Cha

The writer of OCN’s “The Uncanny Counter” has officially left the drama.

On January 17, a representative of the hit OCN drama announced, “Due to differing opinions about the later episodes, writer Yeo Ji Na has stepped down from the show as a result of mutual agreement.”

The representative went on to state, “Writer Yeo Ji Na wrote the script through Episode 12, and director Yoo Sun Dong wrote the script for Episode 13.”

Episode 13 aired on January 16, meaning that Yeo Ji Na’s final episode of the drama already aired last week. “The Uncanny Counter” is planning to have a new writer take over for Yeo Ji Na for the remaining episodes of the series.

“The Uncanny Counter,” which stars Jo Byeong Gyu and Kim Sejeong as demon hunters with superpowers, is currently scheduled to air its finale (Episode 16) on January 24.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1449073wpp/the-uncanny-counter-announces-unexpected-departure-of-writer-midway-through-show

---------------------------

I'm confused. Did they not already finish filming for season 1? How can they still be looking for a writer for episodes 14-16 then?

• Shocked 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, selen4ever said:

I'm confused. Did they not already finish filming for season 1? How can they still be looking for a writer for episodes 14-16 then?

Yes, they have finished filming. They only released the news yesterday. I suppose because they knew people would notice the change in the writing credits. 

The writer for episodes 14-16 is Kim Sae Bom

Usually I would be worried but I actually thought episode 13 was really good (except for that part with the kid)  I'm glad to see the new writer has some experience at least. I do wonder what kind of disagreement they had for Yeo Ji Na to leave 4 episodes from the end on a hugely successful, record-breaking drama.  They are trying to downplay as a "small disagreement" but I don't believe that if the lead writer left/fired over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the updates @Jillia:Megathanks:I haven't had time to post much on the thread this week but still diligently watching.

I suppose they made Son Ho Jun's kind of wavy I guess but it doesn't seem curly enough to be a counter. I saw on Naver comments that in the webtoon there is a Counter B team.  Maybe he is from that team?  I wonder why they dispatched a healer Counter to help?  

On 1/19/2021 at 12:09 AM, Bojun said:

That was an interesting ep 14. Looks like So Mun developed the same power as the level four spirit. 

That was definitely a surprise!  So has SM been working on this quietly without letting anyone else know?

I am going to miss Ji Cheong Shin as the antagonist.  I hope they find a way to bring him back. Was so awesome to see Hana and Baek Hyang-hee fighting again. hope they can finish their battle in the next episode.  it also seems like we don;t know everything about Hana's story from BHH's words.

I loved how the drama handled the closing on that chapter of Suho's life.  Mrs Chu was so sweet about his wife moving on.  The scene with Suho when his wedding picture disappeared broke my heart for him.  All those years the picture was obviously so precious to him.  This mother and son make me so emotional :cry:

Episode 13-14 making video

There are some fun new videos on OCN channel with the demon actors but there are no English subs :tired:

• Blob 1

Thanks @JilliaSo sweet reading their good bye messages!:please:

I really enjoyed the new Counter in this episode.  I wish he could have stayed around at least until the next episode.  He was a lot of fun and had surprisingly believable chemistry with the rest of the Counters. Now I understand why they sent a healer counter.  The healing power seems like a pretty thankless one.  It's the only power that takes a physical toll on the Counter.   It's not even like the healing is just for the team but Mrs Chu has to heal their nasty enemies too knowing that it is depleting her energy and making her unwell.  You would have to be a very empathetic and selfless person to keep using that power.

Good for Hana overpowering and defeating BHH all by herself.  I'm glad she isn't dead as that means we might see her again.

So mun and his friend are so forgiving.  I don't think i could have been so forgiving and nice after the way he bullied them in the past.  I suppose SM seeing his miserable memories made him more empathetic.

So this means SM has two Yung partners now?  I think I like the personality of this Yung partner from what we have seen. It was also so cute when SuHo asked his mum if she was Ok and she made that cute little gesture and he gave her a finger heart.  They are so adorable!

The mayor's new slicked back "bad guy" hair and "bad guy" eyeliner makes me giggle:P

One part that bothered me in this episode:

Spoiler

Why didn't they take the Mayor's body with them and everybody go back to the shop together?  It didn't make sense to split up especially when they knew they weren't able to overpower him before. 

I felt like this episode was a little slower like the calm before the storm. I do wonder how they are going to defeat him?  Looking forward to the final episode tomorrow!

• Love 1

Just watched ep 15 and I'm surprised the rating went below 9%. I guess people want more action and admittedly there were a few hiccups. It was a very bad decision for the counters to separate, knowing that the evil spirit can transfer between the mayor and his son. Considering it is unlikely something will happen between So Mun and Ha-na, the writers should not have included the scene when Mo-tak was teasing the two. The moment when So Mun's eyes glowed blue after absorbing the second Yung spirit was cool. I hope the final episode is really good because I'm hoping they can beat their highest rating.

• Blob 2

It took another death for them to realise that they need to always work together.

I appreciated Son Ho Jun's appearance as it did add to SM's powers (although I was sad at how this came about.)

It's the final episode tonight so I'll just sit back and enjoy the final BIG BOSS!

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2020/2021] The Uncanny Counter, 경이로운 소문 - Season 2 coming in late 2021/early 2022
18 hours ago, Bojun said:

Just watched ep 15 and I'm surprised the rating went below 9%. I guess people want more action and admittedly there were a few hiccups. It was a very bad decision for the counters to separate, knowing that the evil spirit can transfer between the mayor and his son. Considering it is unlikely something will happen between So Mun and Ha-na, the writers should not have included the scene when Mo-tak was teasing the two. The moment when So Mun's eyes glowed blue after absorbing the second Yung spirit was cool. I hope the final episode is really good because I'm hoping they can beat their highest rating.

I don't mind the teasing because it's typical of adults teasing kids who are friends and the kids rolling the eyes and telling them to stop.

I think the ratings decrease is because some people think the recent episodes aren't as good and are not happy about the original writer stepping down.  Unfortunately, I think the slight controversy with the writer stepping down created some negativity about the drama.  I wish we could know what the original writer had planned because I could definitely see there was a different feel in these later episodes.  The drama was exploding in popularity when she was writing so why exactly did the production disagree so vehemently that she came off the drama?  Even so, the ratings in the 8% are still excellent and incredibly high for OCN so that shows just how high expectations are for this drama!

16 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

It took another death for them to realise that they need to always work together.

I appreciated Son Ho Jun's appearance as it did add to SM's powers (although I was sad at how this came about.)

It's the final episode tonight so I'll just sit back and enjoy the final BIG BOSS!

Right?  They should have realised that a long time ago!  I was surprised how much Son Ho Jun gelled with the drama.  Sad we won't see him return.

I really enjoyed the final episode and I the satisfactory way it wrapped everyone's stories - even the mayor's son. Also want to given an honourable mention for the underrated but awesome Chairman Jang-Mul who doesn't get as much love as the main four Counters.  Loved the compilation of our Counters kickarse moments throughout the drama at the end. 

I do have some quibbles like what happened to the new Yung and So mun's healing power and Mrs Chu's illness(set up for Season 2?) from episode 15, the new telekinesis power wasn't explained well, Mun's friends were used  and the PPL was so jarring.  

I wanted to wait until the drama ended to decide what I thought about the new writer.  I do agree these later episodes were not as strong and there was an obvious shift in the tone and storytelling. It wasn't bad and still very enjoyable but there was a marked difference in feeling to the earlier episodes.  To be fair, I feel like so many K-dramas tend to be weaker in the second half anyway and it isn't easy to board a drama in the last quarter.  Regardless, what always remained strong was the acting and the amazing chemistry between the Counters.  I'm not usually one for multi-season dramas but I'm excited to see season 2 of this drama:blush:

Episode 16 scored 11% which is the highest rating of the whole drama (and any OCN drama ever!) so I'm sure they are happy!:piggydance:

Thanks to this drama to introducing me to so many great actors from the main cast to our favourite evil spirit couple to the supporting cast. I am looking forward to their future projects.  Thanks also to OCN who gave the audience so many great behind the scenes goodies AND English subs!:fullofhearts:

• Like 1

I watched the finale without the subs.  A nice ending and a new set of uniform for our counters.  They looked like they are being promoted to the next level of executives.:tounge_wink:  So mun met his parents atlast.

:heartxoxo:

sHHsMsK.gif

ddvaFyC.gif

Maknae is adorable:heart3:

x9xtp2F.gif

cr: dc gall

• Love 1

I was expecting a more drawn out fight scene in the finale but it ending up being just the opening act as the finale was all about tying up loose ends. Finally So Mun meets his long lost parents, Ha-na has found peace and Mo-tak has found justice. Happy that they reached their highest rating ever and am looking forward to season 2. Going to be interesting who their nemesis is going to be considering they already fought a level 4.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bojun said:

I was expecting a more drawn out fight scene in the finale but it ending up being just the opening act as the finale was all about tying up loose ends. Finally So Mun meets his long lost parents, Ha-na has found peace and Mo-tak has found justice. Happy that they reached their highest rating ever and am looking forward to season 2. Going to be interesting who their nemesis is going to be considering they already fought a level 4.

Yes, I was expecting a bigger fight. I also expected the Counters would have some sort of clever plan but it was just to meet up in the location of choice of the villain and everybody else gets their bums kicked until SM got mad enough for his new powers to kick in?  I also didn't like that forced angst when the mayor revealed he had kidnapped Mun's grandparents and SM hesitated.  SM's hesitation made no sense because the sooner he defeated the mayor, the sooner he would lose his powers and his grandparents would escape his clutches.

I am still definitely looking froward to Season 2.  it will be nice to see cheerful Mun back now he has finally spoken to his parents and what they will face this time.  I hope we see the new Yung and SM's new healing power because episode 16 seemed to forget that had even happened:unsure:

Comparison with the webtoon and drama scene in their suits:

The Counters with their amazing stunt doubles:

Yeom Hye Ran (Mrs Chu) Netflix interview.  She looks so pretty!  They should let Mrs Chu dye her hair like Son Ho Jun's character did.

Thanks a lot for the gifs :glasses:@pad-hari

• Love 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2020/2021-] The Uncanny Counter, 경이로운 소문 - Season 2 coming in late 2021/early 2022
On 1/25/2021 at 3:54 PM, raziela said:

Yes, I was expecting a bigger fight. I also expected the Counters would have some sort of clever plan but it was just to meet up in the location of choice of the villain and everybody else gets their bums kicked until SM got mad enough for his new powers to kick in?  I also didn't like that forced angst when the mayor revealed he had kidnapped Mun's grandparents and SM hesitated.  SM's hesitation made no sense because the sooner he defeated the mayor, the sooner he would lose his powers and his grandparents would escape his clutches.

Haha, such good points!

I really enjoyed it. It was really fun, and also genuinely scary at times. The evil spirits were so scary!

I'm so happy that Yu Jun-Sang was in a good show. His last two were... uh, not as good.

And I will always root for Yeom Hye-Ran. The whole cast was great, and I'm looking forward to S2.

• Love 1

Final making video:bawling:

1 hour ago, chickfactor said:

Haha, such good points!

LOL! I noticed a few inconsistencies like this. I think this was down to the issues caused by the writer upheaval.

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

I really enjoyed it. It was really fun, and also genuinely scary at times. The evil spirits were so scary!

I'm so happy that Yu Jun-Sang was in a good show. His last two were... uh, not as good.

And I will always root for Yeom Hye-Ran. The whole cast was great, and I'm looking forward to S2.

Yes, I'm really happy for all the amazing cast.  They all got a big boost out of The Uncanny Counter from the stars to the supporting actors.

A special variety show will air on TVN and OCN called The Uncanny Return this Sunday 7th February with lots of the cast.

OCN also created a cool new title sequence including the supporting cast to promote

• Love 1

EVENT: My Ultimate Oppa - Part 2

Your request has been granted. :kiss_wink: We put up a new My Ultimate Oppa poll!

This time featuring:

Ahjussi oppas, Super Ahjussi oppas, Grandpa oppas and Keanu Reeves

Please vote for your favorites!

re: @Lmangla

:partyblob:

• Where's My Oppa? 1

• 11 months later...

Bringing this thread back alive after an year... I finally got to watch Uncanny Counter, which btw I LOVED!!!

What I'm wondering though, is there really going to be a season 2? There hasn't been any announcement about it at all so I'm wondering if it's still going to happen? (I read season 1 of the webtoon and read part of season 2 so far)

• ferily changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2023] The Uncanny Counter 2, 경이로운 소문 2 - Jo Byeong Gyu, Yoo Jun Sang, Kim Se Jong, Yum Hye Ram - Sat & Sun @ 21:20 KST - Premieres July 29th, 2023

“The Uncanny Counter 2” Teases Epic Battle Against New Demons

“The Uncanny Counter 2” Teases Epic Battle Against New Demons

tvN’s “The Uncanny Counter 2” has unveiled its main posters!

Based on the hit webtoon of the same name, “The Uncanny Counter” is a superhero drama starring Jo Byeong Gyu, Kim Sejeong, Yoo Joon Sang, and Yeom Hye Ran as demon hunters with supernatural powers. Two and a half years after the first season’s successful run, the drama is returning with its long-awaited second season next month.

In the first of the two newly released posters, the Counter squad is back together and stronger than ever. With the new addition of Na Jeok Bong (played by Yoo In Soo) and the return of Choi Jang Mool (Ahn Suk Hwan), Counters So Moon (Jo Byeong Gyu), Do Ha Na (Kim Sejeong), Ga Mo Tak (Yoo Joon Sang), and Choo Mae Ok (Yeom Hye Ran) are ready to take on whatever evil comes their way.

The caption confidently declares, “Let’s get rid of all the demons in this world!”

The-Uncanny-Counter-2-3.jpeg

Meanwhile, the second poster highlights the new evils the Counter squad will go up against in Season 2: Pil Gwang (played by Kang Ki Young of “Extraordinary Attorney Woo”), Gelly (Kim Hieora of “The Glory”), and Wing (Kim Hyun Wook).

Their caption promises, “You pathetic weaklings, we’ll end you in an instant!”

The-Uncanny-Counter-2-2-1.jpeg

“The Uncanny Counter 2: Counter Punch” will premiere on July 29 at 9:20 p.m. KST. Check out the first teaser for the drama here!

Source: Soompi