[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Dating In The Kitchen 我喜欢你

sugarplum892

I caught 4 episodes. I’m not exactly hooked yet but it’s easy to watch as it is light-hearted and doesn’t require a lot of concentration (eg the food preparation scenes). The plot relies quite a bit on coincidences and some details require a suspension of disbelief (like

Spoiler

how did the fried rice not get wet when the fire sprinklers were activated? How could the ML and his PA even finish all the dishes they ordered to punish the FL? With her superb cooking skills, how could she not find a better job elsewhere?)

It may not be a good idea to watch it on an empty stomach as there are many scenes of cooking and food.

One weak point is FL’s best friends. FL seems to have a poor eye when it comes to choosing her friends.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jimmylyne said:

@pad-hari  The BTS was so funny..I was curious ..are they use their own voices ? Not a dubbing?.. like the most of Cdrama has did..

It seems to me, its their own voices.  Somebody can clarify on this, please? Thanks.

Some of our ML pics.  He is gorgeous!!!!:sweet:especially in specs!!!!:kiss_wink:

ZghAAIF.jpg

ykA48PV.jpg

eoRCwOe.jpg

Spoiler

S8BmFvy.jpg

Cr: Weibo

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 2

@SC2019, @jimmylyne Hi! Didn't expect to see you here. :heythere:

Currently I'm watching Count Your Lucky Stars. I didn't want to watch 2 dramas at the same time but I found the clip from WeTV and it was so funny that I decided to give it a try. I've heard of ZLS so many times but this is her first drama I watch. When she spoke Korean in the first episode I felt like I was watching a kdrama :lol: I've never heard of the ML before. Even though I don't find him as the handsome type and he looks older than he's supposed to in the drama (he is supposed to be 35 I think?) I find their chemistry is quite good. 

I heard this drama is adapted from a novel. I'm wondering if anyone in this forum has read it? The synopsis I read says GSN was dating the head chef and they have broken up because he was cheating on her. And what about LJ's brother who happens to be her friend? Are these plots from the books? 

3 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

It seems to me, its their own voices.  Somebody can clarify on this, please? Thanks.

I believe it's not dubbed. You can hear they have the same voices from the BTS. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Actually I don’t find the ML  Particularly handsome As lean men aren’t my thing But he is charming, intelligent, Sophisticated, elegant, quirky, romantic, honest and altogether cool. He is not a completely clueless  In denial Jackass Or manboy with childhood trauma1!1  in other words.  Call it a win! 

• Like 5

Trailer summary of E19 and 20

Spoiler

E19 - LJ is punching the duffle bag at a gym, he has punched so hard that his hands are bleeding. GSN tells him to stop and go home, she points out the bleeding fists. He turns away (in anger?) but then kisses GSN with zeal. Tears stream down her face, and she looks pained. LJ keeps apologising to her, incessantly and says let's go home. GSN sweeps his fringe and kisses him in turn, of course he can't resist the invitation.

E20 - GSN is ill and is in bed. She is describing how LJ's mother looked when she was angry, that her hair was out of place (standing on ends?). This makes LJ laugh. GSN says "But she said something to me, that I reminded her of her when she was young. Was she complimenting me or reprimanding me, that I am not sure." LJ says, she was complimenting you, and proceeds to kiss her fingers (ooh... that is such a sweet move, coming from him.) He tells her to pass her illness to him too and attempts to kiss her. She puts her arms around his neck and says that she wants to eat canned fruits. He protests, there are preservatives in there! I'll go get you fresh fruits if you really want to eat fruits. She objects, her grandpa used to buy her fruits when she was sick, and eating medicine didn't help but having the canned fruits worked for her. She becomes coquettish and starts throwing tantrums, asking that he get her the canned fruits. He agrees (stands up and straigthens his jacket in a business like manner and leaves the room while repeating canned fruits like the chanting of a mantra). Turns out that he got his entire office to work on pickling or preserving fruits in jars to acquiesce to GSN's cravings. [gee, what lengths he will go to, in giving in to her...] The scene ends with his trusty assistant saying "You can't be serious, boss, making your own canned fruits. LJ replies, "Let's begin."

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

@RobinM that thought never crossed my mind...but now that you mention it :sweatingbullets:

Highlights of E13 and 14

Spoiler

E13 - GSN goes on her usual de-stress method, i.e. terrorising the vendors in the wet market to sell her items at way below retail price. [so the device she threw in the trailer of this episode is like a lie detector???] She aims her trustee lie detector at the vendors (the first victim is a salted duck egg vendor) and gets away with huge bargains. As they use e-wallets,  LJ is busy making amends; for every vendor she terrorises, he scans the QR code and tops up, at times even giving them more than what is worth. This leads to the two-attempt kiss trailer scene. Considering how much she has bought (at least from the market scenes), the shopping bag they end up with ain't that big. Continuing from the trailer, they don't get to kiss and GSN closes the door to her apartment after entering it. The light in the corridor goes off leaving LJ in the dark. He tries to make a sound/motion to turn the light back on, but the damn thing just won't turn on and he mutters at the light asking what on earth it's trying to do (turning on when it's not supposed to and remaining shut when it's required to be on). GSN talks to her tortoise, do you love me, she asks the pet? On the other side, we see LJ holding the spoon and trying to confess that he loves GSN to the spoon. This goes on for quite a bit until the timing on both sides are in sync; with one asking the question and the other answering instantaneously; she pretends to respond to a love confession. [it's hilarious watching GSN as she falls off her chair in glee at the thought.]  

The next part of the show focuses on LJ's mum and LM trying out the food that GSN prepares (probably like a food tasting session in anticipation of an event?) LJ joins them unexpectedly and he tries to rationalise that he's the head of this hotel, so he should be there to try the food as well. His mum passes comments about the food and its preparation and they are unsavoury comments; these words eventually reach GSN's ears. So for the next dish, she appears in person during the serving of the food, and to her dismay finds that the dish has been switched. Of course, it's the former head chef who is trying to discredit her. LJ's mum leaves in a huff, at the incident. LJ locates the dispirited GSN and tells her he trusts her and asks her to go home to rest; he will sort this matter out. Together with CZQ, the duo put up a ruse and trick the former head chef into confessing that it was his doing, and in doing so audio records his confession. 

The next part is tricky, GSN's bestie and the designer uncle kick up a row at the gate of LJ's mansion, insisting that GSN is being treated unfairly and giving their two cent's appraisal of the situation. Words are exchanged between the duo and LM and LJ's mum (who is trying to defend her actions). Before things get ugly, GSN and LJ appear. LJ tells his mother to give him some face, that he has investigated the matter and it is not GSN's fault. He signals to them to leave and says he will call her.

Mother and son have a heart to heart talk. She points out that he is not behaving like himself. He denies it, I am still your son. His mother says, for you to get involved hands-on in the incident is definitely not like you. He says, people will change; and the mother says she agrees, it's a big change. He explains, the reason I took a personal interest in this matter is that it pertains to your reputation. My findings are that it's not GSN's fault, and I hope that you don't pursue this matter. The mother knows the son well and says it's more likely that you don't want GSN to suffer due to the wrong accusations. You are both very important to me (as he says it, his facial expressions indicate a plea). The mother says, well then, I don't want people to say that as a senior, I am making life difficult for someone younger than me. She insists on inviting GSN to a meal to clear the air, and the son says, its just dinner among the three of us right? [I should have realised that this sentence was a foreshadowing of what is to come, truly the son knows the mother best, when he said she can be ruthless......]

LJ informs GSN about this meal and the reason. GSN says she still has the jitters thinking about the last incident, no thanks. LJ says don't worry you won't be cooking, we'll have dinner at a hotel. GSN asks for time to think, LJ presses her for an answer but GSN says to give her time to think. 

E14 - GSN gets advice from her bestie and the designer uncle about the request to meet up for a meal, and decides that she will go. LJ and GSN are in the car. GSN has brought a gift along, a cake that she baked (with green tea toppings but chocolate filling) and she describes the cooking process... LJ is busy imagining the taste and you can tell he is savouring the anticipation. Guess what, the cake is for CZQ, not the mother (big joke). LJ teases GSN and says he thought that she would stay longer in CZQ's room to have the cake together and grins when she says she didn't do that. Just before entering the restaurant, GSN says she needs to use the toilet, once she's anxious she wants to use the loo.

The next part takes on a different tone. LJ discovers that it's not a meal for three and asks his mother what this means. It's teppanyaki style. GSN rushes in and of course gets a shock to see so many faces there, including LM and CZQ. LJ tries to make GSN feel important by giving her his seat in the centre but LM points to the seat at the side. LM suggests that GSN offer a toast to LJ's mum, which she does, together with her well wishes but the mother does not offer a toast in return and GSN is left standing. LJ tells her to sit. LJ's mum puts her on the spot by highlighting her cooking prowess and telling her to take over from the teppanyaki chef in the centre of the table. LJ asks LM to join GSN as she too is skilled in this aspect but his mother says that is beneath her position [this points to the obvious, that LM is of a higher status than GSN]. GSN is sporting and takes over from the chef, stating that she hasn't done this before... Not only is she asked to cook, but she's asked to distribute the meat that is cooking on the stove. LJ's face all this while speaks volumes about his distaste of what is going on and he finally says he too can cook and will take over from GSN. He grabs her apron from behind (LM had insidiously asked her to put on the apron, for fear of dirtying her clothes but it's meant to demean her in front of everyone else and put her in her place.) As soon as LJ stands next to her, GSN runs out of the room and into a taxi, tears fall and she is overcome with grief. LJ's face appears calm but he is seething with anger and his mother stands up in surprise as the son runs after the girl.

The next scene is the trailer scene. He takes the blow for GSN and tears are streaming down her face. She sees the blood streaming down his forehead (though I thought he got hit from behind, so why is the blood in front, lol) and tugs at his arm, telling him she wants to bring him to the hospital. He says he is fine. She yells at him "Why didn't you dodge the bottle? Do you know how dangerous it was, that you could die?" LJ replies, "I didn't want to see you get injured." GSN says, "I am not worth it, for you to get injured because of me." LJ counters, "You are worth it." GSN continues, "I am not worthy of you defending me."  "You are worth it.... because I have fallen in love with you." They stare into each others' eyes and the snow begins to fall. She lets her bag fall to the ground, tiptoes and leans into kiss him, followed by a hug and the camera zooms out to them kissing again amidst the falling snow.

[there are other scenes regarding GSN's bestie and how she reconciles with Meng Xin Jie, LJ's assistant. And before the episode ends, the show introduces LJ's half brother, same father, different mother. The mother is asking the son to keep a look out as LJ is in Suhai.. who knows if he is eyeing your dad's inheritance? The son doesn't appear to be a serious threat, I suspect it's more the mother who is going to stir things up. So, we finally get to see the woman that the father left for when abandoning LJ and his mother, and of course LJ's father. I can't wait to see how this show is going to present all these on a plate to us (pun intended)!]

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

Wow Mama in ep 14 you really f...d up ...not classy at all to lie to your son and almost 99.9 new daughter in law ...But our man LJ is classy and goes after his honey without an ounce of hesitation .  Now i just want to make that cake , who has the recipe please post because this drama is opening up such wonderful desires / appetite LOL 

:cookie::heart:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Highlights of E13 and 14

Spoiler

Hhhh... frankly, I wish the drama didn't go to THAT route (wicked mom & jealous female supporting char). I thought earlier we'd get a rather refreshing take, like a hard-to-please but not necessarily going overboard mother, or another female character who harbors one-sided love but is still sensible. I actually quite liked Li Man before. Sure, she had feelings for him and saw GSN as a competition, but she was still logical. Her criticism towards GSN's Wellington beef was actually valid. Then the show had to make her take petty actions like deleting GSN's call record. Also, writers didn't need to make LJ too heroic and a knight in white armor. I, for one, love that our cold, smart, and business-like CEO can be silly, awkward & childish around his love lol. I'm also not digging the potential evil half brother arc, based on the latest trailers. Writers perhaps wanted to spice things up and added a little plot, so I'm hoping we'll get a humorous twist to these cliche tropes. 

On the other hand.... THEY FINALLY KISSED! :wub:

• Like 7

@caranita 

Spoiler

Mama ain't so much evil but ruthless I reckon as her son put it. She will resort to under handed ways to protect her son and her empire, though I suspect the order or priority is reversed. Her son will inherit her empire so its her empire that she will protect, more out of survival instincts than anything else. I can't wait to see his mum interacting with the other woman, and LJ interacting with the father. 

On a side note, I think LYS the actor has no issues being the prickly boss but I get a faint hint that portraying tenderness and lovey dovey scenes is a bit of a stretch for him. Its fine for this show because he is in character, I suppose. Its just me being a little greedy and hoping for that little bit more when he is with her... Or perhaps in his head, he too can't get over how young his Co-star is and its the pairing of this show that is the mental hurdle. (this is not a criticism of ZLS's acting, she is dedicated for sure to her career) 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

As i read the novel..in the middle of the story focus in LJ dad curent Fam (his step brother and Mom). His step bro is Ok.but step mom is full of harsh comment and hatred.

And about LJ feel about his dad ( sickness and feel deep inside)

So if the story follow the novel,the wick mom in law to be and secretry wont continue too long

Edited by Sashismee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, jadore1 said:

Wow Mama in ep 14 you really f...d up ...not classy at all to lie to your son and almost 99.9 new daughter in law ...But our man LJ is classy and goes after his honey without an ounce of hesitation .  Now i just want to make that cake , who has the recipe please post because this drama is opening up such wonderful desires / appetite LOL 

:cookie::heart:

LJ decisions seem to be always smart and rational..he apparently type of man who knows what's he wanted ...love how he frankly told his mom about GSN with all the "I'm still chasing her" which make his mom guite surprised... because he can always choose anyone of the rich daughters but he only wanted GSN..

On the side note.. what's kind of mother forgot his only son birthday? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sashismee said:

As i read the novel..in the middle of the story focus in LJ dad curent Fam (his step brother and Mom). His step bro is Ok.but step mom is full of harsh comment and hatred.

And about LJ feel about his dad ( sickness and feel deep inside)

So if the story follow the novel,the wick mom in law to be and secretry wont continue too long

Didn't know that the step brother arc is also from the novel. Oh well, I withdraw my earlier comment in that regard! LOL.

By the way, have you guys seen the viral clips of the steamy kissing scenes in ep 19? Phew!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I think what draws me to LJ's character is that he not only has the IQ but the EQ. And he uses that to his advantage in handling his mother. It's a fine balance that he has to strike; he has to ensure his mother is not antagonised (in her case, she would want the son to choose her over the underserving girl) while asserting his right to love the person he chooses. It's a delicate dance of playing the role as the good Chinese son, respectful of her matriachial role, yet he doesn't differ entirely to her wishes and stays firm about his stance. He is honest without being hurtful. In many instances, we become pushed to make an either or choice; in his case, he tells his mother, You are both important to me. To me, in that whole conversation, it was the most powerful statement he could have made, coupled with the silent plea in his eyes....  [I read that as mother, please think about what I want, not only what you want.]

@pawla @jimmylyne I guess no matter how old we are or what station we hold in life, we crave for affection and approval from our parents. And to LJ, I wonder how much of what he is doing to grow his mother's empire arises from his personal satisfaction and how much is a need to gain his mother's approval or to defend his mother's pride (in retaliation of being abandoned). The show has yet to reveal how LJ feels about his father, I am sure we will get to see it soon. I am anticipating all this, not because I have a penchant for family turmoil but because it will show me a side to LJ, and offer me a more balanced, realistic picture of the man as a whole.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, pawla said:

@jimmylyne It was pitiful to see how LJ expected his mom to wish him birthday on the phone then he celebrated it by cooking instant noodles. I think this wasn't the only time she forgot his birthday. 

Ikr.. pitiful indeed.

"Don't you... Don't you have anything else to say to me?"

The "unconcerned" mother did not get clues how hopeful his son was to hear a happy birthday wishes from hls own mother.

Glad he go out and get to tasted GSN's cooking.. instead of instant noodles on his lonely birthday.

• Like 4