[Drama 2020] The Zombie Detective, 좀비탐정

0ly40

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched ep 1, can't get interested in this one either. I've tried a few lately. I'm a fan of the lead, but not in this combo plot. It's like having coffee and peanut butter in one sitting. If you have ever tried it, you'll know. I like him especially when he's the lead. Liked Emergency Man and Woman. His seriousness made it comical. Like Tunnel also, the same as this drama, except in this drama for lack of fresh blood to wet his appetite he is now a doofus detective. And this is suppose to make me laugh. Maybe in future eps, he'll be a healthy zombie and turn into an fully serious detective. :wub:And like I stated above, his serious zombie-ness will make it comical.

Thank you @Lmangla  for 'Zombie Detective Thread Spotlight' and summery 

Thank you Spotlight Contributors for great observation  

wow so many references @@ 

LhtcyNo.gif

At first I only noticed on EP1 some scenes that remind me of CJH’s Gu Wol-ryung in “Gu Family Book”,  which gave CJH the first major career break.     CJH was supposed to appear only in the first two episodes as a special guest.  But the wol-ryung character created the ‘wol-ryung fever’ in Korea so that the writer had to bring back the character(as a dark WR).  

(from GFB):  Scenes of night forest  & just before resurrection as a dark WR &  WR's ( a gumiho) food

48549gC.jpg

Spoiler

upzDIkO.jpg?1

7ikNWJX.jpg?1

[making] With a treadmill and a zombie ....

[making] the first meeting Sun Ji & zombie

**Those Spotlight comments made me rethink about ZD.  Generally I don’t have much interest in any zombie stuff so I dragged my butt to watch it for the sake of CJH and since it was supposed to be a zombie comedy. :confounded::tounge_xd:

But I was surprised to find it so hilarious that I hardly noticed how the scary looking CJH’s zombie was lol.  Then after reading about many reference points in the drama, I got interested and found this article which talks about many things but the one that caught my real interest was “B-class codes”  I never heard this term and I had to guess in some way it had influence on the shape/color of the drama.  After some googling I found it was called “B-class culture” (this one happened as a Korean phenomenon).  
((**for anyone interested in reading …))  
“B-class culture”: two articles talk about what it is in Korea.

'Cheesy ‘B-class culture’ sweeps Korea'(2012): http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20121005000818

'Kitschy pop culture in vogue '(2013): http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2013/12/386_142827.html

“B movie” (google) https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=B+movie%2C+B+film

(wiki) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_movie

(video clip)

B-CLASS CULTURAL HERITAGE - B級文化遺産

Spoiler

gwJEQ7z.gif

((translation))

Will “Zombie Detective” with the efforts of poignantly touching zombie revive the KBS drama?
“Zombie Detective”, a comedy but laughter comes with a feeling of melancholy 

OysVoWo.jpg

Are there any other hilarious zombies like this one?
Probably, viewers who watched the KBS new M&Tu drama <Zombie Detective> may have been surprised by the zombie that is so different from the current zombie genre.
Currently our zombie genre, K-zombie, is attracting attention from overseas.   The zombie (Choi Jin-hyuk) of <Zombie Detective> turns out to be hilariously funny rather than scary.

Spoiler

The zombie, who wakes up without knowing how he was killed, is not as energetic as the zombies in <Go to Busan>, <#Alive> and <Kingdom>.
Even if he tries to move fast, his body acts sluggishly.  Even if he tries to throw stones, he has no strength.   He gets so hungry and finally faints which makes his eyes turn red,  and then he wakes up to find dead animals.

So this zombie is different from current zombie types which are good at running and flock around in groups menacingly.
In addition, this zombie tries to control his appetite for humans.
When he looks at humans, he starts drooling automatically, but he thinks that's something he shouldn't do.
It’s inevitable this zombie is a weaker one in this deadly human world, when he has less than human abilities yet he insists on certain ethical boundaries.

So, the way this zombie bleeds through pronunciation correction, handling chopsticks, and walking practice for a year in order to behave like a human, gives a laugh that is worthy of the title of 'entertainment/or variety drama'.
In particular, the scene in which this zombie who has learned to speak through rap training for  pronunciation correction becomes funnier with CJH’s hilarious acting.

After accidentally witnessing the murder of a detective, he goes down to town and lives in his detective office while experiencing our world.
In order to survive he even tries to earn meager money from children. The scene appears to be funny but it shows a poignant black comedy.
The zombie that used to threaten humans is now striving to survive in the human world.
This black comedy's interesting posture is to reverse the relationship between zombies and humans in the common zombie genre and portray a more terrifying human world than zombies.

fQhEvWg.jpg

With the emergence of new platforms such as Netflix and YouTube in recent years, basic legacy-media ((like IPTV & cable tv)) faces a sense of crisis.
KBS can’t ignore this change  while  KBS dramas are gradually losing their market share except weekend dramas
In addition, the newly created native OTT wave to respond to these platforms, and IPTV, which is now losing its trending with the arrival of OTT, are feeling the same sense of crisis. In that sense, the fact that KBS, Wave, and SK Broadband jointly invested in the production of this work has a significant meaning.

Will <Zombie Detective> revive the stagnant KBS drama?

The drama is from the entertainment/variety drama-section. It has a fusion of zombie genres, black comedy, detectives, and maybe even melo, and contains B-class codes. So it’s a wonder whether it’s suitable for KBS which is a somewhat conservative channel, as the rating of this work stays at 3%(Nielsen Korea)
 Nevertheless it deserves at least the applause for <Zombie Detective>'s unusual attempt.

http://www.entermedia.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=20644

KBS 2TV’s Monday-Tuesday drama “Zombie Detective” has released new stills ahead of the new episode!

“Zombie Detective” is a comedy about a zombie in his second year of resurrection who becomes a detective and desperately searches for the truth about his past. Choi Jin Hyuk stars as Kim Moo Young, the titular zombie detective who struggles to adapt to his new life and coexist with humans. Park Ju Hyun plays Gong Seon Ji, a writer of an investigative journalism program with unrivaled optimism, tenacity, and a sense of justice.

Spoilers

Previously, Kim Moo Young began his new life as a zombie detective after taking on the identity of a man who had been mysteriously murdered and taking on his first case from a group of children. Seeing him with the children, Gong Seon Ji misunderstood what was happening and threw a helmet at his head. Without a penny to his name, Kim Moo Young set out to collect settlement money from Gong Seon Ji and ended up saving her from being kidnapped by a cult while drunk. Kim Moo Young grew flustered when Gong Seon Ji fell on his cold chest and muttered, “It’s warm,” signaling the moment their lives began to intertwine.

As the zombie detective and journalist begin to grow closer to one another, the new stills preview an intriguing development between the pair. Of particular interest is the flyer that Gong Seon Ji holds up to show him, which advertises a crash diet. Kim Moo Young looks down as he seriously ponders her offer. Another still shows him following a group of suspicious people into the forest, making viewers question why a zombie who has nothing to gain from a diet would be interested in the program.

Choi-Jin-Hyuk-Park-Ju-Hyun.jpg

The next episode of “Zombie Detective” will air via KBS on September 28 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1427974wpp/choi-jin-hyuk-receives-an-odd-proposition-from-park-ju-hyun-in-zombie-detective

**I don’t know why I felt touched by the last scene of Moo Young & Sun Ji.  Maybe their dialogue …maybe the background music…
MY: ‘Heart doesn’t even beat. It has become cold. :rip:
SJ: It’s warm…  :sparklyeyes:
But hopefully it’s them.     It’s about time to see some kind of chemistry from them.  Since they are supposed to be a zombie-Sherlock & Watson team, any steaming love line would be out?!    hehe  Maybe that’s good because they exude none of it.   Yeah maybe they are better as a working team: two socially misfits, one with constant paranoia and fainting spells from extreme hunger, and the other, out of her mind with uncontrollable obsession about the Santa murderer. 

krfI47F.gif

MY discovers he has a hidden martial art skill.  The first clue about who he was B)

qBtLuqO.gif

Spoiler

FLMzc95.gif

hZrpCbE.gif

VtxQWA1.gif

free tripe stew  :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Spoiler

0Pn0Ckh.gif

1W4cukl.gif

f9yKUt8.gif

:evillaugh::wut:

Spoiler

DSUjNdt.gif

TLku9OS.gif

nebc3Mx.gif

cr to DC

“Zombie Detective” Choi Jin Hyuk Takes On A Group Of Kids As Clients

Drama Preview   Sep 26, 2020   by E. Cha
“Zombie Detective” Choi Jin Hyuk Takes On A Group Of Kids As Clients
KBS 2TV’s new drama “Zombie Detective” has revealed a sneak peek of its next episode!

Spoilers

Spoiler

On the previous episode of “Zombie Detective,” zombie Kim Moo Young (played by Choi Jin Hyuk) came to terms with his fate and began training to appear human again. In the process, he accidentally witnessed a murder, and he ended up becoming a “zombie detective” after receiving the key to a private investigator’s office and ID from the unknown dying man.

In the upcoming episode of the drama, Kim Moo Young will set out on his new career by taking on a case brought to him by a group of children. A trio of elementary school students led by Lee Joon Woo (Sung Min Joon), the young nephew of Gong Seon Ji (Park Ju Hyun), approach Kim Moo Young and offer him 500 won (approximately 43 cents) to find a missing dog.

After hearing their initial offer, Kim Moo Young responds with disbelief at the kids’ proposed fee, and at the end of some hilariously petty squabbling, they finally bring out the big guns: a crisp 5000 won (approximately $4) bill.

However, Kim Moo Young gains more from his encounter with the children than just 5000 won. Not only does he help them with their case, but they also wind up unexpectedly helping him in his quest to find clues about his forgotten past. Additionally, as Gong Seon Ji’s nephew, Lee Joon Woo ends up bringing her and Kim Moo Young together.

The next episode of “Zombie Detective” will air on September 28 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

In the meantime, catch up on the first two episodes of the drama with English subtitles below!

Watch Now

https://www.soompi.com/article/1427851wpp/zombie-detective-choi-jin-hyuk-takes-on-a-group-of-kids-as-clients

Kim Soo Hyun Shows Support For “Zombie Detective” And “Producer” Director With Thoughtful Gift

Celeb  Sep 28, 2020 by C. Lee
Kim Soo Hyun Shows Support For “Zombie Detective” And “Producer” Director With Thoughtful Gift
Kim Soo Hyun showed some love for “Producer” director Shim Jae Hyun!

On September 28, Kim Soo Hyun sent a coffee truck to the set of the director’s newest KBS 2TV drama “Zombie Detective.”

Kim Soo Hyun provided the “Zombie Detective” cast and crew with a variety of drinks along with the messages: “Time to transfuse coffee for survival,” “The sweet-smelling coffee is here!”, and “We support director Shim Jae Hyun and ‘Zombie Detective!'”

The production team commented, “Kim Soo Hyun and Shim Jae Hyun have been maintaining a great relationship as actor and director for many years. Shim Jae Hyun was very thankful for the coffee truck that Kim Soo Hyun sent him.”

Previously, Kim Soo Hyun worked with Shim Jae Hyun for the 2015 drama “Producer,” where Kim Soo Hyun played an absent-minded producing director in the variety department. The drama reached an impressive viewership rating of 17.7 percent at its peak.

The director’s ongoing drama “Zombie Detective” is a comedy about a zombie in his second year of resurrection who becomes a detective and desperately searches for the truth about his past. Choi Jin Hyuk stars as Kim Moo Young, the titular zombie detective who struggles to adapt to his new life and coexist with humans. Park Ju Hyun plays Gong Seon Ji, a writer of an investigative journalism program with unrivaled optimism, tenacity, and a sense of justice.

The drama airs Mondays and Tuesdays on KBS at 9:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1428404wpp/kim-soo-hyun-shows-support-for-zombie-detective-and-the-producers-director-with-thoughtful-gift

KBS 드라마

120301692_4697804103570801_6126711038119146000_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=53P8qcYBQSoAX86NcqI&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=dbf4d47175ba1a7cece3ddad6bc79cb9&oe=5F971AAA

Spoiler

120319284_4697804100237468_1681307154151481415_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=up8YBLo0MUYAX8hrhak&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=c153baf9f02e778a6d38ca845fd04a94&oe=5F97672B

120347354_4697804106904134_6939101320283473093_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=PtjCReiYWJoAX9xaOuh&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=3db96f72fba4dc6f1811ea65e43e0085&oe=5F98360C

120349244_4697804096904135_2229060079108095630_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=gjhyQSRiAaUAX_Nx5YI&_nc_oc=AQmNEmLUlGB0GlXbpLj6UkG0kc92-LmfvabQLuy1qRcLK0Q-G7-9bdlIk-Ikmp-7za0&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=77be1d6f742ea7f8c20e945ccceb09a1&oe=5F9796B9

loving this drama so far! The latest eps seem to be a spoof on Save Me (k-drama)

He is just too cute using that air freshener spray on himself :kiss_wink:

cute.jpg

"From what I saw on TV, characters like Grim Reapers or aliens all had their own cars and houses, but what is up with me?" :joy:

also laughed at him hiding meat under his clothes and hat

and the Zombie yoga position: "It gives you a physical sense of freedom that you can't even tell if you're dead or alive"

6 hours ago, partyon said:

I guess this is from ep 4 ? :love:

Yes :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:  but as usual the preview isn’t clear about whether Sun Ji will find Moo Young is a zombie.  Still since ZD has only 12EPs it might be better if she finds out about him early and decides to help him since she is all about pursuing justice? :expressionless:

EP4

kiyhjRA.jpg

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111443819

**Very good product endorsement; antibacterial deodorant for smelling fabrics  like ‘Febreze’   It’s so strong and effective that even it can eliminate zombie’s dead body order. lol  :lol::naughty:

o3zE3kz.gif

Spoiler

mx70qzD.gif

Pd1ZMDg.jpg

mehk76a.gif

rBcDFnd.gif

cr to DC

pg4Tu4U.gif

** ZD got a good response on B-tv. It sounds like Korean viewers are watching ZD on 2 different platforms, KBS and B-tv.  In this circumstance it might be hard to get the right ratings since people who watch the drama through B-tv streamline would be excluded in a rating survey.  
Though the flow of the story line is a bit choppy here and there, I like this different approach to the very familiar zombie theme.  In ZD there are some people that are acting more like zombies than a real zombie does.  

((partial translation))  
“According to SK Broadband on 9/29,   ZD preleased EP1&2 as on-demand videos (VOD) on B tv two days earlier than the KBS main broadcast at 9:30 pm on the 19th.   As a result of analyzing the viewing status for two days from the 19th to the 20th, the B tv movie (OCEAN) showed a high response, surpassing new movies and overseas dramas, ranking 2nd in total viewing time.”

Chan and A.C.E. members made a special appearance in ZD.

https://www.fnnews.com/news/202009291349302529

fz2lqxS.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20200930102941735

KBS 드라마

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

Spoiler

120412876_4702262183124993_2788875870634

120478217_4702262176458327_3776793959300

120369668_4702262179791660_8901494213483

120357442_4702254943125717_6229473080520

120340587_4702254939792384_2492324273048

120349240_4702254936459051_7003507966671

120477170_4702254933125718_8821456028231

Hwang Bo Ra+Ahn Se-ha as Gong Sun-young+ Lee Tae-kyun

TBlVDUv.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20201001093208421

Chan and A.C.E. members made a special appearance in ZD.

Spoiler

xGhKMqU.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20200930110009225

Park Dong-bin, as team leader Hwang Chun-seob

Spoiler

8J7i5g2.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20200930093740789

Lee Joong-ok as Wang Wey

Spoiler

ITGc7Lg.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20200930082155706

** from CJH official fancafe & CJH Taiwan fan club :blush:

崔振赫최진혁台灣後援會 Choi Jin Hyuk Taiwan Fan Club

real_jinhyuk  https://www.instagram.com/p/CFyePc8AMtR/...

'Thank you so much for the gift. The staff enjoyed dinner buffet & drinks too ^^'

120433131_2904782319753863_8845809955678

real_jinhyuk https://www.instagram.com/p/CFrajQTgTdn/

Image may contain: 4 people, child

making

EVENT : Re-watch Party with the theme Revenge

Chingus, by popular demand we are bringing you a second season of re-watch parties. This time the theme is revenge! Yes, you heard it!

BPcT8.gif

The dramas chosen for this season are:

• Money Flower (2017)
  • Secret (Love) (2013)
  • The Innocent Man (2012)

For more information visit the event thread

re: @Lmangla

Archived