[Drama 2020-2021] A Man in a Veil, 비밀의 남자

0ly40

1 hour ago, vintage said:

Question: Honey is a term of endearment for those you love. Why does the DL chairman continues to call Lady Joo that after he told her to get her dirty hands off of him? They seem to  have a loveless marriage these 30+years and he tried to leave once so I'm confused. Couldn't he just call her by her name?

I watched with Chinese subs, so didn’t know what the English subs is. Which scenes are you talking about? When she got hit by the car? If it’s of any help, for that particular scene, the literal translation should be “Wife! Wife!” The typical calling in Asian culture for spouses. It sounds weird of course in English. I guess that’s why they settled with “Honey”?

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

31 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I watched with Chinese subs, so didn’t know what the English subs is. Which scenes are you talking about? When she got hit by the car? If it’s of any help, for that particular scene, the literal translation should be “Wife! Wife!” The typical calling in Asian culture for spouses. It sounds weird of course in English. I guess that’s why they settled with “Honey”?

@ktcjdrama Hi Chingu 

i looked it up Yeobo translates to  honey, darling and sweetheart. @vintage although it translates to Honey but it is more of term of respect not love. Asian are big on speaking with respect. Here is more information on Yeobo 

Yeobo (여보) literally translates to “Look here”, but it means “dear”. There are a few different ways it can be used:

-If it’s wife to husband, it’s usually emotionless.

-Husband to wife, it holds respect, so if the husband is being more respectful to his wife, he would use Yeobo.

-And then there’s between non married couples. Yeobo is a sign of strong affection and love.

Yeobo is a term of endearment, but not one with any special properties. It’s like calling your husband dear.

68.3K views
View 149 Upvoters
 · Answer requested by 

@maribella TP is very frustrating that is because the writer hasn’t given him the motive for the woman to drama and Kill his mom. Remember Lady Joo killed Su Hee’s husband, The secretary killed his mom in the hospital.  Everyone thinks it is about love but the truth is much much worse. Remember the ledger SH’a husband got his hand on which robbed TP’s inheritance is connected to Lady No’s foundation.  TP’s never connected the dots that she was supposed to me SH’s husband that night bur lady Joo beat her to it . That is why she was framed to stop her snooping about the foundation. Another thing SH had a child and she hid the child because Lady Joo would not stop looking for her after she already left DL group Cha Seo Wook. 
 Yes TP  is annoying 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

28 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I agree it will look awkward if it be translated into " my wife" 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

That explains it. I had watched many dramas when the husband was in rage and fit to kill the woman and he said 'honey'. :D

'honey' was not used among my American friends, it was always by name. Not sure what they called each other in private. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@ktcjdramaThank you for the answer. The English sub has it as honey. The scene was when the chairman was running out toward the end of the episode and Lady joo was chasing him calling him honey and then she got hit by a car and he turn around and held her and said "honey, Are you okay honey?" He also called her that a couple more times right before the credits according to the sub. It was just weird to hear him call her honey that many times in the span of 30 seconds. Especially when he was so disgusted with her in a scene prior to the accident. Wife makes more sense.

@UnniSarahThank you for the more in depth explanation. I was so surprise that he was calling his wife honey that many times at the end. Plus this marriage is being portrayed as loveless one.

• Like 5

@UnniSarah I couldn't watch the early episodes when TP was mentally challenged and the disgusting Han family was taking advantage of him.

I remembered the brother ordered lobsters or steak in TP's name. And of course, YR using him as patsy.

Anyway, I did not know  that Joo was swindling the foundation. What did she do with the money? Her husband supplied her with everything, perhaps not love. But if one manipulated and connived to marry a man who did not love oneself, be thankful for the high living he has provided.

I don't think the writer is making SJ the driver's son, if he's YJ's half brother, it would be a forgive and forget kumbaya ending with him and his wheelchair mother in exile. YR is looking at prison. A woman who commits crimes  solely for fame and fortune will not be forgiven by society.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, maribella said:

@UnniSarah I couldn't watch the early episodes when TP was mentally challenged and the disgusting Han family was taking advantage of him.

I remembered the brother ordered lobsters or steak in TP's name. And of course, YR using him as patsy.

Anyway, I did not know  that Joo was swindling the foundation. What did she do with the money? Her husband supplied her with everything, perhaps not love. But if one manipulated and connived to marry a man who did not love oneself, be thankful for the high living he has provided.

I don't think the writer is making SJ the driver's son, if he's YJ's half brother, it would be a forgive and forget kumbaya ending with him and his wheelchair mother in exile. YR is looking at prison. A woman who commits crimes  solely for fame and fortune will not be forgiven by society.

TP’s mom and Lady Joo were going to establish a place for handicap people. A safe haven for when handicap people lose their guardians they would have a place to live in. 

Lady Joo murdered Su Hee’s husband. That is a murder charge. She has to pay for it.  She can’t be forgiven at all. 
I know for a fact TP’s mom was murdered but he doesn’t know that and ther is no proof of it. So that won’t even be mentioned. This is one of reason I am not completely dedicated to this drama. I will look for it 

CORRECTION FROM LAST POST. 
Lady Joo called TP’s to meet so she can see the ledger and dragged her to the site where Lady Joo killed Su Hee’s husband.  Sorry about that @maribella It is such a long time since I saw that episode. Watch the clips ahead 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

TP’s mom and Lady Joo were going to establish a place for handicap people. A safe haven for when handicap people lose their guardians they would have a place to live in. 

Lady Joo murdered Su Hee’s husband. That is a murder charge. She has to pay for it.  She can’t be forgiven at all. 
I know for a fact TP’s mom was murdered but he doesn’t know that and ther is no proof of it. So that won’t even be mentioned. This is one of reason I am not completely dedicated to this drama. I will look for it 

CORRECTION FROM LAST POST. 
Lady Joo called TP’s to meet so she can see the ledger and dragged her to the site where Lady Joo killed Su Hee’s husband.  Sorry about that @maribella It is such a long time since I saw that episode. Watch the clips ahead 

But why doesn't Joo recognise TP if she knew his mother? Ok ok they have never met. It would seem natural for the mother to bring her handicapped son along at her meetings.

So TP's mum was like a saint? She brought in this poor family to live in her mansion and it seems full use of her house, not in the servants' room only. Then her son was attracted to the servant's daughter, it was ok. He became handicapped because of her and she kept them in the house? Then YR as publicly known slept with her retarded son and it was ok? 
She has to be a saint or stupid.

This writer is out of my what to watch list.

3 minutes ago, maribella said:

But why doesn't Joo recognise TP if she knew his mother? Ok ok they have never met. It would seem natural for the mother to bring her handicapped son along at her meetings.

So TP's mum was like a saint? She brought in this poor family to live in her mansion and it seems full use of her house, not in the servants' room only. Then her son was attracted to the servant's daughter, it was ok. He became handicapped because of her and she kept them in the house? Then YR as publicly known slept with her retarded son and it was ok? 
She has to be a saint or stupid.

This writer is out of my what to watch list.

In the drama I don’t think they ever met or if they did. Kdrama seems to always make them forget what people look like. It is so weird for me too. Also Lady Joo hired goons to to kill TP. They thought they killed him.  @maribella

• Like 1

finally got around to seeing the episode and seo jun was daebak!

clapping celebrate GIF

loved all his verbal slaps and no-nonsense attitude. he is spot on when he says the han family is also complicit in fraud because they kept quiet. so all of them are responsible. loved how he dismissed yujung and did not bother to accept her lame excuse. even his sneer of tae poong - well you are genius and should know about identity theft was fantastic!

yura is still running amok but it is going to be fun seeing this tit for tat between her and lady joo.

5 hours ago, Good Karma said:

So the Chairman felt guilty for the accident and would just pay SuHee/JiSook as compensation for what his wife did to her?  If I were her I  will not forgive him ever. 

exactly. her husband also died and she will be even more devastated when she finds out. she should move on and not look back at the chairman at all.

• Awesome 5

40 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

loved all his verbal slaps and no-nonsense attitude. he is spot on when he says the han family is also complicit in fraud because they kept quiet. so all of them are responsible. loved how he dismissed yujung and did not bother to accept her lame excuse. even his sneer of tae poong - well you are genius and should know about identity theft was fantastic!

yura is still running amok but it is going to be fun seeing this tit for tat between her and lady joo.

exactly. her husband also died and she will be even more devastated when she finds out. she should move on and not look back at the chairman at all.

I am very sure SuHee will not get back with the Chairman she being a decent woman. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 2

I’m confused here. Aren’t TP and YJ supposed to be the main leads that supposedly get their happy ending and things go their way kumbayaddayadda at the end? Then why am I rooting for SJ now and I want him to have the last laugh? Lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

ved all his verbal slaps and no-nonsense attitude. he is spot on when he says the han family is also complicit in fraud because they kept quiet. so all of them are responsible. loved how he dismissed yujung and did not bother to accept her lame excuse. even his sneer of tae poong - well you are genius and should know about identity theft was fantastic!

He is in a difficult position. He will be a jerk if he goes to her which I believe he would have ( barring the idiot writer) but now Joo is paralysed and will play it to the hilt, he has to stay which seems condoning this murderer's actions. They have a daughter, idiot as she may be, they will always care for each other. The ending may hint of that. 

I hope the writer kills off Joo, so I can have my happy ending. It was sad when they asked each other how they had lived for the last 30 years. 

Joo is really selfish, she knows how it feels to be trapped by YR, but she keeps clawing at her son. Lie and lie to protect him, that's what she should do. She seems to latch to her son only to keep the husband from leaving.

@UnniSarah I watched or skimmed through that episode but I thought it was YR who had sent the goons. Mrs. Cha really deserves to be put in prison forever. But Chairman Cha will not have a happy ending as long as she lives.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, maribella said:

@UnniSarah I watched or skimmed through that episode but I thought it was YR who had sent the goons. Mrs. Cha really deserves to be put in prison forever. But Chairman Cha will not have a happy ending as long as she lives.

The goons who kidnapped TP were the same one harassing SuHee at her restaurant in Chucheon. That was why TP hid from them when they showed up at the restaurant.  That is why he stayed with them. Once he saw them, he realized the SH’s husband death was murder. But he still didn’t know why the man died. Even no they still don’t know why???

• Like 5

@Lmangla @Jillia @Mocharel @maribella   OmG!!!!! I think we can all agree that all the characters in this drama are just PLAIN DUMB!! I blame it on the writers or bot being imaginative. 
Why the hell would YJ not wear her necklace around her neck??? Nooo she puts it in her pocket!!!! Her  POCKET!!! What is wrong with her????? 
You have the dummy Chairman letting his wife secretary order him around????? I am like don’t these rich chairman not have loyal employees around them???

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

@UnniSarah no doubt about it, all are stupid. The Chairman turned into a chicken just like Han father with SJ and mother having the upper hand.

The writer is having a fun time with the see saw situations for YR and Joo. Now the writer has time to go back to TPs revenge since YJ's revenge is dead, uncle and aunt are split. So TP suddenly remembers how his mother was wronged. Idiot was wasting his time with the idiot YJ and her awful family, he should have been legging much earlier. Now he knows Joo was involved in the attempt to kill his aunt, conveniently seeing the yellow paint on Joo's coat. :lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 4