[Drama 2020-2021] A Man in a Veil, 비밀의 남자

0ly40

The female lead was the conniving evil sister of the male lead from All is Well, though she did a lot of other work since then. That's what I remember her from when it comes to the M-F dramas.

• Like 1

hope this drama is not pushed back further and starts on 7th.. need another daily to watch. fingers crossed, this one is a far better improvement than dangerous promise. hahahhah...

anyway, join us for a saeguk theme poll and vote for your choices. :)

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2020] A Man in a Veil, 비밀의 남자 - Mon to Fri @ 19:50 KST

I watched the first episode and I liked it, even though I very rarely watch daily dramas with a male lead! Tae-Pung seems to be autistic. I love his relationship with his mother, and I loved it when Ye-Jin's dad(?) slapped the dumplings out of that green shirt guy's head. I really don't know who's who, though...

• Like 4

Just watched the first episode. Here are my thoughts:

Expected dead character here, just like in Fatal Promise (I should really move on). we except the main character's parent to die. And we expect TP to recover from brain damage after the drowning incident. In chinese, we call it 黑化 which means someone turns evil due to some tramatising experience.

Not used with seeing YR (the evil twin) with a pink shade of lipstick, probably because I've seen the actress using red lipstick too much lmao. (Ex: Home for Summer)

It's really interesting seeing Uhm Hyun Kyung acting as the protag, it's a fresh experience for me, just like the experience I had with Park HaNa, I only watched the shows with her acting as the antagonist (Ex: All is Well)

I love Kang Eun Tak in Love Till the End don't like the show but I like him, so I'm realy glad that he's back! So far, I think he portrayed his character really well! That's all i have so far, as usual can't get my hopes too high.

• Like 4

I like all the cast it except the main lead male. Right now, he is cute as the disabled boy with a sweet heart, and I've never seen him with soft eyes like that before. But it sounds from the description he turns into the same mean-looking type he always does. 

Still we have Chae Young and Lee Si Kang and they are dreamy!

• Like 4

I didn't know the main lead was  going to go from a cute disabled boy to a mean-looking type man.  

Yo Ra goes from a  sweet hard working girl to a woman who goes to bed with a nice cute disabled young man with the mentality of a 7 yr old.  Yep, he wakes up with a grown nude lady next to him in bed.  She'll use the  prego  too. Don't know why the sudden change. Will find out soon. Vengeange? Greed?  Villian parts are more rewarding. They usually get lots of screen time and viewers like myself will gripe about it. Why, why, why. Why not Susie?  100 or so eps.:)

Someone may try to correct me but that's what it looks like in the previews/trailers.:crazy:

Yes, I do agree. The eye candy is worth viewing.:heythere:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2

Still a long way to the end. I can't watch a mentally challenged person being abused, ok fooled, still it's a form of abuse.  

I am going to drop in when he's a 'mean cold person looking for the truth' :smirk: from a seven year old mind to that state is a huge gap. Hope he kicks the rear end of the woman who raped him... very hard.

Yes, having sex with a 7 year old normal or mentally retarded is rape to me.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

On 9/7/2020 at 5:41 PM, shana0127 said:

Here first as well as second ML are handsome. Even though I start watching this drama for Kang Euntak, I feel I will have second lead syndrome in this drama 

I thought so too, but I just saw all the previews of this drama that came out since the beginning, the second male lead will become a real RickRoll'D, he will sleep with the second female lead, seeing him nice to female lead makes me smile it's not a spoiler, it looks like it will be the bad couple, against the male lead who will also attack
But the preview which is in the press conference practically spoiled the first 20 episodes, a little disappointed, we will be crying

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Here is the 5 min highlight :) Look like second lead girl gonna use her twin sister crush... I already feel bad for the man getting used like this forced to marry the second lead girl after her dirty scheme. No wonder he gonna be thirsty for revenge.... But the lead girl gonna be his salvage from the darkness I think. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Jillia said:

So I'm confused! Maybe because I haven't watched a daily drama in years and years... But do I get it right we will have Tae Poong going from acting like a man with a 7 year old mind to being a mean dude? And we also will have terminal disease and birth secrets?

This is certainly going to be a interesting ride. :lol:

LOL... welcome to the wonderful crazy world of daily where all sorts of events happen. :lol:

@maribella ~ will have to wait to see what happens but it looks like the mean sister drugs tae poong so that it looks like they spent the night together and she can claim something happened. based on the preview, the meanie sister doesn't stop there and then puts his mom in jail in order to take over the wealth.

it is weird to see a male lead go through what usually happens with a female lead in daily - this is the first daily I have seen where the male lead is the focus. interesting!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This reminds me a lot of First Love Again, the I'm pregnant but you're not the dad thing, the second male lead that treats the female lead better than the male lead, the perfect mother, the spiteful mother, the annoying rich family members. The thing that is different is, instead of the main character getting amnesia, a supporting character is getting it. At least they can making an effort to change the plot I guess. (not enough btw) 

Also, did I see things wrongly? Did TP just cured his disability after almost getting drowned, in a spilt second? What kind of logic is this? At least they are making it different this time instead of the typical car accident thing. Even if it actually works, TP will only have the knowledge of a high schooler, it'll take time for him to have a strategic mind and rule the company. I know his mother is but you can't just manage things without a hassle when you need time to get used to the society. But I'll try to be understanding and I'll assume that the writer wants to portray a genius character. Let's see how this goes.

If the YJ ended up picking TP, I'll go bananas, but it's likely because those are the privileges of being the male lead. I didn't like how the two main character in Love To The End ended up together. Hopefully she picks the happy go lucky second male lead. Fingers crossed. 

To the scriptwriter, you don't have to change anything but PLEASE do not make the second male lead like JH, I'll go insane and QUIT the drama. Don't write a one-dimensional character who only know how to whine, please! I trust you that you won't do that since the team picked an actor with decent looking facial features.

:please:

I'M BEGGING YOU!

@chococarmela, Idk if this is a good or bad thing to you but the writer of this drama wrote Mysterious Personal Shopper as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

LOL... welcome to the wonderful crazy world of daily where all sorts of events happen. :lol:

@maribella ~ will have to wait to see what happens but it looks like the mean sister drugs tae poong so that it looks like they spent the night together and she can claim something happened. based on the preview, the meanie sister doesn't stop there and then puts his mom in jail in order to take over the wealth.

it is weird to see a male lead go through what usually happens with a female lead in daily - this is the first daily I have seen where the male lead is the focus. interesting!

Drugged or even if he willingly beds her, there is a crime committed when he is not capable of comprehending his action.

The mother is a CEO, probably a very capable one owns a company. But it is quite a common thread in Kdrama to have people with good brains to be fooled again and again. Just like HW Fatal Promise,  to name one. I don't understand the obsession with 'blood ties' like grandchildren.

So TP's mum is going to forgive the rapist because she is having his baby? :surprisedwut:

@Secretz in  First Love again, the FL had amnesia, struck by the truck of doom. She forgot about telling him ML she had an abortion, so it is the main character who had amnesia.
Another obsession with a grandson. I think it's because Korean birthrate is very low. :hwaiting2:

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, maribella said:

Drugged or even if he willingly beds her, there is a crime committed when he is not capable of comprehending his action.

In the highlight you can see TP is sleping/unconscious in a bed while YR is undressing. So it is clear she is staging this to look like they did the devils tango and lie to his mother  that the kid is his...  I also noticed he  is not gonna be present at the wedding as he help YJ that is in trouble. So I guess this is why YR gonna mess with his mother and be the turning point for TP. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

There was a drama a couple of years ago called, "Move over Fate" where the main focus character was also male. Not a bad drama IIRC. 

2 hours ago, maribella said:

The mother is a CEO, probably a very capable one owns a company. But it is quite a common thread in Kdrama to have people with good brains to be fooled again and again. Just like HW Fatal Promise,  to name one. I don't understand the obsession with 'blood ties' like grandchildren.

So TP's mum is going to forgive the rapist because she is having his baby?

@Secretz in  First Love again, the FL had amnesia, struck by the truck of doom. She forgot about telling him ML she had an abortion, so it is the main character who had amnesia.
Another obsession with a grandson. I think it's because Korean birthrate is very low.

Absolutely! I can only wonder what kind of hue and cry there would be if the female was taken advantage of like TP Is here. He is (at this point) incapable of making a decision and what she does by setting him up is reprehensible. However, a simple DNA test when the baby is born would clear this up, but...this is a Korean Daily Drama, so no go on that idea! It is definitely ugly that the show is going to have this woman take advantage of a disabled person (aka rape) but then again, there was a drama a few years back called "Whisper" where the female lead got the male lead stinkin' drunk and took advantage of him too. I called that out as wrong back then, and no one even blinked.....thank goodness this group seems to agree with me.

About TP's mom forgiving her son's rapist...Let's look at her choices here. Mom doesn't forgive her and is permanently estranged from what might be her only grandchild. Or Mom forgives her and at least has a chance at a relationship with the grandchild. She will probably believe her son is the father at some level, and since we know she is dying of cancer, she wants to not add to the grief in her life.

A couple of other observations:

1. Kang Eun Tak is nailing the portrayal of a mentally challenged young man stuck at the mental age of 7. I know someone who suffers from a disorder that has pretty much limited his mental capacity to about age 10. He is helpful and friendly, but is still very much a child. Kudos to the actor for doing his homework.

2. From the previews, Lee Si Kang's character has about the worst haircut I've seen in awhile; IRL he spends a great deal of time messing around with his hair if his IG is any indication, lol. He played such a nice guy in "Happy Sisters" I am curious to see what he does in a more dastardly role. 

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1

12 hours ago, maribella said:

in  First Love again, the FL had amnesia, struck by the truck of doom. She forgot about telling him ML she had an abortion, so it is the main character who had amnesia.

Plot twist:

Spoiler

The FL didn't have an abortion, but had a missing son. I swear the protag's child is always immortal. (Except for The Promise)

10 hours ago, shamrockmom said:

However, a simple DNA test when the baby is born would clear this up, but...this is a Korean Daily Drama, so no go on that idea!

If they actually do a DNA test, the evil twin can fabricate the results, it takes zero effort to do that in kdramas. 

I guess time for YJ to taste her own medicine, since the character of the same actress fabricated the DNA results in All is Well.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5