[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Sword Snow Stride 雪中悍刀行

sugarplum892

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 8/3/2020 at 10:43 PM, Seonhoyaa said:

Heard this is based on novel where can i find it?! Is there more detailed synopsis? huge fan of ZRY after JOL.

Same here...I love Asian novels and try to read those that catch my eye.

Usually novels that get turned into dramas or movies are very interesting. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, a_tumiwa said:

i watched some of the trailer, there are some scenes similar to xianxia

make me wonder is this drama really pure wuxia or has some xianxia elements?

It's not pure wuxia, the original novel is categorized as xuanhuan (玄幻), so I assume that the adaptation will be the same. 

Welp, took a look at weibo and douban, and the reviews aren't good. Lots of criticism on the fights, it's even slower than the usual slo-mo, some users even called it a powerpoint presentation. The pacing of the story is slow, and a lot of the fault lies with the director. He gave an interview earlier saying that the audiences nowadays are so hasty, so he purposely slowed down the pace of the drama's first episode in order to help the audience cultivate patience to truly understand the ~masterpiece that they're watching. And he went super slo-mo on the action scenes because he wants the audience to see clearly how the actors move.

I'm kinda sad about the action scenes, I really miss watching a good wuxia drama with good action scenes, so I was looking forward to this. 

after watching the first two episodes, i think this drama is adapted from harem novel, but because the government policy to ban harem story appear on television, so they revise the story to make it more light to audience by not mentioning harem thing

1 hour ago, a_tumiwa said:

after watching the first two episodes, i think this drama is adapted from harem novel, but because the government policy to ban harem story appear on television, so they revise the story to make it more light to audience by not mentioning harem thing

From my understanding, it is a harem novel, apparently the protagonist has six wives in the end. But the script had to do some major revisions also because the original novel was really long (4 million+ characters). Also, I don't think harem stories are banned because I see other historical dramas with concubines and such. 

• Like 2

So far: 

After watching 8 episodes, I have to say I really enjoy the cinematography. I know people have said the action scenes are far too overdone with the slow motion; but I feel it really captures the movements of humans. Far too often, modern historical dramas always have too much CGI or zooming shots, but here we can see the way the body moves in a fight which is nice.

Most importantly, it's filmed like a damn painting. Especially Crystal Zhang's scenes. With her billowing white sleeves and the way the two strips of silk on her hat flies in the wind. Ooooooh man just like those paintings. 

I like the subtlety of the relationships. It's not plain, dumb writing where people are immediately attracted to each other or falling over for one and other. Everyone feels like their own person. I really wish there were more productions like this, but then again, those romantic wuxia ones are usually aimed at a different audience anyways. 

The cast is amazing! I know people complain that their favorite actors should be the lead or someone should have more screentime. But the thing is, with such amazing supporting cast, the quality of the show is apparent. Going from main role to support doesn't mean a bad career choice, if anything they can show off their versatility in acting.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I've only watched 5 episodes so far and I have mixed but overall positive feelings. 

This is a drama that I've been looking forward to for a while because it just had the vibes of a good production with a brilliant cast. 

Based on the 5 episodes I've watched, I can say that I am thoroughly enjoying the series, despite its obvious flaws. I agree that the action isn't as gripping as I imagined, and I am generally not a fan of slo-mo, but it's really not bad either and it won't break the show. It's also very early on to tell how the fight scenes will unfold later. 

If anything, I'm rather enjoying the more fantasy aspects, scheming, and unique dynamics between the characters. It's fun and refreshing. 

I don't think I'll be paying much attention to what the mainland audience thinks of this drama, unless I'm really curious. It's enjoyable enough for me so far, no need to spoil the mood. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, a_tumiwa said:

guys, do you think the story is a bit slow pace?

No, and this is after watching 10 episodes. Didn't even FF thru anything. And I waited till I had 8 episodes to watch after reading the not so positive reviews.

Went and looked up the differences between "wuxia", "xianxa" and "xuanhuan". The fight scenes seem to make sense upon understanding the gist of "xuanhuan".

• Like 2

episodes 13:

there are 2 carriages, one carry that old stinky swordsman, Jiang Ni, and Xu Fengnian.

the second carriage only carry Yu youwei alone (and her cat), plus she is the most useless one in squad, dont know martial arts, and not a maid.

i wonder why Jiang Ni didnt join that carriage, instead the crowded one with the boys :sweat_smile:

• LOL 1

Hi Hi, I joined the forum because I just wanted to talk with others about SSS (well actually because I've became a fan of ZRY from JOL but only since July this year and the ZRY and JOL thread is quiet).

Anyway...I have only watched 2 episodes of SSS...and controlling myself so hard to pace out cos I like to binge many at one time so prefers there's more episodes out so I am not hanging out for a new one. I don't know if I can (*so hard*) to wait to see E3 at end of week cos its Holidays! and I can happily binge on at least 5 or 6 or 7 eps then

Loved the 2 eps I've seen. I haven't read the book, and I have read the book fans comments (good and bad) but may try to refrain b/c I now just want to enjoy what I see myself. 

The martial arts actions not enough comments didn't faze me as I thinking as XFN continues his story, they will probably will upp the martial arts aspects. Crystal Zhang scenes - they did make her scenes look so good. Also it seems like C-drama nowadays seem to do more of the slow mo, pretty movements in general so its not like unseen before

I didn't find the pace slow. Random note, when it ended midway in E2, XFN saying he will be going 'fishing' [for the mole] the next day I was excited how the story was going. The only time I thought a scene went too long was when Old Hwang return to his room in E2 and whole lot of drinking water and finding secret stash of wine...that was strangely long for me. 

I like the small details as new character was introduced and those more important had more details built upon. I have some reservations on some characters due to the acting portrayal but I'll see if future eps will change my mind.

XFN relationship with old Hwang makes my heart warm. They may bicker and annoy each other but those 3 years of travel made them close as ever. How he rather go eat with Hwang on that first night back in the city than all the fancy delicious food dad was preparing for him. That fight for food ( and not giving dad any) was funny. I accidently read some spoiler with old Hwang and I am already .... 

Of course XFN and dad was another intriguing aspects. I think if my parents watching this - would find XFN attitude to dad very disrepectable and not real in that time period. I take this as part of the novel's character design, and its funny to see how far dad/son will take/give. In that scene when dad offers to put on his shoes, XFN will know that is not suitable turns away and clearly rejects that his little brother would need to do that for him either. Younger brother is such XFN number 1 fan ...hehe.

Sorry for rambling...but happy to see a thread here. Lastly, ZRY did not disappoint. Xu Feng Nian is intelligent and kind and princely (after a nice bath and rest) with a playboy reputation as his cover. I can't wait to watch his adventures unfold

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Thoroughly enjoyed watching up to Ep 14. :)

Spoiler

If there's someone I find annoying, it's that sword dancer who insists on egging Jiang Ni to escaping in the dark, without provisions, and into a place and terrain they're not familiar with. Just how stupid is that?! 

She's quite suspicious, like she's a killer-in-waiting (haven't read the novel, just speculating).

LOL, I actually wish that her cat would slash her so that she'll have some sense! She's literally jumping from the frying pan into the fire!

Also, it's as if Jiang Ni didn't explain the situation to her on how she came to Northern Liang. Felt her pain of not having kins and own belongings after her confrontation with the Princess in Ep10.

I like the chemistry between the ML and FL. At this point they're still like cats and dogs, LGX is still very childish, but ZRY aced it on how kindly he gazes at her when she isn't looking. 

• Like 1