Li Geng Xi as Jiang Si
Zhang Tian Ai as Nangong Pushe
Li Chun as Xuanyuan Qingfeng
Wang Xiao Chen as Xu Zhihu
Liu Duan Duan as Zhao Kai
Qiu Xin Zhi as Li Chungang
Tian Xiao Jie as Wei Shuyang

Synopsis:

About a young master named Xu Feng Nian who under the eager expectation of his father Xu Xiao persevered through hardships and growth to become the King of Northern Liang. Although the road was long and obstructive, and filled with ruthless murderous intentions, Xu Feng Nian constantly improves his martial arts skills, and he gathered many crucial people during this journey. He led the Beiliang cavalry to fight against Beimang at the time of the Beimang invasion and become the beacon of hope in the Central Plains. (Source: Baidu) ~~ Adapted from novel "Knife in the Snow" by Feng Huo Xi Zhu Hou.

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Sword Snow Stride 雪中悍刀行 Weibo

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

19 hours ago, tothestars said:

Yeah another zry historical drama! Count me in! Hopefully he will not end up in Heng Dian for this... :sweatingbullets:

Joy of Life was filmed in a studio in Guizhou which meant they could get most of the cast's original voices. Maybe this one will too? Or they could hit the Tang city in Hubei mhmmm. Oh wait looks like they are filming in Xiangshan? (same province as Hengdian, different place)

The book is fairly beloved and popular, the scriptwriter is Joy of Life's Wang Juan (he was writing this when JoL s1 was airing lol, he worked on JoL s2 afterwards), production team is also same as JoL, Tencent Pictures + Xinli. Get a better make up and lighting team please!!! The story have been noted to be fairly difficult to adapt and pass NRTA, so I hope Wang Juan managed somehow. It's also a fairly long story but there's no sign for multi-season yet, so this is going to be tricky. ZRY should head for JoL after he finish filming this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, skibbies said:

Joy of Life was filmed in a studio in Guizhou which meant they could get most of the cast's original voices. Maybe this one will too? Or they could hit the Tang city in Hubei mhmmm. Oh wait looks like they are filming in Xiangshan? (same province as Hengdian, different place)

The book is fairly beloved and popular, the scriptwriter is Joy of Life's Wang Juan (he was writing this when JoL s1 was airing lol, he worked on JoL s2 afterwards), production team is also same as JoL, Tencent Pictures + Xinli. Get a better make up and lighting team please!!! The story have been noted to be fairly difficult to adapt and pass NRTA, so I hope Wang Juan managed somehow. It's also a fairly long story but there's no sign for multi-season yet, so this is going to be tricky. ZRY should head for JoL after he finish filming this.

Wow thank you so much for the info! So there are many filming studio in China yeah? 

I am so happy we get the same team from JoL!  And i am so agree with you for the lighting and makeup! Hopefully all the difficulties will be managed properly include packing a supposed-to-be-multi-season into one season only. 

Okay we will going to have zry in 2022-2023 for this drama and JoL s2!

17 hours ago, tothestars said:

Wow thank you so much for the info! So there are many filming studio in China yeah? 

I am so happy we get the same team from JoL!  And i am so agree with you for the lighting and makeup! Hopefully all the difficulties will be managed properly include packing a supposed-to-be-multi-season into one season only. 

Okay we will going to have zry in 2022-2023 for this drama and JoL s2!

No worries, happy to share what little I know :) There's multiple of them yeah, a significant portion of dramas are filmed at Hengdian as you noted, but yeah there are number of other studios, and they often will travel across the country to film outdoor scenes. The Hubei one I mentioned is the one used in the movie Legend of Demon Cat (they built it for it so it's fairly new, and the location is fairly remote), also seen in the Rise of Phoenixes and Novoland: Eagle Flag. Xiangshan I mentioned is pretty well known and established studio, Ten Miles of Peach Blossom & last year's Longest Day of Chang'an was film there, although I should note Chang'an's team built a lot of their sets from scratch.

Oh, on returning actors, we have JoL's Si Lili (Li Chun), 2nd prince (Liu Duanduan) and our little Fan Xian (Han Haolin). Side note, one of the most popular drama this year was the recent suspense thriller Bad Kids, featured Rong Zishan as one of the protagonists, he's also part of this cast, very promising kid at only 14.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, skibbies said:

No worries, happy to share what little I know :) There's multiple of them yeah, a significant portion of dramas are filmed at Hengdian as you noted, but yeah there are number of other studios, and they often will travel across the country to film outdoor scenes. The Hubei one I mentioned is the one used in the movie Legend of Demon Cat (they built it for it so it's fairly new, and the location is fairly remote), also seen in the Rise of Phoenixes and Novoland: Eagle Flag. Xiangshan I mentioned is pretty well known and established studio, Ten Miles of Peach Blossom & last year's Longest Day of Chang'an was film there, although I should note Chang'an's team built a lot of their sets from scratch.

Ah ic, what i love from historical drama is their scenery, i really hope that they can present more outdoor sceneries though, but it will cost  more budget and will harder to the production team and actors. I hope the set they has built will stay there, so other dramas can use them. Okay right now my chinese drama knowledge has been upgraded thx to you hahahaah!

30 minutes ago, skibbies said:

Oh, on returning actors, we have JoL's Si Lili (Li Chun), 2nd prince (Liu Duanduan) and our little Fan Xian (Han Haolin). Side note, one of the most popular drama this year was the recent suspense thriller Bad Kids, featured Rong Zishan as a one of protagonists, he's also part of the cast, very promising kid at only 14.

Did you talk about returning actors for JoL or for this Snow drama? I havent watched Bad Kids, but it is in my bucket list. I think i also see Liu Duan Duan in Snow actor list?

1 hour ago, tothestars said:

Ah ic, what i love from historical drama is their scenery, i really hope that they can present more outdoor sceneries though, but it will cost  more budget and will harder to the production team and actors. I hope the set they has built will stay there, so other dramas can use them. Okay right now my chinese drama knowledge has been upgraded thx to you hahahaah!

Did you talk about returning actors for JoL or for this Snow drama? I havent watched Bad Kids, but it is in my bucket list. I think i also see Liu Duan Duan in Snow actor list?

Unfortunately I think Chang'an's sets have been taken down, which is a shame since it's such gorgeous set.

Oh sorry, I mean JoL actors that's also in this drama. There's no information on returning actors for JoL since as you can see couple of them are here, Fan Xian's brother and sister are in another newly announced historical drama so we'll likely have to wait till they start filming JoL to see if we get most people back for JoL.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

Unfortunately I think Chang'an's sets have been taken down, which is a shame since it's such gorgeous set.

What an effort yeah? I think chinese drama is very great in building set, do they really make profit from the airing? Almost a year from pre to post production, cant imagine the budget for one drama, especially collosal drama. And based on your comment, so i think most of the set are only for one time use, yeah? Omg...

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

Oh sorry, I mean JoL actors that's also in this drama. There's no information on returning actors for JoL since as you can see couple of them are here, Fan Xian's brother and sister are in another newly announced historical drama so we'll likely have to wait till they start filming JoL to see if we get most people back for JoL.

Ahh ic, thx for the clarification, wow really the mvp team is back! I wonder who will be the director?

And yes Song Yi and Guo QiLin are busy for their newest historical drama, and ZRY will act as guest star in it, right?

4 hours ago, tothestars said:

What an effort yeah? I think chinese drama is very great in building set, do they really make profit from the airing? Almost a year from pre to post production, cant imagine the budget for one drama, especially collosal drama. And based on your comment, so i think most of the set are only for one time use, yeah? Omg...

Ahh ic, thx for the clarification, wow really the mvp team is back! I wonder who will be the director?

And yes Song Yi and Guo QiLin are busy for their newest historical drama, and ZRY will act as guest star in it, right?

Let's see, the Chang'an set I mentioned is rumoured to have cost 50mil rmb, so about 7mil USD? The total cost for the drama is close to 600mil rmb, so about 85mil USD. They made the money back by selling to Youku (chinese online platform) + various stations and platforms around the world (Amazon in US iirc), I believe they made a profit. It's definitely one of the more costly projects, the Rise of Phoenixes I mentioned before cost similar amount, but made profit from tv station + iQiyi (online platform) + Netflix for international release. The drama didn't do well domestically, so it was the platforms that lost out.

The director Song Xiaofei is a former film cinematographer, so mhmm let's see how he goes with directing. I totally forgot ZRY is guest starring in Guo Qilin and Song Yi's drama lol.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, skibbies said:

Let's see, the Chang'an set I mentioned is rumoured to have cost 50mil rmb, so about 7mil USD? The total cost for the drama is close to 600mil rmb, so about 85mil USD. They made the money back by selling to Youku (chinese online platform) + various stations and platforms around the world (Amazon in US iirc), I believe they made a profit. It's definitely one of the more costly projects, the Rise of Phoenixes I mentioned before cost similar amount, but made profit from tv station + iQiyi (online platform) + Netflix for international release. The drama didn't do well domestically, so it was the platforms that lost out.

The director Song Xiaofei is a former film cinematographer, so mhmm let's see how he goes with directing. I totally forgot ZRY is guest starring in Guo Qilin and Song Yi's drama lol.

Wow you really got some info! Standing applause haahhahha!

So i think one of the biggest budget beside the actor's fee, it is the set, but not every drama build a set for their drama. Mostly they rent from a studio yeah? I think they will choose whether to go outdoor into some isolated places, or they have to build the set and max the fx.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:35 PM, stella77 said:

Ah this explains the gap for JoL2 but this one does sound intriguing on its own. Will look forward to it too.

The IP was sold and launched production some three years ago, I don't know if it's the current production team (probably not), but ZRY was rumoured back then, enough that the novel author mentioned him on his weibo. JoL's gap is partially planned I think (prolonged popularity IP for further merchandising + see if first season is successful to determine following level of investment). It always seemed like they would take half a year pre-production + scheduling, I think they could have saved time if scriptwriter got the script ready, but lol they dumped multiple projects on him and he usually write by himself instead of with a team.

AFAIK his last few years looked like late 2016/2017 JoL (got the rights in 2017, filmed in late '17 ~early '18, broadcasted '19), late '17 ~ early '18 Young Blood (head writer, filmed early ~ mid 18, broadcasted early '19), '18 Douluo Dalu (filmed early '19?, unaired), '19 Sword Snow Stride (he was struggling with it last May when Young Blood was airing). Apart from Young Blood, the rest are all big IP held by Tencent and produced by Xinli.

/hello I read way too much background info for certain drama productions, thanks for coming to my ted talk. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

@skibbies thanks for your very interesting info. I don’t mind it at all. My sister and I both screamed at our Tv when the last episode of JoL ended (it was a huge cliff hanger!) and then went to google to realize that #2 wasn’t even filmed yet and we moped!! We both have become fans of ZRY. Lucky for me I have the last 12 volumes of the novel to help me cope. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

15 hours ago, stella77 said:

@skibbies thanks for your very interesting info. I don’t mind it at all. My sister and I both screamed at our Tv when the last episode of JoL ended (it was a huge cliff hanger!) and then went to google to realize that #2 wasn’t even filmed yet and we moped!! We both have become fans of ZRY. Lucky for me I have the last 12 volumes of the novel to help me cope. 

Agree! I dont mind either, it is very interesting info of chinese drama production. 

Hahhahaah yeah such a HUGE cliff hanger but thank God! It will be 2nd season, not like Princess Agent! sigh wasting my effort watching 48 eps end up so stupid. 

• Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...