[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Sword Snow Stride 雪中悍刀行

sugarplum892

On 12/31/2021 at 1:14 PM, lilviolet said:

the cap at 40 episodes ? Bc saw that Novoland Pearl Eclipse has about 48 ep. I recall reading somewhere that it was recent limit by gov on longer drama episodes but I forgot the details. I've really only started getting into Cdramas last few years b/c the length used to scared me a bit.

If I remember correctly it's 40eps for any drama, but the creators could make an application to the authorities and ask for a permission to have additional episodes; they should obviously justify that their request and need for more episodes is an essential requirement. However,  we all know it's not guaranteed the drama still won't be cut in the process of receiving a distribution license/ permission. 

15 hours ago, skibbies said:

Despite Chinese netizens slamming it left and right, it's viewcounts are actually doing pretty good, likely top 3 for tencent when it finishes airing, probably top 5 across all platforms? It's way less than what everyone is expecting (which is another JoL, which is about 3 times SSS in viewcounts I think, real rough estimate), but considering the absymal initial feedback, the completely misdirected promotion, somewhat slow pacing, I'm surprised it's doing fine.

That's the issue with casting the same lead in a similar role I think. His acting doesn't differ too much either so it'll be hard to distinguish this with his breakout role. 

12 hours ago, leo2020 said:

If I remember correctly it's 40eps for any drama, but the creators could make an application to the authorities and ask for a permission to have additional episodes; they should obviously justify that their request and need for more episodes is an essential requirement. However,  we all know it's not guaranteed the drama still won't be cut in the process of receiving a distribution license/ permission. 

40 ep was always a suggestion, and has been since late 2018. They also strongly encourage modern dramas but it doesn't really mean you can't do historical dramas. You can do 45 ep, and sometimes tv stations will still cut them down for tighter story (which is for the best usually), and more time to air other dramas. 2021 have more than its fair share of 40+ ep dramas, including non historical.

Discussing the 40 ep limit is kind of meaningless when it comes to SSS, because it has always been planned for seasonal. The long qidian novels (Fight Break Sphere, Ever Night, Douluo Dalu, My Heroic Husband etc) tend to opt for seasonal because the story is usually too massive to film in one go, splitting it into seasons means you can recoup the cost and see how it fares in the market before pushing it forward, it prolongs the IP's life, which is the entire point of adapting these novels into dramas, and in between seasons, you can get the new drama audience to try the donghua/manhua/games on top of the novels.

21 minutes ago, Dominique Lola said:

That's the issue with casting the same lead in a similar role I think. His acting doesn't differ too much either so it'll be hard to distinguish this with his breakout role. 

I really wouldn't call it an issue when they did this on purpose. Both My Heroic Husband and SSS were filmed to ride off the JoL popularity, so cast similarity is consider a feature, and it worked by the way. MHH's drastic change from the novel + insane amount of gags (from ML + script) and SSS's dry humour from JoL's scriptwriter both emulated JoL's success, and not present in their respective source novels.

Fan Xian is quirkier than XFN, and have rather different background so I personally don't have much issues distinguishing them, cnet's criticism so far haven't really been on ZRY's acting, the most they say about him is "oh his new drama isn't doing as well without all the veterans, huh?" which I expected.

3 hours ago, skibbies said:

Discussing the 40 ep limit is kind of meaningless

I was simply referring to general established guidelines for dramas, not re SSS in particular. 

3 hours ago, skibbies said:

cnet's criticism so far haven't really been on ZRY's acting, the most they say about him is "oh his new drama isn't doing as well without all the veterans, huh?" which I expected.

I think it's not the case here. This drama, compared to JoL,  just has weaker execution, slower story pace and bad promotion. 

I also agree that they could have done better with FL casting choice. The chemistry between the leads was one of JoL's strong points.

Personally I'm here for the story itself, and for Vengo, so I'm just OK with everything else.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, leo2020 said:

I think it's not the case here. This drama, compared to JoL,  just has weaker execution, slower story pace and bad promotion. 

I also agree that they could have done better with FL casting choice. The chemistry between the leads was one of JoL's strong points.

Personally I'm here for the story itself, and for Vengo, so I'm just OK with everything else.

Yeah, I agree on with you on all front, I want to kick whoever that hired this director, also the person who promoted this as a wuxia. Ugh. My comment largely refer to cnetizens that haven't watched the drama, only seen memes and gifs on the internet.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Glad they had fun on the set. Even Li Gengxi looks happy and less uptight. I wonder what material the sword is made of - the one that ZRY dropped.

Edited by Starmi

Ep32

Spoiler

i dont understand about the power level.

it was said that there are 9 level, the ninth level (the highest one) is divided into 4 sub-level; Diamond realm, Zhu Xian realm, Tian Xian (Celestrial) realm, and immortal realm. There is still one level higher but no one reach it in the last thousand years, so that's only a legend.

and even though they are at the same realm (for example same zhu xian realm), their power can be differ so much.

Li Chungang once a sword-immortal realm and also one of the four great masters (including his girlfriend Lyupao of feng city), but after the incident and brain turmoil, his realm level dropped to Zhu xian or tian xian (dont know which one). but by now, he is back and reenter sword-immortal realm.

so does that mean sword-immortal realm = immortal realm?

if yes, then Li Chungang who was at immortal realm level lost a fight vs Wang Xianzhi who still Tian xian/celestrial realm?

• Like 1

30+ episodes in ... and it's really damn boring now. The story pacing is a problem. It would be fine if they're guaranteed future seasons but unlike Western shows, it's hard for them to secure continuous seasons. Very rarely are there live actions with multiple seasons.

Ahahaha, they're seeing the feared second sister again by Ep34!

On 1/5/2022 at 4:07 PM, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

behind-the-scene videos from youtube

Thanks for posting! That ep wherein Xu Xiao would rather be a waiter than face his daughter in that shanty at the border was hilarious. Glad to see that the BTS is just as funny.

@a_tumiwa Li Chun Gang explained before that regardless of the realm, it also depends on the skill level of the person. An indirect but simple example is XFN has the Da Huang Ting, but because he does not have the level of skill that normally takes years to cultivate, he cannot fully manifest its powers. As for Wang Xian Zhi, Li Chun Gang explained that he could have beaten him, but because he respected the wide expanse of skills Wang had, and also he did not want to kill him which would be a waste ( have to rewatch to confirm this part), he purposely lost to him. I suppose that’s why Wang never claimed he was No. 1 all this time, out of respect for Li.

On a separate topic, I always laugh when I see Zhao Kai appear with his armour ‘pal’. I find him quite pitiful, having only his armour pal to accompany him around and do the impossible thing of fighting for the throne. I was happy for him when he added one more person to his ‘entourage’, even though he is the ‘bad guy’. I first took notice of this actor when I saw him act as the General who fell in love with the princess in The Rebel Princess. His acting was good enough for me to feel his pining for the Princess, and the anguish when he betrayed his master. Saw him again recently as a Prince in Luo Yang, and now this drama. He is not good looking, but somehow managed to leave an impression me. Looking forward to see how he will resolve the dilemma of trying to kill his ‘brother-in-law’, and marry the second sister after.

2 hours ago, omiki said:

On a separate topic, I always laugh when I see Zhao Kai appear with his armour ‘pal’. I find him quite pitiful, having only his armour pal to accompany him around and do the impossible thing of fighting for the throne. I was happy for him when he added one more person to his ‘entourage’, even though he is the ‘bad guy’.

He was so amusing in Ep22, pouting while juggling stones as he laments his dilemma. He got good backers though - the head eunuch who's his master,  and the fishing Zhao relative of his. 

2 hours ago, omiki said:

Looking forward to see how he will resolve the dilemma of trying to kill his ‘brother-in-law’, and marry the second sister after.

I'm looking forward how 2nd sister will react if she learns about his "wife claim", and what he was trying to do to XFN.

:Megalol:

• Like 1

This series is much better to binge.
I do admit at the individual episodes, it has been slow paced in at you don't get more happening in one go. I really find 45 mins just barely whet my appetite for the day I watch this, and have to consume at least 2-3 in one sitting. I just want to find out more.

I've resigned to the unfortunate fate that this is just season 1, so I'll just enjoy what we have. (and the foremost importance is that Joy Of Life2 & 3 should be filming next, and that's more a priority right now than that S2 of SSS).

Since last post, finished E16 to E25.
I take it back when I said Xu Xiao was 10 steps ahead of the game. He is at least 20 steps ahead...his foresight is just wow, amazing. He is truly the master of chess masters. Is this how the book goes, everyone is strategizing left, right and centre, between the smart people, Xu Xiao, Xu Feng Nian, Lord Jing An, the Royals ... and then there's high powered martial artists all coming out of the woodwork too. Poor Swordsman No. 11, he just couldn't make the extra ranking lol

A few more new characters appears. I am interested in the smiling Miss KeKe, she's a young lady with high martial arts but although deadly, she cute and cheery compared to some of the 'cool' maidens. 

The team is traveling along the planned route and my ep ends with XFN about to cause a ruckus in Jiang Nan. IT IS really good to have a team! more hands on deck, for fights, for errands, to talk to... no more starving to death with only old Huang like the last journey. 

16 hours ago, omiki said:

On a separate topic, I always laugh when I see Zhao Kai appear with his armour ‘pal’. 

13 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

He was so amusing in Ep22, pouting while juggling stones as he laments his dilemma. He got good backers though - the head eunuch who's his master,  and the fishing Zhao relative of his.

Ikr, I am finding this character kinda delightful (there is a bit a Joy of a life bias, so also looking forward to Li Chun's appearance). There seems like a childlike nature despite his ambitions.

@MayanEchoThat scene you mentioned, he was almost like a child sighing 'ma...it's too hard ehhh'. And how he is like quick to back out of a fight he won't win, not afraid to apologize or kneel (I liked that he made the undead bodyguard kneel too :lol:at Long Hu Mountain part ). And I laughed seeing the undead guy walking in the street incognito with straw cape and hat hehe 

@AziraphaleThanks for the answer on XFN age.

Edited by lilviolet
  • Like 1

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] Sword Snow Stride 雪中悍刀行

I am only at episode 33 or thereabouts.

Will the Sword God really sell out the male lead? :( I enjoy their friendship and hope he will remain loyal.

Is the dad truly not aware of his son's political maneuvering at the palace or capital?

Will the dad die? :( I do hope not, yet that seems to be what his plans are leading up to. Like the male lead, I too dread what is to come, what inevitably will come. I felt for him when he said he feared having his dad grow old.

Will the female lead ever come back? I like the character and find it well-written.

Will Miss Giggles ever come back? I am intrigued by this awesome supposed assassin and would like to see more of her.

The fight scenes from episode 6 onwards have all been quite nice. Particularly those involving water.

• Wiggle 1

2 hours ago, impoppies said:

I am only at episode 33 or thereabouts.

Will the Sword God really sell out the male lead? :( I enjoy their friendship and hope he will remain loyal.

Is the dad truly not aware of his son's political maneuvering at the palace or capital?

Will the dad die? :( I do hope not, yet that seems to be what his plans are leading up to. Like the male lead, I too dread what is to come, what inevitably will come. I felt for him when he said he feared having his dad grow old.

Will the female lead ever come back? I like the character and find it well-written.

Will Miss Giggles ever come back? I am intrigued by this awesome supposed assassin and would like to see more of her.

The fight scenes from episode 6 onwards have all been quite nice. Particularly those involving water.

Spoiler

Sword God stays loyal to XFN. He tells him the assassination plans of Zhao Kai.

Dad, and XFN's master who stays at the tower, know what is their boy doing. They'll even talk about it while honoring their dead comrades.

Xu Xiao is a target due to his position and power, so anytime he might be killed. Same with XFN, and to a point, Jiang Ni being West Chu's Princess.

Miss Hehe makes another surprise appearance (and confession) at Wudi City. :) 

And in Wudi City - the key to battle the champion there is "sweet potato". :lol:

• Love 1

@impoppies
Coincidentally, I'm also just finished E34.

E36 to E34
- What a story Xuan Yuan Qing Feng comes into, (that is one scummy elder) ! Though I'm surprised how that all wrapped up so quickly. Dad's pouches are indeed full of foresight.

- Two things, you do not mention in front of the Xu second sister; but hey A Sword God can do what he likes heh - I enjoyed watching XFN disbelief and exasperation.

- Little kid (whom is not) seems really creepy, esp hanging out with ladies. I'm am somewhat glad the prince and his sister did not think there was any truth to the matter.

On the home stretch now. Next binge to the end.

• Blob 1

Spoiler

1a. so who is the teacher of miss hehe? child ancestor only said "so you are his disciple...."  

1b. this miss hehe, next time she showed up , should be far stronger because absorbing  child ancestor's inner energy

2. XFN's true woman is Qing Niao!! stay with him all the time

3.  it's pity we only see 2 adopted son of xu xiao, while he had six

4. i thought Xu fengnian's spy at palace was that princess, who can guess it's actually General Gu Jiantang, someone that we havents seen his face yet.

5.  what realm is Eunuch Han? Zhu xian or just another tianxian?

6. why Zhao kai called eunuch han "Tai" shifu , that mean the teacher of teacher?

7. Hong xixiang 's long sleep explanation?

8. the final battle should be more climax if XFN use the ninth sword of old huang

• Blob 1

Soompi Forums Awards (Poll #2): The best streaming dramas, c-dramas, daily/weekend dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now you can also vote for your favorite 2021:

• Daily/weekend dramas
  • C-dramas
  • Streaming dramas (ie dramas that only appeared on streaming sites like Netflix)

milk-and-mocha-cute.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl