Fathers of dramaland

Lmangla

father's day  

41 members have voted

1. 1. which submission did you love? (you can pick 3)

• sushimi - Kill me heal me
    • angelangie - my only one
    • phikyl - person who gives happiness
    • mademoisellesia - healer/spring night/city hunter
    • im0202 - reply 1988
    • jillia - my father is strange
    • lawyerh - the world of the married
    • alice wonderland - what happens to my family / pinocchio
    • unnisarah - doctor crush
    • celebrianna - gangnam beauty
    • vangsweetie637 - secret
    • nodame - hospital playlist
    • taeunfighting - reply 1988
    • joccu - madame butterfly / life is beautiful
    • yongzura - flower in prison
    • superspace - reply 1988
    • yamiyugi - heaven's promise

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2020 at 02:00 PM

@Lmangla Even though I didn’t have a chance to watch the drama you chose, I did see the scene when he loses his baby on a youtube clip. Heartbreaking!!

:cries:

I agree. Dads also cry too because it is their child who is lost forever. I seen a bunch of dads in real life be tough and cool. But when this kind of loss follows, it is hard not to cry. Dads feel their heart was ripped apart too. 

P.S. 

i love the song “Goodbye my Love.” Such a sorrowful tone that makes it so beautiful.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@vangsweetie637 ~ yea the scene where he breaks down and cries was really heartbreaking. it is one reason I don't rewatch this drama. it is far sadder than the other versions.. but yea, even tough dads cry. something I love about kdramas is that they show men cry openly. it is natural they also feel sad!

On 6/26/2020 at 10:04 AM, sadthe1st said:

the first kdrama that came right into my mind when i saw this event title:

i'm just being nosy here... haha not participating...

but maybe, i should rewatch this old drama again...

On 6/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, YongZura⁷ said:

I was thinking of the same father too.  You should do it... i'm going to give full support.  Fighting!

20 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Title: What Happen to My Family?

Characters: Father of three spoiled brats, Cha Soon Bong.

I support this choice 100%. :kiss_wink: Cha Soon Bong from What Happens to My Family is the first father who came to mind when I read @Lmangla's post.

I was glued to this weekend drama when it aired back in the day. I never watch weekend dramas, but this one was just amazing. :wub:

The whole premise of a single father who feels that his three children are all ungrateful brats, and therefore sues them, was a very unique plot line. The children are all of course shocked that the father would take them to court so that he can get money (a sum the children can't afford btw) just because he feels that they haven't giving him filial piety.

The father's actions trigger a whole set of events, slowly starting a healing process and bringing the family back together.

The father is an amazingly heartwarming figure - he loves all his kids so much!

And the last lesson he wants to teach his kids is a hard one, but one that is necessary in order for them to become better people.

2d076ba4ba1a2d6ccbd38adecc711d80c620cca1

Now I want to re-watch this drama. :joy:

1 hour ago, partyon said:

The whole premise of a single father who feels that his three children are all ungrateful brats, and therefore sues them, was a very unique plot line. The children are all of course shocked that the father would take them to court so that he can get money (a sum the children can't afford btw) just because he feels that they haven't giving him filial piety.

The father's actions trigger a whole set of events, slowly starting a healing process and bringing the family back together.

The father is an amazingly heartwarming figure - he loves all his kids so much!

And the last lesson he wants to teach his kids is a hard one, but one that is necessary in order for them to become better people.

Now I want to re-watch this drama

It's not fun only a bunch of people watched this. Right. So agreed! It's the reason why I liked the drama. I even still rewatch it once in a while. 

It has the same kind of problem like in other family dramas but here it feels pretty different the way they delivered every messages or how the actors emotes in expressing the moments of family are just wonderful. I laughed a lot but I cried a lot as well. I feel bittersweet and happy along with them. 

Watching all he family are finally bonding together, support each other and loving like a truly real family are just so wonderful. Something that is rare in recent dramas. Because they keep taking the same idea only to be re-coated into a different form of characters and events. 

Let's do it! The rewatch and we can continue at there while making our money. Hahaha

@Lmangla I'm glad that you pick the right theme for this event. So you ask for more, then could I deliver one more draft? Suddenly I remember some inspiring fathers now. Hahaha. Wait.. when is the deadline? 29th rite?? I hope I can finish it in time. I'm too distracted with so many stuffs. :lol:

We love side characters and we do notice their roles. Even it's the tiniest one they get but as they make some good role model and inspirations then they deserved our love and appreciation.

4 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Sorry I was to engrossed at Seo Kang Joon that time 

hahahah;; I really enjoyed his relationship with his stepbrother and how he helped the brother find the romance groove with the oldest sister in the family. that was one really funny romance!

5 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

I have to say, side characters can be easily forgotten. Actually family's love sometimes make me sadder than story of romance breakup. But my memory really short. I don't remember it anymore :lol:

same here! I have short term memory for pretty much everything including romance! :D

@Lawyerh @celebrianna Thank you! I loved Ikjun & reading the other entries wasn’t sure if he was strong enough. But his pure love and adoration of his son. Being busy doctor and from married to single dad , their cute interactions and scenes melted my heart.

Thanks for the kind words.:cutekitty: I thought of World of the Married, I saw the other entry before mine, then I will keep it light hearted with my recent fave dad Ikjun . I thought he needed recognition. Plus I love he will be one IRL next month with Gummy. His BTS with the child actor is so precious that their ease with each other translates on the small screen.

@Lmangla oh my god that korean remake with Jang Hyuk and Jang Nara - epic and great acting, though not an entry a good one.

@im0202 Omg loved Reply 1988, those writers led me to love Prison Playbook & Hospital Playlist. The father who is in all of the Reply serious with his warm acting and satori just was heart warming. Thank you.

@Lawyerh Hehe love your profile pic btw! Yes I def considered WOTM, but your write up is great about the contrasting fathers and totally agree.

31 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@Nodame @celebrianna Ikjun is lovely as father to Uju. How can I forget him as best father? My bad. Thanks Nodame for bring him into essay.

Here count me as four. I love IJ and UJ! and I think we're too occupied with the dad love matter's life or other aspects in the drama so we forgot for a while. Hahahaa. 

He's the best father for him! If UJ is lucky to be his son! And so as him, being so lucky to have UJ and him as his father. 

@Lawyerh if TWOTM is not focussing on that cheater maybe I will try to look for the dad. But ughh... I told you I avoid this kind of drama whenever they appear. Sorry. :lol:

Oh SKJ? While I like PHS more in there even his early attitudes are not nice. 

@Lmangla :coolshades: copy that cap!

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@Nodame @taeunfighting @Jillia @Lawyerh @vangsweetie637 @Alice Wonderland @UnniSarah @celebrianna ~ wow, am so surprised by the warmth and the real life takeaways that you are all posting on these fathers. and here I was wondering if anyone will post on these side characters for this event :sweatingbullets:...people are usually distracted by the kisses, the abs and the romance in the stories but we notice these side characters and their arcs too! kekekeke.... keep em coming folks! want to read more!

this is a solid proof that our obsession to kdrama even its start from oppa eonnie only or the kisses, abs, romance that hugely interesting doesnt make us spoiled child huhu we sure have an eye for father role deep inside? Kinda like that. 

As noob to kdrama its really heartwarming to read these post while missing my father:heart: keep em coming:heart::please:

@Nodame im totally fall for Ikjun scenes when he is concerning about Uju as appa omo thx for writing it here beautifully! @taeunfighting also with Choi Moo Sung I watched R88 thankfully & yes yes yes go girl the post is on point:please: im in teary! Ahahahah

@bairama Awww grateful for your kind words.:Megathanks:The words just flowed out as my love for Hospital Playlist but especially my extra love for Ikjun & Uju was so easy for me! I loved the friends and patient stories but adored their story too.:heart1:

Title: Pinocchio

Characters: Choi Gong Pil (Byun Hee-Bong)

Choi Gong Pil has two sons, Choi Dal Po and Choi Dal Pyung. Choi Dal Po died drwoning in the sea when he was young. Fourteen years passed, Choi Gong Pil then adopted a kid who he thought as Choi Dal Po. He found him while he went fishing. He tells his second son that he is his eldest brother that they lost many years ago and comes back to them now. Choi Dal Pyung is worried to his dad condition and tried to set things right. But Choi Gong Pil insisted to keep Choi Dal Po kid as his son with the excuse of his illness. Choi Gong Pil was diagnosed with trauma-related condition and his memory is somewhat mixed up of the past and present. He actually collapses whenever he remembers his late eldest son. He loves Dal Po like his real son. He keep everything from his second son, the truth of him being perfectly well in mind. No one in the family knows that he's pretending to be sick just to keep having Dal Po as his son. I see this part as such a beautiful and unconditional love from a father to his son. It may started with lies but this called as white lie that won't hurt anyone.

There's a line from the little Choi Dal Po that I like here “I need a father, and he needs a son. What’s wrong with a little lie?!”

pinocchio01-00444.jpg

As the son, Choi Dal Po tries his best to be as modest as he can be, never show off his ability and pretend to be dumb like the real Choi Dal Po. But one day when he needs some make over style for his new job as a reporter, Dad took him for shopping and salon. Then, he asked his Dad that he looked so much different from his usual Dal Po. He worried that he'll found that he is not his real son. But Gong Pil took this chance to tell him the truth that he knew that he kept himself hidden pretending to be his son and he doesn't need to keep lying for his sake again. Dal Po cries in his arms and Dad told him that he intentionally lied because he wanted to keep him at his side, to be his son. It's a hearwarming moment of the two. I'm so touched during this scene.

pinocchio04-00388.jpg

pinocchio04-00417.jpg

Also in this scene where Choi Gong Pil agreed to un-adopt Dal Po and give his permission for him to marry In Ha. 

pinocchio20-00800.jpg

pinocchio20-00794.jpg

“You just take good care of our In-ha now.”

Dal-po nods, “I will, Father.”

Choi Gong Pil hugs him close,“Thank you for living as my son,”

Then Dal-po answers, “Thank you for raising me, Father.”

My comments:
This is one of my fave dramas of all time. The story is a complete package of good acting, story quality and visuals. This part of the story which remains memorobale in my heart until today. Some kdrama fans might have watched this show. This character may be considered minor depends on his screentime but his roles in the drama has a great impact and source of inspiration in the storyline.

ReferencesRecaps, pictures ep 1 ep 4 final episode (Warning: spoiler ending! Don't click if you haven't watched and planned to watch it)

@Lmangla I still have another father to write. :D like in this drama itself there are three father figure that also needs appreciation. But since it'll be very too long. So I make it short as one character only. 

48 minutes ago, Nodame said:

Yes the ties of fatherhood do go beyond blood. I loved Pinocchio, aww so many fathers.

Yes, there are two more I like to write actually. But it takes time for me to write them all. If the time a bit extended maybe I'll do it again later. Haha. Have you watched this? If it's not then as preview, the other two fathers I am referring are Ki Ho Sang (Choi Dal Po biological father) and Choi Dal Pyung. :) I love all of the three has differrent in characters but they have one similarity, their love for the family is amazing! 

7 hours ago, partyon said:

I was glued to this weekend drama when it aired back in the day. I never watch weekend dramas, but this one was just amazing. :wub:

apart from the main father figure here who touched most of our hearts, Tae Joo's father was a great dad too, and also a good father-in-law to Gang Sim (Kim Hyun Joo) :winkx: this drama has many fabulous appa and omma.. haha i still remember how they booked the whole club and party there with all the parents, and in-laws :piggydance: even the eldest son's parents in law rekindled their marriage doing the waltz :ohboy2:

for bad father, the only one i can recall right now is "Mother of Mine" (My Prettiest Daughter in the World).. Chairman Han was such a (sorry i can only think of bad word so i should not write here but insert a kicking emoji):kicks: and in the same drama came along a super :kicks: mom (Mi Ri's birth mom)... i actually dropped the drama halfway cos i thought my blood pressure was going too high and i might smash my tv with my coffee table... :smashes:

9 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@vangsweetie637 ~ yea the scene where he breaks down and cries was really heartbreaking. it is one reason I don't rewatch this drama. it is far sadder than the other versions.. but yea, even tough dads cry. something I love about kdramas is that they show men cry openly. it is natural they also feel sad!

I can’t rewatch this drama either. It was so intense. From watching this MV is already pulling on my heart strings 

10 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

I can’t rewatch this drama either. It was so intense. From watching this MV is already pulling on my heart strings 

I know! I have actually re-watched the original a few times but not this one. like you said, even the MV pulls on your heart.

Recently I been rewatching older kdramas. So the one of the worst kdrama father for is Lee Sam-goo  played by Kim Sung-kyum in drama my love, madame butterfly. The father is the kind of who values money/power over people. He told his youngest son that he is his grandson and not his son first. After his son conforted him he tried to deny it but eventually he had to admit it.  the Father also told his son that his Mother abondened him/died. The father also told the mother that her child had died. tried to meddle mother and son relationship when they found each other were alive.

The father meddled his son relationships, didn't like his and son way of work and etc. the typical money hungry kdrama dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHrU_zZAl7Q

the clip start 2.16

The best father there*s too many.

But there is one of the earlieast dramas that had a father that left big impact to me and that was  Yang Byung-tae played by Kim Yeong-cheol  in a drama Life is Beautiful(2010)

He was a family man who had four children. One child taesub with his firstwife, two children hosub and cho rong with his new wife and yand jihye who is his new wife daughter.  the drama was weekend drama.  very realistic, real problems and heartwarming.

One of biggest theme was that his oldest Son was gay. The family at first didn't know and they did live in jeju.

One of the best scene was tae sub coming out to his parents. FIrst with his stepmom and the with his father.

@Alice Wonderland oh I saw this drama eons ago, my brain is mush on details of these fathers, I do recall they were all good . Just watched so many Korean dramas over 17 years, they blur after awhile. I recognize a lot of great dads and others I don’t know as I didn’t see the drama. Or if I did, the drama didn’t impact me enough with the dad. Good luck writing if you can fit it in. I did love the story and the family bonds! Great job on the write up! 

Yeah my Ikjun I loved not main story but still poignant and powerful as full of love and care in this father and son relationship indeed. :cheers:

11 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

apart from the main father figure here who touched most of our hearts, Tae Joo's father was a great dad too, and also a good father-in-law to Gang Sim (Kim Hyun Joo)  this drama has many fabulous appa and omma.. haha i still remember how they booked the whole club and party there with all the parents, and in-laws  even the eldest son's parents in law rekindled their marriage doing the waltz 

for bad father, the only one i can recall right now is "Mother of Mine" (My Prettiest Daughter in the World).. Chairman Han was such a (sorry i can only think of bad word so i should not write here but insert a kicking emoji) and in the same drama came along a super  mom (Mi Ri's birth mom)... i actually dropped the drama halfway cos i thought my blood pressure was going too high and i might smash my tv with my coffee table... 

I love this scene where they have a family meet up for both sides. Also the singing contest that they held is such a heartwarming event that the father design. Oh yes Tae Joo's dad is such a cute appa! He is not that chaebol father who being petty when a lady out from their status class is dating their son. I remember how TJ's lie to get a marriage permission has made him over the moon! Hahaha

As MoM. I tried for 1 or 2 episodes as kbs YT popped the videos on my homepage but it didn't get me that much so I stopped. But I watched the ending. Kind of bittersweet but it's not surprising anymore since the story somewhat give me the vibe of WHTMF drama. The difference is just here the role is reversed to the mother instead. And the children are much better than in WHTMF. For the whole essence of the drama they're basically similar. Just added some evil father and company politics done!

Hahaha.. it's one of the reason I avoid long weekend dramas with the evil in-laws, mother/father matters or what ever set up they brought. It boils my blood high. We need to save our tv right? LOL

Archived