• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lmangla

Fathers of dramaland

father's day  

41 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. which submission did you love? (you can pick 3)

• sushimi - Kill me heal me
    • angelangie - my only one
    • phikyl - person who gives happiness
    • mademoisellesia - healer/spring night/city hunter
    • im0202 - reply 1988
    • jillia - my father is strange
    • lawyerh - the world of the married
    • alice wonderland - what happens to my family / pinocchio
    • unnisarah - doctor crush
    • celebrianna - gangnam beauty
    • vangsweetie637 - secret
    • nodame - hospital playlist
    • taeunfighting - reply 1988
    • joccu - madame butterfly / life is beautiful
    • yongzura - flower in prison
    • superspace - reply 1988
    • yamiyugi - heaven's promise

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2020 at 02:00 PM

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

good one! so in the poster, who was the good father and who was the bad one?

The old guy white hair the good one haha..  the young guy is the cheater. I think you might like this drama. It's very popular! Hehe..

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

9 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Dad: I’m sorry about everything.

Mirae: No, don’t be.

Dad: Just because I adore you, it doesn’t mean that you can be happy. I was too self-centered. 
Dad: You’re still pretty, my dear daughter.

Mirae: It must have been very hard for you. I’m sorry.

Dad: It’s okay. (Wiping her tears) You’ll look ugly if you cry. 

@celebrianna I was going to choose that too . Luckily I chose Doctor/ Doctor Crush. That was a very good dad, it was so touching. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I adored the recent tvN /Netflix drama -Hospital Playlist 2020.

father : Lee Ik Jun (played by Jo Jung Seok)

Son: Lee  Uju: woo joo (played by Kim Joon)

ok biased I love the actor who plays Ikjun (Jo Jung Seok). But I love he is a dad caring for his son alone while doing long distance with his wife in Germany.

I love he has a warm relationship with Uju and will stop at nothing to cheer him up. In the first episode we met them as they are holding hands at the hospital with Ikjun wearing a Darth Vader hat. What a sight.

Halfway through the drama, his wife returns and wants a divorce. Later through an allergic episode by Uju with his mom, Ik Jin found out she was cheating on him.

He is a fun loving, empathetic, smart  and mood maker Doctor. He is willing to learn from his mistakes . He thought from his past experience a dad wouldn’t return due to his daughter needing a liver transplant. He was wrong the dad quit drinking and lost weight to be a suitable liver transplant candidate.

He cannot resist his cute son, when he asks for another egg sandwich or chocolates when he is going to Spain/ he always has a smile. When Ikjun asked Uju do you miss mom? I can ask her to come. He said as long as I have you dad I am good. Then proceeds to ask respectfully please buy me another sandwich . Aww.

When he tried cooking  for him, all his efforts were for naught making donkatsu as Uju wanted something else jjajang myun. But he still went back a started cooking for Uju.

Though being raised by a single dad, Uju is sweet, loves his dad and sensitive. Love their interactions together.

i know Uju is young and their relationship is not big in the drama , but I loved their chemistry & aegyo.

• Like 5
  • Love 12

Drama: Reply 1988

Character: Choi Moo Sung (played by Choi Moo Sung) who is the single father of Choi Taek (played by Park Bo Gum). He lost his wife when Taek was very young. As a result, he was encouraged by his childhood friend, who is also Sun Woo and Jin Ju’s single mother, to relocate to her neighborhood in Ssangmun-dong with a more supportive environment to raise Taek. He followed her advice and did so. There, he befriended other parents in the neighborhood while Taek met and grew up with his 4 best friends (including Sun Woo).

Since both Taek’s father and Sun Woo’s mother were both single parents, they often helped each other out. Sun Woo’s mother would share her home-cooked dishes with Taek’s father especially while Taek was away at his baduk competitions. Sun Woo’s mother worked several day/night jobs to provide for her children so Taek’s father, who runs his own jewelry/watch shop, helped her look after her young daughter, Jin Ju. At first, he was nervous about taking care of a young child again, but he grew to love her like his own daughter. I mean, here’s what he allowed her to do to him:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Anyway, over time, perhaps through mutual understanding and respect of each others’ struggles as single parents, feelings developed and they eventually became each other’s life partners. Taek and Sun Woo who were best friends become step-brothers. Formerly an ahjussi to Jin Ju, he became her stepfather.

Scene: The scene that got me was where before Taek’s father pursued his relations with Sun Woo’s mother, he needed to know that Taek was comfortable about it and wanted his permission.

Here is a recap of the scene that I borrowed from Dramabeans (Episode 16):

Sun-woo’s mom brings over some abalone porridge for Taek before he leaves [for his baduk competition], and as they eat, Dad finally brings up the thing he wants to tell Taek. Taek sees Dad hesitating and assures him that he’s not a kid, and that Dad can tell him anything.

Dad finally gets up the nerve to say, “I’d like to have a good friend by my side, like you.” It’s painfully difficult for Dad to get the words out, but he says that he’d like to live the rest of his life with a friend like Sun-woo’s mom by his side to talk to. But he quickly adds that if Taek doesn’t want him to, he won’t, and that he hasn’t said anything to Sun-woo’s mom because he wanted to get Taek’s permission first. He swears that he’d never do anything to make Taek uncomfortable and that he won’t make friends if Taek doesn’t want him to.

Taek’s voice is choked up but he’s got a big smile on his face, and he says, “Dad, I’d like it if you ate warm rice even when I’m not here.”

giphy.gif

Dad’s eyes well up with tears, and Taek says warmly, “It’s your life, Dad. I’d like it if you were happy. I’m okay with anything as long as you’re happy.” Dad smiles back gratefully and they finish their dinner in good spirits.

giphy.gif

My Reaction: I cried at this scene (as with many other scenes in this drama). I had a soft spot for Taek’s father because he truly dedicated his whole life to raise his son. I was so touched and moved by how he always put his son before himself. It reminded me that it is true that when you have children, they really do become your life and oftentimes, you tend to forget about yourself. So, I was pleased when he and Sun Woo’s mother found companionship and a second chance at love with one another. They struggled and worked so hard for their children so it was fulfilling to see both of them find their own happiness and form a happy blended-family as well. I adored the way Taek's father doted over Jin Ju like she was his own daughter.

• Like 7
  • Love 7
  • Thanks 1

@taeunfighting omg Loved Taek’s dad but decided to go low key. But yes that was an epic drama and loved the dad and Taek. :wub:

• Like 5
  • Love 4

@Nodame @taeunfighting @Jillia @Lawyerh @vangsweetie637 @Alice Wonderland @UnniSarah @celebrianna ~ wow, am so surprised by the warmth and the real life takeaways that you are all posting on these fathers. and here I was wondering if anyone will post on these side characters for this event :sweatingbullets:...people are usually distracted by the kisses, the abs and the romance in the stories but we notice these side characters and their arcs too! kekekeke.... keep em coming folks! want to read more!

• Like 2
  • Love 10

@Nodame, gosh, I completely forgot about Ik Jun. He’s really a father I love to watch. He’s a busy doctor but the quality of the time that he spends with his son is clearly obvious with the loving relationship he shares with his son.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

gosh, am inspired; so here's my post though I am not submitting it for the competition. kekeke...

drama: fated to love you

character: lee geon, almost a father

scene (at the beginning of the song) & my reaction: so I have seen the many versions of this drama. loved the original! the other remakes were not as inspired but the kdrama version stands out to me in its moving portrayal of grief. among all the remakes, the korean version actors are a lot more mature and have more life experience. jang hyuk was already a father of 3 boys when he made this drama and so there is more of a grounding to his character. the way he brings to life the loss he feels of a baby, the loneliness of waiting in the hospital lobby -- it was really moving.

in an interview at the time, he shared that he simply thought of his boys and just the idea of losing them made him tear up. he didn't need those drops that actors use to create tears from the eyes. his scenes had a real gravitas in them and make you feel a punch. sometimes, we forget that men too can feel deeply and fatherhood can be confusing for them. lee geon was not exactly thrilled on becoming a father but when he does embrace it, there is a real loss on losing that baby. it isn't just almost moms cry. almost dads do too!

am not sure if "goodbye my love" was written as a sad love song -- for me, this song has always been about the loss of family love, of losing that time in your life and looking back on regret on the many things you have lost whatever it may be. gah, this song moves me every time!

• Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

@Lmangla Even though I didn’t have a chance to watch the drama you chose, I did see the scene when he loses his baby on a youtube clip. Heartbreaking!!

:cries:

I agree. Dads also cry too because it is their child who is lost forever. I seen a bunch of dads in real life be tough and cool. But when this kind of loss follows, it is hard not to cry. Dads feel their heart was ripped apart too. 

P.S. 

i love the song “Goodbye my Love.” Such a sorrowful tone that makes it so beautiful.

• Like 7
  • Love 6

@vangsweetie637 ~ yea the scene where he breaks down and cries was really heartbreaking. it is one reason I don't rewatch this drama. it is far sadder than the other versions.. but yea, even tough dads cry. something I love about kdramas is that they show men cry openly. it is natural they also feel sad!

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

On 6/26/2020 at 10:04 AM, sadthe1st said:

the first kdrama that came right into my mind when i saw this event title:

i'm just being nosy here... haha not participating...

but maybe, i should rewatch this old drama again...

On 6/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, YongZura⁷ said:

I was thinking of the same father too.  You should do it... i'm going to give full support.  Fighting!

20 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Title: What Happen to My Family?

Characters: Father of three spoiled brats, Cha Soon Bong.

I support this choice 100%. :kiss_wink: Cha Soon Bong from What Happens to My Family is the first father who came to mind when I read @Lmangla's post.

I was glued to this weekend drama when it aired back in the day. I never watch weekend dramas, but this one was just amazing. :wub:

The whole premise of a single father who feels that his three children are all ungrateful brats, and therefore sues them, was a very unique plot line. The children are all of course shocked that the father would take them to court so that he can get money (a sum the children can't afford btw) just because he feels that they haven't giving him filial piety.

The father's actions trigger a whole set of events, slowly starting a healing process and bringing the family back together.

The father is an amazingly heartwarming figure - he loves all his kids so much!

And the last lesson he wants to teach his kids is a hard one, but one that is necessary in order for them to become better people.

2d076ba4ba1a2d6ccbd38adecc711d80c620cca1

Now I want to re-watch this drama. :joy:

• Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 3

1 hour ago, partyon said:

The whole premise of a single father who feels that his three children are all ungrateful brats, and therefore sues them, was a very unique plot line. The children are all of course shocked that the father would take them to court so that he can get money (a sum the children can't afford btw) just because he feels that they haven't giving him filial piety.

The father's actions trigger a whole set of events, slowly starting a healing process and bringing the family back together.

The father is an amazingly heartwarming figure - he loves all his kids so much!

And the last lesson he wants to teach his kids is a hard one, but one that is necessary in order for them to become better people.

Now I want to re-watch this drama

It's not fun only a bunch of people watched this. Right. So agreed! It's the reason why I liked the drama. I even still rewatch it once in a while. 

It has the same kind of problem like in other family dramas but here it feels pretty different the way they delivered every messages or how the actors emotes in expressing the moments of family are just wonderful. I laughed a lot but I cried a lot as well. I feel bittersweet and happy along with them. 

Watching all he family are finally bonding together, support each other and loving like a truly real family are just so wonderful. Something that is rare in recent dramas. Because they keep taking the same idea only to be re-coated into a different form of characters and events. 

Let's do it! The rewatch and we can continue at there while making our money. Hahaha

@Lmangla I'm glad that you pick the right theme for this event. So you ask for more, then could I deliver one more draft? Suddenly I remember some inspiring fathers now. Hahaha. Wait.. when is the deadline? 29th rite?? I hope I can finish it in time. I'm too distracted with so many stuffs. :lol:

We love side characters and we do notice their roles. Even it's the tiniest one they get but as they make some good role model and inspirations then they deserved our love and appreciation.

• Like 7
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@Nodame @taeunfighting @Jillia @Lawyerh @vangsweetie637 @Alice Wonderland @UnniSarah @celebrianna ~ wow, am so surprised by the warmth and the real life takeaways that you are all posting on these fathers. and here I was wondering if anyone will post on these side characters for this event :sweatingbullets:...people are usually distracted by the kisses, the abs and the romance in the stories but we notice these side characters and their arcs too! kekekeke.... keep em coming folks! want to read more!

I have to say, side characters can be easily forgotten. Actually family's love sometimes make me sadder than story of romance breakup. But my memory really short. I don't remember it anymore :lol::sweatingbullets:

@Nodame @celebrianna Ikjun is lovely as father to Uju. How can I forget him as best father? My bad. Thanks Nodame for bring him into essay.

@Alice Wonderland I have only rough memory about the father in What Happens in Family, but agree he was a good father. Sorry I was to engrossed at Seo Kang Joon that time :D

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Sorry I was to engrossed at Seo Kang Joon that time 

hahahah;; I really enjoyed his relationship with his stepbrother and how he helped the brother find the romance groove with the oldest sister in the family. that was one really funny romance!

5 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

I have to say, side characters can be easily forgotten. Actually family's love sometimes make me sadder than story of romance breakup. But my memory really short. I don't remember it anymore :lol:

same here! I have short term memory for pretty much everything including romance! :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

@Lawyerh @celebrianna Thank you! I loved Ikjun & reading the other entries wasn’t sure if he was strong enough. But his pure love and adoration of his son. Being busy doctor and from married to single dad , their cute interactions and scenes melted my heart.

Thanks for the kind words.:cutekitty: I thought of World of the Married, I saw the other entry before mine, then I will keep it light hearted with my recent fave dad Ikjun . I thought he needed recognition. Plus I love he will be one IRL next month with Gummy. His BTS with the child actor is so precious that their ease with each other translates on the small screen.

@Lmangla oh my god that korean remake with Jang Hyuk and Jang Nara - epic and great acting, though not an entry a good one.

@im0202 Omg loved Reply 1988, those writers led me to love Prison Playbook & Hospital Playlist. The father who is in all of the Reply serious with his warm acting and satori just was heart warming. Thank you.

@Lawyerh Hehe love your profile pic btw! Yes I def considered WOTM, but your write up is great about the contrasting fathers and totally agree.

• Like 6
  • Love 6

31 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@Nodame @celebrianna Ikjun is lovely as father to Uju. How can I forget him as best father? My bad. Thanks Nodame for bring him into essay.

Here count me as four. I love IJ and UJ! and I think we're too occupied with the dad love matter's life or other aspects in the drama so we forgot for a while. Hahahaa. 

He's the best father for him! If UJ is lucky to be his son! And so as him, being so lucky to have UJ and him as his father. 

@Lawyerh if TWOTM is not focussing on that cheater maybe I will try to look for the dad. But ughh... I told you I avoid this kind of drama whenever they appear. Sorry. :lol:

Oh SKJ? While I like PHS more in there even his early attitudes are not nice. 

@Lmangla :coolshades: copy that cap!

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

this is a solid proof that our obsession to kdrama even its start from oppa eonnie only or the kisses, abs, romance that hugely interesting doesnt make us spoiled child huhu we sure have an eye for father role deep inside? Kinda like that. 

As noob to kdrama its really heartwarming to read these post while missing my father:heart: keep em coming:heart::please:

@Nodame im totally fall for Ikjun scenes when he is concerning about Uju as appa omo thx for writing it here beautifully! @taeunfighting also with Choi Moo Sung I watched R88 thankfully & yes yes yes go girl the post is on point:please: im in teary! Ahahahah

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

@bairama Awww grateful for your kind words.:Megathanks:The words just flowed out as my love for Hospital Playlist but especially my extra love for Ikjun & Uju was so easy for me! I loved the friends and patient stories but adored their story too.:heart1:

• Like 7
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Here is a father that loved and adored his daughter who was pretty much ostracized for her looks. From flashbacks we get that his daughter was considered ugly and repeatedly made fun of by her classmates throughout her school life. She even contemplated suicide because of this issue. 

this show a side that all parents and in this case father always thought the best of their kids....it doesn’t matter what they are inside....to them and always their kids is the best

• Like 9
  • Love 2