Fathers of dramaland

Lmangla

father's day  

41 members have voted

1. 1. which submission did you love? (you can pick 3)

• sushimi - Kill me heal me
    • angelangie - my only one
    • phikyl - person who gives happiness
    • mademoisellesia - healer/spring night/city hunter
    • im0202 - reply 1988
    • jillia - my father is strange
    • lawyerh - the world of the married
    • alice wonderland - what happens to my family / pinocchio
    • unnisarah - doctor crush
    • celebrianna - gangnam beauty
    • vangsweetie637 - secret
    • nodame - hospital playlist
    • taeunfighting - reply 1988
    • joccu - madame butterfly / life is beautiful
    • yongzura - flower in prison
    • superspace - reply 1988
    • yamiyugi - heaven's promise

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2020 at 02:00 PM

Title: What Happen to My Family?

What Happens to My Family?

Characters: Father of three spoiled brats, Cha Soon Bong.

The story is about a family which a single father own a tofu store has raised his three children alone. He makes sure that the children felt loved and fulfilled. But the three children, Cha Gang Shim, Cha Gang Jae, Cha Dal Bong, grew up as very spoiled and ungrateful one. The eldest daughter Gang Shim is such a workaholic who puts her work before everything else. The second son is such a jerk who abandoned the family to marry a woman from a rich family. Then, the youngest son is such a headache who keps causing trouble, jobless and very immature.

The whole family is very chaotic and the father is very heartbroken but kept it to himself. Until one day something happens to the father and things start to change. Cha Soon Bong made his decision that he shouldn't let the whole family broke to pieces. So he asked them with some wishes to fulfilled. His final mission to let his children learn what their mistakes are, grow up more mature and being responsible with their life.

My comments:

It's long 53 episodes weekend drama in 2014-2015 but I came across watching this through kbs YT around 2017. Long drama series is not really my style but after 1 episode it kept me interested and I finished it to the end. This drama might be that kind of common family drama with usual kdrama tropes but the acting of each casts and the moral message are just so marvelous! Especially looking how all the three siblings make their efforts to be a filial daughter and sons. It gives you such a good feeling which tug you right in your heartstrings.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chose Doctor/ Doctor Crush

There were Four father in this drama and I was amazed at the fact they never changed their nature even in the End of this drama. They stood by their actions no matter what. It is good to have character like these because it means they weren’t truly flimsy at all. 
Terrible father

Yoo Hye Jun her father Yoo Min Ho

He as a terrible dad and expected his daughter to be a part of his life after losing contact with her for many years. He allowed his wife to bully his child. He successfully ran a restaurant through hush money from the death of his mom. He never apologized for the past. Without him YHJ became a successful doctor. 

Good Father 

Hong Ji Hong his father Hong Doo-Sik

He was a great father and Doctor. He has morals and respect for everyone. He loved his adopted son after HJH lost his mom. He supported his son in the bad and good times. 

Jin Seo-Woo her father Jin Myong-Hoon

Jin Myong-Hoon his father Jin Sung-Jong  JMH and JSj were terrible human being ans very greedy. They had one good quality they loved their child no matter the flaw they had. Stood by them in the good or bad time in each of their lives 

@Saja La @maribella @chococarmela @youngae  @stroppyse @nohamahamoud2002 

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

omo, that was indeed such a classic! haven't seen the drama and whenever I see clips of healer, it is always the kisses or the fights but this is rather sweet too! :lol: I loved the looks of others in the clip as they are torn between laughing and horrified! LOL

It was an unexpected scene and turned out to be so fun to watch. JCW was all "What the hell??" and the other Ahjussi is just, "It's the norm...imma not fazed." The music choice was unique too. 

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

yea, that was one complicated relationship! but rather fun to watch because it is hard to categorize. it was actually far more interesting and entertaining than the romance for me.

Bahahahaha that last comment! The romance is just dessert. The rest of the good stuff are entree and main. I love the Daddy; an anti-hero. I actually like Yoon Sung's real father too. Ahhh, their dynamics were awesome. Would really love to see them reunite for another drama... errr, we're allowed to chit chat here, right?

904232-484901774897878-1322098934-o.jpg

My pick is Kang Tae Shik, father of Kang Mi Rae in My ID Gangnam Beauty.

Here is a father that loved and adored his daughter who was pretty much ostracized for her looks. From flashbacks we get that his daughter was considered ugly and repeatedly made fun of by her classmates throughout her school life. She even contemplated suicide because of this issue. 

Consequently, before entering college, Mirae, with the consent of her mother, decided to get plastic surgery without telling her dad who absolutely adores her. The first scene below shows dad finding out the bombshell without warning. Understandably he’s hurt and pretty upset by this new face on his daughter. By episode 7, however, the two made up completely although in prior episodes it was clear that her dad’s heart was already beginning to accept this physical change in his daughter. After all, his daughter was still his daughter inside and he began to really understand that despite the fact that he adored her, his daughter took such drastic actions because she was very unhappy. I love when he gave his wife $5 million dollars after the fact to cover the surgery bill. Honestly, both parents are daebak. 

Scene at 7:33: Dad comes with a bouquet of flowers to visit his daughter at her university debut

Scene at 1:19: Dad confesses to the police that he was the one following his daughter in order to ensure she gets home safe.

Scene at 54:05: Dad takes daughter out to karaoke and then finally we get dad and daughter apologizing to each other about their fallout after he learned she has plastic surgery. It’s a really sweet scene.

Dad: I’m sorry about everything.

Mirae: No, don’t be.

Dad: Just because I adore you, it doesn’t mean that you can be happy. I was too self-centered. 
Dad: You’re still pretty, my dear daughter.

Mirae: It must have been very hard for you. I’m sorry.

Dad: It’s okay. (Wiping her tears) You’ll look ugly if you cry. 

Scene at 59:32: Dad finally changes the picture of his daughter that’s hanging in his taxi cab. He also tears up and tells his wife that he wished he had a chance to say good bye to his daughter’s old face before she did plastic surgery. He does this while caressing the picture of his daughter’s old picture.

5 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Lesson learnt :

•Affair proof your marriage for the sake of kids future.

•Support them quietly and unconditionally. 

good one! so in the poster, who was the good father and who was the bad one?

1 minute ago, Lmangla said:

kekeke... @vangsweetie637 ~ don't you hate it when that happens. think everyone would have that experience at least once! am curious to see which appa you picked!

lol it often happens to me whenever I type a lot and need to find gifs. Gets me every time lol

Now i am trying to think about everything i wrote haha 

My dad once told me: “If I ever forget anything in this world, I hope it’s not my children. I love you guys a lot and would give up my life without thinking twice.” 

In life, we are often so busy, we can easily forget the Dads in our life....until something comes by and makes you remember you should always tell your dad you love him..

Parents raise us when we were young. We should raise them when they are old.

——

Drama: Secret/Secret Love

Father: Kang Woo-Chul (father of the FL, Kang Yoo Jung)

——

If you have not seen this drama, it is an intense battle between love and revenge. We never get to see the childhood of Kang Yoo Jung and her father. But it is easy to say that he loved and protected her a lot, even in his lost memories. YJ never strayed from her father even if he had dementia. She didn’t put him in a nursing home. She made sure to take care of him just like he did for her when she was young. He was both her mom and dad in this lifetime.

There were 3 pivotal scenes in this drama between father and daughter that made me connect myself to my own father.

1: When the police calls YJ and tells her they found the body of her father, she identifies him and cries. Not only was her father found in such a far place away from his home, he had bruises and cuts on his hands and feet. She also realized his ID bracelet is missing which indicated someone forcefully took it off. The bruises on his feet shows that he walked with no shoes. She cries heartbreakingly and calls her dad, telling him to wake up.

:bawling::bawling:

My thought: I would cry the very same way if my dad was found this way. I would shake and call his name, telling him to wake up from his slumber to go sleep somewhere more comfortably. And those bruises and cuts, I would bandage them all of up even if he had already passed. I can never bear the thought that my dad was suffering painfully before his last moments. 

2. YJ bangs her head on the wall when she realizes it was her damn ex-boyfriend who killed her dad. It was him who abandoned and dumped her dad in the middle of nowhere, knowing perfectly well he wouldn’t find his way back due to his mental condition. The person she thought she loved was the one who killed her precious father. The guilt and pain ate her up, and all she could do was cry while looking at the happy picture of her and her dad. Their dream was to open a bakery together. She knew that the dream was put on hold because she took the blame for her ex-boyfriend’s crime. And now, she felt responsible for her dad’s death and shocked that she even put her trust in someone like her ex-boyfriend to help her take care of her dad.

ezgif-3-e9285c56de3f.png

:cries:

My thought: If I ever found out it was my ex-boyfriend who killed my dad and especially because I gave up so much for him in the first place, I would drag him to the police station with the evidence after giving him a whipping beatdown:

giphy.gif

Nothing would break my heart more than to know my dad was abandoned somewhere just to die. I love my dad a lot, just like YJ does towards hers.

Three: We actually find out the reason behind the father’s death. The ex-boyfriend picked him up from wandering off at a bus station. It was raining that day. In the car, the rain triggered the memory of that night the crime happened. He confronted the ex-boyfriend and the ex replies by saying “you remember that night?”. The father looks at him with assertive eyes and states “Why wouldn’t I remember that night. It was you who drove that night and had Yoo Jung take all the blame.”

Boom! Caught!! And you thought dementia ate all his memories. Wrong. He only had one keen memory left and that was the one of his daughter’s truth. While everyone keeps trying to make his daughter feel guilty and horrible for admitting to the crime, her father wouldn’t allow it and confronted the real killer. He did it with confidence and love for his daughter. Sadly, these were the last words from the father. To think he is a man who has lost most of his memories, who wanders into the streets hopelessly and helplessly, he still retains the one memory of his daughter: his confident belief that his daughter never committed the crime. He made sure the jerk boyfriend knew that Yoo Jung still had someone who remembers the truth. If this isn’t a fatherly love then I don’t know what it is. 

:teaze:

My thought: Alzheimer eats away memories. If my dad can remember even just a little part of me, it would be enough of a happy memory. Yoo Jung’s father lost most of his memories except the one of his daughter.

:heart4:

Who says kdrama fathers are nothing like real fathers? Both worlds still show the genuine, the sorrow, the anger, the happiness and the love of fathers.  

:happyshakes:

———

omo. Is my entry too long? I just wrote what I wanted to say :D let me know if it needs to be condensed. 

9 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Dad: I’m sorry about everything.

Mirae: No, don’t be.

Dad: Just because I adore you, it doesn’t mean that you can be happy. I was too self-centered. 
Dad: You’re still pretty, my dear daughter.

Mirae: It must have been very hard for you. I’m sorry.

Dad: It’s okay. (Wiping her tears) You’ll look ugly if you cry. 

@celebrianna I was going to choose that too . Luckily I chose Doctor/ Doctor Crush. That was a very good dad, it was so touching. 

I adored the recent tvN /Netflix drama -Hospital Playlist 2020.

father : Lee Ik Jun (played by Jo Jung Seok)

Son: Lee  Uju: woo joo (played by Kim Joon)

ok biased I love the actor who plays Ikjun (Jo Jung Seok). But I love he is a dad caring for his son alone while doing long distance with his wife in Germany.

I love he has a warm relationship with Uju and will stop at nothing to cheer him up. In the first episode we met them as they are holding hands at the hospital with Ikjun wearing a Darth Vader hat. What a sight.

Halfway through the drama, his wife returns and wants a divorce. Later through an allergic episode by Uju with his mom, Ik Jin found out she was cheating on him.

He is a fun loving, empathetic, smart  and mood maker Doctor. He is willing to learn from his mistakes . He thought from his past experience a dad wouldn’t return due to his daughter needing a liver transplant. He was wrong the dad quit drinking and lost weight to be a suitable liver transplant candidate.

He cannot resist his cute son, when he asks for another egg sandwich or chocolates when he is going to Spain/ he always has a smile. When Ikjun asked Uju do you miss mom? I can ask her to come. He said as long as I have you dad I am good. Then proceeds to ask respectfully please buy me another sandwich . Aww.

When he tried cooking  for him, all his efforts were for naught making donkatsu as Uju wanted something else jjajang myun. But he still went back a started cooking for Uju.

Though being raised by a single dad, Uju is sweet, loves his dad and sensitive. Love their interactions together.

i know Uju is young and their relationship is not big in the drama , but I loved their chemistry & aegyo.

Drama: Reply 1988

Character: Choi Moo Sung (played by Choi Moo Sung) who is the single father of Choi Taek (played by Park Bo Gum). He lost his wife when Taek was very young. As a result, he was encouraged by his childhood friend, who is also Sun Woo and Jin Ju’s single mother, to relocate to her neighborhood in Ssangmun-dong with a more supportive environment to raise Taek. He followed her advice and did so. There, he befriended other parents in the neighborhood while Taek met and grew up with his 4 best friends (including Sun Woo).

Since both Taek’s father and Sun Woo’s mother were both single parents, they often helped each other out. Sun Woo’s mother would share her home-cooked dishes with Taek’s father especially while Taek was away at his baduk competitions. Sun Woo’s mother worked several day/night jobs to provide for her children so Taek’s father, who runs his own jewelry/watch shop, helped her look after her young daughter, Jin Ju. At first, he was nervous about taking care of a young child again, but he grew to love her like his own daughter. I mean, here’s what he allowed her to do to him:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Anyway, over time, perhaps through mutual understanding and respect of each others’ struggles as single parents, feelings developed and they eventually became each other’s life partners. Taek and Sun Woo who were best friends become step-brothers. Formerly an ahjussi to Jin Ju, he became her stepfather.

Scene: The scene that got me was where before Taek’s father pursued his relations with Sun Woo’s mother, he needed to know that Taek was comfortable about it and wanted his permission.

Here is a recap of the scene that I borrowed from Dramabeans (Episode 16):

Sun-woo’s mom brings over some abalone porridge for Taek before he leaves [for his baduk competition], and as they eat, Dad finally brings up the thing he wants to tell Taek. Taek sees Dad hesitating and assures him that he’s not a kid, and that Dad can tell him anything.

Dad finally gets up the nerve to say, “I’d like to have a good friend by my side, like you.” It’s painfully difficult for Dad to get the words out, but he says that he’d like to live the rest of his life with a friend like Sun-woo’s mom by his side to talk to. But he quickly adds that if Taek doesn’t want him to, he won’t, and that he hasn’t said anything to Sun-woo’s mom because he wanted to get Taek’s permission first. He swears that he’d never do anything to make Taek uncomfortable and that he won’t make friends if Taek doesn’t want him to.

Taek’s voice is choked up but he’s got a big smile on his face, and he says, “Dad, I’d like it if you ate warm rice even when I’m not here.”

giphy.gif

Dad’s eyes well up with tears, and Taek says warmly, “It’s your life, Dad. I’d like it if you were happy. I’m okay with anything as long as you’re happy.” Dad smiles back gratefully and they finish their dinner in good spirits.

giphy.gif

My Reaction: I cried at this scene (as with many other scenes in this drama). I had a soft spot for Taek’s father because he truly dedicated his whole life to raise his son. I was so touched and moved by how he always put his son before himself. It reminded me that it is true that when you have children, they really do become your life and oftentimes, you tend to forget about yourself. So, I was pleased when he and Sun Woo’s mother found companionship and a second chance at love with one another. They struggled and worked so hard for their children so it was fulfilling to see both of them find their own happiness and form a happy blended-family as well. I adored the way Taek's father doted over Jin Ju like she was his own daughter.

@Nodame @taeunfighting @Jillia @Lawyerh @vangsweetie637 @Alice Wonderland @UnniSarah @celebrianna ~ wow, am so surprised by the warmth and the real life takeaways that you are all posting on these fathers. and here I was wondering if anyone will post on these side characters for this event :sweatingbullets:...people are usually distracted by the kisses, the abs and the romance in the stories but we notice these side characters and their arcs too! kekekeke.... keep em coming folks! want to read more!

gosh, am inspired; so here's my post though I am not submitting it for the competition. kekeke...

drama: fated to love you

character: lee geon, almost a father

scene (at the beginning of the song) & my reaction: so I have seen the many versions of this drama. loved the original! the other remakes were not as inspired but the kdrama version stands out to me in its moving portrayal of grief. among all the remakes, the korean version actors are a lot more mature and have more life experience. jang hyuk was already a father of 3 boys when he made this drama and so there is more of a grounding to his character. the way he brings to life the loss he feels of a baby, the loneliness of waiting in the hospital lobby -- it was really moving.

in an interview at the time, he shared that he simply thought of his boys and just the idea of losing them made him tear up. he didn't need those drops that actors use to create tears from the eyes. his scenes had a real gravitas in them and make you feel a punch. sometimes, we forget that men too can feel deeply and fatherhood can be confusing for them. lee geon was not exactly thrilled on becoming a father but when he does embrace it, there is a real loss on losing that baby. it isn't just almost moms cry. almost dads do too!

am not sure if "goodbye my love" was written as a sad love song -- for me, this song has always been about the loss of family love, of losing that time in your life and looking back on regret on the many things you have lost whatever it may be. gah, this song moves me every time!

Archived