• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lmangla

Fathers of dramaland

father's day  

41 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. which submission did you love? (you can pick 3)

• sushimi - Kill me heal me
    • angelangie - my only one
    • phikyl - person who gives happiness
    • mademoisellesia - healer/spring night/city hunter
    • im0202 - reply 1988
    • jillia - my father is strange
    • lawyerh - the world of the married
    • alice wonderland - what happens to my family / pinocchio
    • unnisarah - doctor crush
    • celebrianna - gangnam beauty
    • vangsweetie637 - secret
    • nodame - hospital playlist
    • taeunfighting - reply 1988
    • joccu - madame butterfly / life is beautiful
    • yongzura - flower in prison
    • superspace - reply 1988
    • yamiyugi - heaven's promise

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2020 at 02:00 PM

Hello chingus, here's a new event where both participants and top winners will get a chance to win points that they can use in members shop to redeem towards medals.

The theme of this event is "fathers of dramaland"! Why? So for those who don't know, the third Sunday of June is celebrated as "father's day" in many parts of the world and is a day dedicated towards honouring fathers.

Now in dramaland, we have all sorts of fathers -- the good, the bad, the ugly! Here's a chance for you to reflect and present the best and worst of dramaland -- basically whatever scene got a reaction out of you! So, you can be as creative as you like -- you can do a poster! you can do a MV! or you can do a small write up! you can include pictures, videos or little scene gifs! you can use lots of gif emojis to express your feelings! or a big essay (but not so long - max 500 words) on some aspect of fathers of dramaland.

The cut off time for entries will be Sunday, June 28, Korea time 3 PM. then a poll will be set up where chingus across Soompi can vote on the entries they really loved. The poll will close on Monday June 29, Korea time 11 PM.

To give you an idea, here's an example:

Drama: my mom is having an affair (daily drama, currently airing SBS)

Characters:

Min Ji -- a 7 year old child, she is currently in kindergarten

Seok Joon -- a lodger in their house who will eventually become her stepfather

Scene: Min Ji falls sick and grandmother is not able to go pick her up. She tries calling the mother Pil Jeong, aunt, Seon Jeong and even the son Min Ho but is not able to get in touch. Out of desperation, she calls the lodger in their house Seok Joon to go pick Min Ji up. He is not very enthusiastic but he is at a work dinner with a colleague who is trying to make moves on him. so picking up a sick child is far more preferable! He picks her up from kindergarten (the teacher had been informed by the grandmother) and piggy backs her home.

My reaction: It is kind of hilarious but he grumbles that she is so heavy. Hah! He didn't have to lug a drunk grown woman like other leads. :lol: Min Ji thinks of him as a rather cantankerous ajusshi but she loved the piggy back ride. she tells her mom that his back felt so strong and warm; awww, :fingerheartx: Her father died before she was born and so it was her first time getting a piggy back ride. She loves the piggy back so much that she gives him a little peck on the cheek the next morning as a thank you! so cute!

Tag other friend who are watching/watched the drama with you! -- @brooksmom @0ly40 @tulip06 @kiefshi1056 @heartslined @UnniSarah @joccu @foreverempress @dramaninja @yamiyugi @Bejaffled @Leila Essalih @mizkorea @tas82 @dolorisbrady @calledtoteach .... (chingus, if you are looking for an easy going drama to watch, do check out "my mom is having an affair")

Not that hard right? You can also include characters who may take on fatherly roles though they may not be fathers -- maybe they are a grandfather, uncle, a mentor colleague. Now lets discover some of these interesting characters in dramaland!

Inspired by idea suggestions from @phikyl and @Sushimi : :wub:

re: @Hanyeoun

• Like 13
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Drama: Kill me heal me

Characters:Cha Joon-pyo, he is the father of Cha Do Hyun (Ji Sung) and Cha Joon Young (Hwang Jung Eun)

Scene: During a massive gathering of high tiered individuals, Do Hyun entered the kitchen to grab some food as though he is running away...But the truth is, he was trying to snuck food in to the room where Joon Young was kept and locked away by their father Joon Pyo. Mission failed as Joon Pyo caught Do Hyun red handed, he pulls Do Hyun out. Entering once again to beat Joon Young instead.

(Not the exact scene but to show that he is very stern)

My reaction: I understand exactly as to why the father wouldn’t want to accept her because he knew that, she isn’t his real daughter, but had he took care of her despite this fact, Do Hyun wouldn’t have broke down and thus creating this storyline of all of his personalities. I feel like a father should at least have the compassion of taking care the now orphan Joon Young rather than locking her away. At the same time, I also understand the stress that the father have to go through in the family. He is very remorseful after those years that he apologises to them and not just ignore it. Though there is a sore spot for them, but through their father’s actions, they learn how to fly faster and be more independent. 

A quote that I would like to share “le vent se lève il faut tenter de vivre.” (Which summaries into, the wind is rising and we must try to live):bunnywar: Despite their hardship, they taught themselves on how to survive through the abuse and neglect. 

• Like 6
  • Love 11

the first kdrama that came right into my mind when i saw this event title:

Spoiler

i'm just being nosy here... haha not participating...

but maybe, i should rewatch this old drama again... :poledance:

• Like 11
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

@sadthe1st ~ kekeke.. you could do a small note on why you thought of "what happens to my family?" -- what you liked about the drama, what you didn't like, anything really! I gave an example to show if it doesn't have to be anything super complicated. so you can try if you have some time. :) but this is a really good weekend drama that certainly fits this theme! 

• Like 12
  • Love 3

22 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

the first kdrama that came right into my mind when i saw this event title:

Hide contents

i'm just being nosy here... haha not participating...

but maybe, i should rewatch this old drama again... 

I was thinking of the same father too.  You should do it... i'm going to give full support.  Fighting! :ok:

• Like 11
  • Love 5

3 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

I was thinking of the same father too.  You should do it... i'm going to give full support.  Fighting!

you could also write about the same father/drama too! no worries, if same character is mentioned by several people. basically different thoughts on fatherhood and the feels!

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Just now, Lmangla said:

you could also write about the same father/drama too! no worries, if same character is mentioned by several people. basically different thoughts on fatherhood and the feels!

@LmanglaI'm going to sleep on it first ... :glasses:  I'll come back 

• Like 8
  • LOL 3

How many points for the winner @Lmangla I think it's gonna be fun. I'm not good at making videos/mv or any posters so I probably will think what could I write for the father. You know I could totally forget there's a day for fathers what I always remember is mother's day. Sorry dad, all the dads. :lol:

I'm going to recall what father figures from dramaland that I've watched. I don't watch dailies so I'll pick it up from mini series drama instead. 

Anyway... glad soompi has more and more cool events. It's so lovely and lively fun. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

Ooo. This looks fun! I need to think wisely so I can win some points:

:kaching3:

:P

• Like 10
  • Love 1

My Only One, there are so many good fathers in this drama....

First one is DoRan's adoptive father (Kim Dong-chul), who always love her as his own and look out for her too.....knowing that DoRan is not his own flesh and blood he still love her as his own and gave the best of all for her and be there for her too.....not to mention that he always try his best to ensure Kang Soo-il is kept posted of DoRan upbringing.....

Kang Soo-il he is a good father and also a husband....trying to look out for Doran from afar and not telling her that he is her father.....knowing how the society will react to him and brought burden on Doran.....

Wang Jin-gook a good father for the Dae-Ryook & Eun-Young, a good and filial son who always look out for his mother who is having dementia......he might not approve at first however he will always take a step back and analyze it again to see if there is something he might miss......

dont ask me to give u the clips @Lmangla cant think of it hahahaha :D u can help me with it if u want ;) 

• Like 14
  • Love 5

good question @Alice Wonderland; the number of points will depend on points master @Hanyeoun and @ebullient; we don't have any cap on number of participants but the number of top winners will depend on the number of total entries we have.

and yea, daily/weekend dramas do tend to have more character space for fathers but even in rom-coms, you do tend to see them. you can also include those secretary type ajusshis who give sage fatherly advice to the leads! basically any character that makes you think about fatherhood or give off those father feels.

am totally tech handicapped as well! hahahah.. I still haven't figured out how to screenshot and post a pic! LOL. so I just use whatever is available in uncle google's library! hahahha so, just play to your strengths and do whatever you feel like on the theme. so there's no limit on how creative you can be!

@angelangie ~ which dramas are theses characters from? you didn't mention them! can you edit your post to include the names.

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

@angelangie ~ which dramas are theses characters from? you didn't mention them! can you edit your post to include the names.

i did i stated it at the top 'My Only One' lols....okie i highlighted it so that it is more visible lols

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

good question @Alice Wonderland; the number of points will depend on points master @Hanyeoun and @ebullient; we don't have any cap on number of participants but the number of top winners will depend on the number of total

So instead of points could we get panda or uwu as the prizes??? :yaaa:

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3

Omo. I realized i only have until Sunday to do this event. I have watched a number of dramas and have seen all kinds of fathers. But it’s 1:34am where I am. I will have to sleep on it for tonight..

:crazily:

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

3 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

So instead of points could we get panda or uwu as the prizes??? :yaaa:

NOOOO i already got mine :P a father day badge ;) 

• Like 5
  • LOL 7
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, angelangie said:

NOOOO i already got mine :P a father day badge ;) 

Hahaha. I know know. Sigh

Aha! That's good idea! A fsther's badge will do. We can earn points ourselves so we need a special badge as the prize. 

@vangsweetie637 same here. I just got home fron work. And I might try to write the opening at night later. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3

My favorite father in a show has to be Lee Gun Woo from Person Who Gives Happiness. 

The show itself is about a single mother of an adopted child as she struggles through life and the crazy things that come with having adopted her son. His biological father is a real piece of work which, to me, only highlights just how much better a father Gun Woo is. 

While Gun Woo is not biologically related to Im Ha Yoon, he goes out of his way throughout the entire show to prove his love for the boy, and make sure Ha Yoon knows that he's loved no matter what their relation is. 

I think that Gun Woo is the epitome of a perfect father; loving, caring, fighting to protect the ones he loves. He never gives up on loving Im Ha Yoon and doesn't abandon him just because Ha Yoon is not his biological son. Though Gun Woo is not his biological father, he never falters in his care and protection of Ha Yoon and I think that's what makes him a true father. 

• Like 12
  • Love 6

One more question @Lmangla what if the essay has the same father figure in it but of course in different contents, can it be??

Wow @phikyl is fast!! I thought there must be very late already. Haven't you slept? Nice essay! I don't need to watch dailies but we could get some bits of it through everyone's writing. 

• Like 9
  • Love 4

17 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

One more question @Lmangla what if the essay has the same father figure in it but of course in different contents, can it be??

yup, you can include. you can even do a more negative or more complicated father figure like how @Sushimi picked. you can look at different aspects of fatherhood like a certain theme and include different dramas. or just a small scene in a drama that stands out. sometimes, I love those hand hold or hugs or advice scenes far more between family members and make me go awwwww.. basically anyway you interpret the theme is fine!

• Like 12
  • Love 4

At the risk of being dis-qualified at the start, I submit for your consideration a FEMALE character that acted in more of a firm handed paternal roll, than that of a comforting mother.  + she exhibited some other characteristics typically reserved for father figures ...

Drama - Angels Last Mission ( 16 episodes KBS )

Character - Ms Jung - Butler  ( Woo Hee-Jin )

Others - Yeon Seo  ( Shin Hye-Sun )  Kim Dan ( Kim Myung-Soo )

Ms Jung is a Butler in service to once great ballerina ( Yeon Seo ) who has been blinded by an accident, and become cold cruel and closed off - Where others cower in front of Yeon Seo's harsh temper, Ms Jung has always stood toe-to-toe with the arrogant selfish young girl, and will not hesitate to put the girl in her place regardless of the circumstance ...

In this scene, Yeon Seo has just returned home from the hospital after eye surgery which has restored her vision - what would normally be a moment of happiness in regaining ones sight, is marred by the fact that her sight was restored with eyes donated by one of her former caregivers, one of the rare individuals she actually cared about - as she wallows in misery, Ms Jung arrives and takes her to task for not properly taking care of her new eyes ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-uTgWFumQ

On the more humorous side, In this scene, Ms Jung has walked in on Yeon Seo & Kim Dan as they were about to kiss,( as alot of Dads have done ) and like alot of Dads, she toys with them in the awkward moment, having already seen them kiss outside the night before, she has more fun at their expense ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4mAmqWLDsE

Keeping it on the humorous side, in this scene Ms Jung as the parental figure, is being asked by Kim Dan, for permission to marry Yeon Seo, and like so many fathers, she takes a joke a bit too far .... but in the end recovers nicely 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=727uQU_6si0

• Like 7
  • LOL 6
  • Awesome 1