Quantcast

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone mentioned how unrealistic this show was having all these guys fighting over her or showing interest. I think that that is the whole point. When you have a story and this is a story not a docud

True Beauty Ep 1 & 2 Review:   Themes: I really loved how they addressed the topics of bullying, suicide, pretty priviledge, hate comments about celebrities because these are very real i

Park Yoo-na as Sujin. She has such a loveable face to me lol I can't picture her as a villain.  I was reading in an article that she will become close friends with Suho.   Granted it was tra

Thanks for this forum.

Saw this on DIGGLE

Enjoying this drama easy breezy and filling in the void as I watch some other more serious fare this rotation.

My sis reads the webtoon and I have not read it. But I love MGY and the male actors are not shabby other.

I saw the biker boy in "18 Again" and he was great there. So great seeing him here. CEW has improved alot since "Your ID Is Gangnam Beauty". He is improving but I agree that biker boy is more compelling. But of the trio MGY does shine the brightest as the FL. I agree with others her tone of our voice at time is a bit grating a bit. 

I let reason and thoughts go out of my head.

Her sis is amazing and GIRL CRUSH material. She was a "boss" changing her crush the Home Room/Korean Lit teacher's tires and telling him to treat her to dinner. Her liking him at first glance after seeing him so sweet to the little girl. AWWW.

Biker boy such a good son. Earning his tuition and doting on his mom with no dad in the picture. OOMG only thing he does mom doesn't like is riding a bike? Awwww. Big softie. Not as bad guy as you think.

CEW character i cold and semi nice to IJK at the comic store and is very much rude to everyone else. Then to see the back story IJK younger self consoled a sad  CEW child counterpart. His relationship with dad is strained and due to mutual BFF boy group member who apparently took his life and biker boy blames him.  Awwww.

Crush from girl crush new friend who before MGY's character was the only gal he talked to. Now he even joined the study group and protected her face after having cake thrown at her to clean it in peace. Was not liking how CEW character was taking advantage of FL pain. Go tell him! I am glad he was chastised enough to repent a little.

It is cute seeing CEW character have the candy bar (he doesn't like sweets but took the FL bar when she wanted to wish him good luck on his exams). He had extra bowl of ramen at the book store but FL ran away after giving him a neck pillow before he could ask her to stay. I did FIND It HAWT/HOT when he pulled her hair tie out of her hair when talking the ''make up free" FL face. He is touched by her warm words and sincere gestures.

Biker boy despite himself is finding his eyes go to FL. Knowing his ex BFF liking her he wants to aggravate CEW character. But ME thinks he is starting to enjoy their interactions. I mean her tattling on him and he was like NO I have black mail pic of you! LOL. Then to annoy CEW further gives his bike keys to FL in front of him saying he will listen to her. (He doesn't know the deal that their moms know each other and she is his mom's "spy".) Plus his cold heart melted a little when he let her ride his bike. (He is a big SOFTIE with a tough guy exterior). 

FL bro always the annoying bratty bro but you know he loves her. Though he torments her being fake and not a real beauty. When his classmates asked to want to get her info and date her, he put them in their place. LOL.

Of course there are inconsistencies as pointed out by another, former TOMBOY and non high heel wearer was able to totter on high heels without falling flat on her face for the date? Not realistic. Her having only tshirts and no dating outfits, realistic. Her borrowing her sis outfit and the sis not remembering--what? Does not make sense. But cute they had her sis compliment her on wearing it.

Sis works for Cold guy's dad . Wow small world that biker boy's mom goes to FL as a hair dresser and friendly. 

FL lying to Cold Guy she is not going to school locally but Vancouver OOPs Ottowa Canada. LOL that was hilarious. Cold Guy cannot help smiling when thinking of FL and it has to be prompted by Biker Boy asking him point blank if he likes her or not.

Looking forward to my next installment this week tomorrow. YEAH!

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo And Hwang In Yeop Unleash Their Competitive Sides In “True Beauty”

ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo and Hwang In Yeop will have a tense basketball match in the upcoming episode of “True Beauty”!

The romantic comedy is based on a hit webtoon. Lim Ju Gyeong (Moon Ga Young) is a high school student who uses makeup to hide her bare face and overcome her insecurities about her looks. Entering into her life is Lee Su Ho (Cha Eun Woo), a popular student with his own emotional wounds. Together, they learn how to grow through life’s challenges through love.

Spoiler

Previously, Lee Su Ho and Han Seo Joon (Hwang In Yeob) started to be more open about their feelings for Lim Ju Gyeong. Han Seo Joon gave his motorcycle key to Lim Ju Gyeong, saying, “You told me not to ride my motorcycle. I’m only going to listen to you from today.” Lee Su Ho was irked by their closeness, and he stopped her from going with him. Viewers are looking forward to seeing how the love triangle will progress in the future.

On December 23, “True Beauty” released new stills of a basketball match between Lee Su Ho and Han Seo Joon. They’re wearing different jerseys, which indicates they’re on opposite teams, and their eyes are burning with intense desire to win. Neither of them is willing to back down, and it seems like this match will be more than just a simple basketball game.

hwang-in-yeop-cha-eun-woo.jpg

Spoiler

cha-eunwoo.jpg

hwang-in-yeop.jpg

The next episode of “True Beauty” will air on December 23 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1445015wpp/astros-cha-eun-woo-and-hwang-in-yeop-unleash-their-competitive-sides-in-true-beauty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Watch: “True Beauty” Cast Shares What They Learned About Each Other, Describes Their Characters, And More

The cast of “True Beauty” recently participated in an exclusive interview with Rakuten Viki!

Based on a hit webtoon, the romantic comedy tells the story of Lim Ju Gyeong (Moon Ga Young), a high school student who uses makeup to hide her bare face and overcome her insecurities about her looks. Entering into her life is Lee Su Ho (Cha Eun Woo), a popular student with his own emotional wounds. Together, they learn how to grow through life’s challenges through love.

The cast members kicked off the interview by describing their characters. Moon Ga Young introduced Lim Ju Gyeong as a timid girl who once experienced bullying but who also has a bright and energetic side. Next, Cha Eun Woo described Lee Su Ho as a cold and handsome guy who’s full of unexpected surprises.

Hwang In Yeob said of his character Han Seo Jun, “He looks like an untamable rebel, but he has a surprisingly warm heart that makes it impossible to hate him.” Finally, Park Yoo Na said that Kang Su Jin was the previous “goddess” of the high school who hides her secrets behind a cool exterior.

Hwang-In-Yeob-Moon-Ga-Young-Cha-Eun-Woo-

When asked what to look forward to in the drama, Cha Eun Woo mentioned the various genres present within the drama such as school life, sports, melodrama, and horror.

The cast then shared things that they learned about each other while filming, such as how Hwang In Yeob has a comedic side and how Park Yoo Na is good at action scenes. Moon Ga Young also complimented Cha Eun Woo on his powers of concentration. Sounding disappointed, Cha Eun Woo turned to her and asked, “Is that it?” Moon Ga Young then continued to explain that since they shared a lot of scenes together, she saw how easily he became immersed in his character.

Hwang-In-Yeob-Moon-Ga-Young-Cha-Eun-Woo-

The cast wrapped up the interview with a special shoutout to Viki viewers, asking them to keep watching “True Beauty” until the end!

“True Beauty” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1445062wpp/watch-true-beauty-cast-shares-what-they-learned-about-each-other-describes-their-characters-and-more

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

I think seojun in drama more annoying than in webtoon (since he dating with jungkyung while suho ask him to protect her and he also know suho's feeling toward jungkyung). But in drama,  he really such a pain. I like in yeol in 18 again, but I really don't his character in here :angry:

Why he always say the same thing?  He always act like he's the only one that sad and destroyed due to seyong's death :unamused:

• Like 1

here I am again with another currently airing drama stretching my patience to its limits every week. And just when I thought I'd outgrown watching high school dramas -- True Beauty came. Those Diggle compilations will really get to you even if you don't understand the entire thingg. 

So . . . my fave scene so far was when Su ho candidly said "just don't spit the food out of your nose this time" (or something like this) when they were having their rooftop date/ garbage disposal. I just found that too cute since it's an exclusive moment shared by him and Ju Gyeong sans make-up and it's being casually tossed into a normal daily conversation with the all dolled-up Ju Gyeong. Let's have more non-judgmental Su-ho-like beings in this world pleasee.

but OHMY tonight's ep was just -- are we really just in ep5?? I'm not a fan of the webtoon so I don't really know how the story will pan out but I like the pacing. Of course, there's a lot more that's going to happen but what will they be?? A lot of loose ends in the previous 4 eps were coming around already and the show's letting loose new ones tooo AAAAH.

Tonight's highlight for me (and is probably my most fave scene out of the heart-fluttering moments in ep5) was when Ju Gyeong ran with the jacket to the rooftop . I know I can't count on Su ho at that point to enlighten her but your girl got enlightened on her own and went to the most likely place that he'd be. WAY TO GO!!! 

PS. would it benefit me if I read the webtoon as well especially while waiting for the next eps??

• Like 1

I cried today. I swear, I cried. I felt the pain of Suho & Cha Eunwoo did great in portraying him. Give him more huge LJK. The boy needs it. In his dark life, only a bright spark like LJK can fill the void. I hope we see Suho & Seojun being friends again but today, I just want to hug Suho

• Like 2

So the girl Ju Gyung helped was in fact Seo Joon's sis. Who knows? This might change his perception of her and try to win her for real (I hope so) We get to see a more vulnerable side to Su Ho as he continues to grieve over Se Yeon.. Well at least now Ju Gyung knows it was Su Ho that saved her back in ep. 01. 

Ugh the bullying OMG.  

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, junejungki said:

Not sure if anyone notice it. But Han Seo Jun features almost similar to Lee Joon Gi. Although I must say JoonGi has more sharp and prominent features. 

So someone made a video of "children of main characters".  They crossed IU & Lee Jun Ki and came out with Hwang In Yeob.  It was pretty uncanny because he is LJK with IU's cheeks.  He brings so much to the character of Han SeoJun --- especially the comedy.  

I know what I'm about to complain about is the exact same gimmick that makes me such a kdrama addict enthusiast,  But ... how are they gonna wow us with Suho

Spoiler

1. Buying her Strawberry Milk
  2. Hugging her    letting her smell his "new detergent" at the park
  3. telling she's pretty without make-up
  4. Inform Seojun to back off cuz he likes Jugyeong

And then!?!?!  After Jugyeong courageously asks him out ... Suho was "just pitying her" this whole time. And then she has to ugly cry her way down the hall wasting a perfectly cute pig costume moment.

Edited by Fifi Lynt
  • Like 1
On 12/18/2020 at 9:37 PM, kehrite said:

I'm over the whole "cold mean boy who's unkind to people BUT WAIT he has a sad backstory!" trope.

I said this last week and it's relevant yet again! I wasn’t really sold on Suho ever since that girl confessed her crush and he literally slapped the gift out of her hands, and now my dislike is solidifying. I feel sympathy for his pain and trauma, but there’s a big difference between being cold versus being downright cruel and deliberately hurtful like he was to Ju-gyeong in the locker room. And she’s supposed to magically see through it and rush to comfort him? It just didn't feel right to me. I predict intense second lead syndrome for me with this drama.

Anyway, the CLOY motorcycle moment was super funny! And I haven't seen KTEM but I got the reference anyway. I think that's three popular dramas referenced so far, I hope they do more!

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I am confused by the fact there is talk on the novel and series admittingly, but that doesnt bother me thou.  What this drama reminds me of plot line wise is "School 2017" the boys really disliked each other over their friends death for different reasons.  One resented his father for using his influence to hide his sons involvement the other his guilt over not being there for him before he died and thinking he hid behind his father.

This one is similar from my research so far, the boys both loved their friend and are grieving for the loss but for different reasons.  But they are both misunderstanding the situation.

I hope at the end she ends up with CEW character as that is where the chemistry is and bad boy also appears to be aware of it.....

• Like 3

Personally I thought the pacing of the episode was well done. The last sequence from JG realizing who the man was on the rooftop, to her running up to the same rooftop knowing he'd be there was great. IMO, the trauma SH has is better presented in the drama, and JG is a lot more clever and understanding too (sometimes in the webtoon it felt like she didn't catch on to things quicker when she should have).

Having said that, trauma and survivor's guilt are very real, and can be a damaging thing that I think they're tackling on quite well in SH. SH already feels terrible for his friend dying, but by adding SJ (as much as I adore him as well) to push him to consistently feel guilty does not do well for a person's mental health. Keep in mind SH does not have anyone to confide in. He lives alone. He has no family.

I love both SH & SJ very much. And IMO I think they are both dealing with the death of a loved one realistically. I'm curious why SH is getting criticized strongly but SJ is not, when he is incessantly letting SH know he doesn't deserve happiness, or worse, that he's a murderer—when both are just not true. Both characters are great IMO. From their individual characteristics, to how they're dealing with trauma, to their dynamic. CEW & HIY sizzle on the screen when they're together. I love the tension.

Just my two cents.

I'll end this post with this cute BTS from today's episode! :)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, kehrite said:

I said this last week and it's relevant yet again! I wasn’t really sold on Suho ever since that girl confessed her crush and he literally slapped the gift out of her hands, and now my dislike is solidifying. I feel sympathy for his pain and trauma, but there’s a big difference between being cold versus being downright cruel and deliberately hurtful like he was to Ju-gyeong in the locker room. And she’s supposed to magically see through it and rush to comfort him? It just didn't feel right to me. I predict intense second lead syndrome for me with this drama.

Anyway, the CLOY motorcycle moment was super funny! And I haven't seen KTEM but I got the reference anyway. I think that's three popular dramas referenced so far, I hope they do more!

And you have no opinion about Seojun calling Suho murderer, blackmailing him, indirectly pushing him to die & be unhappy. Using LJK just to spite? Anyway, I feel Suho is much better thn Seojun & in this episode, my love for Suho intensifies & for Seojun, I feel so much dislike. I was hoping for Suho & Seojun to reconcile but this is too much. Also, as a girl, I would hate someone continuosly shoving his face on my face like Seojun. For, embarassing her in public by saying he listens just to her, by giving her keys continuously when she is saying not to, by parking his bike in front of her home. Can once a male respect when a girl says no? Suho was rude which was bad. I don't agree with that even though he was taunted & blackmailed by Seojun & he just wanted to push her so that Seojun doesn't bother him but what reason Seojun had besides his revenge to make ljk so miserable in school? God! I felt bad how embarassed she was

2 hours ago, kate-kane said:

Personally I thought the pacing of the episode was well done. The last sequence from JG realizing who the man was on the rooftop, to her running up to the same rooftop knowing he'd be there was great. IMO, the trauma SH has is better presented in the drama, and JG is a lot more clever and understanding too (sometimes in the webtoon it felt like she didn't catch on to things quicker when she should have).

Having said that, trauma and survivor's guilt are very real, and can be a damaging thing that I think they're tackling on quite well in SH. SH already feels terrible for his friend dying, but by adding SJ (as much as I adore him as well) to push him to consistently feel guilty does not do well for a person's mental health. Keep in mind SH does not have anyone to confide in. He lives alone. He has no family.

I love both SH & SJ very much. And IMO I think they are both dealing with the death of a loved one realistically. I'm curious why SH is getting criticized strongly but SJ is not, when he is incessantly letting SH know he doesn't deserve happiness, or worse, that he's a murderer—when both are just not true. Both characters are great IMO. From their individual characteristics, to how they're dealing with trauma, to their dynamic. CEW & HIY sizzle on the screen when they're together. I love the tension.

Just my two cents.

I'll end this post with this cute BTS from today's episode! :)

I cannot agree with you anymore..I am wondering the same. Why a few people are still after Suho when he is the hurt party as well? Seojun had his mom & sis, his friends to console him after his friend's death but on the other hand, Suho was all alone handling his friend's death, his was a jerk, his mom died & adding to tht his other friend blamed him for death, not listening to his explanation or anything. I mean it's like pushing him to death too. Suho is just cold because of all this. I am surprised the amount burden he has how come has not yet broken down become batshit crazy. I feel for him & I hope he ends up with ljk

• Like 4

Hwang In Yeob Opens Up About Playing His 1st Lead In “True Beauty,” The Mistaken Impression People Often Have Of Him, And More

In a recent interview and pictorial for Cosmopolitan magazine, Hwang In Yeob shared his thoughts on his new drama “True Beauty” and more!

The rising star is currently starring in tvN’s “True Beauty,” a drama adaptation of the hit webtoon of the same name, as the untamable high school rebel Han Seo Jun. The drama marks Hwang In Yeob’s very first time playing a leading role, and the actor has risen to the challenge undaunted.

As he prepared to take on the beloved character, who is incredibly popular among fans of the webtoon, Hwang In Yeob shared that he did everything he could think of to make his portrayal of Han Seo Jun as true to the original as possible.

“I plan to do everything I can to show viewers the most Seo Jun-esque performance I can,” explained Hwang In Yeob. “I’d never once ridden a motorcycle in my life before I started acting as Seo Jun, but I even got a license [to prepare for the role], and I went to action school on my own so that I could film the action scenes [better].”

“I thought I needed to do those things in order to more fully satisfy the people who were looking forward to the drama because they liked the character of Seo Jun in the original webtoon,” he continued, expressing his deep fondness for the character and his respect for Han Seo Jun’s fans. “It’s nice for me to personally feel satisfied, but I think what’s most important is satisfying everyone. That’s why I thought it was clearly necessary for me to make these kinds of efforts, and that’s how much I personally care about the character of Han Seo Jun.”

Hwang-In-Yeob-2.jpg

In “True Beauty,” Han Seo Jun looks like a cold-hearted bad boy on the outside, but he turns out to have a surprisingly warm heart on the inside. In his real life, Hwang In Yeob has also faced the hurdle of people making false assumptions about his personality based on his looks.

“The shape of my eyes often causes other people to mistakenly assume I have a cold personality,” he said, “but I look entirely different when I smile. And to be honest, I smile a lot and joke around a lot in real life.”

Hwang In Yeob went on to share, “When I was younger, I was very introverted and wasn’t good at expressing my emotions properly, which would sometimes lead to misunderstandings. But as I started working as an actor, I gradually began to realize that it’s not difficult to reveal myself to others. So now I make an effort to honestly express myself.”

As for his thoughts on playing a high school student at the age of 30 (by Korean reckoning), Hwang In Yeob remarked, “I’m wearing a school uniform again for the first time in in nearly 10 years. When will I be able to have this kind of experience again? I could feel pressure about my age, but since [the director] trusted me and gave me this role, I’m having fun with it. I’m getting more and more used to seeing myself acting in a uniform.”

Hwang-In-Yeob-3.jpg

In spite of his demanding filming schedule, Hwang In Yeob humbly shared that his gratitude at having been given such an opportunity is more than enough to keep him energized.

“Even if I’m not getting enough sleep, just being able to feel tired while doing the work I want to do is such a happy blessing,” said the actor. “I used to turn off my alarm as soon as it rang, but these days, it’s really easy for me to get up in the morning. I’m so happy right now, in this very moment, that I hardly even feel it when I’m tired.”

Hwang In Yeob added, “I debuted a bit a late, but now I’ve ended up being able to do the acting work that I wanted to do, so I should work even harder at it. Each and every moment is extremely precious to me right now.”

Finally, when asked what kind of actor he hoped to become in the future, Hwang In Yeob replied, “An actor that people look forward to. Like when I saw previews for dramas or movies with my parents and said, ‘So-and-so is in this. Let’s watch this no matter what.’ If I could become an actor like that, whom people look forward to and whose acting people know they can trust, I don’t think there’s anything that could make me happier. I hope there’ll be a moment when people say, ‘I hear Hwang In Yeob is in this. I’m looking forward to it.'”

Spoiler

Hwang-In-Yeob-4.jpg

Watch Hwang In Yeob in “True Beauty” below!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1445195wpp/hwang-in-yeob-opens-up-about-playing-his-1st-lead-in-true-beauty-the-mistaken-impression-people-often-have-of-him-and-more

56 minutes ago, Shine2111 said:

I cannot agree with you anymore..I am wondering the same. Why a few people are still after Suho when he is the hurt party as well? Seojun had his mom & sis, his friends to console him after his friend's death but on the other hand, Suho was all alone handling his friend's death, his was a jerk, his mom died & adding to tht his other friend blamed him for death, not listening to his explanation or anything. I mean it's like pushing him to death too. Suho is just cold because of all this. I am surprised the amount burden he has how come has not yet broken down become batshit crazy. I feel for him & I hope he ends up with ljk

Exactly. Both are hurting in different ways. I just think that if we're going to criticize one character, we should be aware of the other as well, and ask why these characters are reacting as such. To be honest both SH and SJ are quite similar in a way—they are both self-destructing as an outcome to Se-yeon's death. The difference is that, like we've said, SH is literally alone. He does not have the sun to look forward to, he doesn't have anyone to even temporarily pull him out of the darkness (until he meets JG that is). Whereas, SJ does. SH had no one that he could talk to about his friend's death, he has been suffering for about a year all by himself. SJ has his (great!) friends to lean on. SH has no friends, LOL.

I like both characters very much, and they are both similar yet different in a few ways. I really appreciate that.

I also think since we're talking about tropes, both characters are still very trope-y IMO. I think that bringing this up is kind of moot tbh.

• Like 4
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2020/2021] True Beauty, 여신강림