[Drama 2020/2021] True Beauty, 여신강림

0ly40

So the girl Ju Gyung helped was in fact Seo Joon's sis. Who knows? This might change his perception of her and try to win her for real (I hope so) We get to see a more vulnerable side to Su Ho as he continues to grieve over Se Yeon.. Well at least now Ju Gyung knows it was Su Ho that saved her back in ep. 01. 

Ugh the bullying OMG.  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, junejungki said:

Not sure if anyone notice it. But Han Seo Jun features almost similar to Lee Joon Gi. Although I must say JoonGi has more sharp and prominent features. 

So someone made a video of "children of main characters".  They crossed IU & Lee Jun Ki and came out with Hwang In Yeob.  It was pretty uncanny because he is LJK with IU's cheeks.  He brings so much to the character of Han SeoJun --- especially the comedy.  

I know what I'm about to complain about is the exact same gimmick that makes me such a kdrama addict enthusiast,  But ... how are they gonna wow us with Suho

Spoiler

1. Buying her Strawberry Milk
  2. Hugging her    letting her smell his "new detergent" at the park
  3. telling she's pretty without make-up
  4. Inform Seojun to back off cuz he likes Jugyeong

And then!?!?!  After Jugyeong courageously asks him out ... Suho was "just pitying her" this whole time. And then she has to ugly cry her way down the hall wasting a perfectly cute pig costume moment.

Edited by Fifi Lynt
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 9:37 PM, kehrite said:

I'm over the whole "cold mean boy who's unkind to people BUT WAIT he has a sad backstory!" trope.

I said this last week and it's relevant yet again! I wasn’t really sold on Suho ever since that girl confessed her crush and he literally slapped the gift out of her hands, and now my dislike is solidifying. I feel sympathy for his pain and trauma, but there’s a big difference between being cold versus being downright cruel and deliberately hurtful like he was to Ju-gyeong in the locker room. And she’s supposed to magically see through it and rush to comfort him? It just didn't feel right to me. I predict intense second lead syndrome for me with this drama.

Anyway, the CLOY motorcycle moment was super funny! And I haven't seen KTEM but I got the reference anyway. I think that's three popular dramas referenced so far, I hope they do more!

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I am confused by the fact there is talk on the novel and series admittingly, but that doesnt bother me thou.  What this drama reminds me of plot line wise is "School 2017" the boys really disliked each other over their friends death for different reasons.  One resented his father for using his influence to hide his sons involvement the other his guilt over not being there for him before he died and thinking he hid behind his father.

This one is similar from my research so far, the boys both loved their friend and are grieving for the loss but for different reasons.  But they are both misunderstanding the situation.

I hope at the end she ends up with CEW character as that is where the chemistry is and bad boy also appears to be aware of it.....

• Like 3

Personally I thought the pacing of the episode was well done. The last sequence from JG realizing who the man was on the rooftop, to her running up to the same rooftop knowing he'd be there was great. IMO, the trauma SH has is better presented in the drama, and JG is a lot more clever and understanding too (sometimes in the webtoon it felt like she didn't catch on to things quicker when she should have).

Having said that, trauma and survivor's guilt are very real, and can be a damaging thing that I think they're tackling on quite well in SH. SH already feels terrible for his friend dying, but by adding SJ (as much as I adore him as well) to push him to consistently feel guilty does not do well for a person's mental health. Keep in mind SH does not have anyone to confide in. He lives alone. He has no family.

I love both SH & SJ very much. And IMO I think they are both dealing with the death of a loved one realistically. I'm curious why SH is getting criticized strongly but SJ is not, when he is incessantly letting SH know he doesn't deserve happiness, or worse, that he's a murderer—when both are just not true. Both characters are great IMO. From their individual characteristics, to how they're dealing with trauma, to their dynamic. CEW & HIY sizzle on the screen when they're together. I love the tension.

Just my two cents.

I'll end this post with this cute BTS from today's episode! :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kehrite said:

I said this last week and it's relevant yet again! I wasn’t really sold on Suho ever since that girl confessed her crush and he literally slapped the gift out of her hands, and now my dislike is solidifying. I feel sympathy for his pain and trauma, but there’s a big difference between being cold versus being downright cruel and deliberately hurtful like he was to Ju-gyeong in the locker room. And she’s supposed to magically see through it and rush to comfort him? It just didn't feel right to me. I predict intense second lead syndrome for me with this drama.

Anyway, the CLOY motorcycle moment was super funny! And I haven't seen KTEM but I got the reference anyway. I think that's three popular dramas referenced so far, I hope they do more!

And you have no opinion about Seojun calling Suho murderer, blackmailing him, indirectly pushing him to die & be unhappy. Using LJK just to spite? Anyway, I feel Suho is much better thn Seojun & in this episode, my love for Suho intensifies & for Seojun, I feel so much dislike. I was hoping for Suho & Seojun to reconcile but this is too much. Also, as a girl, I would hate someone continuosly shoving his face on my face like Seojun. For, embarassing her in public by saying he listens just to her, by giving her keys continuously when she is saying not to, by parking his bike in front of her home. Can once a male respect when a girl says no? Suho was rude which was bad. I don't agree with that even though he was taunted & blackmailed by Seojun & he just wanted to push her so that Seojun doesn't bother him but what reason Seojun had besides his revenge to make ljk so miserable in school? God! I felt bad how embarassed she was

2 hours ago, kate-kane said:

Personally I thought the pacing of the episode was well done. The last sequence from JG realizing who the man was on the rooftop, to her running up to the same rooftop knowing he'd be there was great. IMO, the trauma SH has is better presented in the drama, and JG is a lot more clever and understanding too (sometimes in the webtoon it felt like she didn't catch on to things quicker when she should have).

Having said that, trauma and survivor's guilt are very real, and can be a damaging thing that I think they're tackling on quite well in SH. SH already feels terrible for his friend dying, but by adding SJ (as much as I adore him as well) to push him to consistently feel guilty does not do well for a person's mental health. Keep in mind SH does not have anyone to confide in. He lives alone. He has no family.

I love both SH & SJ very much. And IMO I think they are both dealing with the death of a loved one realistically. I'm curious why SH is getting criticized strongly but SJ is not, when he is incessantly letting SH know he doesn't deserve happiness, or worse, that he's a murderer—when both are just not true. Both characters are great IMO. From their individual characteristics, to how they're dealing with trauma, to their dynamic. CEW & HIY sizzle on the screen when they're together. I love the tension.

Just my two cents.

I'll end this post with this cute BTS from today's episode! :)

I cannot agree with you anymore..I am wondering the same. Why a few people are still after Suho when he is the hurt party as well? Seojun had his mom & sis, his friends to console him after his friend's death but on the other hand, Suho was all alone handling his friend's death, his was a jerk, his mom died & adding to tht his other friend blamed him for death, not listening to his explanation or anything. I mean it's like pushing him to death too. Suho is just cold because of all this. I am surprised the amount burden he has how come has not yet broken down become batshit crazy. I feel for him & I hope he ends up with ljk

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Shine2111 said:

I cannot agree with you anymore..I am wondering the same. Why a few people are still after Suho when he is the hurt party as well? Seojun had his mom & sis, his friends to console him after his friend's death but on the other hand, Suho was all alone handling his friend's death, his was a jerk, his mom died & adding to tht his other friend blamed him for death, not listening to his explanation or anything. I mean it's like pushing him to death too. Suho is just cold because of all this. I am surprised the amount burden he has how come has not yet broken down become batshit crazy. I feel for him & I hope he ends up with ljk

Exactly. Both are hurting in different ways. I just think that if we're going to criticize one character, we should be aware of the other as well, and ask why these characters are reacting as such. To be honest both SH and SJ are quite similar in a way—they are both self-destructing as an outcome to Se-yeon's death. The difference is that, like we've said, SH is literally alone. He does not have the sun to look forward to, he doesn't have anyone to even temporarily pull him out of the darkness (until he meets JG that is). Whereas, SJ does. SH had no one that he could talk to about his friend's death, he has been suffering for about a year all by himself. SJ has his (great!) friends to lean on. SH has no friends, LOL.

I like both characters very much, and they are both similar yet different in a few ways. I really appreciate that.

I also think since we're talking about tropes, both characters are still very trope-y IMO. I think that bringing this up is kind of moot tbh.

• Like 4

@kate-kane @Shine2111 @kehrite Yep. We can't help but sympathize with both SH and SJ. They both lost a friend and seem to be dealing with their grief in their own ways. That said, my sympathy for SJ's grief doesn't stop me from shaking my head at his antics: (1) his words and actions against SH and (2) his decision to go after JK because of SH's interest in her. 

I love the show's treatment of SH and his anguish over the death of their friend. I must say CEW has me convinced and had me tearing up a little bit during his rooftop scene.

Where are the adults and community support, really? I know SH is all alone, which is terrible enough as it is. Add his trauma to that and it makes it 10 times worse, and no one, teachers or whoever else, seems to care. :bawling:  The adults have failed SH and SJ on the death of their friend, not to mention on the extreme bullying of the students. 

In my mind, I am giving virtual hugs to SH, JK, SJ, and the other kids in pain.

• Like 2

That brawl at the karaoke toward end of ep. 06 was like The Avengers or something LoL!:Pandabulous: BTW Soo Jin and Hee Gyung are total girl crushes ha-ha. Although I feel sad for Soo Jin as she has an abusive dad, while poor Seo Joon revealing more than necessary to Ju Gyung oh boy.:lol::joy: But honestly it was a treat for me eheheh.:heart2beat:

And yup my heart already breaks for Seo Joon because he knows Ju Gyung likes Su Ho all those looks he gives her aish..     

• Like 1

I watched this today, just started and the first episode where they treated her so appallingly bad and made fun of her so badly that she wanted to kill herself is such a bad and horrible aspect of our world currently. While it might be an exaggeration it is what can happen and probably happens in varying degrees daily. This is partly due to our idea of beauty that is screwed up and social media is just taking it to insane heights.

I remember growing up in the 60's and being dark and being made fun of in a school in Asia you know being fair is everything, I cannot even fathom how much worse it would have been had there been phones to share my misery. I was used to it since my own relatives (uncles and aunties) gave me a nasty nickname 'blackie' but I took it in stride and never ever considered myself as pretty or anything. Thankfully I was extremely good in school and went to university on a scholarship.

Her pain really resonated and I was wondering what I would have done in her place having faced such a public humiliation. I acted out in school and became a huge bully because I wanted to hit everyone that used look at me the wrong way. Eventually I made friends and my life became a lot better. Nevertheless that damage the loss of self esteem has caused me many problems. In spite of every academic success I was always plagued my doubt and lack of self worth.

Just wanted to share this and also to say families should never make fun of their relatives it leaves a mark.

• Like 5

Epi 5 Review.

Fun Parts.

Unnie Again Rocks.They need to show more of her.

Tiny Ri Jyeong Hyok promising The Ghost on Bike and again Putting K drama Ideas into IJG head is Epic.

She ends up Imagining Suho who was once Baby Gu Jun Pyo into King LEE Gon and Herself into Tae Eul riding on Maximus while Lee Gon Suho turns into a Pig. Wowoe...

I lovedd how they did parody of CLOY and TKEM here. haha.I wish they had one with Seojoon as well.

She keeps on rejecting Seojoons Grand Gestures.The guy gave you the Key to his Bike.Men LOVE their Gadgets more than the Wife dont you know that Lol.That is big in itself.

Suho Does not know how to talk, He talks about Detergent which makes IJG heart flutter Hahaha.Their interactions were so MushyMushy , it made me smile Lol.

The Sad Parts.

Noble Idiocy 101 , Seojoon and SUHO have communication Cracks, How will that be Solved? Seojoon basically guilt tripped Suho and Suho being an overthibker and Traumatized Pitied IJG, what was Her fault in that?I sniffed while she cried.Nice Scene.

I think Seojoon did understand his quarrel with Suho led to IJG BEING sad which was wrong.

Suho gives me vibes to just Cuddle Him.

Seojoon is Hillarious and needs to LISTEN to people.

And again as I say SUHO NEEDS TO TALK MORE!!

The Climax scene was good but fell hugely flat during Rooftop scene, CEW was very robotic during that enactment , it did not have the effect required.

Seojoon better Buckle up, the Ball is 90% in Suhos Court.The scriptwriters topped it off with Guilt Trip Cherry. 

22 hours ago, Shine2111 said:

And you have no opinion about Seojun calling Suho murderer, blackmailing him, indirectly pushing him to die & be unhappy. Using LJK just to spite?

While it goes without saying that such behavior is wrong, the two boys have deep existing conflict between each other. Ju-gyeong has nothing whatsoever to do with it, so for me at least, Suho's cruelty toward her in the locker room was all the more deliberate, and hurtful to watch her go through. And personally, I never got the feeling Seojun is using her, that's mainly Suho's interpretation - to me it's been pretty clear Seojun genuinely liked her from the start, even though he's just now realizing it consciously. He may enjoy needling Suho about it, as he enjoys needling Suho in general, but his attention toward her is not "just," or even primarily, to spite him. Maybe I'd like Suho more if Cha Eun-Woo was a better actor... he's not a bad actor per-se, he's fine with overt displays of emotion but not so much with subtle details. To me Suho often just comes across as blank and disinterested. Whereas Hwang In-Yeop is giving a more nuanced and skilled performance - I can understand Seojun's emotions and thought processes better, he feels more layered and has more screen presence. But eh, we all have our opinions!

Anyway, episode 6 was very funny! Seojun's underwear scene was absolute gold, the shift from over-the-top dancing to nonchalant to humiliated was great. I do wish Suho would've apologized properly when Ju-gyeong cried about how much his words hurt her; maybe he will eventually.  

• Like 1

While I get some ppl have immense hate for Cha Eunwoo & his acting but be is portraying Lee Suho to the T. Kmedia, Knetizen who used to bash him are praising his acting everywhere. His rooftop scene is the highest viewed video on Naver with 11M+ & those views are coming from general public, not fans. Besides, CEW acting even as a character I feel more for Lee Suho. I am disliking Seojun in drama so far. I hope he stops putting blame on Suho & it's a fact that it was Seojun who led to that locker room scene. A person who is already has trauma, telling him you killed your friend, you don't have right to be happy, what that person will do? He will think that the other person is right & will stay away from the person who makes him happy. If you guys get time from bashing CEW, do check naver articles where ppl are praising his acting. In the past, kmedia used to write bad articles about Eunwoo's acting, but not anymore.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shine2111 said:

While I get some ppl have immense hate for Cha Eunwoo & his acting but be is portraying Lee Suho to the T. Kmedia, Knetizen who used to bash him are praising his acting everywhere. His rooftop scene is the highest viewed video on Naver with 11M+ & those views are coming from general public, not fans. Besides, CEW acting even as a character I feel more for Lee Suho. I am disliking Seojun in drama so far. I hope he stops putting blame on Suho & it's a fact that it was Seojun who led to that locker room scene. A person who is already has trauma, telling him you killed your friend, you don't have right to be happy, what that person will do? He will think that the other person is right & will stay away from the person who makes him happy. If you guys get time from bashing CEW, do check naver articles where ppl are praising his acting. In the past, kmedia used to write bad articles about Eunwoo's acting, but not anymore.

To Cha Eunwoo's defence, this is my first time seeing this actor and i didn't know there was anything bad about his acting until i read some netizen comments. I guess these views are and will always be subjective. there are wildly popular actors/actresses out there who can't act but yet they are getting all kinds of recognition from people.  I read the webtoon and Lee Suho only had 1 expression 90% (if not 99%) of the time, so i'm really happy to see this drama version of Lee Suho and how the character has been portrayed. 

I agree on your views on Seojun, i really dislike him in the drama so far and i'm disliking him more and more with each episode. No true friend would guilt trap his friend and make him believe that he was a murderer. In fact, no one with a conscience would do something like that? let's see how this plays out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SCSfanz said:

To Cha Eunwoo's defence, this is my first time seeing this actor and i didn't know there was anything bad about his acting until i read some netizen comments. I guess these views are and will always be subjective. there are wildly popular actors/actresses out there who can't act but yet they are getting all kinds of recognition from people.  I read the webtoon and Lee Suho only had 1 expression 90% (if not 99%) of the time, so i'm really happy to see this drama version of Lee Suho and how the character has been portrayed. 

I agree on your views on Seojun, i really dislike him in the drama so far and i'm disliking him more and more with each episode. No true friend would guilt trap his friend and make him believe that he was a murderer. In fact, no one with a conscience would do something like that? let's see how this plays out. 

I am waiting for Suho & Seojun to patch up. I have read webtoon. The reason I am watching this drama is because I love Lee Suho & I am happy how Cha Eunwoo is portraying him so far. I hope they don't make Seojun evil. 

Also, what I find surprising how a few are blaming Suho for being mean to LJK, which even I agree Suho should not be cruel coz LJK has her own issue but why people cannot see what Seojun is doing to Suho is even worst. I know Seojun is hurt but he knows Suho is all by himself, blaming him for the friend's death, indirectly telling him die & live an unhappy life. In episode 6, we saw Suho again having panic attack & the anger in last scene shows his bottled up emotions. I just want to hug him. He never had anyone, his friend died & one hates him & he got LJK & he was told to stay unhappy & he is alone again. For me, character depth is much more. This is a layered character & I feel bad for such character & relate to them. They end up winning my heart more.

• Like 5

Just saw Episode 5.

I had hoped that LJK would intervene with the bullying of the young girl, since it was the exact replica of her ordeal, plus they even look similar (bad skin, bad eyebrows). It turned out to be SHJ's sister.  The funny thing is, despite her transformation (the makeup), she is recognisable to him, though her classmates are - WHO DAT GIRL? SHJ doesn't even comment on her new appearance, when in this kdrama '(and webtoon I'm assuming), a simple eyebrow and makeup job can make a person appear as a different person. It's funny that LJK's brother fell for the girl at first sight, considering of his previous comments. How comical. 

Ahhh.. LSH is being mean to LJK because of HSJ. Trying to protect her, ladi la dal. I really liked his awkward persona and the facts he spouted off to overplay his nervousness, breaking his cold persona. Too bad he reverts due to HSJ's bullying.  I haven't seen Episode 6 yet, but I have not seen LSH being mean towards HSJ, except taking his bike away. Apart frm that, he went out of his way to ignore HSJ's antics and so on. HSJ has all the support, while LSH is on his own, he apparently also lives alone. 

And I really, really hate HSJ for perpetuating the lie that LSH "killed" his friend. Is this happening in the webtoon as well? Basically LSH isolates himself, apart from the few times he reached out to LJK. That's not healthy.