[Drama 2020/2021] True Beauty, 여신강림

0ly40

7 hours ago, hyall said:

Someone mentioned how unrealistic this show was having all these guys fighting over her or showing interest. I think that that is the whole point. When you have a story and this is a story not a docudrama about a girl who others consider ugly being the object of interest of these great looking guys it is a fantasy and a dream. Often when I was young I used to fantasise after reading some romance novel about being the subject of interest of some good looking guy I knew in real life. I was dreaming and when we watch these shows there is a part of us that want this girl to be the object of admiration but in the end we want the guy who really knows her warts and all to be the one.

However don't forget Su Ho knows exactly how she looks underneath the makeup. He is attracted to her character, the baseball guy was only interested in her looks. Seo Jin is also interested in her character too.

I agree...i haven’t read the webtoon so I’m watching it as a first timer. While I like Seo Jin, I’m team Su Ho all the way because he’s been there for her since the beginning. He knows her secret and her interest in comics. So far in the story, we haven’t been introduced to anything to make it why Seo Jin should be with her other than the fact that he started to like her because Su Ho liked her. Plus she has no interest in Seo Jin anyway. In fact, it starting to be kind of annoying when he gets upset at her...like why? She doesn’t like you that way, why are you upset at her? 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

OMG...ep 9 totally cracked me up! 
:hahah!:

FL’s dad provides good comic relief. 

love the leads in this show, and as some have mentioned, 2ML is a spitting image of Lee Joon Ki! Also, I can’t believe that he’s 30. I’ll have some of what he’s eating.

4 hours ago, piluche said:

I agree...i haven’t read the webtoon so I’m watching it as a first timer. While I like Seo Jin, I’m team Su Ho all the way because he’s been there for her since the beginning. He knows her secret and her interest in comics. So far in the story, we haven’t been introduced to anything to make it why Seo Jin should be with her other than the fact that he started to like her because Su Ho liked her. Plus she has no interest in Seo Jin anyway. In fact, it starting to be kind of annoying when he gets upset at her...like why? She doesn’t like you that way, why are you upset at her? 

I share your views but Seo Jun could be acting that way cos he’s frustrated - at the one-sidedness of his affections, at how she doesn’t know and tells him what she feels for another, at the fact that the other person is Soo Ho with whom he has a love-hate r/s? He’s in a bit of a bind and it’s quite relatable.

I don’t see why he is holding back on the chase though...perhaps cos he knows he’s lost before he’s begun. I can’t recall if he’s seen her bare face...like Soo Ho has at her worst. Think 2ML showed his internal struggles pretty well. 

• Like 2

Oh dear is Soo Jin going the route of the webtoon and turn against Ju Gyung!? Like, poor girl has enough on her plate already. Nice to see Seo Joon acting on his feelings, the helping her getting the part time gig and immediately running over the moment he heard she got hurt? Aww~ he's the sweetest and it's too bad he'd be on the losing end as most second male leads do.... :cries:

I was laughing hard when Ju Gyung just fanned herself openly in front of Seo Joon LoL!:joy: And she even dabbed under her arms:scream::lol: she's just so carefree I tell ya! Find it odd her dad fail to recognize her voice when she was at Su Ho's?     

• Like 2

The photoshoot scene stole this episode...

JK looks a little scared because Suho is in love with her.

She is happy, but it seems that everything happened too fast.

I like that she has her goal and that she was looking for a part-time job.

• Like 2

Preview (might be spoiler)

Spoiler

- SooJin with the JK's old friend who the bullies bullied too. 

- SooJin saw JK and SH kissing(?) after JK ask SH if he wants a hug(?)

- SH and SJ became friends again i think... 

I think SJ will be the one telling people that JK is ugly and might seek the bullies' help... Please noo....

56 minutes ago, shazai said:

Preview (might be spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

- SooJin with the JK's old friend who the bullies bullied too. 

- SooJin saw JK and SH kissing(?) after JK ask SH if he wants a hug(?)

- SH and SJ became friends again i think... 

I think SJ will be the one telling people that JK is ugly and might seek the bullies' help... Please noo....

I hope not but you know how these teen dramas are. There aren’t very many episodes left, we still  have a lot of unresolved issues:

1. SJ issue with her father 

2. Seo Joon and Su Ho’s friendship, will they become friends again.

3. Mystery surrounding their friend’s suicide.

4. Older sister and teacher relationship

5. Younger brother and his love interest 

6. Will dad get his money back?

7. Will JK go to beauty school?

8. And of course developement in SH and JK relationship. 

I honestly hope they don’t focus too long on the whole love triangle. We already know they like each other, let’s work in developing their characters and also find out the rest about other characters. I hate it when they rush the story at the end because they run out of time. 

• Like 1

I really dislike characters that have one-sided crushes that do nothing but all a sudden when someone show interest, they immediately have motivation to fight, like why now LoL geez. Yea Su Jin I meant you tsk. 

Ahahah that dumpling wars between Su Ho and Seo Joon! And Ju Gyung's mom made them both say I love you while clipping each other's toe nails LMFAo!! Ju Gyung sure has an overactive imagination I'm surprised she isn't a webtoon artist instead. 

The many chingus  Ju Gyung mentioned during the bus ride with Seo Joon in ep. 10 I lost count:joy: I just love how Seo Joon keep telling her to just break up :Megalol:

There's quite a few scenes that remind me from the webtoon. That preview for ep. 11 oy. 

I have an issue with Su Ho's over possessiveness,  unfortunately most women take it as an indication of love? I'm like are you serious.:tounge_xd:    

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

6 hours ago, piluche said:

I hope not but you know how these teen dramas are. There aren’t very many episodes left, we still  have a lot of unresolved issues:

1. SJ issue with her father 

2. Seo Joon and Su Ho’s friendship, will they become friends again.

3. Mystery surrounding their friend’s suicide.

4. Older sister and teacher relationship

5. Younger brother and his love interest 

6. Will dad get his money back?

7. Will JK go to beauty school?

8. And of course developement in SH and JK relationship. 

I honestly hope they don’t focus too long on the whole love triangle. We already know they like each other, let’s work in developing their characters and also find out the rest about other characters. I hate it when they rush the story at the end because they run out of time. 

Agree with you! I hope they will lessen the love triangle and put more focus on the rest of the issue. I'm glad that suho and jk are dating since the end of ep.8. And seems that they are going back together in ep.11 + reconciliation between suho and sj. So later on we're gonna have the story of jk and the bullies... i think the story is getting better now.

5 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I really dislike characters that have one-sided crushes that do nothing but all a sudden when someone show interest, they immediately have motivation to fight, like why now LoL geez. Yea Su Jin I meant you tsk. 

Ahahah that dumpling wars between Su Ho and Seo Joon! And Ju Gyung's mom made them both say I love you while clipping each other's toe nails LMFAo!! Ju Gyung sure has an overactive imagination I'm surprised she isn't a webtoon artist instead. 

The many chingus  Ju Gyung mentioned during the bus ride with Seo Joon in ep. 10 I lost count:joy: I just love how Seo Joon keep telling her to just break up :Megalol:

There's quite a few scenes that remind me from the webtoon. That preview for ep. 11 oy. 

I have an issue with Su Ho's over possessiveness,  unfortunately most women take it as an indication of love? I'm like are you serious.:tounge_xd:    

I don't get the "Suho's over possessiveness." Like... I mean he is a nice boyfriend for jungkyung. But, he knows that Seojun likes Jungkyung as well, which means... it's normal for suho to get jealous is she gets closed to sj

• Like 3

Hi everyone. I think this is the first time I am posting here but I have been following this drama since EP 1. I did read the webtoon years back but I can barely remember the plot but I do recognize that they change a lot especially the relationships between characters and as far as I remember, the webtoon is in university/college setting. After watching the most recent episodes, for some reason I am concern that the characters are supposed to be 16-17 year old kids. They are literal minors. Living alone with no guardian, visiting each other house unsupervised, manage to get part-time job without parents' consent, adult hyping up when kids were posing in such intimate ways. I am not sure how law works in South Korea, but even though this is adaptation from webtoon and it can be as unrealistic as it possibly can, I couldn't help being lowkey concern about it as a consumer.

On lighter note,

1. I hate the development between Joo Kyung and Soo Jin. I thought Soo Jin would be a great support system for Joo Kyung but now it seems like she's all into separating Joo Kyung and Soo Ho.
  2. I am frustrated with Joo Kyung. While I do get the struggle with her insecurity and inferiority at school, I really can't accept when she keeps trying to keep her relationship with Soo Ho as secret. Especially after Soo Jin told her that she likes Soo Ho. She is uncomfortable about Soo Jin and Soo Ho relationship but can't she understand that it is the same when Soo Ho expressing his dislike when she is with Seo Jun. Plus, she knows that Soo Jin answered Soo Ho's phone but don't she remember that Soo Ho saves her number as Girlfriend, the one she specifically request Soo Ho to do so. The secret is out open now that I hope Joo Kyung-Soo Ho-Soo Jin will solve this triangle quickly because I rather focus on other story than them. 
  3. I love that Soo Ho outright telling Soo Jin that he got girlfriend, clearly drawing that line between them. 
  4. Little shoutout to Hee Kyung unnie, I love her character the most now. While she can be too straight forward at times, I adore watching a character that doesn't beat around the bush. In this mess where everyone having secret crush on everyone else, having her being honest with her intention is really fascinating. And now it seems like she is going into protective mode, I am looking forward for more of her scenes.

A little gift before I end this post, for people who don't know about this, enjoy the ageless Cha Eun Woo and Park Yoo Na. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, airasara said:

Agree with you! I hope they will lessen the love triangle and put more focus on the rest of the issue. I'm glad that suho and jk are dating since the end of ep.8. And seems that they are going back together in ep.11 + reconciliation between suho and sj. So later on we're gonna have the story of jk and the bullies... i think the story is getting better now.

I don't get the "Suho's over possessiveness." Like... I mean he is a nice boyfriend for jungkyung. But, he knows that Seojun likes Jungkyung as well, which means... it's normal for suho to get jealous is she gets closed to sj

Maybe he’s like that because of all the miscommunications between them. She’s not possessive over him yet she’s having all these over dramatic scenarios and then she ignores him yet confides in SJ. I swear, both of them are so slow at catching on to things. Honestly they just need to stop and talk instead of her running away. She has low self confidence so she kept pushing him away and hiding their relationship while he’s straight up about it. 

39 minutes ago, kdramagrandma said:

Hi everyone. I think this is the first time I am posting here but I have been following this drama since EP 1. I did read the webtoon years back but I can barely remember the plot but I do recognize that they change a lot especially the relationships between characters and as far as I remember, the webtoon is in university/college setting. After watching the most recent episodes, for some reason I am concern that the characters are supposed to be 16-17 year old kids. They are literal minors. Living alone with no guardian, visiting each other house unsupervised, manage to get part-time job without parents' consent, adult hyping up when kids were posing in such intimate ways. I am not sure how law works in South Korea, but even though this is adaptation from webtoon and it can be as unrealistic as it possibly can, I couldn't help being lowkey concern about it as a consumer.

On lighter note,

1. I hate the development between Joo Kyung and Soo Jin. I thought Soo Jin would be a great support system for Joo Kyung but now it seems like she's all into separating Joo Kyung and Soo Ho.
  2. I am frustrated with Joo Kyung. While I do get the struggle with her insecurity and inferiority at school, I really can't accept when she keeps trying to keep her relationship with Soo Ho as secret. Especially after Soo Jin told her that she likes Soo Ho. She is uncomfortable about Soo Jin and Soo Ho relationship but can't she understand that it is the same when Soo Ho expressing his dislike when she is with Seo Jun. Plus, she knows that Soo Jin answered Soo Ho's phone but don't she remember that Soo Ho saves her number as Girlfriend, the one she specifically request Soo Ho to do so. The secret is out open now that I hope Joo Kyung-Soo Ho-Soo Jin will solve this triangle quickly because I rather focus on other story than them. 
  3. I love that Soo Ho outright telling Soo Jin that he got girlfriend, clearly drawing that line between them. 
  4. Little shoutout to Hee Kyung unnie, I love her character the most now. While she can be too straight forward at times, I adore watching a character that doesn't beat around the bush. In this mess where everyone having secret crush on everyone else, having her being honest with her intention is really fascinating. And now it seems like she is going into protective mode, I am looking forward for more of her scenes.

A little gift before I end this post, for people who don't know about this, enjoy the ageless Cha Eun Woo and Park Yoo Na. 

Hide contents

spacer.png

I agree with you here. SH is the one acting normal and clearly setting up boundaries with Soo Jin and Seo Jun. It’s JK’s insecurities that is causing a lot of communications, not just with him but with Soo Jin and Seo Jun. She isn’t willing to come right out to tell Soo Jin she’s in a relationship with Soo Ho. Not sure where this is heading as Soo Ho doesn’t have any interest in Soo Jin so it’s just prolonging the miscommunications between them. And JK still doesn’t get it that Seo Jun is into her that everything she does with him gives him some hope. I hope they wrap up this love triangle soon cause I want to see Seo Jun and Soo Ho patch their relationship up. 

• Like 2

Is the series following the webtoon?

I found the webtoon online and started reading.  Honestly, I jumped in the middle and now am confused.  It’s Doesn’t seem parallel with the series.

please correct me if am wrong.:wacko:

@airasara

No, it's not. There's suppose to be trust in relationships. And Su Ho clearly doesn't. I get he's afraid of losing her due to loss of his mom, Se Yeon but it's not healthy for him or Ju Gyung. He's hurting her, she's crying (again) and they just need to talk it out more obviously. Her insecurities aren't helping either. 

The unrealisticness of this drama I tell ya, y'all mean to tell me someone who looks like Su Ho has been a "motae solo" up until now LoL. He just seem so clueless on relationships, girls etc. Like I just can't LoL. And Su Ho's suppose to be a brainiac! As for Ju Gyung, I get she's been an outcast for most of her life and that's a blow to her self esteem but geez can she be any slower on catching onto things? 

Oh I had to add that ridiculous over the top ending scene of ep. 10 where Su Ho floated up in mid air when he was hit by that car was freaking hilarious.:joy::tounge_wink: It was suppose to be a tense, tragic scene but just came off cringey and unintentionally funny?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@kdramagrandma  They are all 18. 

I agree with all of you, and I really like it that this time the writers didn’t go the ambiguity route. I loved it when Ju Gyeong told Seo Jun not once! But twice that she likes Su Ho and that they are dating. But she is still clueless that he likes her. 

Also loved that Su Ho told Soo Jin straight in her face that he has a girlfriend and wanted to tell everyone that they are dating. But, miscommunication does happen and such is the reality of life. Plus, they are only 18 and still learning to navigate real life. So I wouldn’t really put it past them to have such miscommunication issues. Add on Su Ho’s introverted personality plus he keeps everything to himself and Ju Gyeong’s insecurities and low self esteem, it’s just a disaster slowing brewing. But that’s why we all love kdrama isn’t it? :lol: If everything is smooth sailing there won’t be any drama for us to watch lol 

Spoiler

Episode 11’s preview looks like Su Ho and Ju Gyeong will make up, right? Though Soo Jin is definitely going the evil route. Sigh 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mizv said:

Is the series following the webtoon?

I found the webtoon online and started reading.  Honestly, I jumped in the middle and now am confused.  It’s Doesn’t seem parallel with the series.

please correct me if am wrong.:wacko:

Nope, it's different in some ways but for me personally, I enjoy the drama more than the webtoon. 

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@airasara

No, it's not. There's suppose to be trust in relationships. And Su Ho clearly doesn't. I get he's afraid of losing her due to loss of his mom, Se Yeon but it's not healthy for him or Ju Gyung. He's hurting her, she's crying (again) and they just need to talk it out more obviously. Her insecurities aren't helping either. 

The unrealisticness of this drama I tell ya, y'all mean to tell me someone who looks like Su Ho has been a "motae solo" up until now LoL. He just seem so clueless on relationships, girls etc. Like I just can't LoL. And Su Ho's suppose to be a brainiac! As for Ju Gyung, I get she's been an outcast for most of her life and that's a blow to her self esteem but geez can she be any slower on catching onto things? 

Oh I had to add that ridiculous over the top ending scene of ep. 10 where Su Ho floated up in mid air when he was hit by that car was freaking hilarious.:joy::tounge_wink: It was suppose to be a tense, tragic scene but just came off cringey and unintentionally funny?

Yes, there should be trust in relationship, and I think they will show it later as part of suho's & jungkyung's character development. You know, this is a drama and you cannot ask everything to be there in a shot.

And for the last scene... I think the directing is often cringey sometimes... I cant read what the director's concept is..., I mean.. the story is quite good so far, but the directing sometimes make it cringe lol. But that's fine... I think the reason why Suho was left "flying" at the end of ep.10 may be to describe his distraught/ desperation of things that happen in his life. Wanna make it more dramatic but not on point lol. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, airasara said:

Nope, it's different in some ways but for me personally, I enjoy the drama more than the webtoon. 

And for the last scene... I think the directing is often cringey sometimes... I cant read what the director's concept is..., I mean.. the story is quite good so far, but the directing sometimes make it cringe lol. But that's fine... I think the reason why Suho was left "flying" at the end of ep.10 may be to describe his distraught/ desperation of things that happen in his life. Wanna make it more dramatic but not on point lol. 

@airasara I enjoy the drama more too!  I prefer JG with SH :wub: and you are right, the Suho “flying” part was super cringey and over dramatic. So not on point indeed 

• Like 3

At this point, I'm very frustrated with Su jin!! I hope she won't be as horrible as Su jin is in the webtoon. Targeting Ju Gyeong with all the mind games and knowing too well how sincere our FL is with their friendship was just downright mean. Meanwhile, I know I'm team Su ho all the waay, but I really appreciate how Seo jun's there for Ju Gyeong while not overstepping his boundaries. Their friendship is gold, too. 

Spoiler

Now to the last scene of Ep10, aaah Su ho's eyes were just so -- he's so dead inside like I could feel the pain vs the surprise in Seo jun's eyes.

Can I just say that I also saw the actor playing Su ho's father in the Tale of Nokdu and he's just as frustrating here in in True Beauty as he was there. On the bright side, Ju Gyeong's unnie is living up to being our ultimate girl crush!!

I just wish Su ho and Ju Gyeong won't break up. They can fight and have all these misunderstandings but I hope they'll be able to talk it through especially now that more (major) challenges are coming there way. 

I also want to say how much I'm enjoying this show not only because of the leads, but the entire cast. We're having team Su ho x team Seo jun on screen as well.

So far, team Su ho: Ju Gyeong, Ju Gyeong's father, Ju young (but wait 'til he finds out that Seo jun's actually Go woon's brother HAHA) and Tae hoon. AAH I'm happy that Su ho's got Tae hoon. It was a little unexpected but I'm happy he's there. Ep9's ending scene is by far the most hilarious. Ju Gyeong's father's shenanigans are just soo funny. 

while team Seo jun: Ju Gyeong's mother and almost everyone in their class + Seo jun's friends. This guy really has such a solid fan base at school. 

Also, what's the deal with Ju Gyeong's classmate from here prev school - the one she considers her friend but was with the bullies recording the entire time she was bullied?? :( 

Edited by ppalganttalgi
  • Like 2

I am enjoying the OTT scenes in this drama.

I thought I laughed at the hand grabbing the leg scene. But the dragon vs crane scene cracked me up so much I couldn't stop laughing. I also just made some mandu you see and I fold it like Heo Jun. So when I saw Su Ho's pleats I went " oh my forgot to do it this way ; the Korean way. " 

The appalled looks from the Oh family just made me laugh even more. 

The poor stunt actors in this episode. The car accident looked painful. They used real stuntmen right? Bouncing off the car looked so painful.

I am not even bothered to bother shipping. The 2nd ML acts better but I don't like his looks and proportions so no contest there. The male lead is better looking but he did have an absolute expressionless expression after the FL wiped out her dad. Was he supposed to be having a deadpan face in that situation? The FL had a more expressive face. So I am shipping neither male leads. I like the female lead's massively varied acting scenes here.

• Like 1