[Drama 2020/2021] Run On, 런온

0ly40

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5433eeeb70a94504823283e25dfcf373.jpeg?s=

“Run On” has released new stills of Shin Se Kyung and Girls’ Generation’s Sooyoung teasing the transformation of their relationship!

JTBC’s “Run On” stars Im Siwan and Shin Se Kyung and tells the story of people trying to connect with each other in their own languages after having lived in different worlds and at different paces.

Shin Se Kyung plays Oh Mi Joo, an adventurous foreign film translator who says everything she feels without fail. Sooyoung plays Seo Dan Ah, a sports agency CEO who is unbelievably direct. Their powerful personalities inevitably result in them clashing, frequently bickering and butting heads. However, viewers can look forward to seeing how their peculiar relationship turns into them supporting each other.

The two got off to a bad start after Mi Joo was appointed Ki Sun Kyum’s unpaid translator by his father in an attempt to keep an eye on him. However, Mi Joo was given this job without the consultation of agency CEO Seo Dan Ah, leaving her displeased with Mi Joo.

Despite this, it didn’t take long for Dan Ah’s perception of Mi Joo to change. After Dan Ah tells Mi Joo she doesn’t need her, Mi Joo responds, “I’ll be the best out of the workers you have in a week. Following her last job which she was fired from, Mi Joo shows determination and honesty, impressing Dan Ah with her intelligence.

The problem is that Dan Ah is only interested in sensitive aspects of Mi Joo’s life, forcing her to constrain herself when responding. She has learned to only give Dan Ah the responses and reactions she will want to see and hear. More specifically, Dan Ah has flustered Mi Joo with her comments regarding Ki Sun Kyum’s past, unintentionally furthering the love line between Mi Joo and Sun Kyum.

The new stills released ahead of the December 30 broadcast show Mi Joo and Dan Ah bickering once again. Mi Joo is working on her translations in a cafe as usual when Dan Ah’s sudden appearance to chat with Ki Sun Kyum immediately has her rattled.

Credit to the owner

8f8d3c3a020f4d868896202cb001f766.jpeg?s=

Im Siwan And Shin Se Kyung Enclose The Distance Between Them In “Run On”

Spoiler

Previously, things between Ki Sun Kyum and Oh Mi Joo grew tense as misunderstandings accumulated between them. Ki Sun Kyum found out his father paid Oh Mi Joo to be her interpreter, and the episode ended with them gazing coldly at each other.

The newly released stills show a very different atmosphere from how the episode ended before. Ki Sun Kyum and Oh Mi Joo face each other and make heart-fluttering eye contact. They share a heart-to-heart conversation over a warm meal, and the soju will play a key role in melting the tense barrier between them. Viewers are eager to find out if they will be able to resolve the misunderstandings and take one step further in their budding romance.

im-siwan-shin-se-kyung5.jpg

Credit to the owner

Just caught up to episode 4.  Sun Kyum’s character is certainly different.   Hope in this show the romance will have honest interactions.  I really dislike the unnecessary misunderstandings cos they don’t communicate.

enjoying the scenes between Dan Ah and her secretary who is not the typical subservient secretary. 

I finally watched ep 5. It is nice. And warm and I am happy to get some background story.

I finally paid attention to the subs and I don't know how it compares to the previous episodes. There are 2 ways of subbing- the literal translation vs intent behind the lines. If Netflix is like viki sometimes- you get the script. And sometimes the script vs adlibs do not match.

The Netflix is subbing the Amerixan style which has no honorifics which sometimes confuses viewers because the intensity in a line is lost. She is also subbing with intent which meant words were substitute or omitted for maybe flow purposes? It sounds more slick when I read it but I prefer the original lines in Korean.

I mean its ok since you get the subbed episode immediately right? Just that some impact is lost.

Is this what everyone is talking about? Anyway gotta go.

A good 5th episode. Little on the slower side but I guess that is just the tone of the show, anyways the endearing moments between our couple makes up for it Especially loved the last scene. Mi-joo seems so realistic with all her angry banter with Sun Kyum and secretly wanting to bump into him. And how good looking is IM SI WAN and why didn't I know of this before. His visuals are to die for.

@kallen88 @rocher22@ck1Oz

Hello! I am loving this drama too.

I agree with @ck1Oz the translations --depends where you go and the source DOES lose the nuances of relationships I find is crucial as well. But I like you can ignore the subs (at points of course as I am not a native Korean speaker) but I have been watching enough Korean dramas to know the importance of nuances of language. I find that Chinese subs retain the relationships but my Chinese reading skills are not as good as my listening. 

I have not watched ep 6 as I am stuck at work lunch time.

episode 7 preview 

But I am enjoying our OTP.

-ISH is looking good in this drama. I agree he has this maturity not in Misaeng in this drama. I did see him from afar when he came to KCON NY a few years back. He was a special MC for a little bit. Very handsome and I could see him from afar. He is great as the ML and I like his character.

-I find our OTP very out of the ordinary and refreshing. 

A Righteous son of a politician born of privilege wanting to do the right thing to a bullied Hoobae. An interpreter/translator from a tough background who is spunky but also caring too.  An attractive college student (who is is an artist) attracted to a young and beautiful CEO. 

-Loving SooYoung of SNSD in this drama. She was always of my fave of SNSD but not as famous as the others. I love she is in a loving and stable relationship plus she is showing her improving acting chops in this drama. There is more than meets the eye and I like how she cares for our ML.

-Our FL falling for the ML and they are both bound to each other. She represents some things he dislikes as he is used to bad gossip about him and untrue words but he is genuinely a good guy. But he is enthralled by her freshness and words. I loved how he used the movie as excuse to keep her longer. Then she confessed too. Their first KISS (not real one and doesn't count) as he tried fend of the scandal of dating a young actress. I cannot wait for their FIRST real kiss.

Seems like ep 6 will have them moving forward getting to know each other as he is for the first time STRUGGLING and not backed/supported by his rich family. So he decides to work and has to find housing. I found the preview ep 6 interesting how he is was going to FL home and she was like let's go to my place. (HMMMM.)

(At least he can return that outfit he borrowed from them LOL)

Making video (I love these)

Hello. I have just finished watching episode 6. Honestly I thought that the drama would fasten its pace after the end of episode 5, but I was wrong! This drama is really a slow burner after all, and this is really the pace where we're going at until the end. If the drama is going to continue at this pace I am all for it, as an avid fan of the slice-of-life genre of kdramas.

BUT I can't help but feel as though there is something lacking? I don't know if it's the script, directing or editing or even the translation by Netflix. Something just feels off? Like the editing too seems like it's all over the place? I really can point it out but there's just something that is keeping me away from relating to the drama. Does anyone feel the same? TT

In the preview for episode 7 it seems like KSG's parents are really keen on marrying off their son with SDA but I hope they'll end that conversation and plot fast and not drag it on further and turn cliche (hoping so!).

I hope by episode 7 I could blow off all the unusual feelings I get from the 5-6 episodes of the drama, because I really love Run On so far, the message it delivers, especially that it's okay to leave something behind and start anew with a clear mind and goal. But's just that this one thing keeps interfering with my ability to fully immerse myself in the drama lol. Maybe I need to watch the drama all over again to fully understand it's pace and tone!

Also, does anyone know of any other sites that are subbing the show? I might have to watch again with different translations. Thank you!

This is a Netflix subbed show. Which means viki didn't get the license. You need Chinese subs as its known- well I did anyway even if I don't read Simplified Chinese- as I have back translated Chinese to English before when English subs were bad. The reputation of the Chinese subs have always been consistent because they are extremely fluent in Korean.

@vanillakitties you have a lot of posts. I am making the assumption that you know that all the other streaming sites uses ripped subs. No matter what D- cool claims. I checked the main site where the sites gets their ripped subs. Its Netflix subs.

Unless you know a 3rd language. I've encountered an Indonesian subbing group they seem good. If you can watch in Indo. Another one are French subbers since some know Korean really well and they switch their subs according to the honorifics. No offence to Spanish and Arabic subs as I am not as familiar with those languages although Arabic subs seems to run into conflict when they hit the 2 different dialects. So Chinese subs first. Then English then 3rd language.... subs. I am not being sarcastic with my answer. It is seriously my experience when I am looking at subs quality.

Long story short. You're stuck with Netflix subs I think. I am going back to RL and school holidays.

Sigh. I can't seem to summon up interest in Kdramas this morning. New Year and all.

Sorry. In the meantime let me ponder Sooyoung's side profile vs mine. Its been stuck in my mind. I know she is tall and slim but MAN did you all notice her side profile in episode 6? 170cm tall and under 50kg. Me having New Year resolution issues this morning apparently. Lol.

it's so unexpected that I've come to liking this drama way more than the other ongoing dramas at the moment.. I love the unique take of slice of life drama like this.. and as a freelance translator, I find myself relating to Mijoo the most.. (especially the jumbled sleeping schedule lol) Soon Gyeom is also a great male lead. He's a stoic, blunt, kinda clueless guy, but Siwan played him with such controlled emotions, like we know what his inner turmoil even when his expression is flat. Like in ep4? when he's asking Mijoo if she's being paid by his Dad? wow that's a tad scary..

Shin Sekyung kinda surprised me, she doesnt annoy me like her previous characters. As mijoo, she's incredibly realistic and no forced cheerfulness like her previous roles (which is helping bc we all know SSK is more like that irl), I love how she doesnt depend on anyone. Even doesnt take crap from her classmates who mocked her as an orpan

Sooyoung as Dan Ah is also entertaining.. She's so badass and honestly she's so interesting as a character.. especially when he teased uri GyeoMi couple :D I'm also waiting for the romance between the second lead couple though. Alpha Lady-Beta Guy is also a mix i'm looking forward too

CAN IT BE WEDNESDAY ALREADY?? I WANT MORE CONTENTS WITH GYEOMI COUPLE

On 12/31/2020 at 6:01 PM, vanillakitties said:

In the preview for episode 7 it seems like KSG's parents are really keen on marrying off their son with SDA but I hope they'll end that conversation and plot fast and not drag it on further and turn cliche (hoping so!).

I am pretty sure both SG and SD will flatly refuse. He already was very clear about it when he learned he was on SD dad list of potensial marriage partner. He was not happy that his dad had sett him up without his knowledge. We already knows SD have been refusing her dad every time marriage have been mentioned. Beside she is the captain of SG--MJ ship. B) 

So I think we gonna see writers gonna do another fresh take on this typical storyline with characters different reaction. 

4 hours ago, Adwina Oltariani said:

Shin Sekyung kinda surprised me, she doesnt annoy me like her previous characters. As mijoo, she's incredibly realistic and no forced cheerfulness like her previous roles (which is helping bc we all know SSK is more like that irl), I love how she doesnt depend on anyone. Even doesnt take crap from her classmates who mocked her as an orpan

I thought I was the only one.  I'm glad I give myself a chance to watch her drama again.  I usually avoid it after some not so good experiences.  

Though i realise I miss a whole lot since I depend mostly on the translation provided, I still love their dialogues.  The unexpected questions, the unexpected response / answer.  

18 hours ago, Adwina Oltariani said:

It's funny you say that as I find all the characters in this to be incredibly UNrealistic.  I don't believe for a second that any of the characters are acting as real live human beings.  Nonetheless, I am really enjoying the drama so far an plan to keep watching it.

Archived