[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Word of Honor 山河令

sugarplum892

Ye BaiYi has appeared but oh man his hairstyling is horrible. I never understood the appeal of having two feeble locks of hair flowing free from the ears. At least make it thicker! It looks like a scraggly beard when you can see all the strands and see through it lol. It doesn't flow much either, it's quite limp and distracts me sooo much lololol

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Hey everyone :lollipop:How are you? Did you like the last update episode in english sub? They have now 8 EPISODES SUBBED YAY!!!! I dw and watch 13 episodes now :hooray:and beauties (yes you all in the tread ^^)...YOU didn't see at all what coming yet  :highonflowers:

Anyway, I would like to say I didn't finish yet the novel hm, I'm still trying to catch in webnovel some others novels and keep watch some others series too. My friend @UnniSarahprobably win over me so ...I'm lost LOL

btw @UnniSarah dear :heart4: thank for updating your beautiful ''HEART'' from twitter kyaaaaaa The production really push the luck to pass the SARFT LOL and THEY DID IT YAY!!!! When they cut the sleeve part was the most ''EVIDENCE'' that it's a BL. Also all GIFS you did post here kyaaaaaaa fluffy heartttttooooooo ohhh ME SUPER EXTREMELY WAITING FOR LORD SEVENTH OMG....and King Scorpion....they are so hotty too ^^

@kur4p1k4 YAY sweety that to always write in the tread and keep alive. :smooches3:

I'm really busy in a real life so wasn't able to come to write a long reply but you keep updating and let's sharing our love for this tread ^^ . Oh I'm late in HxH seriously, after Gon peek transformation and Grandpa pass away...I was waiting for the update...Gon daddy appear and after I think I'm lost a bit. So slow sigh. I was hope Leorio meet again Kurapica, Gon and Killua. Let's see if that take 30 more year ..I will have more than 60 year old OMG LOL 

Oh yes, that kinda weird to see the advertissement for the peanut but that isnt new. I saw few series like that...exemple LOVE O2O. Kdrama too use the same tactic. I was soooooo in love with Xiao Zhan that I went to chinese store and find his juice that he promote omg:blush:

I also love to read comment from YT users...they are sooooo cutes and funny lolll

Oh the guy Ye Baiyi is out at the end from episode 13 heheheheheeee Omg...remember this actors from Love and Redemption...oh well...he got his redemption lolll

@Dominique Lola Welcome in our super hunky tread :happydance: let's have fun together with everyone :) Oh Gu Xiang voice seem plausible like the novel version...because she really annoying in the cute way, her voice seem to be just for her ^^ The dubber was who already I forgot her name....Ooh Ye Baiyi appear but you would know later why his hairstyle was like that ^^ something like TVB in 1980...so old but kidda go well for his age LOL 

@mei yang Oh :dorashakes: I think I saw you in YT but I dunno if it's really you !!! I was lurker there lollll. Oh we need some recommendation for PRIEST novel for @Wuzetian dear. I know you know more than me and I would read soon your recommendation Silent.. I'm not yet finish Faraway Wanderers and didn't start yet Lord Seventh omg...I'm really late sigh...

@Wuzetian Welcome in our super warming tread :loveu: and also if you want to read Priest novel, I read Priest, Unni-chan too and Mei Yang too, so we would try to help you and recommend you some novel. Right now I'm really slow down with Faraway Wanderers hm...I read Sha Po Lang :heart:. I would go read soon possible Lord Seventh...and also Mei Yang recommendation ^^. So far you finish 6 episode OHHHH you like it? what is your impression? 

@koreankiddo  YAY no worry, we are not all chinese here (ok i'm still half still) If you have any question, everyone here are super into this serie and would help you ^^  Oh youtube already posted until 8 episodes in english subbed so if you want to see it kyaaaaaa

@linhlinh111 Where are you dear!!! We need you in this tread :cutekitty: I always love your comment ^^

HEY everyone!!!! I would not call you all here but WE WILL HAVE SOON THE SHIRTLESS ZHOU ZI SHU in EPISODE 14 OMG and me I was pray that is come in the end in episode 13 

YOUKU THAT CHEAP TRICK YOU USE TO US VIEWERS AWAWAWAAAAAAAAA

3W9BK3c.png

Did Zhang Zhe Han lost his 6 packs :brokenheart:

I feel he lost a lot pound too...ohhh what about his rumor girlfriend Ju Jing Yi thinking. Did someone know how he lost all his fat face O.O are it's only who thinking like that hm....

First at all I was surprised how many characters are adding in this drama to make the lenght with 36 episodes. The Faraway Wandereres is the most SHORT novel from PRIEST and normally with 24 episodes is will end. How the cinematographie and how is done is truly better than Untamed. The way the eye and all the face expression from all characters did captivate us viewers. For people who love Wuxia like me..I'm happy and more happy in this serie that Legend of Fei. The body expression and how our two actors bring ZZS and WKX and charming us is a THUMP UP. I didn't at all expect this BL adaptation was so well done. Actually, in all BL I was waiting to be release...I didn't wait at all for WORD OF HONOR. When it's popped in my TORRENT , I didn't read it and saw only it's PRIEST...and I was YELL  OMG SHA PO LANG IS OUT..until my little sis said nope your are wrong LOL omg GOOD start with episode one and now I'm so into it :)  

YOUKU YOUTUBE ADD MANY LANGUAGE (13) NOW so if you doesn't understand english 

- Chinese 

- English 

- Arabia

- Viet

- Spanish

- French 

- Indonesia

- Japanese

- Persian

- Polish

- Portugese

- Russian 

- Thai

International fans in the world ...where are you? UNTAMED FANS in the WORLD where are you? Lurker are you still here ^^

EDIT : download ep 14 :yaaa:

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 2

Allignment chart for the main casts

cr: twitter @wordofhonorENG for translating and editing from the Chinese version

jLxrLbA.jpg

@Wuzetian  https://pipi.carrd.co/#

That's the link to most of translated Priest works, if you want to read the BL genre click on Danmei. For Word of Honor, the original title is Tian Ya Ke/Faraway Wanderers, in case you're confused why there's no Word of Honor in Danmei section. They also have Priest other works that's not BL, good luck and have fun reading.

Also after watching ep.8 finally get why some of you was making fun of the mask lol. think the funnier one is WKX and ZZS wear the same fancy clothes that is so obvious and nobody realise it's the same people that rescue them :sweat_smile:

@miaka fy Bloody hell you haven't read HxH for really long time then, Leorio did meet with Gon and Killua after that but that was, I think 3-4 years ago story arc lol. But yeah like I said just wait until the author actually finished it don't torture yourself like me:dead:

Good luck with ep.14, based on what I see on twitter and Douban it's just angst, ANGST! all around for WKX and ZZS :evillaugh:

This in my opinion a good explanation why the drama could be 36 episodes long, even though the novel is short

TL;DW version is they add the Prince Jin plot

Also Zhou Ye as Gu Xiang best girl :wow1:

Please live happily with Cao Wei Ning (even though I know it's impossible T.T)

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1

I come across this drama on YT since episode 1. Curiousity proves to be great. The best thing I can watch the episode during the Premier by Youku.. Wahhh. Kyaaa!! So, the 1st thing when coming back from work, switch on the TV, open YT and there you go, the latest episode! 

It feels like The Untamed all over again. With great pairing and good storyline. The OTP scene is the most loveable. Great acting and quality. I like ZZH in a several dramas but this is the 1st time I watch GJ. 

Chinese BL drama can be accepted by me because of the censorship. Bromance is ok for me. Not more than that. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

@kur4p1k4 hm I late in all anime serie too. My most favorite anime serie is ALWAYS ONE PIECE. In i'm still in ep 790 I think...I dw all anime series out and just don't have any time to watch it but collect it. For HxH i'm on chapter...let's me see...chapter 341 or something like that...and I saw they is hiatus from chapter 390 omg never mind it's sooo long lollll

I finish to watch episode 14 yesteday and episode 15 today. Seriously wow. they did change some plot from the novel. Episode 14 was really angst but angst is something I like it. Something that make me cry. 

episode 14 

Spoiler

When Ye Baiyi want to see the Seven Nail and fight with SSZ. Seriously like in the novel WKX really obsess with SSZ waist. Anyway in resume WKX find out that SSZ did have the seven nails and have only two year to live. So you will see all emotion from WKX who was after knowing that, break down. 

credit YOUKU YT.

@an-naum Welcome in this tread :winkx:and agree is easy to open the tv and watch it in YT ( I did it but I prefer to download in to collect too...) Yes, it's did have Untamed vibes but actually which one write the novel first between Priest and Mo Xiang Tongxiu first? The novel didn't have a same vibe at all. But maybe because they keep something like a monster/zombie that why is alike. Wen Ke Xing was more shameless than Wei Wuxian. All is to grab ZZX attention and keep peek him in the novel. Want to sleep with him everyday and did skin touch everytime...possble.

Lan Zhan was more...silent wolf ....who was kinda said kuudere...and Wei Weixian was more innocence than SSZ. 

Bromance is ok like you said and also I hope just they will not change the ending from the novel...

BTW your Rurouni Kenshin avatar...be so long I didn't see someone still remember Kenshin x Kaoru ^^. I love it and got all manga (28 vol) and anime. Just not like the OVA....

About WKX white hair.

Spoiler

...I think it's because the Ying Yang manual....to help ZZS meridians....be alive. I hope it's happy ending. I think we would have our HE ^^

• Like 2

7 hours ago, miaka fy said:

Yes, it's did have Untamed vibes but actually which one write the novel first between Priest and Mo Xiang Tongxiu first?

They're 5 years apart - 2010 WOH and 2015 Untamed. Xianxia and wuxia novels/dramas are usually more or less follow the same themes - good/evil, light/dark, chosen hero, spirits/ghost, clan/sect rivalry, holy grail item/manual/power, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adapting BL novels into drama series has become a trend in China. Alas, to pass Chinese censorship, these series changed the 'BL (Boys Love)' element to 'Bromance', which really bugs me. That is why I never had interest in watching them, until now. I'm hooked on "Word of Honor" because of the adorable chemistry and ambiguous vibes between the characters played by Zhang Zhehan and Gong Jun. Read my first impression review here: 

https://dramabowl.blogspot.com/2021/03/word-of-honor-chinese-bromance-drama.html

• Like 4

@miaka fy, thank u. Kenshin is always in my heart as to remember me my youthful days, cathing the anime on tv with my good friends. (Not young anymore).

I did read several english translation novel if the drama hook me. So, I know The Untamed uncensored part in the novel. I've read a few part of the Faraway-wanderers novel too during my spare time. For now, I want to enjoy the drama. Cannot wait to see ZZX change to much more beautiful costumes. 

Anyway, my most favourite novel is Joy of Life. I've spent days reading and discussing the story with a friend. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

This show is killing me. End of episode 15 and I still can’t tell for sure who Wen Kexing is. I must be dense or something.

Ah Xu come back, don’t leave Wen alone again.

That scene with Ah Xu and Ye Baiyi and then Wen at the end of episode 13 continuing to episode 14 is simply the best.

“下雨天打儿子,闲着也是闲着”

Wen dresses well. That array of frocks. Ghost Valley spring-summer 2021 jianghu runway.

No more episodes to watch :(

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, impoppies said:

This show is killing me. End of episode 15 and I still can’t tell for sure who Wen Kexing is. I must be dense or something.

Ah Xu come back, don’t leave Wen alone again.

That scene with Ah Xu and Ye Baiyi and then Wen at the end of episode 13 continuing to episode 14 is simply the best.

“下雨天打儿子,闲着也是闲着”

Wen dresses well. That array of frocks. Ghost Valley spring-summer 2021 jianghu runway.

No more episodes to watch :(

How you dont have any episode to watch o.o I download episode 16 and have watch it in this morning. Do you want me send to you the episode 16 1080p?:hooray:

yes episode 13 ending and 14 begining was something. You can really feel the pain from WKX who going to drunk until dead drink 

episode 16

Spoiler

episode 16 was the cave part. Something happen in the assemble Jiang Hu and someone die sigh...Ye Baiyi appear too in the cave and we will see some friction between him and WKX LOL

no worry lolll Ah Xu will never leave him again until in 24ep i think...

@an-naum Nooooo LOL Im sure I'm more older than you lolll I was in detective Conan when it's start and DB or sailor moon already :hooray2:Kenshin with his Oroooooo and Aoshi too LOL. Maybe I will rewatch it I have in hard drive somewhere....I read really a lot novel and still read it in many program readinng. My first novel that I read was ''I shall seal the Heaven'' After that I read many fantazy romance novel and some I finish it completely and some I'm still late to catch it. My favorite novel was ''Seven Unfortunates Lifetimes, All thank to a single moment of Impulse''. That was really short 54 chapters but that enough that make me cry like a river everytime I read it. Sadly I didn't start yet Joy of Life reading but I did watch the drama version. I just love and waiting for the second part :wub:

I'm still late in Faraway Wanderers and now I'm on chapter 59 YAY oh my my....I'm on episode 16 now.

The part THAT EVERYONE in Instagram and Twitters waiting was here 

credit to the owner

And OMG Zhang Zhehan know how to keep our attention here

I love AVENUEX and maybe you all know her LOL in the last video I kinda understand her feeling because ME u cant go out from Word of Honor and seriously I dw everything in cdrama and watch...I think because facebook comment, Instagram picture and video and all discussion in weibo are crazy that people become sooooo obsessed with LOL She said that she CAN'T watch anything but 99% her brain is for Word of Honor 

Killer or Healer, Rattan, 2 Confirmed BL Dramas, and I've fallen for WOH, etc. #66 Mar6 2021[CC] - YouTube

She make also this really FUNNY video about our two cuties

CREDIT AVENUEX YOUTUBE

EPISODE 01 IN YT GOT 3 MILLIONS VIEWS OMG and EPISODE 2, EPISODE 3 AND EPISODE 4 GOT A MILLIONS VIEWS ALREADY YAY KEEP GOING!!!

• Like 3

Revisiting the earlier episodes and it seems the scenes I most enjoy are of Wen Kexing and his cruel streak. 

Smiling genially this instant, breaking necks the next. 

Spoiler

Meetings with him are to die for. With a noose all ready for impromptu events. And then it's back to the regular agenda even though there’s now a corpse strung up in the middle of the room. That entire scene was good. 

And then just one episode later, another treat. “你是自己说,还是让我把答案...榨出来?” Asked ever so gently, so amiably. And then apparently he did indeed squeeze the answer out of the guy. Bone by bone, inch by inch.

The one with the beggars at the beginning was fun too. 

And always impeccably dressed. I can't get enough of this character. 

• Like 3

I wasn’t going to watch this initially when I saw the poster because I thought it was too obvious a low budget bait for the untamed fans also none of the reviewers seemed to have good feelings about this one. But then the other day I went to douban and saw the rating and I was like:????

I thought I should check it out, without bothering to read anything about it just to see an episode and see what the fuss is about and......

OMG. This is a stupidly fun show. 

I expected the leads to be untamed lite but they definitely weren’t that similar to those characters outside of looks!! All the stuff the ex-assassin did!!! Then all the things the ghost king is still doing!!

I binged every episode out so far. Sooooo good. 

17 hours ago, impoppies said:

Revisiting the earlier episodes and it seems the scenes I most enjoy are of Wen Kexing and his cruel streak. 

Smiling genially this instant, breaking necks the next. 

Hide contents

Meetings with him are to die for. With a noose all ready for impromptu events. And then it's back to the regular agenda even though there’s now a corpse strung up in the middle of the room. That entire scene was good. 

And then just one episode later, another treat. “你是自己说,还是让我把答案...榨出来?” Asked ever so gently, so amiably. And then apparently he did indeed squeeze the answer out of the guy. Bone by bone, inch by inch.

Yesssss his moral ambiguity is very good. Like for so long we were guessing if he was actually just faking things and then we find out: Nope. There’re reasons why he is the ghost king and why all of those monsters are scared of him. 

Still can’t get over what a bad boy he is. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

A compilation of lip reading up to episode 15 and more thorough explanation

Translation of the interview with the scriptwriter of Word of Honor

https://dramapotatoe.com/interview-with-word-of-honor-scripwriter-xiao-chu-part-one-on-the-characters-and-actors/

Quite interesting stuff in here and my amazement that they have only one scriptwriter and she's a rookie in the industry, good read. And also I'm happy how passionate she is about every characters and about wuxia genre. Been a long time since I watch a series that can give me the messiness and stupidity of jianghu.

Interview with Zhou Ye, the actress playing Gu Xiang

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/fQphUwOd9ATrIV8QXXv6DQ

Some interesting bits:

-. This is the first time Zhou Ye has ever played in a costume drama

-. WKX saved GX when she's still a child and he's been taking care of her ever since

-. To WKX, GX is the only living being in Ghost Valley

-. WKX is like her brother and father, that's why her violent temper and chatterbox are all learnt from WKX

-. GX always yearn for friendship and sisterhood, that's why she saved all those girls

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Oh my my...I didn't want to come and write a long post because I'm so tired after work but OMG when I saw I HAVE UNTIL EPISODE 21 to watch I was like WTH IS THAT they DON'T WANT ME SLEEP OR WHAT :onfirex:

Anyway I did finish to watch ALL episodes (BUT I use fast forward because I will not able to supper like that) and also download episode 18 in torrent. All other episodes was a cut version so I don't want to have it...I would take a 1080p quality later...

So what I have to said..some part from ep 18 to 21 ^^

Spoiler

We got a cave part that we can see everyone past story and about our two cuties did meet each other. The father from the puppet master who also a friend with Wen family tell the past story about the secret that everyone want. How that destroy friendship because the hidden secret like the book of the Ying Yang manual....ZZS was call him uncle too so everyone know each other....

The past story between our little two was really cute and how SSZ take care of his shidi...how did he know that little shidi fall for him so much LOL ''the story about how the friend who give a dog to him...'' was ZZS who give him the little puppie

I was though that Rong was the father..BUT nope o.o did I mistake? I didn't finish yet but it's did look a alike the the novel 85%...

They did make a big story about the King Scorpio...and his connection with Xi Sang. 

If you saw in the serie, you will notice about the ''CUT SLEEVE'' in episode 5 that WKX cut ZZS sleeve and the meaning that was suppose to be a ''gay couple''

spacer.png

and in episode 18 when ZZS cut WKX sleeve 

spacer.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Ai_of_Han who was so in love with his Dong Xian, in the bed, for not awake him, cut his own sleeve to protect his sleep ....you know what that mean LOL.

some picture from ep 18

Spoiler

In the episode 18, this part was sooooo cute 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

BTW DID YOU KNOW ZHANG ZHENHAN AND GONG JUN WASN'T SUPPOSE TO BE OUR LEAD in this serie ?

I did ask in mydramalist because I didn't find the answer ( didn't have a time to search...) but 

WKX/GONG JUN was suppose to be Li Dai Kun who is now our King Scorpio in this serie. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

My sister said he will fit well to WKZ because he is feminine...hm...I dunno for myself...Only like Gong Jun...

ZZS/SHANG SHENHAN was suppose to be Ma Zi Jun who are now the lead from Killer and Healer another BL cdrama. I dw all episode out until episode 18 but didn't start yet. I know him from The Destiny of the white snake... I cut him  picture in my Killer and Healer part 

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Can you all see him for ZZS?

@kur4p1k4 welcome back dear!!! I didn't see you for few days :heart4: Oh imagine if I resubbed all with the real meaning and reposted it in srt hehe with everything Avenuex said....OMG can I do that? I have some vacation in April ohhhhhhhhhh Where are you with the serie?

@impoppies Gong Jun facial is the best for WKX...When you see his eye...change form and become more colder....god myself too I'm scared LOLLLL:luvarrow: but also smexy....

@arcchidus Welcome in our secret caves where we can write about Word of Honor and bring more people here :yay: And really happy that you like so far this serie !!!! Let's have fun to write what we thinking with everyone!!!! 

@UnniSarah dear :smooches3: come back to write here LOL you will finish soon the novel, I know it's so addict. Where are you now with Word of Honor? I'm on episode 21 (use fast FORWARD button...I'm so proud of myself can you imagine it LOL nevermind in this weekend I will seriously watch it slowly...too much busy kyaaaaa)

All pictures I cut myself from my episode...I went to search in my HD where is The destiny of the white snake oh my my....

Oh AvenueX count how many time Ah Xu was call and ''brother'' .....From 01 to 13

Credit AVENUEX Youtube 

She was really count in ALL episodes how many time WKZ call ZZS in different word omg 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 3:26 AM, linhlinh111 said:

It seems that the popularity levels of Cdramas in this forum aren't correlated to their popularity in China. I see some hot topics in China aren't very hot here and some kinda flopped dramas get many more views and reps.

yeah, international audience are sort of subjected to how available english subs are. Int audience also tend to gravitate towards romance dramas/dramas that's directed to younger audience + actors/actress they know. China is a LOT pickier with idol dramas/romance dramas because you are flooded with them, and you have other countries dramas/tv shows, variety shows and movies to watch, so for romcom to stand out, they usually have to be pretty exceptional. Anyways, this one is pretty popular I think internationally? There are a lot of comments over at MDL.

On 3/4/2021 at 2:03 PM, kur4p1k4 said:

So, in ep.6 there's an advertisement for real peanut company 沃隆, is that normal now for c-drama? That really took me out for a second, I mean it was almost at the end but still...

The last drama I watched, joy of life, usually just had normal ad break for a few second, this is like k-drama subway ads level bad.

There's both, product replacement AND ads in the middle. Ever Night s1 had some notable product replacements that made me laugh, make up and cold meds weren't that unusual, but pizza hut was just really funny, and self heating hot pot took the cake. I think they worked it in pretty well though. Modern cdramas have them more often, but I was really surprised to see them in historical dramas before. This drama's is a little too blatant lol.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:37 AM, impoppies said:

“下雨天打儿子,闲着也是闲着”

This is completely unrelated to the drama but hahahaha this line. "It's raining, let's beat up the son while we are bored" is likely a reference to "It's new years, let's beat up the son while we are bored" which is.....tied to a rather complicated story about creation of the fantasty world novoland. Back in early 2000s, bunch of people decided to make an epic fantasy world akin to LoTR's middle earth, 7 people were nominated to be "gods" of the world and they establish base setting like geography, history, race etc. They created magazine for the world, and everyone could publish their own stories based in this world through it.

Tribes and Empires by Jin He Zai 今何在 (also known for Tales of Wukong) and Novoland Eagle Flag by Jiang Nan 江南 (also known for Shanghai Fortress) were both published around mid 00s, and the two authors were two of the seven gods of Novoland and really good friends, they had a huge falling out in 2007, and most of it was on the Novoland forum. Subsequently, almost every year they would fight one way or another very publically online, thus the meme. The "son" that's referenced is Novoland itself. In recent years, I think it's mostly died down and they are almost at peace with it.

This entire thing is really hilarious to read because all their friends + half the web novel author circle were super into shipping them. Partially because there's something beautiful in working towards a dream when you were young and then it all ends terribly and you go your separate ways, but partially because it's just so much fun. Goodbye My Princess' author (and several dramas producer) Fei Wo Si Cun wrote a poem for it (?), Douluo Continent's author Tang Jia San Shao wrote a fic for it, lot of other people provided choice snippets and there are fan songs! More importantly, the otp themselves sometime fuel the fire. Tales of Wukong's movie hit the theatre on Jiang Nan's birthday. Jiang Nan has a book that was adapted into a movie that aired on Jin He Zai's birthday, I'm telling you they did it on purpose! Anyways, that one line sent half of weibo into reminiscing over this otp lol. 

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skibbies said:

There's both, product replacement AND ads in the middle. Ever Night s1 had some notable product replacements that made me laugh, make up and cold meds weren't that unusual, but pizza hut was just really funny, and self heating hot pot took the cake. I think they worked it in pretty well though. Modern cdramas have them more often, but I was really surprised to see them in historical dramas before. This drama's is a little too blatant lol.

This production is so poor they needed the peanuts company. They don’t have ultra popular actors for guaranteed traffic either... Honestly I am just happy it exists.

On popularity: It’s not on Viki which really impacts the popularity here. However I saw a world wide aggregator and it’s saying this show is 18th in the world right now — the only show outside of The Untamed on the top 20 list right now.

It is the top show in China right now. I am a little worried with the popularity though. A lot more discourse on Chinese social media now that it’s popular. :(

On New Episodes: They are good but I just want to see our ghost king to be a bad guy more hahaha, am I bad?

@miaka fy I think one of the reasons why this show is popular is the chemistry and so I can’t imagine the show with different leads right now. I do wonder if the original actors regret not staying on the show now that it became popular... especially the guy in Killer and Healer. 18 episodes aired for that show but it’s still not popular enough to have their rating released. The other guy at least got to be part of the project so he gets some of the love and exposure. 

• Like 3

@miaka fy Finally catch up to the most recent episodes, ep.21, can't wait anymore lol. Youku really cruel on Youtube viewer pretty much like 10 episodes late:sweat_smile:. Even though I get it, translator need time and they give more exclusivity to the VIPs, you can watch in Youtube for free technically. 

And about the original actors, just like @arcchidus I really can't imagine anybody else but Gong Jun and Zhang Zhe Han playing it now, they have such great chemistry. Maybe it's just fate, at least some good things came out because of Covid mucking up their schedule and they have to change actors.

And finally we get the story behind what happen 20 years ago and also I'm a bit ambivalent about ZZS and WKX past relationship

Spoiler

In the most recent episodes, it was revealed that ZZS and WKX known each other when they were a kid and as protection for WKX, Qin Huai Zhang accept him as his disciple. This make WKX and ZZS martial brother, which I don't know just does not flow that well as a plot. I know they do this to justify for future episodes, why they stay in one room, why WKX follow ZZS back to Four Season Manor, etc. They're just 'Bro' being 'Bro' :phew:. But yeah somehow I just don't really like how it got set up maybe?

Is this how it goes in the novel or did they just invent it? Can somebody who has read the book tell me, did WKX and ZZS also know each other when they were kids?

I'll see next episode how it goes, just that this plot line is weird to me.

@arcchidus Nah mate, totally get it, WKX been moping for a few episodes. I get that he's reliving some traumatic memories, but he's the most fun when he's being evil lol. I watched episode 10 again with English sub on Youtube, evil WKX just fill me with dread, he looked really crazy and unpredictable, love it:omg:

Also why is it bad to be popular in China? Don't you want your drama series to be popular? Especially with their low budget, they probably did not expect this popularity

Edited by kur4p1k4
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 1:58 AM, kur4p1k4 said:

@miaka fy Finally catch up to the most recent episodes, ep.21, can't wait anymore lol. Youku really cruel on Youtube viewer pretty much like 10 episodes late:sweat_smile:. Even though I get it, translator need time and they give more exclusivity to the VIPs, you can watch in Youtube for free technically. 

And about the original actors, just like @arcchidus I really can't imagine anybody else but Gong Jun and Zhang Zhe Han playing it now, they have such great chemistry. Maybe it's just fate, at least some good things came out because of Covid mucking up their schedule and they have to change actors.

And finally we get the story behind what happen 20 years ago and also I'm a bit ambivalent about ZZS and WKX past relationship

Hide contents

In the most recent episodes, it was revealed that ZZS and WKX known each other when they were a kid and as protection for WKX, Qin Huai Zhang accept him as his disciple. This make WKX and ZZS martial brother, which I don't know just does not flow that well as a plot. I know they do this to justify for future episodes, why they stay in one room, why WKX follow ZZS back to Four Season Manor, etc. They're just 'Bro' being 'Bro' :phew:. But yeah somehow I just don't really like how it got set up maybe?

Is this how it goes in the novel or did they just invent it? Can somebody who has read the book tell me, did WKX and ZZS also know each other when they were kids?

I'll see next episode how it goes, just that this plot line is weird to me.

@arcchidus Nah mate, totally get it, WKX been moping for a few episodes. I get that he's reliving some traumatic memories, but he's the most fun when he's being evil lol. I watched episode 10 again with English sub on Youtube, evil WKX just fill me with dread, he looked really crazy and unpredictable, love it:omg:

Also why is it bad to be popular in China? Don't you want your drama series to be popular? Especially with their low budget, they probably did not expect this popularity

On past relationship 

Spoiler

The fact WKX was gone before he was able to learned anything from the master meant they had the same teacher in name only. They really only had a few days of hanging out before they parted. So it explains once again why WKX kept saying his life is defined by poor timing. 

One fan theory is that ZZS kept bringing this up because he wanted WKX to have a home and a purpose so that even if he dies WKX won’t just find some place to hide in sadness and waste his life away. 

ZZS doesn’t realize each time he brings it up it is just a knife in WKX, reminding him once more that timing in his life sucks and all good things are fleeting. 

On novel plot - spoilers up to most recent episodes!!

Spoiler

This novel is the shortest Priest novel and one of her earliest. As such the writing is somewhat mediocre imo.

WKX and ZZS didn’t know each other before the start of the novel. This is good in itself but it had detrimental impact to WKX’s background story.

WKX’s parents didn’t even have a name. They were just referenced as friends of the guy who started everything. We know nothing about them outside or the fact his mother had nice butterfly bones and the fact they were friends of the wife of the guy who started it all. 

WKX background was completely brought out in the passing in the last couple chapter in the middle of the final battle basically between his fight with final boss. In fact a load of stuff basically just came in the final fight including the fact the ghosts were rebelling, the death of a key character, his rise to power, what really happened in the beginning that caused the ghosts to leave the valley, the past happenings and the fact BY was the martial teacher of the guy who started it all.... it was mediocre story telling at best.

On why being too popular in China is bad: there comes a point when anti fans will start popping up in social media in China whose sole purpose is to spread bad words about a series when a series gets too popular. In addition if a BL show gets too popular it’s very possible the government may take notice and suddenly clamp down on censorship — potentially even making on air shows stop airing to get edited or take aired show off the web completely. It’s not the first time things like this happened.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1