[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Love and Redemption 琉璃美人煞

sugarplum892

For the longest time, I was confused and hurt by XJ killing SF in every lifetime. I wondered over and over again whether it's because she doesn't love him enough. But after watching ep 27 (glimpse of all 9 lifetimes), I think I've finally come up with an explanation that soothes my heart. To me, the reason why she ended up killing him each time isn't because she didn't love him but because her anger and hatred clouded her emotions. (I don't know exactly what happened when she was the God of War nor do I want any spoilers (lol), but it seemed like she was really wronged so we can't blame her for being the way she was in her 9 lives even with her memories of being the God of War gone.) Her hatred overcame all feelings of love that she could have possessed in those lives. The reason why I think this way is because in some lifetimes, she looked hurt when he died. She teared up and seemed very conflicted. We can feel that his love was almost...ALMOST able to break through her walls.  On the other hand, on her 10th and last tribulation, her 6 senses are taken away and so is her ability to feel hatred. XJ is given a fresh start, and she is given the chance to be happy with her life, make friends, and fall in love with SF. It gives her the opportunity to focus on the beauty, life, and love that surround her instead of being blinded by any negativity. Her 10th tribulation is her chance to make a decision between killing him again/forgetting him or finally letting go of her past and revenge. I also like to think of this last life as an opportunity given to her by the Heavenly Realm. Whereas in previous lifetimes, she was born into tough circumstances, XJ is now blessed to be born into a family who loves her - blessed to have a wonderful sister, doting father, and loyal friends by her side. She is in an environment that, in my opinion, encourages her to learn how to forgive and how to love. Yes, her previous lives sucked in some aspects, but the heavens is now showing her the beauty and SINCERITY life has to offer in her current life - it's now up to her whether she wants to redeem herself. I hope that in later episodes - when she remembers her previous 9 lives and what SF has done for her - she will finally allow love and forgiveness to remain in her life and not let hate infiltrate her heart. 

If she remembers her 9 lives but still chooses to try to kill SF, I'm actually going to cry lool Idt I'll be able to reason my way out of that one. But I'm going to try to remain hopeful. XJ is inherently not a bad person as seen by her unwillingness to stand by injustice and bloodshed. She was just trained to kill because of HC and his motives. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Omg I just finished watching episode 27 and what an intense episode! Feel so bad for SF! I defintely agree with @XxchinesedramacrazexX! Seemed like XJ harbored a lot of hatred due to the injustice she had to go through from horrible HC's scheme, which made her unhappy and had trust issues in the mortal relam. She literally fell down with a grudge, poor XJ.

On the other hand, when the God of War was about to be awakened, she was great/super strong!!!! LOVED it! She was ready to kill anyone who was in her way. Props to our female lead for acting that part super well!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

i have just finished watching episode 27 too. gosh, so intense! i absolutely love it. so much was revealed within the last two episodes. i absolutely love the badass God of War! and i agreed with what the two above members said about XJ having too much hatred in her heart that she wasn't able to love SF in the past 9 lives.

however, one thing that i DO NOT understand was.....from the very beginning, hao chen made it sound like XJ and SF were deeply in love in the past 9 lifetimes. that's why he tries so hard to prevent them from falling in love this lifetime. so all this time, i was under the impression that XJ and SF were star-crossed lovers in the past 9 lifetimes.....only to find out that she never loved him in any of those lifetime and that she actually killed him in those 9 lifetimes. sure, her hatred was too high that it clouded her from love, but still, she didn't love him at all. i hope there is a truth somewhere that's not revealed yet, that will show that XJ did loved SF in those 9 lifetimes. otherwise, the whole point of hao chen preventing XJ from meeting SF is pointless bc it was XJ who did more harm to SF and SF did not affect XJ in her tribulations at all.

also, in episode 16, hao chen, talking to himself, asked, "why can't you overcome that tribulation of love?" so based on this question alone, i was under the impression that XJ failed each tribulation because of love. yet, according to what SF saw in the mirror, it was definitely not love....at least not from XJ. i don't understand at all. 

• Like 4

@maryly09 I think,maybe in all the 9 lives, she does affected /touched by SF's love. That's why all the 9lives, she failed to ascend to heaven, because she failed the temptation of love. That's why Haochen/Dijun gone to mortal realms to make sure she does, so she can be with him in heaven.

I don't really understand the concept of this mortal realms tribulation things, like in Eternal Love of Dream, Dijun gone to mortal realms, and Fengjiu instead of helping him, end up making him failed because he's temptated by love.

Or maybe it depend on the objective of the tribulation. From Haochen's point of view, the reason XuanJi failed in all 9lives because she is tempted by love, that's why he see SF as distraction. But maybe actually is because although she does affected by love, but the hatred is still there. Haochen should have help SF in the 10th live, because SF is the one that can ease her hatred, but being him, of course he doesn't think so :unamused:

If HC doesn't gone down to mortal realms, i think Xuanji manage to get through the tribulation just fine in the 10th live. She always trust Si Feng no matter what happen, but with HC's involvement, they ended have a big fight/misunderstanding.

• Like 5

I couldn't agree more on member's above posted. Kudos to ML and FL acting. They've bring the characters to alive. Love chemistry between them. Also aside that, supporting actors contributes a lot too. 

p.s. find guy who can do anything for you and love you unconditionally like sifeng! :wub:

• Like 2

I totally agree with @XxchinesedramacrazexX

I'm so pissed when other fans around me blamed her for killing SF without understanding that she has tough life in 9 lifetimes. 

And also from ep 36-44 too. XJ don't have trust issue with SF, what we saw from trailer it's just a part of a whole picture :(

They deserved each other.

• Like 4

Yeah, XJ's tribulation is a bit confusing. At one point I thought it was love from what HC said. But then it also seemed like the reason why XJ was sent down to the mortal relam was to lose her hostility/grudge bc she had too much of it when she was God of War. Her hatred was a threat to the Heavenly Realm. If her tribulation was to learn how to let go of grudges/lose her hostility, then it would make more sense for me. In each lifetime, she kept killing, was merciless, and probably eventually still died with hostility. There was even one life where SF used his life to eliminate her "li/evil" aura in hope to make her less hostile (this life is where he had her tied up in the air and when he used his life to eliminate her li, her black nails disappeared).

Regardless of what XJ's true tribulation is, one part did seem telling to me: she was indeed impacted by XF's sacrifice in each life (at least for me haha). After she kills him, I didn't see satisfaction but confusion and confliction. She didn't "trust" anyone but herself in the mortal realm, but there was a person (SF) who was willing to die for her and show her (sadly SF had to justify/show her by literally dying) that sincerity, love, and trust does exist. We'll just have to wait and see if more is revealed later in the story to define XJ's tribulation.

And yeah! I don't understand why some people hate XJ (I mean I do see why...bc they are invested in SF and feel terrible for him, and I feel bad for him too but still! It was his choice to follow her/sacrifice himself lol). It made sense how she treated SF the way she did in the past 9 lives due to her grudge.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Sorry for posting a lot today, but I came across this article and it didn't make me feel too good.

:criesariver:

I'm a fan of this show and I have watched til ep 27 but disagree with some of the comments. For those of you who have watched farther, does XJ get overbearingly annoying/frustrating as a character?

https://dramapanda.com/2020/08/love-and-redemption-writer-explains-side-controversy.html

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, ayang23 said:

Sorry for posting a lot today, but I came across this article and it didn't make me feel too good.

I'm a fan of this show and I have watched til ep 27 but disagree with some of the comments. For those of you who have watched farther, does XJ get overbearingly annoying/frustrating as a character?

https://dramapanda.com/2020/08/love-and-redemption-writer-explains-side-controversy.html

Not really, i think it's understandable from her point of view. Before she knew Si Feng is demon, she trust him completely.

Spoiler

Even after she know he's a demon, she still trust him, but under the pressure from her dad, her senior brother (Haochen), even Linglong, she's torned.From all the people close to her, only Mingyan who speaks up for Si Feng. And maybe because she get her senses back kinda cloud her judgement.

Her dad behave like that because his wife was murdered by Si Feng's tribe.

Linglong because she had bad experience from Wu Tong, so she despise demon.

I think what made Xuanji really mad at Si Feng is the fact that he lied to her, not because he's a demon or even as Moshaxing. 

I don't read the novel, but from people who had read it, they said that Si Feng is not really put much emphasize in the story, maybe that's why they think the drama minimized XuanJi.

Although it's kinda seem too much for Si Feng (42 times blood spit), but it's still within reason. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, eclipse02 said:

Not really, i think it's understandable from her point of view. Before she knew Si Feng is demon, she trust him completely.

Reveal hidden contents

Even after she know he's a demon, she still trust him, but under the pressure from her dad, her senior brother (Haochen), even Linglong, she's torned.From all the people close to her, only Mingyan who speaks up for Si Feng. And maybe because she get her senses back kinda cloud her judgement.

I think what made Xuanji really mad at Si Feng is the fact that he lied to her, not because he's a demon or even as Moshaxing. 

I don't read the novel, but from people who had read it, they said that Si Feng is not really put much emphasize in the story, maybe that's why they think the drama minimized XuanJi.

Although it's kinda seem too much for Si Feng (42 times blood spit), but it's still within reason. 

Okay that's promising to hear, and what a relief! Thank you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ayang23 said:

Already read the article and became annoyed. Tired of this paid review and paid rating accusation. This is my first time seeing a particular popular drama is accused like this. However much money out there, they couldn't possibly buy all the people who commented with passion in discussion forum.

Regarding the story:

Spoiler

I cannot fault that some people find her annoying at this point of time (until episode 44). She in a way really lets herself be swayed by her father, Hao Chen, Ling Long, and all other people from "good" sects. Of course if we want to think logically from her point of view, her behavior is understandable. But, understand doesn't mean it is easy to be swallowed. People who defend her, claims that Si Feng lied too many times to her. And it is normal for her to trust her family. People who defend Si Feng, expect her to be more trusting on him and grow more backbone to not always agreeing to her family. 

I think Si Feng trusts Xuan Ji too much, he is betting everything on her love to him. His principal in love is all in or nothing. Problem is, Xuan Ji is still a naive woman who just get her 6 senses. She is not ready for this kind of love and even not ready to reciprocate in the same manner. So we have this kind of unbalance love for now. The male lead suffers so much while the female lead goes free in a way.

Posters above have explained very nicely about how in 9 lives before this, Xuan Ji was filled with hatred and anger. In a way she was like an angry dog. Uncontrollable and lashed out everywhere. What Si Feng had done to appease her anger was letting her bit into him as much as she wanted. It was the only way. She didn't believe in sincerity so Si Feng died 9 times to show his sincerity. How do you show sincerity? By showing your willingness to sacrifice and suffer. So I feel the drama showing lots of male lead suffering is justified. Now in the 10th life, Xuan Ji anger finally gone. Now she learns to love. Right now, she starts tilting the love balance but not yet done; Si Feng side still hold more weight. I hope in the end of the drama, after her character development completed, finally their love will be balanced between the two of them.

People who overly criticize the script right now perhaps just not patient enough.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

who hates XJ? lol. we have been with this girl from the beginning until now and we have seen how her character developed and now we're seeing the background as to why she has to go through all those tribulations. so we should understand her. yes, she killed SF each lifetime for 9 lifetimes, but each lifetime she starts over and she never loved him. it's not her fault. he was willing to sacrifice for her. i'm sure if she knew he died for her each lifetime for 9 lifetimes, i'm sure that might soften her heart a little. but she didn't know. she basically start over each lifetime and meet him all over again. so it's not really her fault because she didn't know.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Lizegong atmosphere is very different on set :joy: 

Sorry this is not from the set of Love and Redemption but I just find it hilarious XD

Fu Gongzhu is very handsome!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEElqmdA00X/?utm_source=ig_embed

Edited by Jillia
Unfortunately due to court rulings we're not permitted to embedd IG links!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3

9 hours ago, eclipse02 said:

Hide contents

Totally agreed with you. :heart2:

• Like 1

It seems they have extended more 6 episodes for Go Ahead drama.  But they have reduced the episode duration for the last 4 episodes.  But even then, i think they are going to air extra scenes.  Waah!!!! can they not do that for L & R?  Already they reduced it to 59 episodes from 72 episodes.  Looks like they are going to rush many scenarios which need more clear explanations, especially the LHJD and the Bailin dijun heavenly realm story, GOW etc.  Please  extend!!!!!!:tightdeadline:

• Shocked 3
  • Wiggle 1

49 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

It seems they have extended more 6 episodes for Go Ahead drama.  But they have reduced the episode duration for the last 4 episodes.  But even then, i think they are going to air extra scenes.  Waah!!!! can they not do that for L & R?  Already they reduced it to 59 episodes from 72 episodes.  Looks like they are going to rush many scenarios which need more clear explanations, especially the LHJD and the Bailin dijun heavenly realm story, GOW etc.  Please  extend!!!!!!

Whaaaat?! Nooo! Why are they reducing the episode duration?! Maybe it's bc of those anti fans who keep complaining about the drama? :tears:

Edited by Jillia

25 minutes ago, ayang23 said:

Whaaaat?! Nooo! Why are they reducing the episode duration?! Maybe it's bc of those anti fans who keep complaining about the drama? :tears:

it seems It might have to do with the programming of the tv channel, thats all.  

edit:

The previews for episodes 45 and 46 have been uploaded on Youku =>

https://m.youku.com/alipay_video/id_XNDgzMzk1MTk0OA==.html?spm=a2h0c.8166622.PhoneSokuProgram_1.dplaybutton

https://m.youku.com/alipay_video/id_XNDgzMzk1MjI5Mg==.html?spm=a2h0c.8166622.PhoneSokuProgram_1.dplaybutton

Also it seems youko will upload this weeks vip episodes45- 53 @10am China time tomorrow. yay!!!!!!  :fullofhearts:

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, pad-hari said:

It seems they have extended more 6 episodes for Go Ahead drama.  But they have reduced the episode duration for the last 4 episodes.  But even then, i think they are going to air extra scenes.  Waah!!!! can they not do that for L & R?  Already they reduced it to 59 episodes from 72 episodes.  Looks like they are going to rush many scenarios which need more clear explanations, especially the LHJD and the Bailin dijun heavenly realm story, GOW etc.  Please  extend!!!!!!

I don't mind if they want to change back to 72ep....for lovely scene between sf and xj only....:naughty:

Edited by Jillia
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3