[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Love and Redemption 琉璃美人煞

sugarplum892

17 hours ago, ayang23 said:

These are interesting thoughts (the debate about whether HC likes/loves XJ or not)! I'm leaning towards that HC does have some kinds of feelings for XJ. In episode 18 or 19, when XJ's heartbeat was going wild due to SF's kiss, one disciple (I forgot her name) came in to check on her. After she told XJ that her intense heartbeat was related to "love," HC overheard that conversation. The look on his face showed signs of unhappiness, and perhaps even jealousy. For sure he was disturbed lol. Also...when HC destroyed the flower lamp thing, he put another piece of the Kunlun tree into the pot. The flower lamp grew...so does that mean that deep within his heart, XJ is in it?! It might still be too early in the story to really know his true feelings, but we'll see. I suspect that he does like her more than just a friend/mentee.

I'm only up to episode 19, and so I can't say too much about HC's character/I will have to continue monitoring his character development. Unfortunately, it's very hard for me to say I like HC as a character. Though I do think his character is interesting and his character adds another complex layer into the story overall. So props to the writer! Overall, I feel similar to what XxchinesedramacrazexX said. HC is a character that is selfish and his actions and behaviors seem to stem from his desire to "keep the heavenly realm" at peace.

The lamp is a huge giveaway that he loves her, but his reaction also shows that he didn’t know it himself.

I see him as a very tragic character rather than a villain. He said he was betrayed in the past, I wonder if he means he felt betrayed when Mosha rebelled against heavenly realm or when the God of War killed his fiance’s family. He sacrificed Mosha to fulfill his duty with the heavenly realm, then he sacrificed his love for the God of War for his duty again when he had to marry the other girl to keep the realm safe. He couldn’t love her but he can’t let her go too, for me it’s really a pitiful character that will never get a happy ending, probably he is the one who suffers the most because he lost her twice in his imortal life, then saw her fall in love with another nine times, and now again, but since he is mortal too, he can’t hold back his feelings anymore. It’s his antics that reminds me of Night Deity, trying to control and manipulate Jin Mi, creating misunderdstandings between her and Xu Feng, not his personality or backstory. 
To end my reflections, I’m totally a XJ and SF shipper, but I wan’t a better end for HC, I wish he could be better and get peace, really, I don’t hate him at all.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

Noooo...this gonna be sad  ep!...woww...such beautiful wings:D i am preparing tissue for these eps:tears:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@ayang23 I like what Cheng Yi had to say about how it's not really HC's fault, that no one's particularly at fault because it's merely a matter of a difference in thought/opinion. I think that's pretty much my interpretation as well. There is no ultimate good vs ultimate evil really. They are all shades of gray. Demons can be kind and virtuous, and gods/righteous sects can be narrowminded/blind when they obsessively follow their ideals and ignore the carnage they leave behind.

@Nat_93 I don't buy that story for one second tbh. Not sure how far in you are, but in case you don't want to get spoiled:

Spoiler

the flashbacks of the god of war have all been about her confronting Bailin about how he tricked and controlled her, that she doesn't even have her own name or friends/family because he doesn't want her to find out where she came from. She also talks about how heaven used her as their god of war and that she's just a joke to them.

It doesn't line up at all with that story of a spurned woman who rebelled due to jealousy. There is something Baidi did to her that we don't know about, though we can be sure he probably thinks she was the one who betrayed him. The exciting part will be finding out just what it is, and how this cover story plays into it. I agree that Baidi is a tragic character though. He was at a disadvantage to begin with, with no understanding of emotions, and that's probably why he did whatever he did. If I'm going to guess, it's going to be his downfall in the later episodes.

@Minnieee33 Same, I would hate for it to be left on a cliffhanger and have to wait another week. I think I'll wait until more previews come out for the later episodes so I get an idea of what the fallout is like first.

On a separate, unrelated note: HC's reactions to Teng She were hilarious in ep. 34, and I'm thoroughly impressed by Zhang Yuxi in today's episodes. Specifically,

Spoiler

her reactions are spot on how a victim would react to that kind of trauma. I had to replay it multiple times to watch the details play out across her face. So good!

I skipped Intense Love because that's really not my cup of tea, but I would love to see more dramatic acting from this actress in the future. Also, if there are any fellow HC fans,

Spoiler

his reaction to MY and LL leaving the sect tells us that he is not without mercy--he definitely feels for them. There are quite a lot of reaction shots from him, which is the director trying to tell us that he's not heartless or 无情 (same characters for the unfeeling mantra). The way I read this is that he has deviated from his original god persona quite a lot already. Perhaps it's not a far cry to say that he has also deviated from his dao. Not only is he no longer neutral and acting only in the interest of the realms, but this 情 is going to blind him to any decision he makes. He's just oblivious to just how blinded he is.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

@Nat_93Is that the background story for Bailin Dijun? I also don't think that is the reason. The way I see it, i think it's kind of obsession, he believed he was the one who created her for the greater cause,  so he is the one who can control her. 

@pad-hari Oh no...next episode is gonna be a hell ride :bawling: Poor Si Feng, it should have been a happy occasion with XuanJi's dad finally approve their relationships, but alas...:bawling: What exactly did Si Feng's shifu tried to find? And why he only found out now?  

@gladiolii I also find it funny with HC & Tengshe, i think he does something to him :D We can always have Tengshe for ice breakers. I love that he likes Si Feng because he cooked him delicious foods, like master and pet, the way to get into their heart is by food :D

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, eclipse02 said:

@Nat_93Is that the background story for Bailin Dijun? I also don't think that is the reason. The way I see it, i think it's kind of obsession, he believed he was the one who created her for the greater cause,  so he is the one who can control her. 

@pad-hari Oh no...next episode is gonna be a hell ride :bawling: Poor Si Feng, it should have been a happy occasion with XuanJi's dad finally approve their relationships, but alas...:bawling: What exactly did Si Feng's shifu tried to find? And why he only found out now?  

@gladiolii I also find it funny with HC & Tengshe, i think he does something to him :D We can always have Tengshe for ice breakers. I love that he likes Si Feng because he cooked him delicious foods, like master and pet, the way to get into their heart is by food :D

I didn’t read the book, this is from the spoilers people gave from the book and Dijun backstory with Mosha. 

Spoiler

Dijun and Mosha actually were in love but Dijun tricked Mosha, divided it’s soul, made weapons off its limbs, and created the God of War with the other half and put a glass heart in it. I also pick the pieces the drama already gave, HC said he was betrayed before, Si Ming told Teng She the story of the lovers and in the first episode is explained that Mosha disappeared and after that the God of War surfaced. I don’t know if the drama will follow the book, but in the book XuanJi is both Mosha and the God of War.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Hide contents

Dijun and Mosha actually were in love but Dijun tricked Mosha, divided it’s soul, made weapons off its limbs, and created the God of War with the other half and put a glass heart in it. I also pick the pieces the drama already gave, HC said he was betrayed before, Si Ming told Teng She the story of the lovers and in the first episode is explained that Mosha disappeared and after that the God of War surfaced. I don’t know if the drama will follow the book, but in the book XuanJi is both Mosha and the God of War.

I also didn't read the book, but read similar spoilers. :sweatingbullets: The difference in what I read is:

Spoiler

According to the spoilers I read, Baidi was never in love with MSX--it was one-sided on MSX's part. Also taking into account that Baidi as HC is a drama only change, I'm guessing they'll change some aspects of the Baidi-MSX relationship for censorship purposes as well (since the actor for MSX is male). Also taking into account the short scene at the end of 28 where HC says "When I let you go that time, I shouldn't have done that. It was because I couldn't see your feelings that caused me to go through a love trial." I think if they deliberately gave him that line of dialogue (err, inner monologue?) that one-sided crush has a high chance of making the final cut. I still think the story SM told TS is mostly fabricated, but for what purpose? Does it serve the story aside from making SF jealous? We can only guess. The drama might still choose a completely different path though, but imo it would be hella random to introduce a random bride for Baidi at this point.

• Like 3

Oh boy if today’s episodes were heavy and eventful! I am so sad for LL and MY but at the same time happy to see that LL finally grew up and is no longer the spoiled princess of the first episodes, her acting was very touching. 

Thankfully we have the snake god to balance the sadness of these episodes, he looks amazing with the dark outfit and he is always so funny and extra xD 

My poor heart is already breaking for SF in the next episodes, we will have to wait three days to see him devastated again :bawling:

SF rap to relieve angst of the latest episodes :joy:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, gladiolii said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I also didn't read the book, but read similar spoilers. :sweatingbullets: The difference in what I read is:

Hide contents

According to the spoilers I read, Baidi was never in love with MSX--it was one-sided on MSX's part. Also taking into account that Baidi as HC is a drama only change, I'm guessing they'll change some aspects of the Baidi-MSX relationship for censorship purposes as well (since the actor for MSX is male). Also taking into account the short scene at the end of 28 where HC says "When I let you go that time, I shouldn't have done that. It was because I couldn't see your feelings that caused me to go through a love trial." I think if they deliberately gave him that line of dialogue (err, inner monologue?) that one-sided crush has a high chance of making the final cut. I still think the story SM told TS is mostly fabricated, but for what purpose? Does it serve the story aside from making SF jealous? We can only guess. The drama might still choose a completely different path though, but imo it would be hella random to introduce a random bride for Baidi at this point.

Spoiler

Yes, I agree with you that they will make some changes in HC and MSX relationship, probably make them only friends. I don't doubt Si Ming story, I think only something really big could make the God of War rebell like that, and if the God of War didn't love HC, why didn't kill him when she knew the truth? She was powerful enough to do that. And if HC didn't love her, why would he become a mortal to help her pass the trial? Why would Si Ming lie? He wouldn't make anyone jealous by telling that to Teng She. But the past is past, I think now she only loves Si Feng. HC will pay for his mistakes, no doubt it will have a sour taste.

• Like 1

I am not ready to watch next ep..:cry:

7 hours ago, Sweetisa said:

Oh boy if today’s episodes were heavy and eventful! I am so sad for LL and MY but at the same time happy to see that LL finally grew up and is no longer the spoiled princess of the first episodes, her acting was very touching. 

Thankfully we have the snake god to balance the sadness of these episodes, he looks amazing with the dark outfit and he is always so funny and extra xD 

My poor heart is already breaking for SF in the next episodes, we will have to wait three days to see him devastated again :bawling:

SF rap to relieve angst of the latest episodes :joy:

drop the beat :glasses:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Here I have got a big spoiler from Weibo.  I don't know if this is true.  Open only if u want to know.

Spoiler

Her name is lanlan.  It seems he will marry her before he marries Xuanji.  And this is a fake marriage.  But the girl is in love with our SF.

8P69ZZu.jpg

VLzdB2H.jpg

va6Vh8J.jpg

CsUWAA2.jpg

3 hours ago, pad-hari said:

Here I have got a big spoiler from Weibo.  I don't know if this is true.  Open only if u want to know.

Hide contents

Her name is lanlan.  It seems he will marry her before he marries Xuanji.  And this is a fake marriage.  But the girl is in love with our SF.

Brace ourselves, angst ahead.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I think the spoiler is true, but we'll have to find out when the episode comes out! I saw a bts/mv clip where XJ runs out bc she was sad SF was getting married. But she didn't know the marriage was fake.

Edited by Jillia
  • Like 1

Hide contents

:criesariver:NOOO

Edited by Jillia