[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Sleepless Princess 离人心上

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, dzareth said:

I kept thinking that the actress who played CY looks so familiar... After awhile, now I'm sure that she reminded me of Zhao Wei in her HZGG days! Both characters are cheeky, daring and somewhat foolish characters. And both of them have beautiful large eyes and cute smile. I hope we see more of the actress after this.

Yes, she looks like the younger Zhao Wei in the Pearl Princess drama back in the 90s.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@honeytime

Welcome! Even if the drama is ending soon there is plenty to discuss so feel free to join in. 

@angelflower

I've seen a clip of the barracks scene that @Jessica Vargas Rubio

Saw bts for, CY rushes to hug XY as he returns from somewhere. 

I hope that they wrap up the final confrontation/ reconciliationin the next episode,  and we get some bittersweet scenes of XY caring for CY as she sleeps AND at least a full episode of their reunion.

• Like 7

I don’t want it to end just yet I want to see more cute scenes :crybaby:

they need to bicker as husband and wife again 

I want to see him kick the door open and yell “Xu Chu Yue!!!” I want to see him grab her hand and tell her “gen wo hui jia” “it’s not up to you” “I’m you’re husband” then proceeds to carry her like a weightless sack of rice every time she doesn’t listen :please: 

I die watching smiling like an idiot

:bashful:

I’m going to miss this drama :sad1: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

@SC2019 Yeah I saw that bit in EP 32 as well; I think so too - that XY would have wanted them to be properly married before they have a physical relationship. I think that's what he meant by demeaning herself though - the bruise wasn't just a hickey (as he assumes) but based on what XC told him, proof of her having the physical relationship with XC - outside of marriage, in a drunken state (all this is what XC said). It's like she let herself go. 

@xiaoxf I loved the previous time when she ran to hug him as well - it's just such a simple, honest expression of her feelings, and it touches XY. Can't wait to see this one too!

It's hard to be motivated to do recaps for Episode 31 because it's just annoying watching NX getting her way (mostly) at the expense of our main couple. I'll try to see if I can be as succinct as possible LOL. At least SC2019 already recapped some of the main points, so you wouldn't miss the storyline. @Vivi123 Thanks for linking that video, that is helpful in getting us through :sweatingbullets: Also actually I don't mind getting to Ep 32.

Episode 31 Recap:

This episode starts with NX grooming herself for the wedding. Sigh. There's a little ridiculous bit with Ning Wang coming to express himself and getting kicked out by NX again. (I don't know why this storyline arc is still on - it doesn't seem like it would have any effect, unless something later does connect back to his infatuation with NX.) Then once he leaves, NN comes, unhappy on CY's behalf. They start fighting - then CY arrives.

(I actually mistranslated before - they didn't just want CY to officiate the wedding; NX asked for CY to be her female attendant - so CY is here to help get her ready :angry:) CY asks NN to leave because she doesn't want her getting hurt for her sake. NN reluctantly goes. NX tells CY to help comb her hair and choose her earrings. CY walks over and combs her hair, remarking that NX's headdress looks good on her. NX says that the principle "Legitimacy belongs to the victor" (the literal Chinese idiom is the winner becomes the king, the loser becomes the outlaw) applies everywhere. She says that they have the same tastes in men and in headdress; if CY remains so obedient, they could become friends (pfft. As if she understands the meaning of the word 'friend'.) CY takes her hand away.

When CY comes out, she sees NN sitting outside, crying. She asks if NN is crying because she's so upset on her behalf. She hugs NN, and NN says "I don't want to have friends anymore - why do I always have to cry for you?" Aww - that's a friend! CY says that she doesn't want to cry, because if she does, then it means she's lost. NN asks if she still hasn't given up on XY - CY says that everyone wants her to accept her fate; she refuses to do that. She wants to know if XY can really marry NX in front of her - if he does, then she'll bless him (ARRRGHHH). 

The wedding ceremony. CY sees XY standing there - she steels herself and walks out. Then it's the cut scene I previously translated - XY doesn't know that she was asked to be here and gets very shocked and upset. XY asks why she's here, and she says that she doesn't believe he would marry another woman so quickly even if he hates her. XY says that he doesn't joke around with such serious matters as marriage, and tells her to leave, "You're not needed here." CY responds, "I think it's you who doesn't need me." She continues - it's the full wedding scene from the cut clip. (such torture to watch this again...) CY takes deep breaths to compose herself. XY goes through the whole ceremony like a man heading to the gallows. 

CY watches them take their bows (the requirement is three bows - first to the heaven and earth, second to honour the parents, third to each other) with a bitter smile and tears, thinking of her own wedding. As they take the third bow, CY closes her eyes and remembers when XY fell on her and accidentally kissed her on their wedding bed. She opens her eyes and turns away - the ceremony is done. 

CY watches from afar as the King sends XY and NX off. NX turns around to speak to the King, and XY turns to look at CY, who gives him a smile through her tears. NX tells the King that she's written to her brother - Xi Zhao will have good ties with Nan Sang from now on, and they will develop the mine together. The King tells XY to treat NX well; XY asks what will happen to CY. He replies that since NX forgave her, all is fine, and he's approved XC's request to take her out of the palace. The King is happy, and hopes that the 300 workmen he's sent to Xi Zhao will find the precious metals, looking meaningfully at XY. XY promises not to let him down, and they take their leave. XY steals another glance at CY before leaving.

TY approaches with CY's cloak but can't bring herself to go near. XC says he can do it - and this is the conversation where TY says she can't face CY and will not follow them to leave the palace. XC puts the cloak on CY, and tells her to look for as long as she wants. CY lets her tears flow now, saying that it's her last time looking at him. XC doesn't want her to be sad, or to see her tears. He remarks that she still seems like the little girl who was bullied. CY says that she grew up unfavoured; she will be fine. XC agrees and says he will not let her be sad either.

NX waits on the bed while XY drinks in his study. The servant is sent to fetch XY. XY angrily heads to the bridal chamber. He tells NX, "I only came here to say this. Since all we had was a deal, there will be nothing else between us." He turns to leave but NX stops him. He says that he gave her the position she wanted (his wife), so what else did she want? She replies, "I want your heart. I want you to stay." (REALLY? She's almost as ridiculous as Ning Wang. *facepalms*) She grabs a little corner of his robe. "Tonight, I'm your wife." XY takes the robe off and leaves. 

NX follows him out while he ignores her. She finally pulls her sword and points it at him. He says, "That's enough. My patience with you has its limits." She retorts that she's the same, but he easily disarms her and holds the sword against her neck, "I won't always let you win." NX challenges him to kill her and start a war again; if they can't be husband and wife, they can be sinners of both countries. XY is briefly tempted, pressing the sword closer but then drops it, looking at her in contempt before leaving. NX looks at him leave, "XY, tonight was meant to be our wedding night." (If this is meant to invoke pity for her lol - I doubt any one of the audience cares.)

XY rides on his horse out into the town. He sees a palanquin - XC and CY are inside. CY has her eyes closed and leans on XC, feeling unwell. XC and XY's eyes meet as they pass by.

Breaking it up since this post is quite long. I obviously wasn't succinct HAHA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

51 minutes ago, angelflower said:

@SC2019 Yeah I saw that bit in EP 32 as well; I think so too - that XY would have wanted them to be properly married before they have a physical relationship. I think that's what he meant by demeaning herself though - the bruise wasn't just a hickey (as he assumes) but based on what XC told him, proof of her having the physical relationship with XC - outside of marriage, in a drunken state (all this is what XC said). It's like she let herself go. 

@xiaoxf I loved the previous time when she ran to hug him as well - it's just such a simple, honest expression of her feelings, and it touches XY. Can't wait to see this one too!

It's hard to be motivated to do recaps for Episode 31 because it's just annoying watching NX getting her way (mostly) at the expense of our main couple. I'll try to see if I can be as succinct as possible LOL. At least SC2019 already recapped some of the main points, so you wouldn't miss the storyline. @Vivi123 Thanks for linking that video, that is helpful in getting us through :sweatingbullets: Also actually I don't mind getting to Ep 32.

Episode 31 Recap:

Hide contents

This episode starts with NX grooming herself for the wedding. Sigh. There's a little ridiculous bit with Ning Wang coming to express himself and getting kicked out by NX again. (I don't know why this storyline arc is still on - it doesn't seem like it would have any effect, unless something later does connect back to his infatuation with NX.) Then once he leaves, NN comes, unhappy on CY's behalf. They start fighting - then CY arrives.

(I actually mistranslated before - they didn't just want CY to officiate the wedding; NX asked for CY to be her female attendant - so CY is here to help get her ready :angry:) CY asks NN to leave because she doesn't want her getting hurt for her sake. NN reluctantly goes. NX tells CY to help comb her hair and choose her earrings. CY walks over and combs her hair, remarking that NX's headdress looks good on her. NX says that the principle "Legitimacy belongs to the victor" (the literal Chinese idiom is the winner becomes the king, the loser becomes the outlaw) applies everywhere. She says that they have the same tastes in men and in headdress; if CY remains so obedient, they could become friends (pfft. As if she understands the meaning of the word 'friend'.) CY takes her hand away.

When CY comes out, she sees NN sitting outside, crying. She asks if NN is crying because she's so upset on her behalf. She hugs NN, and NN says "I don't want to have friends anymore - why do I always have to cry for you?" Aww - that's a friend! CY says that she doesn't want to cry, because if she does, then it means she's lost. NN asks if she still hasn't given up on XY - CY says that everyone wants her to accept her fate; she refuses to do that. She wants to know if XY can really marry NX in front of her - if he does, then she'll bless him (ARRRGHHH). 

The wedding ceremony. CY sees XY standing there - she steels herself and walks out. Then it's the cut scene I previously translated - XY doesn't know that she was asked to be here and gets very shocked and upset. XY asks why she's here, and she says that she doesn't believe he would marry another woman so quickly even if he hates her. XY says that he doesn't joke around with such serious matters as marriage, and tells her to leave, "You're not needed here." CY responds, "I think it's you who doesn't need me." She continues - it's the full wedding scene from the cut clip. (such torture to watch this again...) CY takes deep breaths to compose herself. XY goes through the whole ceremony like a man heading to the gallows. 

CY watches them take their bows (the requirement is three bows - first to the heaven and earth, second to honour the parents, third to each other) with a bitter smile and tears, thinking of her own wedding. As they take the third bow, CY closes her eyes and remembers when XY fell on her and accidentally kissed her on their wedding bed. She opens her eyes and turns away - the ceremony is done. 

CY watches from afar as the King sends XY and NX off. NX turns around to speak to the King, and XY turns to look at CY, who gives him a smile through her tears. NX tells the King that she's written to her brother - Xi Zhao will have good ties with Nan Sang from now on, and they will develop the mine together. The King tells XY to treat NX well; XY asks what will happen to CY. He replies that since NX forgave her, all is fine, and he's approved XC's request to take her out of the palace. The King is happy, and hopes that the 300 workmen he's sent to Xi Zhao will find the precious metals, looking meaningfully at XY. XY promises not to let him down, and they take their leave. XY steals another glance at CY before leaving.

TY approaches with CY's cloak but can't bring herself to go near. XC says he can do it - and this is the conversation where TY says she can't face CY and will not follow them to leave the palace. XC puts the cloak on CY, and tells her to look for as long as she wants. CY lets her tears flow now, saying that it's her last time looking at him. XC doesn't want her to be sad, or to see her tears. He remarks that she still seems like the little girl who was bullied. CY says that she grew up unfavoured; she will be fine. XC agrees and says he will not let her be sad either.

NX waits on the bed while XY drinks in his study. The servant is sent to fetch XY. XY angrily heads to the bridal chamber. He tells NX, "I only came here to say this. Since all we had was a deal, there will be nothing else between us." He turns to leave but NX stops him. He says that he gave her the position she wanted (his wife), so what else did she want? She replies, "I want your heart. I want you to stay." (REALLY? She's almost as ridiculous as Ning Wang. *facepalms*) She grabs a little corner of his robe. "Tonight, I'm your wife." XY takes the robe off and leaves. 

NX follows him out while he ignores her. She finally pulls her sword and points it at him. He says, "That's enough. My patience with you has its limits." She retorts that she's the same, but he easily disarms her and holds the sword against her neck, "I won't always let you win." NX challenges him to kill her and start a war again; if they can't be husband and wife, they can be sinners of both countries. XY is briefly tempted, pressing the sword closer but then drops it, looking at her in contempt before leaving. NX looks at him leave, "XY, tonight was meant to be our wedding night." (If this is meant to invoke pity for her lol - I doubt any one of the audience cares.)

XY rides on his horse out into the town. He sees a palanquin - XC and CY are inside. CY has her eyes closed and leans on XC, feeling unwell. XC and XY's eyes meet as they pass by.

Breaking it up since this post is quite long. I obviously wasn't succinct HAHA. 

CY was so composed during the whole time getting NX ready, she probably feels so much that she's numb, did anyone notice she didn't cry once at all during the wedding? She only let herself cry after XY and NX had left. That wedding scene, :bawling: Makes me cry every time I watch it, the looks that XY gives CY, and how dead he looks while completing the ceremony. NX is so pitiful, she is smug throughout the ceremony, but she doesn't realize she's the loser in this situation, no one could replace CY in XY's heart, even though she could have been the cause of his brother's death he still loves her. Watching XY watch CY give up on them was so heart wrenching, I didn't realize it before cause I was skipping around too much, but XY seemed so hopeless as he watches CY officiate.

@angelflower

Thank you for your wonderful recap, these episodes are hard to get through, and your recaps are always so detailed and accurate.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Episode 31 Recap (Part 2):

CY rests on the bed as XC brings her medicine - she had a fever. She sits up to drink it. CY thanks XC for what he's doing (for her). XC accepts it, and asks if she can promise him something - "Forget Xue Yao." CY looks down and doesn't say anything. XC remembers how his mother fell out of favour with the King, and waited her whole life. CY says she won't do that. 

XY is at the restaurant again, staring at nothing. He asks Mr Bai, "Do you think she'll be upset?" Mr Bai says that CY will surely understand his difficulties. A soldier delivers a message from Xi Zhao to XY - so they have confirmation of NX's actions. XY says that he will meet the King the next day.

CY is falling asleep while XC tries to stop her. Turns out the medicine earlier causes drowsiness because the physician didn't realise she wasn't supposed to sleep. He brings his child to help keep CY awake - which works like a charm (Haha I'm guessing parents of young children will surely relate). The child cries all night - XC eventually leaves CY to deal with it by herself. CY is bitten as she tries to calm the child. 

The next morning - DS is behind the screens where the King is. He has poisoned the King enough that he can control him like a puppet - using something like a voodoo doll. The Eunuch sees something weird happen to the King - DS (as the King) orders for CY to be called. But XY is waiting outside - DS has no choice but to let him in. XY shows what he found - NX and her brother were only using Nan Sang's military to stage a coup and grab power for themselves. He believes they will have greater ambition. DS-King says that he will think of the next step. This strikes XY as odd because the King had previously been anxious to make a move; they were only waiting for evidence. But the King wasn't making a move despite the evidence now. DS-King angrily asks if XY is dissatisfied, and XY is forced to leave. The Eunuch thinks it's strange too, but he's dismissed and asked again to bring CY.

CY and XC come to meet the King. XY sees them and stays outside, listening. DS-King proposes that CY move back to the Palace, which greatly alarms both CY and XC. DS-King also says that he wants CY to succeed her father's position as the Diviner, taking over DS's place. CY says that she can't do it, and XC asks for him to reconsider. DS-King refuses to listen and declares that CY will be the Diviner from now on. CY tries to protest, going on her knees. XY and XC are both thinking - then XC also kneels and says he has something to confess to the King.

It's the lie we know - XC says that he's already had a physical relationship (lit. husband and wife relations) with CY. That startles everyone - CY, XY and the King. The King angrily states that she is his sister, but XC argues that they're not related by blood. XC says that she's already divorced and so has reverted to merely a girl waiting to be given in marriage. The King says he doesn't believe it (XY who's listening outside balls his hands into fists). XC grabs CY's hand, despite her trying to protest, says, "I never dared to tell Sister (actually this is how he addresses CY) my feelings before. But last night was General Xue's wedding, and we had too much to drink, so..." He says that everything is his fault, but possibly, "at this moment, there is already a royal seed in Sister - your grandchild." XY is almost beside himself with agitation outside - and so is the King. The King's head hurts - DS is losing control over him - DS spits out blood - the King does the same. Everyone is alarmed - XC, CY, the Eunuch and XY check on the King while DS's disciple calls out to DS. In the confusion, CY hears the disciple, "Shifu!" and goes around to check. She sees the disciple and DS's back - she turns around and says, "Catch the intruder!" which causes XY to react - but then the disciple throws some powder at CY in order to escape (they left something behind). XY shields her from it but some of it gets into her eyes. CY winces and struggles with her eyes as XY looks at her worriedly. 

Back at XC's place, the physician dresses CY's eyes as she lays on the bed. The physician says it's fortunate that XY shielded her mouth and nose from the poison, which saved her life; but it did get into her eyes. Because they managed to clean it in time, she will not be permanently blinded. She needs to take medicine for half a month and observe a few conditions - she cannot stay up nights as she has always done, because the body recovers much better during the night. XC tells the physician to think of other ways since she can't do that, but XY says, "Alright, I will make sure she gets her sleep. Anything else?" The other condition is that she should avoid tears during this time. XC gets his turn, "If anyone makes her cry, I'll make him bleed", glaring sideways at XY. The physician is reassured and takes his leave.

XY approaches the bed but XC stops him, saying "She doesn't want to see you." XY counters, "If you want to let her sleep, then let me accompany her." XC wonders at his audacity, claiming that CY is now his. XY says, "Unable to control yourself, husband and wife relations - Do you think I'd believe such sensational royal scandals?" XC retorts, "It doesn't matter whether you believe it or not; those are the facts." He asks how XY can be here with another female while he's newly married (haha I have almost forgotten this up to this point). XY answers, "That's my household affairs. I can handle it. But CY is also my household affair." 

XC says, "You should wake up from your beautiful dream now, General. Try looking at the mark on Sister's neck. That is the sign of our love, proof that it was consensual. Since you're not going to see her often, try looking at it carefully, and then give up earlier." - End of Episode.

I'm off to bed now! Will do episode 32 tomorrow - actually quite looking forward to that one hehe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

12 minutes ago, angelflower said:

Episode 31 Recap (Part 2):

Hide contents

CY rests on the bed as XC brings her medicine - she had a fever. She sits up to drink it. CY thanks XC for what he's doing (for her). XC accepts it, and asks if she can promise him something - "Forget Xue Yao." CY looks down and doesn't say anything. XC remembers how his mother fell out of favour with the King, and waited her whole life. CY says she won't do that. 

XY is at the restaurant again, staring at nothing. He asks Mr Bai, "Do you think she'll be upset?" Mr Bai says that CY will surely understand his difficulties. A soldier delivers a message from Xi Zhao to XY - so they have confirmation of NX's actions. XY says that he will meet the King the next day.

CY is falling asleep while XC tries to stop her. Turns out the medicine earlier causes drowsiness because the physician didn't realise she wasn't supposed to sleep. He brings his child to help keep CY awake - which works like a charm (Haha I'm guessing parents of young children will surely relate). The child cries all night - XC eventually leaves CY to deal with it by herself. CY is bitten as she tries to calm the child. 

The next morning - DS is behind the screens where the King is. He has poisoned the King enough that he can control him like a puppet - using something like a voodoo doll. The Eunuch sees something weird happen to the King - DS (as the King) orders for CY to be called. But XY is waiting outside - DS has no choice but to let him in. XY shows what he found - NX and her brother were only using Nan Sang's military to stage a coup and grab power for themselves. He believes they will have greater ambition. DS-King says that he will think of the next step. This strikes XY as odd because the King had previously been anxious to make a move; they were only waiting for evidence. But the King wasn't making a move despite the evidence now. DS-King angrily asks if XY is dissatisfied, and XY is forced to leave. The Eunuch thinks it's strange too, but he's dismissed and asked again to bring CY.

CY and XC come to meet the King. XY sees them and stays outside, listening. DS-King proposes that CY move back to the Palace, which greatly alarms both CY and XC. DS-King also says that he wants CY to succeed her father's position as the Diviner, taking over DS's place. CY says that she can't do it, and XC asks for him to reconsider. DS-King refuses to listen and declares that CY will be the Diviner from now on. CY tries to protest, going on her knees. XY and XC are both thinking - then XC also kneels and says he has something to confess to the King.

It's the lie we know - XC says that he's already had a physical relationship (lit. husband and wife relations) with CY. That startles everyone - CY, XY and the King. The King angrily states that she is his sister, but XC argues that they're not related by blood. XC says that she's already divorced and so has reverted to merely a girl waiting to be given in marriage. The King says he doesn't believe it (XY who's listening outside balls his hands into fists). XC grabs CY's hand, despite her trying to protest, says, "I never dared to tell Sister (actually this is how he addresses CY) my feelings before. But last night was General Xue's wedding, and we had too much to drink, so..." He says that everything is his fault, but possibly, "at this moment, there is already a royal seed in Sister - your grandchild." XY is almost beside himself with agitation outside - and so is the King. The King's head hurts - DS is losing control over him - DS spits out blood - the King does the same. Everyone is alarmed - XC, CY, the Eunuch and XY check on the King while DS's disciple calls out to DS. In the confusion, CY hears the disciple, "Shifu!" and goes around to check. She sees the disciple and DS's back - she turns around and says, "Catch the intruder!" which causes XY to react - but then the disciple throws some powder at CY in order to escape (they left something behind). XY shields her from it but some of it gets into her eyes. CY winces and struggles with her eyes as XY looks at her worriedly. 

Back at XC's place, the physician dresses CY's eyes as she lays on the bed. The physician says it's fortunate that XY shielded her mouth and nose from the poison, which saved her life; but it did get into her eyes. Because they managed to clean it in time, she will not be permanently blinded. She needs to take medicine for half a month and observe a few conditions - she cannot stay up nights as she has always done, because the body recovers much better during the night. XC tells the physician to think of other ways since she can't do that, but XY says, "Alright, I will make sure she gets her sleep. Anything else?" The other condition is that she should avoid tears during this time. XC gets his turn, "If anyone makes her cry, I'll make him bleed", glaring sideways at XY. The physician is reassured and takes his leave.

XY approaches the bed but XC stops him, saying "She doesn't want to see you." XY counters, "If you want to let her sleep, then let me accompany her." XC wonders at his audacity, claiming that CY is now his. XY says, "Unable to control yourself, husband and wife relations - Do you think I'd believe such sensational royal scandals?" XC retorts, "It doesn't matter whether you believe it or not; those are the facts." He asks how XY can be here with another female while he's newly married (haha I have almost forgotten this up to this point). XY answers, "That's my household affairs. I can handle it. But CY is also my household affair." 

XC says, "You should wake up from your beautiful dream now, General. Try looking at the mark on Sister's neck. That is the sign of our love, proof that it was consensual. Since you're not going to see her often, try looking at it carefully, and then give up earlier." - End of Episode.

Not my favorite episode, but we get to see jealous possessive XY come out, which sometimes results in sweetness and sometimes results in him being a total jerk.

• Like 3

@angelflower thank you again, cant imagine watching SP without reading yours and @WinCee recaps.

The production staff should really amp up their subtitling department for international viewers, the subtitle on utube is a mess. Being very slow with subtitled is one thing, viewers could patiently wait, but after that long wait, some episodes the timing of the subtitles were off and in some they put on chinesse sub instead of english sub, and they left it like that for days.

• Like 6

thank you @suzy0604 @enzek @xiaoxf and everyone for the warm welcome!!!

I'm usually quiet anyway but when i have something to say I'll gather the courage to chime in and add to everyone's shared frustrations and squealing for our lovely couple xD

also, @angelflower thank you for the recap!!! i was a bit busier today but I'll definitely find time soon to read the recap for ep 31......ahhhh I'm so excited and also so sad lol but whatever I'm ready to get hurt!!!!!!! bring it on q__q

before i head to bed I'll leave this here for all the sleepless fans like me to enjoy >< goodnight from me!

"Sleep" ost, hu yi xuan and zheng ye cheng version 

Edited by honeytime
typo
  • Like 4