[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

November 18 2020

Teaser trailer #3 & poster for tvN drama series “Mr. Queen”

Mr_Queen-SI0001.jpg

Teaser trailer #3 and group poster added for tvN drama series “Mr. Queen” (English title) starring Shin Hye-Sun & Kim Jung-Hyun. The drama series previously had the early working English title of “No Touch Princess,” before the production company made the change to “Mr. Queen.”

Meanwhile, narration in teaser trailer #3 goes (0:11) Kim Jung-Hyun “March made in heaven,” (0:18) Kim Jung-Hyun “Even I have thought ten million times,” (0:23) Kim Jung-Hyun “I still am amazed every day,” (0:29) Kim Jung-Hyun “I’m sure that person,” (0:35) Shin Hye-Sun “Wow, will ginseng wine,” (0:39) Shin Hye-Sun “Oh yes,” (0:41) Kim Jung-Hyun “The person seems from another world,” (0:44) Shin Hye-Sun “What are you looking at?” Below is a group poster of the drama series and features Kim Jung-Hyun, Shin Hye-Sun, Bae Jong-Ok, and Kim Tae-Woo.

“Mr. Queen” first airs December 12, 2020 in South Korea.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: In the present day, Jang Bong-Hwan works as a chef at the President’s Blue House. He has a free spirit, but his spirit somehow finds its way into the body of Queen Kim So-Yong (Shin Hye-Sun) in the Joseon period.

King Cheoljong (Kim Jung-Hyun) has secrets. He seems like a figurehead, who is gentle and easygoing. In fact, he hides his strong aspects. Queen Sunwon (Bae Jong-Ok) is the late King Sunjo’s wife. She wields the true power in the country and, thus, relegates King Cheoljong as just a figurehead. Kim Jwa-Geun (Kim Tae-Woo) is Queen Sunwon’s younger brother. He is extremely ambitious.

• Like 2

Yay, about few weeks more! I'm so excited for this drama to air! 

Nowadays Korean dramas are full with psychological and thriller genre. Not that they're bad but I really miss some funny and sweet Korean romance drama too:relieved:

I hope there is no love triangle in here. I'm watching a Korean drama, Start-Up, after immersed myself with tons of Japanese, Chinese and Thailand dramas and oh man, the love triangle between Nam Joo Hyuk (Main Male Lead), Bae Suzy (Main Female Lead) and Kim Seon Ho (Second Male Lead) in the drama is tiring me up.

The shipwars between team Dal Mi/DoSan and Dal Mi/Ji Pyung in the comments or discussion on MyDramaList, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit and others places are kind of amusing and entertaining though LOL

I'm okay if there some scenes of supporting or extra characters that make the main characters jealous to add the fun but please no love triangle with the pitiful second male lead that selflessly helping the main female lead while secretly in love with her and then the love triangle part between the main male lead, main female lead and second male lead become almost the entire focus in the drama ughhh:expressionless:

I want to watch the romance development between the main male lead and main female lead here while swooning, giggling and gushing whether in a sweet or sad scenes without the tiring love triangle. Pleasee!:bawling:

Btw, if you watch one of the recent trailer it show the main male lead duality character. He pretend to be a dumb king in front of the officials but looks mysterious behind the scene.

Translation: (credit to erisintrouble & 이자연 in the comment)

Scene opens with the king holding a document written by a courtier. He is holding it upside down to pretend that he can't read it. 

King (Kim Jung Hyun):What you mean is exactly same with mine. Do it as you want.

[strange in the day and suspicious by night]

Queen (Shin Hye Sun):What is he up to? this punk is f***ing suspicious

Kim Jung Hyun is so hot in black costume!:wub:

credit to Netizen Drama on twitter

• Like 4

It’s a match made in heaven in new Queen Cheorin teaser

by tineybeanie

qcheoalc0.jpg

The third teaser for tvN’s fusion sageuk-comedy drama Queen Cheorin has been released. It features its two leads with Shin Hye-sun (Angel’s Last Mission: Love) playing the titular queen and Kim Jung-hyun (Crash Landing on You) as her two-faced husband and the King Cheoljong of Joseon

When an unfortunate accident occurs, a blustering chef in the 21st century somehow travels through time and wakes up in the body of the Joseon-era Queen Cheorin. The recently released teaser shows a snapshot of the comedic hijinks that ensue when the queen’s body is overtaken by the male chef’s soul, unbeknownst to her king.

From across the hallway, King Cheoljong notices Queen Cheorin coming toward him. She begins running in his direction, and her attendants gasp in shock at their queen’s sudden lack of decorum and call out to stop her. Shin Hye-sun runs right through the onscreen copy which says: “A match made in heaven.”

Believing that her actions are due to her eagerness to see him, King Cheoljong blushes bright red and shyly opens his arms to receive her. She also opens her arms wide, as he narrates: “A match made in heaven. Even after thinking it over a ten million times, I’m always surprised. She is definitely…”

However, he trails off as she brushes right past him to grab the bottle of wine being carried by one of his maids. She exclaims with excitement, and gives her thumbs-up for the alcohol: “Wild ginseng wine, oh yeah!” King Cheoljong’s expression falters, and he finishes his thought internally: “… something from another world?” Queen Cheorin gives him a light punch, as she impertinently says, “What are you staring at?” In the last sound bite, Queen Cheorin’s lady-in-waiting whispers, “Your Majesty, you can’t…”

Though both Queen Cheorin and King Cheoljong were real figures in Korean history, it seems pretty obvious that there will be lots of creative liberties taken when it comes to history versus drama. They lived during a period full of intrigue, scheming, and sad events, so it will be interesting to see what makes it from real life onto the small screen.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/11/its-a-match-made-in-heaven-in-new-queen-cheorin-teaser/

• Like 4

Watch: Kim Jung Hyun Turns Into Two-Faced King With Mysterious Secret In “Mr. Queen”

Nov 20, 2020
by L. Kim
fbfaee3d4c404fe3aff14f813e359f49.jpeg?s=

tvN’s upcoming drama “Mr. Queen” has released a new teaser!

“Mr. Queen” is a historical fusion drama about a man from modern times whose soul gets trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon dynasty.

Shin Hye Sun stars as Kim So Yong, the queen with the soul of Jang Bong Hwan trapped inside her. Kim Jung Hyun takes the role of King Cheoljong, who seems like a weak and ineffective king but has a sharp and strong-willed side that he keeps hidden.

The trailer starts with King Cheoljong sitting at his throne. He stares at the public appeal, which is upside down, with lazy and confused eyes. The room is thick with silence, and his royal court holds their breath as they await his decision. King Cheoljong declares, “Do as you please. That is what I want,” and the government officials can’t hold in their pleased smiles.

However, everything changes at night. His eyes grow sharp, and he is no longer a clueless puppet king. His expression is solemn with charisma, and he deftly whishes out his sword with a determined glint in his eyes. The only one who knows this side of him is Kim So Yong. She watches him with distrustful eyes and comments, “Geez, he’s one suspicious dude.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1439063wpp/watch-kim-jung-hyun-turns-into-two-faced-king-with-mysterious-secret-in-mr-queen

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Shin Hye Sun Transforms Into Eccentric Queen For Upcoming Drama “Mr. Queen”

Nov 25, 2020
by L. Kim
dff370cb2fbd48b0bfb3ad78fd19e73c.jpeg?s=

tvN’s new drama “Mr. Queen” has released a new glimpse of Shin Hye Sun in her starring role!

“Mr. Queen” is a historical fusion drama about a man from modern times whose soul gets trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon dynasty.

Shin Hye Sun stars as Kim So Yong, the queen with the soul of Jang Bong Hwan trapped inside her. Kim Jung Hyun takes the role of King Cheoljong, who seems like a weak and ineffective king but has a sharp and strong-willed side that he keeps hidden.

In the newly released stills, Shin Hye Sun turns into Kim So Yong, a character who is in the wrong body at the wrong time period. She is no ordinary queen, and she isn’t afraid to hide her true self. Her eyes are bold with modern-day charisma, and she does various odd things that raises eyebrows.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1440025wpp/shin-hye-sun-transforms-into-eccentric-queen-for-upcoming-drama-mr-queen

• Like 3
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, aisling said:

Oh no, does it mean the drama will be postponed? I was so looking forward to it! How many episodes do you think they already filmed?

I don't think they will postpone the premiere of the drama. KJH had an Instagram Live  session around Oct. 25, 2020 and said that they were halfway through filming at that point and the drama was scheduled to wrap in December 2020.  That was a month ago, so I think they are probably 70-75% through filming before having to halt. If the production team was already halfway through filming as of Oct 25, then they have definitely finished filming through Ep. 10 by now for sure.  I'm not sure what the filming schedule is like these days with the COVID rules.  If they are filming 1 episode a week, then they are probably working on Ep. 14 before the shutdown.  I would think that they probably have the first half of the drama finished in post production and ready for broadcast so that gives them a pretty good cushion to work on the last 10 episodes. 

• Like 3

On 11/13/2020 at 9:47 AM, immorethant said:

@sw33tm3lody agreed with you :)

Personal opinion I think the news that this drama was from the original 'Go Princess Go' may give some misleading ideas and too much worried about the sexual aspect. 

Instead of using the word 'remake' , I think it should be more considered as an 'adaptation of' or 'inspired by' the original drama.  I have confidence that this Korean version will be much better and it will not much focus on sexual elements, instead it will give a feeling of 'cute+funny' rather than 'sexy+disgusting' like some fans are being worried. The reason I can think of are

• The character of the modern man whose soul was trapped in Queen's body.  The Korean version change the role from a playboy to a Blue House's chef.  So I think rather than spending time chasing court ladies like the original, we may see more of cooking scenes from So-Yong. And don't forget Kim In-Kwon will play the role of Royal chef, there must be funny scenes of him bickering with So-Yong about cooking. 
  • They also change the role of the Queen's maid from young lady to middle age Sanggung. From the teaser we can see that this gave us more feeling of funny/comdey rather than sexy role like the original. So we may not see much of flirting scene between So-Yong and her maid ladies.
  • The way they use real historical figures and actual time in this drama instead of just making up like some drama (e.g. 'Kingdom') . I think it's a hint that the story will be also about the political conflict and there will be more serious part.
  • The writer's name. I don't think the famous writer like him will throw away his reputation by writing the absurd comedy. 
  • The production team of tvN, Studio dragon, YG compared to low-budget original drama. As we saw lots of leaked shooting photo earlier, the production teams travelled to many places to shoot this drama. They spent 8 months shooting from Spring, Summer to Autumn, so we can surely see lots of beautiful scenes from different seasons. And the costumes, from the teaser, wow...the queen's hanbok is very beautiful. 
  • This drama will be aired internatinally , not like the original that was internet/web drama. So the content can't be focus to much on sexual or dirty scenes.
  • And the most important reason is the actors.  If the script is not good, why those good actors agreed to be in this drama ? And why will tvN make it 20 episodes if the drama story just telling about sexual or BL scenes ?

From all above points, so now I'm more than ready to watch this drama.

Fighting 'No Touch Princess'

:hwaiting:

Thank you for message! I'm also feeling quite nervous about those articles but so excited for this drama. Now I'm also more than ready to watch and support this drama. "No Touch Princess", fighting!!!!!

• Like 3

Kim Jung Hyun Talks About His Multifaceted Character And Acting In Historical Fusion Drama “Mr. Queen”

e37501baed31491d8b56d7709b8a81db.jpeg?s=

Nov 27, 2020
by M. Kang

tvN’s new Saturday-Sunday drama “Mr. Queen” revealed new glimpses of Kim Jung Hyun’s character!

“Mr. Queen” is a historical fusion drama about a man from modern times whose soul gets trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon dynasty. Shin Hye Sun takes the role of Kim So Yong, the queen with the soul of Jang Bong Hwan trapped inside her. Kim Jung Hyun plays King Cheoljong, who seems like a weak and ineffective king but has a sharp and strong-willed side that he keeps hidden.

The newly released photos show King Cheoljong reading among the cherry blossoms with perfect posture. Then for an unknown reason, he is up and ready to take on a fight. However, his awkward stance doesn’t make him seem like a big threat.

But at night, his playful side is nowhere to be seen. Instead, he has a stone-cold expression and creates a sense of tension. There is much to be uncovered about his true self and why he continues to keep this act up.

Regarding the series, Kim Jung Hyun commented, “It was interesting idea for a modern day man to find himself in the body of a Joseon dynasty queen.” On his character, he said, “King Cheoljong is someone who is both naive and cool-headed.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1440577wpp/kim-jung-hyun-talks-about-his-multifaceted-character-and-acting-in-historical-fusion-drama-mr-queen

• Like 3

Wikipedia is not the place for 100% accurate information but at least it give us rough summary about about King Cheoljong (Kim Jung Hyun's character) in real history.

Cheoljong of Joseon

Cheoljong of Joseon (25 July 1831 – 16 January 1864) was the 25th king of the Joseon Dynasty of Korea. He was a second cousin to the heirless Heonjong of Joseon, as well as a great-great grandson of Yeongjo of Joseon.

Early life

He was born as the 3rd and youngest son of Yi Gwang, Prince Jeon'gye-gun (who died in 14 December 1841), and his 1st concubine Lady Yeom, in Ganghwa. His name was originally Yi Won-beom (이원범), but upon ascending the throne his name was legally changed to Yi Byeon (이변) (or Seong).

In 1841, the 10th year of King Heonjong's reign, seeking to take advantage of Heonjong's lack of heirs, Min Jin-yong (of the Noron faction), Lee Won-deok, Park Sun-su and others secretly conspired a rebellion to enthrone Yi Won-gyeong, Yi Gwang's firstborn son as well as only legitimate child, as the next king. However, Min Jin-yong's rebellion was exposed and along with Yi Won-gyeong were executed. By dint of guilt by association, Yi Won-gyeong's half brothers Yi Gyeong-eung and Yi Won-beom were exiled to Ganghwa.

Background

At the beginning of the 19th century, the Andong Kim clan, who had provided the Joseon state with several queens, had seized power almost everywhere in Korea. The social stagnation that resulted was a breeding ground for unrest. Corruption and embezzlement from the treasury and its inevitable exploitation were taken to extreme levels, and reached staggering proportions. One rebellion after another was accompanied by natural disasters.

The only aim of the Andong Kim clan was the preservation of their influence. Their fierce campaign to dominate the royal house had led to a situation in which almost all of the representatives of the royal family fled from Seoul. When the royal family produced intelligent and appropriate candidates for the accession, they were either accused of treason and executed or sent into exile, so when Heonjong died, leaving no son, no acceptable candidate could be found to succeed to the throne.

Reign

Cheoljong ascended to the throne in 1849 at the age of 19 after King Heonjong died without an heir. As a distant relative of both the recently deceased king as well as a descendant of King Yeongjo, Cheoljong was selected for adoption by the Senior Dowager Queen (King Sunjo's widow) at the time and to allow him to ascend to the throne. The future Cheoljong was found on Ganghwa Island where his family had been in exile since the Catholic Persecution of 1801.

When the envoys (dispatched in order to seek for the future king) arrived on Ganghwa Island, they found the exiled remnants of the royal clan barely surviving in wretched poverty, and in the midst of that degradation, 19-year old Yi Won-beom was proclaimed King. Though from the start of the Joseon Dynasty Korean kings had given top priority to the education of their sons, Cheoljong could not even read a single word on the notice delivering congratulations to him on his elevation to the royal throne.

For the Andong Kims, Cheoljong was an excellent choice. His illiteracy made him manipulable and vulnerable to their control. Proof of this was that even though Cheoljong ruled the country for 13 years, until his very last days he had not yet learned how to move with dignity or how to wear royal clothes, so that in even the most luxurious of robes he still looked like a fisherman.

Spongebob Squarepants Laughing GIF

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

As part of the Andong Kim's manipulation of Cheoljong, in 1851, the clan married Cheoljong to Kim Mun-geun's daughter, known posthumously as Queen Cheor'in.

Death

Cheoljong died at the age of 32 in 16 January 1864 (by suspected foul play by the Andong Kim clan, the same clan which made him king), without any surviving male heirs. Once again, it became necessary to search far back in the Yi lineage to find a candidate for the throne.

Portrait of King Cheoljong
Painted in 1861, this is the only surviving royal portrait depicting King Cheoljong's physical appearance, as well as Joseon-era royal military attire; partly damaged during the Second Fire of Yongdusan, Busan during the early hours of 26 December 1954.

220px-Cheoljong2.jpg

All info credit to wikipedia.

• Like 3