[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

40 minutes ago, mushforbrains said:

Call me a romantic but I’d like to think that soyong exists in the time when she goes to the king to ask him to save damhyang( much like herself in her youth) and of course during sexy times... since bonghwan always wakes up shocked... so technically the king is falling in love with soyong as well...

thats how I’m going to reconcile it in my mind...

I don’t think Kim So Yong even knew Dam Hyang. Didn’t So Bong meet DH for the first time when she entered the kitchen? Kim So Yong probably never put her foot in the royal kitchen.

We still don’t know where So Yong’s soul is. This drama is very different from other “souls swap” dramas because it has showed us only one soul, we don’t know what happened to the other.

At this point when there are only six episodes left I can only see two logical explanations:

1) Jang Bong Hwan is the reincarnation of Kim So Yong. Souls have no gender. You can be born as a woman in this life, but as a man in the next one. What matters is the soul inside. Thus in the future timeline the chef’s body was dying (his head was bleeding), but in the past the queen’s body didn’t sustain any serious injuries. Because of those two incidents happening at the same moment, the soul slipped into a less injured body in order to live on (the chef wanted to live on desperately). 

Of course this is only a fantasy drama but the writers ought to make rules that are narratively acceptable! This is why some dramas are masterpieces while other garbages. If the writers can’t convey their messages or can’t explain logically why things are happening as they’re happening, then the majority of audience will be confused or unsatisfied.

There must be a connection between Jang Bong Hwan and Kim So Yong. Must be. You can’t randomly put one soul to someone’s body without any explanation, there is ALWAYS some kind of bond. WHY it was Jang Bong Hwan and not any other soul that got the chance to live on? And why the soul slipped into Kim So Yong’s body? Why not any other body? Also WHY would the writer elaborate Kim So Yong’s background and childhood connection with Cheoljong if she wasn’t important? The only logical explanation would be that JBH and KSY are the same soul. The Joseon queen and the 21st century chef are the same soul and regardless the gender they both fell for Cheoljong. That’s the poetic stuff Koreans love, don’t they?

There was a talk about reincarnation and alternative universes in one of the episodes.

E7eS0Bd.jpg

aUPKK0q.jpg

2) The other explanation that makes less sense but might work with some smart writing is this: Jang Bong Hwan was supposed to be born as a woman originally. But because of some circumstances JBH was born as a man. There was this moment that made me think of this explanation:

tz7j3ip.jpg

Personally I don’t find this explanation satisfactory, but it’s still better than pushing Jang Bong Hwan out of the whole story and make Kim So Yong came back to reap the harvest of Jang Bong Hwan’s work! That would make NO SENSE. Jang Bong Hwan is the main character of this story and if Kim So Yong came back for the last episode to live happily ever after with Cheoljong, then Mr Queen would be the last drama the writers would ever write because no one would hire them again.

• Like 14
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 7

Tbh, I am totally clueless in how the way they will give us a satisfactory explanation regarding JBH/KSY. But one thing I am 90% sure, KSY won’t be back because she’s positively dead in the bottom of the lake. She chose that path and there’s no turning back. In last week episodes, the drama made it clear that it was JBH the whole time, KSY never took over even once. The thought of KSY took over is only JBH’s wishful thinking in order to deny his own feelings. 

KSY and JBH is a totally different person. CheolJong falls for JBH NOT KSY. KSY is a Joseon era woman who won’t be as outrageous and brazen as JBH. She was bred for the throne. CheolJong attracted to JBH’s personality in KSY’s body. IF she does comes back, CheolJong will grows cold.

The only time we were given information about KSY as a person was when JBH asked her maid and her replied was basically telling us that KSY was an arrogant proud noble woman who won’t hesitate to flogged and killed those whose offended her in the slightest. Just like Kim Clan in general.

• Like 15

I’ve been hyping Mr Queen on Twitter that I forgot to post here about Ep13 & Ep14. 
We’re are back to romcom genre hahaha. This drama rollercoaster emotion is just amazing, actually my heart cannot handle it anymore! in a good way! EHEK

Can we conclude for now Ep14 is the best episode ever hahaha!!!! 

Wanna point out Jang So Yong ornament on next preview (pfffttt) for Ep15.

*isn’t it too much HAHA but we don’t know her intention ! Well, Soyong look sexy and fierce with that black hanbok and red lipstick. Totally ready to fight with someone LOL!

Soyong looks so powerful here! Her head full of ornament is the main MVP hahaha

26-FC128-A-6609-4-E1-F-86-AF-BB1-B1-DEE9   

Her eyeliner tho, her eyes is getting sharpen hahaha

83-D821-ED-2986-46-DB-A9-D8-EB2559-ABEBC

Finally, we gonna see Sobong and Cheoljong unite and achieved mutual understanding (well we know they freaking LOVE each other) no doubt about this.

and Cheoljong saying that we are not doing “no touching” anymore.. ok I see you Cheoljongiee.

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

That little girl was a show stealer today! She is so adorable. My heart shattered into pieces when they evil clan members were out to punish her and were baying for her blood! How low will they stoop for power and to fulfill their greed? I hope the alliance between the King and the Queen sets things right. The corruption has gone for too long. These evil men make my blood boil!:rage: They have no loyalty. They are just guided by their ambition and greed, their unquenchable thirst for power. Kim Jwa-geun is such a snake! Nothing seems to debilitate him! :rage:Taking out his anger on the Queen and then on an innocent child! You'd rot in Hell, mister! :rage:

Another scene that stuck with me was how the King readily embraced the Queen near the lake. No hesitation unlike the one he experienced while Hwa Jin embraced him. He seemed hesitant to return her embrace. But while embracing the Queen, I love how he readily embraces her, although our mad hat Queen held herself back, quite resolutely IMO.  Also, is it just my imagination or did the King really look crestfallen when our Queen told him that she could/ would never forgive him? I just want the Queen to return the King's embrace. I think that would be a big thing as it would imply acceptance on part of the Queen.

Finally, I loved to see how the subtle gesture on part of the Queen affected our King so much. When she took his hands in hers and begged him to save the life of that little girl. I loved how the camera zoomed to their entwined hands. The King seemed to find the Queen's reliance on him , the way she put her trust in him to safe the child, made my heart swoon. Though she was probably unaware of the effect that small gesture had on him, it seemed to fill our King with hope. I think every husband wants his wife to rely on him and The Queen did so quite unknowingly, putting her trust in her husband to save the child. I thought it was a heart-touching moment.

I am little worried about the courtier plan to prove the King to be incompetent and set up a Defense Council to control him. Does not forebode well for our King. And lastly, what is Byeong-in plan when he realizes that snake of his adopted father tried to kill the love of his life. Will he come to senses and stand united with the King or will he continue with his misguided plans of 'protecting' the Queen from the King. (You have started to exasperate me, Byeong-in. He's is one of those men who you think would make amazing boyfriends but after dating him for sometime, they start to exasperate you ):lol::crazy::P

P.S. Thank you all for the GIFs and images, especially of His Royal Hotness in Black! When he is looking like that, how can you not be seduced? Yes, I am very shallow. :tears: He looks super dashing in everything. No wonder the Queen is having a tough time  controlling her 'tigress' urges. I love how KJH makes those transitions from those puppy eyes, chasing his Queen, absolutely smitten by her hot and cold behaviour to dishing out justice and teaching those evil courtiers a lesson. (That's the secret mantra, I believe. Keeping them guessing.:D Then there is never a dull moment. )

Looking forward to the seduction.

Thank you @kdramagrandma, @aisling and @enzek for enlightening me. My heartfelt gratitude to @cenchingfor asking such a life-changing question. It didn't even strike me till you asked for your friend. Khamsamnida chingus!

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Masterclass acting by our king, Kim Jung Hyun. Did you guys notice how his eyes welled up with tears slightly during this sentence? He was holding up and didn’t want to show his weakness in front of the servants.

spacer.png

But when So Bong reminded him of how he treated her on the night of the lake incident, he felt so guilty and pained by his own actions. The way he’s trying not to cry openly is even more impressive. This man is crazily talented.

• Like 16
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, aisling said:

But when So Bong reminded him of how he treated her on the night of the lake incident, he felt so guilty and pained by his own actions. The way he’s trying not to cry openly is even more impressive. This man is crazily talented.

@aislingIndeed he’s one of the excellent actor out there. Kim Jung Hyun eyes is so expressive that you can know what his feeling and emotion, he trying to show to audience like freaking smooth. 

Not to mention they way he controlled his voice to match with the situation not just as whole but the details of each word coming out from his mouth is so amazing.

I really amazed by his acting like REALLY!!!

He’s on par with Shin Hye Sun that why they are being paired as main lead.

They deserved all the praise. Thumbs up!

I know I’m not the only one want both of them to work again but in different timeline. 
It will surely BLOW UP!celebrity big brother hands GIF

1 hour ago, enzek said:

Translation of the director and both screenwriter praise to our excellent Queen and King:wub:

@enzek awwww, both director and screenwriter really satisfied with them, Kim Jung Hyun and Shin Hye Sun really bring up the character to the NEXT LEVEL!! Trustworthy actor and actress!!

• Like 7

Meanwhile on reddit

Spoiler

Screenshot-20210125-062324-Reddit.jpg

I can't agree more. :joy: I do think Seol In-ah does a pretty good job, but her role is limited in terms of character growth. What I have seen so far is a girl who could not stand the presence of Kim So Young. Hwa Jin has been living as a shadow of So Young since she was a kid. She does not earn the Concubine title by herself either. Her current position is because Cheoljong keeps thinking she saved him from the well. She neither loves Cheoljong that much as she claims. Let me put it differently. She loves Cheoljong because he is the King, not Cheoljong as a person. With such hatred towards So Young, I expect a more intensive move from Hwa Jin, rather than giving the book to Jo Daebi or just saying "I suppose now you understand how I feel". Oh, come on gurl!  :no_mouth:

I will be satisfied if Byeong-In is the one to reveal the truth that it was So Young who saved Cheoljong, not Hwa Jin. It will be objective enough for Cheoljong to ignore any excuse from Hwa Jin. :lol:

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

I've been trying to catch with all the posts that I ended up quoting several of them.  ...I've cut them for space and inserted my 2 cents in the colored text...well here goes...

19 hours ago, aisling said:

But what struck me most in this episode was the reason Bo Song thought to herself when she rejected Cheoljong.

***"I'm not Kim So Yong ... I can't do this.."...***

Can anybody tell me what So Bong meant by this? She can’t love Cheoljong back because she’s a man or because she feels guilty by taking So Yong’s place? I’m very intrigued by this!

My guess is - he meant that he, BH , doesn't have the depth of feelings that SY had for CJ (at least as far as he is currently aware of), as well as the background and political knowledge that SY had, so he couldn't be the "queen" CJ needs..  Accepting CJ's feelings means accepting being the King's true partner, so he needs to do his duties as a queen and not just play around the palace.  It also means he has to finally choose CJ's side, exposing him to more danger. And we all know how BH values his own survival above all else.

It might also mean that he' s not as forgiving as SY was.  So it's hard for him to forgive CJ's actions against SY.  He has already forgotten CJ trying to kill him.

He said the SY died that night in the lake but it's like he's calling out those people who did her wrong - CJ, her father, and I'm hoping the dowager queens too...

I’m actually surprised So Bong admitted it to herself that she liked it with Cheoljong. She even said she liked it more than before. The way I see it she basically admitted that sex in a woman’s body with a man she was insanely attracted to was better than all the sex Jang Bong Hwan had with women. If anybody still think that Kim So Yong took over the body at that moment, I hope this is a proof that So Bong was still very much conscious.

It might be that it was better because feelings were involved on both sides?  I get the sense he mostly had flings before...I wonder if that short flashback where he saw HY's face morph into CJ's is true.  Did he actually see that it was CJ he did it with?  If so, I'm relieved. 

Alcohol lowers inhibitions so it would have been easier to just accept it and go with the flow..As he's said, it felt good and BH never seemed to have that much self control to deprive himself of pleasure anyway LOL.

I think the main problem won’t be So Bong’s sexuality crisis but the issue with their identity. It’s one thing to admit that you’re attracted to a man, but living like someone else for the rest of your life is something bigger. I think So Bong feels like a fraud, that’s why she can’t accept Cheoljong’s feelings for her.

Good point

19 hours ago, poopytubby said:

i think sobong is feeling guilty for having feelings for cheoljong. the thing is i don't think she/he/they have it completely down what their identity is yet. they don't know if soyong is going to return completely, and if soyong returns what is she gonna do when she finds out the king is in love with not really her?

Identity is a big issue in this series especially with BH, SY, and CJ but in different ways.

As we saw in the flashback, SY losing track of her identity and purpose in life played a part in pushing her towards suicide, along with the threats and CJ's disregard for her. BI kissing her might have been the last straw. She realized how truly helpless and powerless she was as pointed out by KGJ. She started to question why she's actually trying to be queen.  Since CJ openly hated her, she had even less reason to be suffering  just to be queen.

She wasn't willing to play the dirty political games and she was wise enough to realize that she could only help CJ and herself if they cared for each other and worked together. But CJ rejecting her that night made that plan useless.

So she was lost, didn't know why she was where she was, found that what she believed were all lies, told to her and told to herself.  She didn't know how to get out except by jumping into the lake. She took herself out of the game so at least she wouldn't be used as a pawn anymore.

BH has repeatedly said in his monologues to himself that he felt like he was losing himself.  It was funny, yet quite sad, when he was looking at his name on that rock asking if this was how JBH disappears or ends.  He has to constantly question if his actions are prompted by the memories , or even the hormones floating around in the female body he's inhabiting. Or were they really his own and he just needs to realize and accept it? 

In a way, this situation he landed in is demanding that he change -  adapt to the circumstances and change his usual mode of operating.  He needs to redefine  his identity.

He can no longer just keep his head low and do as little as possible to get by.  He needs to get involved and use his abilities and knowledge (he has an insider knowledge from history!) to navigate the palace.  At some point, getting by will not be enough, as we can see when they still tried to kill him even if he didn't do anything and even agreed to their scheme of spying on the king.

He needs to partly let go of his identity as a person from the 21st century who still has  chance to go back and accept his identity as the Queen in Joseon, in a deeper way. He has to take those reins as CJ has, and wield that authority, accept the duty.

Even if he's aware that there are deadly machinations going on, he still isn't as wary of the danger and suspicious enough of people's motives and actions as he should. Although he knows that the great dowager queen is capable of bad things, I don't think he realized just how bad they all are, so he wasn't guarded enough.. I hope that the assassination attempt and them using DH as a scapegoat finally wakes him up to the very real danger closing in.

CJ has been playing the puppet king while he waits to show his true identity of a strong, intelligent, compassionate king.

He is the one who was able to hold on to his core identity even against all the pretending, the threats and pressure form all the forces against him. He has a solid grasp of who he is, what his principles are, what lines he will not cross.

11 hours ago, shimshimae said:

I absolutely love So Bong for being so forward about her passion - she seems to have a thing for the king's neck - she grabbed it several times during their epic make-out session as well. 

That is probably the alpha male coming out LOL.  So he takes the initiative as he did in the past, even if he was  with a guy.  He is lucky that CJ at this point, has stopped trying to get him to conform to the usual behavior of a joseon noble lady  and now actually likes the queen's quirks.

Cheoljong is my favourite character in this drama so far (So Bong is So Bong lol) - the way his character unfolded is just a joy to watch - he has a very very tragic situation with little to no power - he is someone who should be rightly paranoid and easy to control like how the evil JG predicted but he outgrows his fears and nightmares - he refuses to be a victim and tries his best to fight his way out. He is also very true to his own feelings as well as his cause - I really like how there's no unnecessary drama (at least till now) - about his "torn" feeling for the queen and the concubine - he's already made peace with the fact that so strong are his feelings for So Bong that no past love can compare or come nearer to them. I think part of this is because (like I mentioned in my earlier posts) Cheoljong feels free and alive whenever he's with So Bong - with everyone else there's always something "expected" from him. With the queen, it's just his own interest in figuring out who she is as a person (once he figured out she's no longer a threat). 

CJ is also my favorite character because he has the best growth arc so far. Plus, I always like rooting for the worthy underdog..  We can easily trace how he started from being the cold guy who was closed off from the queen bec of his prejudices against the Kims, and see how he got shaken out of his preconceptions by the out of the box shenanigans of the queen.  He was smart and wise enough to pay attention and draw the right conclusions instead of letting his cynicism and prejudices dominate, as Prince YP does.  He sincerely tried to understand her. And he understood her situation enough not to demand that she be actively on his side, it was enough to just not be his enemy.  He knew it's a tall order to go against her clan and it would put her in danger.  He usually would rather take the risks himself than have other people do it. 

I like that he is rational and able to think his way through logically and keeps his cool (except when it comes to his queen). It's been interesting to watch him try to keep up and even stay ahead of all the forces against him. His observation, analytical skills and savvy have enabled him to predict how the factions will react so he can stay a step ahead. 

But I wonder how long he can keep this up, he needs to solidify his power and break up the power of the clans while they're still in surprise.  They're already regrouping and they showed that both clans can work together against a common enemy if it is in their own selfish interests.

CJ's characterization has layers, the more serious political fight for his life , as well as the more pleasant development of his relationship with the queen.  He shows a whole range of emotions and complexity. 

We don't get to see this as much with BH since he generally likes to keep it superficial. So except for when he has existential crises, we hardly get to see more of his introspective, more serious thoughts.

Also, I think, the royal couple make a good pair because they don't have any resentment or built up frustrations regarding each other - they vent it out (although it's their servants who take the brunt of it most times) - they yell and argue with each other and more importantly, you have a husband who listens to everything his wife has to say!

Yep, it's great how much they communicate when they actually get a chance for a face to face talk.

I think if it wasn't BH, CJ would not have fallen in love with SY as things stood. 

SY was too used to suffering in silence.

Even when she said he should love her, how was CJ supposed to understand what she meant? I don't  know if she never got the chance or just never tried to communicate with CJ. But she was constrained with the strict behavior rules of her time and her being a Kim.  BH smashed through all those rules and caught CJ's attention enough for him to pay attention. It gave the opening for him to see that things were not what CJ thought they were.  It was the flaws that BH showed proudly that made him special in CJ's eyes.

He is a constant mystery for CJ that keeps him fascinated.  A puzzle that morphs just when he thought he had it figured out.

And I don't think that SY would have been ruthless enough or sneaky enough to help CJ win the fight in the palace.  BH's sneaky, unorthodox ways might just be what will help tip things in CJ's favor.

If BH goes all in and allies with CJ as shown in the preview then I look forward to how they will shake things up.  I hope that we get to see BH finally take a stand and choose to actively fight instead of staying in the sidelines. He was in the Special Forces after all LOL.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 7

2 hours ago, cdcotr said:

If BH goes all in and allies with CJ as shown in the preview then I look forward to how they will shake things up.  

Love this quote of yours.

Yes Sobong always go all in doesn't it? The way s(he) kisses or gambles or cooks or pull cheoljong out of the well. S(he) never really does things in half. And I guess that's part of her charm - just focus on the present and react accordingly and passionately.

And is it only me? I think our king and queen could afford to show a little more skin in the morning after scene for more realistic effect :joy:  

Edited by kwayteow_mama
  • Like 5
  • Blob 2

I think someone asked for this gif? Special Director Hong is freaking hilarious! His exaggerated movements are so cheesy LMAO :joy:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Does anybody know the background music whenever Hong Yeon sees her crush? Is it something made for Mr Queen or is it music from somewhere else?

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

I think soyong from the brief snippets that we see was quite a strong person in that she understood the court politics but she still made herself clear...  she confronted hwajin... cheoljong and the grand queen dowager... but in a more nuanced way... ie the language was still veiled...and still powerless to change things... then with the final rejection decided to take her life....

but having bonghwan taking residence and deciphering her memories... he basically mansplained it to CJ...

so for me it’s like those heart transplant k dramas... the body n heart still beat instinctively for the one she crushed on all those years. 
actually both SY n CJ don’t really know each other except for that time in the well.....

Plus BI told him what a great girl she was...

so I’m hoping the heroic feelings are SY but layered now with the bravado of BH..

BH struck me as a bit of a cad... more wily and hence a good sense of self preservation.

im obviously team soyong....

very taken by the memories coming through...

but hopefully they will do it as that they are truly a single soul ( parallel time lines) as described during her talk about reincarnation 

lol... getting too emotionally invested in this...

@kwayteow_mama

so agree on the very proper bedroom attire in the morning after scene.... 

erm those Korean hanboks are pretty tough to get into... plus post drunken hot night....:scream:... like how?

i think director-nim should be more realistic.... lol...

I so looking forward to that ep 15 scene... when she walks in on him in spy/fighting gear....lol

• Like 5
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

4 hours ago, aisling said:

I think someone asked for this gif? Special Director Hong is freaking hilarious! His exaggerated movements are so cheesy LMAO :joy:

Thank you!

I feel like I am Hong Yeon, crushing on SD Hong and shipping thr King and Queen. 

Thank you again!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 4

@mushforbrains me too! and today is only day 2.. ah the bane of watching ongoing dramas!!! 

spacer.png

i hope the ramyeon scene is not a troll though.. please, director-nim, as good as the many goodies in the show fan service is part of equation too :sparklyeyes:

is there like an unwritten rule in the world of korean acting that only 1 passionate real kiss/ make out scene is allowed per drama (esp for actors/actresses who gets more luxury to keep their image)? cos i noticed after the ep 8/9 make out scene, the rest of the kiss scene is kind of touch and go and cut off before their lips are in real contact.. or maybe covid precaution i dunno

i'm also hoping there will be a pregnant scene!!! with sobong's reactive nature (keep seducing the king without any precaution spacer.png ) it should be quite interesting!!!

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, aisling said:

Does anybody know the background music whenever Hong Yeon sees her crush? Is it something made for Mr Queen or is it music from somewhere else?

I don't know, but it gets funnier every time I hear it because I know we're about to revisit our third-tier, over-wrought love triangle. BTW, you know where this has to go to complete the loop, right? When Hong Yeon confesses her love to Hong, what do you want to bet he lets her down gently by saying his heart belongs to another. Glances at Kim Hwan doing something in suggestive slo-mo and that music starts up again...

(Remember how he reacted when Kim Hwan brought that other dude over to drink?)

Edited by Raffles
  • Like 2
  • LOL 7

I have to say that DH, the little girl had more integrity, loyalty and courage than any of the adults there except maybe for CJ. Smart to notice and figure that poison was in the ice.  I thought at first the rock was thrown by CJ, but she did it. Her initial interruption bought time and she didn't give up and threw that rock knowing the possible consequences. Amazing and good acting too.

Kim Hwan (?) is adorable. I hope the Special Director(?) is at least sincere in the friendship and not just using him purely for spying purposes. I get that he uses him to pump for info on the Kim clan and other goings on as KH seems to be able to just hear everything going on., but I do hope that there is some genuine friendship there as he is one of the few truly good characters on the Kim side. His pure soul is actually quite similar to HY's.  I wonder if he's shot more scenes and they just cut it out bec it feels like his character is under-utilized and feels disconnected from the rest of the story and main cast except  for when they pump him for info.  I remember he really worried about his friend of less than an hour, Lee SM (BH's assumed male identity) after he "disappeared".  Maybe if he was around BI more, he'd talk him out of his improper ideas on the queen. or not ...

Favorite scenes were when BH has his existential crises monologues LOL.  Fascinating stuff.

Also the scenes where he shared SY's thoughts, feelings and state of mind to her father and also to CJ.  It gave SY a voice and us a window to a person who has largely been an unknown from the start.  As someone posted before, she's been more of a plot device rather than a character of her own.  You can tell that neither the father nor CJ had any clue.  SY became the model daughter bec of survivor's guilt (her mother died at her birth) and so has learned to just accept everything and suffer in silence. Which worked against her when she was trying to build a relationship with CJ.

I think her father truly loves her but was blinded by greed and probably influenced by KJG to do the dirty work for him. Keeping that log of bribes would have been good insurance/ bargaining chip for SY in case things go bad.

I wonder how everyone knew abt the existence if this book in the first place. How did they all know???

I do hope they get to rebuild their father-daughter relationship as BH even said right after the confrontation that it is too easy to blame the parent.  SY also has to take some responsibility for her silence and actions.  I have a feeling if she said something, her father would have done what she asked.  He is the one Kim (ok 2nd bec - Kim Hwan) that doesn't make my stomach turn.

One question I had was why did CJ not keep his guards? Were they criminals? But they walked free...At that point, he took power so he could have had them use their real ID and kept them on as his guards and he would at least been sure of their loyalty.

That look of guilt and remorse on CJ's face when BH confronted him with how SY felt the night she killed herself was oddly satisfying. LOL

Glad that BH finally took the initiative to learn more abt SY's memories. He needed to be more proactive abt it so he's not blindsided all the time.  It took him long enough! But how did he know that jumping in the lake will help him remember?

KJG telling SY that women have no real power beyond bearing heirs is ironic considering he has to always bow down to the great dowager queen. She orders him around and yells at him often and he has to just take it.

That monk smiling while he said that someone was going to die was creepy.

Using ice as a carrier for the poison was clever.

I wonder if Byeong In used SY/BH's memory loss as an opportunity to get closer to her and take advantage.  From the flashback (thank you show for finally answering this question of mine from wk 1!!) SY clearly rejected his advances and even threatened to kill herself if he approached.  So he knew where he stood with her. It was as if it never happened.

His ability to deny reality is astounding.

So he accepts her being married to the king but then bec he saw her in pain without context,  assumes it's all the King's fault and this is enough justification for him to cross a line and kiss her, assume power, throw his weight around, arrogantly confront the King, ignore the queen's reputation, scheme behind his father's back and ally with the GDQ.

BH clearly told him again not to cross the line and to leave him alone, and he takes that as a signal to escalate his actions and increase his ambition.  Talk about losing touch with reality! They're not even in the same international area code.

His love has now turned into obsession which recognizes no obstacles.  What SY wants doesn't seem to matter anymore,  he no longer hears her. 

Just as HJ doesn't really love CJ IMO. True love would always take into account what your object of affection's needs and wants. At the least, do no harm.  But HJ (bec of jealousy), by giving that log book to the dowager queen, single-handedly brought so much damage to CJ's cause. She deprived him of a weapon, and gave his enemies ammunition. 

She treats him like a possession that no one else is allowed to have. Forgetting the fact that she "got" him under false pretences in the first place.  So now her hate for SY has surpassed her feelings for him to such an extent that she willingly sold her out to KJG even though what BH did helped CJ. So she's gone to the Jo's side and to the Kim's side - to whoever will get her the results she wants - the queen dead. 

She's not in denial, it's bec she knows full well how much the King now cares for the Queen that she is getting desperate and more reckless to keep what she thinks is hers and get rid of the competition.

The Dowager queen said it before,her hate is such that her focus is so narrowed to just the Queen, that she misses the big picture. So she's an easy pawn to use for his enemies. While she's such a big risk for CJ and his plans.  I really hope someone will figure out that she's not the innocent trustworthy ally they thought she was.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 3
  • Blob 1